ImageImage

OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#241 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:46 pm

Anybody been to the Shawarma House in Brookfield? Heading over there for dinner tonight

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#242 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 2, 2017 8:51 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:Can someone recommend a good morning or afternoon Wisconsin sports radio show that streams online?

Spoiler:

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#243 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Aug 2, 2017 9:14 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:It's amazing how little sports talk actually happens. I turned on 1250 this morning and they spent 10 minutes on some stupid bet for Bart and chuck. So I flipped to 540 and it was as 10 minutes about lavar ball. Ugh.

It's what I hate about sports talk in this town the most. Either the talking about non-sports or the talk of national sports. I tune into local shows because I want to hear about local sports. If I wanted to hear about national stories I'd tune in to LeBatard or Dan Patrick or something.

I get this, but I also understand that it's really hard to find things to talk about during this time of year that will actually attract an audience. Sure, they could go in-depth on the Brewers, and find themselves getting calls from morons who thought the Brewers should have traded for "that Kershaw guy" from the Dodgers. They could talk about the Bucks, but nothing is going on there right now other than speculation about a Kyrie trade that you can only talk about for so long before it gets boring as hell. The Packers just started TC and there isn't a lot to talk about there until the preseason starts getting into full swing. And the Badgers are not relevant until the season starts.

There's a lot to talk about on the soccer front, but none of these idiots on the air know a damn thing about soccer and most of the audience doesn't care.

The gap of time between around the end of the NBA free agency moratorium and the start of the NFL season is the worst time to talk about sports.

I think they are being lazy. There was a 4 day stretch where everytime I turned it on in the morning they were talking about the bet where Bart would play chuck in golf and Bart would get 2 shots each time. You're telling me they couldn't come up with a personality fluff piece where they bring on a couple of guests that say who the best golfers, etc are on the packers. At least make it about the teams you are covering instead of dumb banter.

It's the inability to be creative on topics or bring in interesting guests. Bring in random Packers from the 90s and Im sure each one has a crazy unique story about the time brett favre did..... Have a packer or buck of the day where they find interesting stuff on the guy and bring information to the table instead of just making dumb comments. There are 50 guys on the packers and everyone has a former high school coach or college teammate that could fill an hour.

Part of it is the lack of resources and money. You aren't going to get the talent that will make every show interesting and willing to find stories. Part of it is also the audience that would rather make dumb comments without learning more about the team or situation. Easier to just say the Bucks suck.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Re: RE: Re: OT General Off Topic Thread - [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#244 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:55 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
It's what I hate about sports talk in this town the most. Either the talking about non-sports or the talk of national sports. I tune into local shows because I want to hear about local sports. If I wanted to hear about national stories I'd tune in to LeBatard or Dan Patrick or something.

I get this, but I also understand that it's really hard to find things to talk about during this time of year that will actually attract an audience. Sure, they could go in-depth on the Brewers, and find themselves getting calls from morons who thought the Brewers should have traded for "that Kershaw guy" from the Dodgers. They could talk about the Bucks, but nothing is going on there right now other than speculation about a Kyrie trade that you can only talk about for so long before it gets boring as hell. The Packers just started TC and there isn't a lot to talk about there until the preseason starts getting into full swing. And the Badgers are not relevant until the season starts.

There's a lot to talk about on the soccer front, but none of these idiots on the air know a damn thing about soccer and most of the audience doesn't care.

The gap of time between around the end of the NBA free agency moratorium and the start of the NFL season is the worst time to talk about sports.

I think they are being lazy. There was a 4 day stretch where everytime I turned it on in the morning they were talking about the bet where Bart would play chuck in golf and Bart would get 2 shots each time. You're telling me they couldn't come up with a personality fluff piece where they bring on a couple of guests that say who the best golfers, etc are on the packers. At least make it about the teams you are covering instead of dumb banter.

It's the inability to be creative on topics or bring in interesting guests. Bring in random Packers from the 90s and Im sure each one has a crazy unique story about the time brett favre did..... Have a packer or buck of the day where they find interesting stuff on the guy and bring information to the table instead of just making dumb comments. There are 50 guys on the packers and everyone has a former high school coach or college teammate that could fill an hour.

Part of it is the lack of resources and money. You aren't going to get the talent that will make every show interesting and willing to find stories. Part of it is also the audience that would rather make dumb comments without learning more about the team or situation. Easier to just say the Bucks suck.
I'm not going to comment on anyone other than the shows I listen to on 540. I haven't found a show on another local sports radio station worth listening to.

But your Packers idea has literally been done over and over and over and over again throughout the years. They squeeze everything they can out of those guys. It's just...how many times can you have those guys come on the show to talk about the 90s teams? As Tony Soprano once said, "Remember when" is the lowest form of conversation, especially if it's been done so many **** times.

People want to comment about what's going on today. And unfortunately, that means that dumbasses like Lavar Ball get more coverage than they should. But there ARE entertaining ways to do if you have the talent. Le Batard - who started as a local guy - smashes it out of the park on his radio show because he knows how to be insightful without being pretentious or without taking himself too seriously.

I agree that resources is a bit of a problem. I think callers are generally terrible to listen to as well.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#245 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 2, 2017 11:47 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Anybody been to the Shawarma House in Brookfield? Heading over there for dinner tonight

The shawarma, falafel, rice, and baba ganoush was good, the kabobs were meh.

Spoiler:

VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,840

Post#246 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 1:57 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Did you actually see an estimate that said $800 or did she just tell you? Make sure there are TWO estimates. From legit sources.

Yeah, she sent me the estimate. Only one though.

I guess I'm afraid if I ask for a second, she'll just say "screw it, I'll go through the insurance".
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#247 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:17 am

Yeah. Don't poke the bear.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#248 » by humanrefutation » Fri Aug 4, 2017 2:57 am

Highly Questionable is so damn funny sometimes.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,295

Post#249 » by KidA24 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:08 pm

If anyone wants to watch high level Ultimate Frisbee, USA Ultimate is streaming games on facebook from the 2017 US Open Club Championships, including a game with NOISE out of Madison coming up shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/usaultimate/videos/
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,046

Post#250 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:52 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Highly Questionable is so damn funny sometimes.

I finally put my DVR to use this week by setting a permanent recording. Don't regret it, the show is awesome.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#251 » by humanrefutation » Sat Aug 5, 2017 3:08 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Highly Questionable is so damn funny sometimes.

I finally put my DVR to use this week by setting a permanent recording. Don't regret it, the show is awesome.

HQ is the only daily show that's must-watch for me. I hope it stays that way even with Bomani's departure. Looks like DLB is trying out a different co-host every week. Foxworth would be the easiest choice. Marty Smith was surprisingly fine. Jay Williams is clearly desperate for the gig. Kimes can be delightful.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#252 » by humanrefutation » Sun Aug 6, 2017 5:59 pm

In Phoenix for a wedding. It's 110°F outside. All this stuff about it being a "dry heat" is irrelevant when it's that hot outside.
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,161

Post#253 » by JEIS » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:29 pm

humanrefutation wrote:In Phoenix for a wedding. It's 110°F outside. All this stuff about it being a "dry heat" is irrelevant when it's that hot outside.

You will likely sweat less though. I could walk around in 110 degree heat without swetting like a pig. When it is 80 and muggy, I turn into frosty the snowman and start melting.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#254 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:32 pm

Just got the new(ish) update for realgm app on my iphone- anybody know how to subscribe to forums with it? I have to go through the process of choosing "sports forums" then "basketball forums" then "team forums" then finding "MIlwaukee Bucks" etc.

I'm disappointed that you still can't read tweets people post. But now threads have pictures or a gifs on them before you open them so..hooray.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#255 » by bigkurty » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:34 am

These Lasry's sure know some people. Apparently Bill and Hillary Clinton are there too.
Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#256 » by Mags FTW » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:16 am

bigkurty wrote:These Lasry's sure know some people. Apparently Bill and Hillary Clinton are there too.
Read on Twitter

But what are the Edens girls wearing?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#257 » by humanrefutation » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:05 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:Just got the new(ish) update for realgm app on my iphone- anybody know how to subscribe to forums with it? I have to go through the process of choosing "sports forums" then "basketball forums" then "team forums" then finding "MIlwaukee Bucks" etc.

I'm disappointed that you still can't read tweets people post. But now threads have pictures or a gifs on them before you open them so..hooray.
Tapatalk added embedded tweets recently and it's been awesome.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#258 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Aug 7, 2017 1:21 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:Just got the new(ish) update for realgm app on my iphone- anybody know how to subscribe to forums with it? I have to go through the process of choosing "sports forums" then "basketball forums" then "team forums" then finding "MIlwaukee Bucks" etc.

Tapatalk added embedded tweets recently and it's been awesome.

When I saw they had an update, I was sure that was one thing they'd fix. Oh well. Pictures on threads is cool too.

If anyone can tell me how to subscribe to forums with the new mobile app, let me know!
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

Post#259 » by Buck Dweller » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:54 pm

if you get tapatalk, you can subscribe to forums plus get embedded tweets/videos. not sure if the real gm app can do the same.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#260 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:30 pm

BucksIn6ix wrote:

if you get tapatalk, you can subscribe to forums plus get embedded tweets/videos. not sure if the real gm app can do the same.

Thanks! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find out what tapatalk is...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks