ImageImage

Wisconsin Herd Thread - Bender Assigned

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MrHoneycutt
Bench Warmer
And1: 973

Re: Wisconsin Herd Thread - Bender Assigned 

Post#1001 » by MrHoneycutt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:48 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:Wait, so now I need ESPN+ to watch Herd games? I used to just go to their website and press play.

This disappoints me too. I thought all games were on the G-league app/Facebook/Twitch. Looks like this one is only ESPN+ and the local Green Bay affiliate? Wanted to tune in to take a look at Thanasis
Fresh_Prince12
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,700

Post#1002 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:50 am

Lol. Thansis to Bender does not equal Giannis to Brook
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 15,109

Post#1003 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 am

I don't mind the games being on ESPN+ at all. I just installed the app on my Xbox and I'm watching the game on my big screen.

ESPN+ is a pretty good deal, just like Insider was. I've had a subscription for about a decade and never regretted it at all.
Magic Giannison wrote:TRADE GIANNIS

4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 295

Post#1004 » by 4xBuck » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:59 am

Jones: 11 mins, 10 rebs... 8-)
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1005 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:01 am

Bender's been fantastic.

Fresh_Prince12
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,700

Post#1006 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Bender's been fantastic.

You didn’t see his first half. I got scared there for a second.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 16,883

Post#1007 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 8,982

Post#1008 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Bender back to Oshkosh tonight as the Herd take on the Raptors 905. Bucks legend Tyler Ennis returns to Wisconsin with the Raptors.
chonestown
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,828

Post#1009 » by chonestown » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Bender back to Oshkosh tonight as the Herd take on the Raptors 905. Bucks legend Tyler Ennis returns to Wisconsin with the Raptors.

Gotta wonder who the G-League equivalent to Drake is. Choclair? Saukrates? The two dudes in Main Source who weren't Large Professor? Feel like there needs to be a flame war in which the majesty of the Oshkosh skyline is compared favorably to the paltry <googles> Mississauga equivalent. Anyway, go Herd.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
4xBuck
Sixth Man

Post#1010 » by 4xBuck » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1011 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Life’s circumstances have led to me living in the same area code as the Wisconsin Herd for the month of November. As you can imagine, I’ve taken full advantage of this unexpected opportunity to #HerdOut by being front and center for the first two home games. I also caught the condensed version of the revenge win over Windy City & Friday’s big comeback vs the Raptors 905 in its entirety.

The most important takeaway (as it relates to the Bucks) is that Dragan Bender is going to be a productive NBA player. Whenever that chance arrives we’ll be reading glowing exposees of his reclamation & lament filled tweets from fans wondering how he slipped through the cracks. He’s huge, nimble, fluid, smart and fully bought in. His veins are flowing with Bucks/Budenholzer DNA. That’s the the “dribble, pass, shoot” DNA emphasized over the last two seasons, not the “raw, long, unskilled athlete “DNA that Hammond loaded in tubes & took to Orlando with him. Defensively, he’s obviously paid close attention to the way Brook Lopez operates within Bud’s scheme. Bender stays at home and stays vertical. He’s done a masterful job keeping his hands high and straight, not getting out of position to gamble for blocks in the fashion of Christian Wood. He was vocal in communicating to his teammates & had a full grip on the Bucks funneling everything towards contested midrange jumpers instead of layups. His toughest matchup so far has been the jaw droppingly athletic Daniel Gafford. The explosiveness of Gafford level athletes pops so much differently in person. There were a few plays where Gafford was able to get up over/around Bender and a few more where Bender closed off the initial penetration only to be made to look silly by a Gafford slam after a drop off pass or put back, which is more on the Herd teammates for not helping out.

Offensively, he’s gotten more competitive and aggressive in every game he played. He’s been outstanding attacking the offensive glass and looks really fluid grabbing & going off defensive rebounds. He’s got a really pure, nice looking jumper that he’s not afraid to hoist over smaller defenders in a Brook- esque fashion. There was a moment where DJ Hogg had Bender wide open at the arc and hesitated too long before finally getting it to the big Croatian. Bender still splashed thee three and let Hogg know that he **** up, which I think is a good sign. He’s also been able to leverage his shot with some impressive drives off pump fakes for buckets. G-league refs are capable of being as bad as you’d think and he’s been getting absolutely clobbered at times & still been able to finish/stay aggressive.

One of my worries was that Bender would be “over it.” A former #4 pick with a rep for being soft & disinterested who reportedly flirted with ditching the NBA all together over the summer. He’s from a land of fresh seafood and seaside espresso sipping and spent his last four winters in Arizona. Would Bender really be humble enough aspire towards the best version of himself in the frozen hinterlands of Oshkosh? Yes. He seems to have a really good rapport with Chase Buford, staff and teammates. Bender had a big smile on his face as he dapped up a front row fan after helping lead a 17 point comeback. He laughed at the expression of dance put forth by the cheese curd loving timeout contestants. He looks (and plays) noticeably stronger than even when we first saw him at the early October scrimmage. There’s a palpable intelligence to him that gives me hope. I think he respects and appreciates the intelligence he sees in Bud & the staff Bud’s put together, the type of structure & attention to detail he hasn’t seen at the NBA level yet.

Before you accuse me of Croatian favoritism, know that I’ve never been a fan of Bender. I pretty much wrote him off after the 2017 Eurobasket, when he played soft & like he didn’t want to be there. It’s almost always a terrible sign when a Euro mails it in for their national team & I figured he was on his way to becoming a garbage man’s Bargnani. But Bender’s much smarter than Bargnani, and he’s becoming much tougher.

That’s it for now. Check back throughout the week of thoughts on the rest of the roster, coach Buford, notable individual opponents & Oshkosh in game entertainment.
chonestown
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,828

Post#1012 » by chonestown » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Hell's bells, boy, that's some elite posting.

Great stuff here. Officially optimistic for Drag-On. Someone needs to put together his Oshkosh highlight set off against "Ruff Ryders Theme."
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,607

Post#1013 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Loved that CD post, but I'll be honest - to me, Gafford looks almost like a carbon copy of Christian Wood - with a little more strength and without 3 point range. Bender's gotta cut down on the turnovers, but I'm a big believer in his ability. I'd like to see him stick with Milwaukee and learn from Giannis - not how to play but how to work and love the game.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
LuessiT
Head Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1014 » by LuessiT » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Love that Bender seems to be buying in. After all even if you believe that Bender will turn it around, he'll need more than 2 years to significantly contribute but he's a UFA by then. Good to have his goodwill towards the Bucks organization when that happens.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 18,231

Post#1015 » by emunney » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Jemerrio Jones putting up that 8-17-4 /36 line.
NY Daily News wrote:Eddy Curry claims he slept for only two hours Sunday night because he couldn't stop thinking about ghosts.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1016 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:22 pm

emunney wrote:Jemerrio Jones putting up that 8-17-4 /36 line.

Jones is tenacious as hell but I was really surprised by how small he is. Denzel Valentine had a good two inches on him. Puts his body on the line and gets into the eye of every board battle. Feel anxious for everyone involved when he dribbles or shoots.
4xBuck
Sixth Man

Post#1017 » by 4xBuck » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:14 am

Just watched the Herd vs Magic condensed game.... 5th win in a row for the Herd.

This is gonna be a fun team this year. They have the #1 offense in the GL. The first two years the Bucks/Herd went with a lot of GL vets. They went young this year and it's working.

The biggest thing is Tucker is looking like a real prospect.
4xBuck
Sixth Man

Post#1018 » by 4xBuck » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:32 am

Watching Herd vs Knicks on my phone... Herd up 12 early in the 2nd.

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20191122/WISWES/
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 9,217

Post#1019 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:11 am

Any reason Bender wasn't playing? Wonder if tomorrow is the first game he suits up for the main club.
ReasonablySober
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1020 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:20 am

The Herd being good is really fun.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks