ImageImage

Wisconsin Herd Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Re: Wisconsin Herd Thread - Bender Assigned 

Post#1141 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:44 pm

Sam Dekker’s Russian team had a very disappointing Eurocup season that resulted in an early coach firing, which isn’t surprising considering he was trying to play Dekker, Johnny O’Bryant and Alan Willians together. I don’t think much of Dekker as an NBA player but if he’s tired of Russia and feels like returning home to the 920 for a few months he’d be really good for the Herd.

Johnny O’Bryant plays like Chris Copeland now by the way. It’s weird.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#1142 » by stellation » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Sam Dekker’s Russian team had a very disappointing Eurocup season that resulted in an early coach firing, which isn’t surprising considering he was trying to play Dekker, Johnny O’Bryant and Alan Willians together. I don’t think much of Dekker as an NBA player but if he’s tired of Russia and feels like returning home to the 920 for a few months he’d be really good for the Herd.

Very on brand content.
#FreeChuckDiesel
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,161

Post#1143 » by skones » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:35 pm

This is going to be a lot more interesting when these two ways become full on minor league development system. The Herd establishing themselves as an organization where opportunity is given and then seized to the degree of an NBA callup could help in a big way then that happens.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1144 » by Chuck Diesel » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:47 pm

skones wrote:This is going to be a lot more interesting when these two ways become full on minor league development system. The Herd establishing themselves as an organization where opportunity is given and then seized to the degree of an NBA callup could help in a big way then that happens.

We’ve been at that point for two and a half years...
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#1145 » by Beorn » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Sam Dekker’s Russian team had a very disappointing Eurocup season that resulted in an early coach firing, which isn’t surprising considering he was trying to play Dekker, Johnny O’Bryant and Alan Willians together. I don’t think much of Dekker as an NBA player but if he’s tired of Russia and feels like returning home to the 920 for a few months he’d be really good for the Herd.

This team was a HOT mess, partly because they hired incompetents like Luca Banchi and Pashutin, and partly because they assembled a team of overpaid chuckers who don't play D or pass :) 19M budget only to get eliminated to a lithuanian team not coached by Jasikevicius, 75yo Sami Mejia, Mike Bramos' and Austin Daye's favorite vacation spot and a team coached by Andrea Trinchieri

I had high hopes for JOB but he is too soft. Dekker was always a bad pro player.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,717

Post#1146 » by emunney » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:38 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
skones wrote:This is going to be a lot more interesting when these two ways become full on minor league development system. The Herd establishing themselves as an organization where opportunity is given and then seized to the degree of an NBA callup could help in a big way then that happens.

Think he means more along the lines of baseball. Some period of control over all Herd players.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
skones
RealGM

Post#1147 » by skones » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:35 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
skones wrote:This is going to be a lot more interesting when these two ways become full on minor league development system. The Herd establishing themselves as an organization where opportunity is given and then seized to the degree of an NBA callup could help in a big way when that happens.

No. It hasn't.
skones
RealGM

Post#1148 » by skones » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:37 am

emunney wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

Think he means more along the lines of baseball. Some period of control over all Herd players.

Bingo.

The league is in place to eventually be that.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,578

Post#1149 » by ShootingtheJ » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Bender is back, and will be with the Herd tomorrow night.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1150 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:36 pm

emunney wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

I'm not entirely sure how MLB minor league works in regards to players rights but I don't see the point/viability of the model you describe in the NBA/G-league. Feel like restricting/controlling every roster slot would really disincentivise players from choosing the G-league. Why give up all your leverage in signing with 29 other NBA teams? Unless they hike every salary to at least six figures I don’t know how that conversation gets off the ground.
skones
RealGM

Post#1151 » by skones » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
emunney wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

I'm not entirely sure how MLB minor league works in regards to players rights but I don't see the point/viability of the model you describe in the NBA/G-league. Feel like restricting/controlling every roster slot would really disincentivise players from choosing the G-league. Why give up all your leverage in signing with 29 other NBA teams? Unless they hike every salary to at least six figures I don’t know how that conversation gets off the ground.

I don't know why hiking salaries to 100K a year for a minor league development system isn't viable. A full on roster controlled development system would do a heck of a lot for the level of competition and overall attendance numbers.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1152 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:45 pm

skones wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
emunney wrote:

I don't know why hiking salaries to 100K a year for a minor league development system isn't viable. A full on roster controlled development system would do a heck of a lot for the level of competition and overall attendance numbers.

I've personally been in favor of greatly increasing G-league salaries for a long time. It's not having happened yet and the introduction of the 2-ways keeps me skeptical.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=775281&p=15934151&hilit=my+plan+Chuck+Diesel#p15934151
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1153 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:16 pm

No more Tucker should mean more shots/touches for Dragan Bender. Looking forward to Bender showing off his development in extended minutes during the tanking/resting stretch in March and April.
skones
RealGM

Post#1154 » by skones » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:
skones wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

I've personally been in favor of greatly increasing G-league salaries for a long time. It's not having happened yet and the introduction of the 2-ways keeps me skeptical.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=775281&p=15934151&hilit=my+plan+Chuck+Diesel#p15934151

I mean, we're in what, year 3 of the expansion push? It's very early yet. We've got a couple of teams without affiliates. It's going to be a slow trickle, and the addition of two way contracts is part of that slow push towards that IMO.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#1155 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:45 am

Nice undermanned win for the Herd tonight down Adams, Jones, Maye & obviously Tucker. Caught some first half action during which Bender was doing some impressive stuff off the dribble & Bogues (Tucker's replacement) was hitting some very non Bucks mid range pull ups, which he's pretty good at. Herd in some very slick "Oshkosh Aviator" threads.

Fun to see the Dwarvish former MU bucket Rowsey running around for Lakeland. Josh Magette is always a pleasure.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,004

Post#1156 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:35 am

I really hope Bender can turn into a contributor to the Bucks. I still have irrational draft hope for him.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#1157 » by ShootingtheJ » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Really impressive work being done with the Herd this year. They're so deep. AJ Hess was on one last night, he scored 22 off the bench on 11 shots. Bogues was good again, he quickness and length, gets to the basket and finishes. Like Jones he just needs to develop the 3 ball. Bender was really good defensively despite no blocks. McCoy is developing some offense, but is way behind Bender defensively. Hogg was off last night, but was outstanding the game before. Skilled and agile for 6'9".

The only disappointment here is the 2 way players. Reynolds isn't much of an athlete and hasn't developed at all. Tucker doesn't fit. He's a selfish over-dribbler who provides no defense. He's tough to watch. I'd be surprised if they both aren't replaced soon.
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,117

Post#1158 » by Shaffty » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:04 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:Really impressive work being done with the Herd this year. They're so deep. AJ Hess was on one last night, he scored 22 off the bench on 11 shots. Bogues was good again, he quickness and length, gets to the basket and finishes. Like Jones he just needs to develop the 3 ball. Bender was really good defensively despite no blocks. McCoy is developing some offense, but is way behind Bender defensively. Hogg was off last night, but was outstanding the game before. Skilled and agile for 6'9".

The only disappointment here is the 2 way players. Reynolds isn't much of an athlete and hasn't developed at all. Tucker doesn't fit. He's a selfish over-dribbler who provides no defense. He's tough to watch. I'd be surprised if they both aren't replaced soon.

Cam is weird, his game isn't really going to flourish in the G-League setting he needs him teammates to set him up and cant really create for himself. I think he would look a lot better on the Bucks catching and shooting off Giannis than he will in the G League
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1159 » by crkone » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:38 am

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach

Post#1160 » by ShootingtheJ » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:32 am

Shaffty wrote:
ShootingtheJ wrote:Really impressive work being done with the Herd this year. They're so deep. AJ Hess was on one last night, he scored 22 off the bench on 11 shots. Bogues was good again, he quickness and length, gets to the basket and finishes. Like Jones he just needs to develop the 3 ball. Bender was really good defensively despite no blocks. McCoy is developing some offense, but is way behind Bender defensively. Hogg was off last night, but was outstanding the game before. Skilled and agile for 6'9".

Cam is weird, his game isn't really going to flourish in the G-League setting he needs him teammates to set him up and cant really create for himself. I think he would look a lot better on the Bucks catching and shooting off Giannis than he will in the G League

Cam gets TONS of open looks on the Herd. He just doesn't take advantage, and doesn't contribute in any other way. He was brutal tonight, and was destroyed all weekend by the player that should replace him on the 2 way, Vic Law. They should definitely not let Law leave Oshkosh.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks