ImageImage

Giannis Giannis Giannis

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Re: Giannis Giannis Giannis - NBA Development - Out of Tourney With Knee Injury 8/19 

Post#901 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:Please try to understand that Greece is not the government and the Greek NT is not the BBall federation.
Its like saying USA is actually Donald Trump.
Giannis would play for the fans, his teammates his friends etc.
Also please bear in mind that Giannis is in fact, you know...Greek

PS.Most of us hate the goverment

And if Giannis blows out a knee, I'm guessing all of whoever you are talking about will not be nearly as concerned about him and send him back to the U.S to pick up the pieces

Um what?

If Giannis has a career ending knee injury that loses him 200 million dollars because he bowed to the pressure of playing for a $50 medal, what do you suggest he should do next ? No big deal to your NT if he goes back to selling pencils ?
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Re: Giannis Giannis Giannis - NBA Development - Out of Tourney With Knee Injury 8/19 

Post#902 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:13 pm

DanoMac wrote:Lol this Greek revolt is hilarious. We pay the guy $100 million, and he has knee problems, and they're still arguing. Really bad look.

I hated him playing there in the Summer, and hope he never does again. He's slowly graduating into the "not a kid anymore" phase, he needs rest.

Plus they don't have smoothies over there
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#903 » by SKG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:15 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
And if Giannis blows out a knee, I'm guessing all of whoever you are talking about will not be nearly as concerned about him and send him back to the U.S to pick up the pieces

Um what?

If Giannis has a career ending knee injury that loses him 200 million dollars because he bowed to the pressure of playing for a $50 medal, what do you suggest he should do next ?

If giannis was all for the money he would taken that 50 extra mil from the bucks
Instead he took less than porter
Nikos_Kalantas
Freshman
And1: 22

Post#904 » by Nikos_Kalantas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:16 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Um what?

If Giannis has a career ending knee injury that loses him 200 million dollars because he bowed to the pressure of playing for a $50 medal, what do you suggest he should do next ?

I thought we were talking about the distinction between Greece (the actual country) and its government.
But since you are asking, if he (god forbid) has an injury in preseason that costs him 200 million dollars while not even competing for a 200 dollar cup what do you suggest that he does?
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#905 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
Um what?

I thought we were talking about the distinction between Greece (the actual country) and its government.
But since you are asking, if he (god forbid) has an injury in preseason that costs him 200 million dollars while not even competing for a 200 dollar cup what do you suggest that he does?

It's one thing to have an injury playing for the team that pays your 100 million dollar paycheck. It's totally another to risk it playing for someone else for nothing.
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#906 » by SKG » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Middleton on his injury

"I was playing pickup on Tuesday, and I slipped on a wet spot," Middleton told reporters when asked about how he injured his hamstring.

Thats what the teams need to do
You forbid players to do stupid things like pick up games

Playing in the toughest competition in the world for national teams is not the same

Im 100% sure giannis would choose a gold with Greece before an MVP
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#907 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:27 pm

SKG wrote:Middleton on his injury

"I was playing pickup on Tuesday, and I slipped on a wet spot," Middleton told reporters when asked about how he injured his hamstring.

Thats what the teams need to do
You forbid players to do stupid things like pick up games

Playing in the toughest competition in the world for national teams is not the same

Im 100% sure giannis would choose a gold with Greece before an MVP

yea right :roll:
Nikos_Kalantas
Freshman

Post#908 » by Nikos_Kalantas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:33 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

It's one thing to have an injury playing for the team that pays your paycheck. It's totally another to risk it playing for someone else.

OK then its the "we pay him 100 million dollars" argument again.
There is a sport called soccer that has bigger franchises and better payed athletes than basketball where injuries are more frequent.
Just a week ago Neymars transfer cost 220 mil euros.
To my knowledge no team has ever said "we are pulling him from the world cup because he might get injured"(barring pre existing injury of course) even if the stakes and costs are higher.
Fans dont demand their teams player not to play for their NT (even if their NTs are crap and have no chance of winning) just because their team is paying.It would be absurd to do so. Everyone respects the players wish to play for their respected NT.
I realize it is a completely different mindset over there but its just the way it is.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#909 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:

It's one thing to have an injury playing for the team that pays your paycheck. It's totally another to risk it playing for someone else.

There is a sport called soccer that has bigger franchises and better payed athletes than basketball where injuries are more frequent.
To my knowledge no team has ever said "we are pulling him from the world cup because he might get injured"(barring pre existing injury of course) even if the stakes and costs are higher.
Fans dont demand their teams player not to play for their NT (even if their NTs are crap and have no chance of winning) just because their team is paying.It would be absurd to do so. Everyone respects the players wish to play for their respected NT.
I realize it is a completely different mindset over there but its just the way it is.

So fans have no right to demand a player not to play, but its ok for you to demand he should play ? And I believe his current knee issue would qualify as pre existing. And yes - its all about the money. It always has been and it always will be. Without it you sell pencils on a dirty, crime ridden, Greek street corner. It's easy for Greek fans to gamble with Giannis' future. It's simply arguing reality vs fantasy. Fantasy is he plays and fans of Greece can rejoice for a week or two. The reality is that the risk to the remainder of his 15 year career is far too great.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#910 » by Fotis St » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Most here forget when .... Jason Kidd put Giannis in the 4th quarter, something like 3:30 min remaining Bucks down 21 points and Giannis twisted his ankle... thankfully nothing serious, but stop acting like NBA staff don't make stupid decisions to their 100M players
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#911 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Fotis St wrote:Most here forget when .... Jason Kidd put Giannis in the 4th quarter, something like 3:30 min remaining Bucks down 21 points and Giannis twisted his ankle... thankfully nothing serious, but stop acting like NBA staff don't make stupid decisions to their 100M players

Key word is their
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#912 » by M-C-G » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:57 pm

So the GNT essentially are saying that Giannis is a co conspirator and a liar. Nice, that should go well.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,888

Post#913 » by Fotis St » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:59 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Fotis St wrote:Most here forget when .... Jason Kidd put Giannis in the 4th quarter, something like 3:30 min remaining Bucks down 21 points and Giannis twisted his ankle... thankfully nothing serious, but stop acting like NBA staff don't make stupid decisions to their 100M players

Key word is their

You don't own the players, you just pay for they services and you can't do anything if Giannis wants to play with the Greek NT.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Nikos_Kalantas
Freshman

Post#914 » by Nikos_Kalantas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

So fans have no right to demand a player not to play, but its ok for you to demand he should play ? And I believe his current knee issue would qualify as pre existing. And yes - its all about the money. It always has been and it always will be. Without it you sell pencils on a dirty, crime ridden, Greek street corner. It's easy for Greek fans to gamble with Giannis' future. It's simply arguing reality vs fantasy

What the fans want or demand is pretty much irrelevant. The player will do whatever he wants both in soccer and in basketball except in the NBA where teams have a say. If this is a pre existing serious injury he should sit it out by all means.
I am only saying that the "We pay him x amount so he should not play because he belongs to us" does not really exist outside the NBA and for me is false.
Bucks are not the only team in the world with international players.There are thousands of them.All risking injury. As they do in practice and preseason.
The notion that it is easy for greek fans to gamble with giannis future is just funny man.
Do you even realize how much of an icon giannis is in greece?
The amount of love he gets?His importance to the sport and in social life especially being an example for young immigrants is incredible.
Anyway as i said, different mindsets
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#915 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm

Fotis St wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Key word is their

You don't own the players, you just pay for they services and you can't do anything if Giannis wants to play with the Greek NT.

That's true. You can't stop him from sky diving or riding a motorcycle or running with the bulls or snorting cocaine either. It's just not the best thing for your career.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#916 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:OK then its the "we pay him 100 million dollars" argument again.

So fans have no right to demand a player not to play, but its ok for you to demand he should play ? And I believe his current knee issue would qualify as pre existing. And yes - its all about the money. It always has been and it always will be. Without it you sell pencils on a dirty, crime ridden, Greek street corner. It's easy for Greek fans to gamble with Giannis' future. It's simply arguing reality vs fantasy

What the fans want or demand is pretty much irrelevant. The player will do whatever he wants both in soccer and in basketball except in the NBA where teams have a say. If this is a pre existing serious injury he should sit it out by all means.
I am only saying that the "We pay him x amount so he should not play because he belongs to us" does not really exist outside the NBA and for me is false.
Bucks are not the only team in the world with international players.There are thousands of them.All risking injury. As they do in practice and preseason.
The notion that it is easy for greek fans to gamble with giannis future is just funny man.
The amount of love he gets?His importance to the sport and in social life especially being an example for young immigrants is incredible.

It has nothing to do with mindset. It has everything to do with risk / reward. Personally, I don't care what he does. Everything I have said pertains in some way to what I would be thinking if I were Giannis. Everything you have said pertains to what you want as a fan. Huge difference. You want him to play for you, I don't think he should because it's an unnecessary risk to his career.
ZeppelinPage
Head Coach
And1: 3,326

Post#917 » by ZeppelinPage » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Suki Hobson looked over Giannis and put him through her tests and if she said he wasn't good to go then I'm 100% with her.
Nikos_Kalantas
Freshman

Post#918 » by Nikos_Kalantas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:17 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

It has nothing to do with mindset. It has everything to do with risk / reward. Personally, I don't care what he does. Everything I have said pertains to what I would be thinking if I were Giannis. Everything you have said pertains to what you want as a fan. Huge difference

Everything I have said pertains to what I would be thinking if I were Giannis. Everything you have said pertains to what you want as a fan. Huge difference

And what Giannis said he wants.Repeatedly. There is no need to speculate.

What would you say the risk/reward was for MJ when he played with the dream team, or manu and dirk that played nt ball well into their 30s, or ronaldo and messi by far the most recognisable and expensive athletes in the world?
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#919 » by sdn40 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:

It has nothing to do with mindset. It has everything to do with risk / reward. Personally, I don't care what he does. Everything I have said pertains to what I would be thinking if I were Giannis. Everything you have said pertains to what you want as a fan. Huge difference

Everything I have said pertains to what I would be thinking if I were Giannis. Everything you have said pertains to what you want as a fan. Huge difference

What would you say the risk/reward was for MJ when he played with the dream team, or manu and dirk that played nt ball well into their 30s, or ronaldo and messi by far the most recognisable and expensive athletes in the world?

Of course Giannis is going to say he wants to play for the NT. What do you expect him to say ? I'm guessing that he would say staying healthy is the most important thing of all. No need to speculate. Risk / reward
I would have the same feelings about the dream team or playing hopscotch or taking showers that may be too hot or ripping the tag off of pillows or anything else. Risk / reward
Nikos_Kalantas
Freshman

Post#920 » by Nikos_Kalantas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Nikos_Kalantas wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Of course Giannis is going to say he wants to play for the NT. What do you expect him to say ? I'm guessing that he would say staying healthy is more important than all of that as well. Risk / reward
I would have the same feelings about the dream team or playing hopscotch or taking showers that may be too hot or ripping the tag off of pillows or anything else. Risk / reward

So wait, are you saying that giannis said he wanted to play for the NT and followed it all over greece but secretly didnt?
I am sure you wouldnt find anyone here or any sane man in greece or wherever that likes giannis that would put a competition above health IF there was a health problem (which in this case might be true).

Return to Milwaukee Bucks