The Greek National Team thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,302

Re: The Greek National Team thread 

Post#661 » by SupremeHustle » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:15 pm

TD75 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:I heard the Brazil coach said something like "It's easy to guard Giannis" after Brazil beat the Greek team.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/928466/aleksandar-petrovic-ive-know-for-six-months-how-to-stop-giannis-garcia-kicked-his-a/

To be honest, indeed other players like Printezis were more of a challenge to Brazil than Giannis. :o

I get it what that coach is saying, but the Bucks ran some terrible, terrible sets in the ECF. The adjustments weren't great. Any decently coached team can stop a playbook with 3 or 4 plays in it.

Notice I said team. No one man can stop Giannis, I don't care what anyone says.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#662 » by truly » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:18 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
TD75 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:I heard the Brazil coach said something like "It's easy to guard Giannis" after Brazil beat the Greek team.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/928466/aleksandar-petrovic-ive-know-for-six-months-how-to-stop-giannis-garcia-kicked-his-a/

To be honest, indeed other players like Printezis were more of a challenge to Brazil than Giannis. :o

I get it what that coach is saying, but the Bucks ran some terrible, terrible sets in the ECF. The adjustments weren't great. Any decently coached team can stop a playbook with 3 or 4 plays in it.

I was told by Toronto basketball experts that Kawhi shut him down though. :D
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
PG Graveyard
Head Coach
And1: 4,443

Post#663 » by PG Graveyard » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:37 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
TD75 wrote:

Certainly doesn't help having that Papagiannis guy clogging the paint and having Giannis stand in the corner while the offense is run through that bald guy that played at Florida.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,372

Post#664 » by blazza18 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:53 pm

truly wrote:Always someone else at fault. :wink:

Hey, man. I'm just here laughing at the motivation shtick by some here. I know what a mess of a roster and coaching Giannis is unfortunately dealing with.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,721

Post#665 » by Plossum » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:46 pm

So Brazil and Greece get to play again in the next round, yeah (assuming Greece beats NZ). That should be interesting.
#LockUpChuck
jvalin
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#666 » by jvalin » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:47 pm

truly wrote:
Coach Carter wrote:It seems we just picked the best players available and as a result there's no outside shooting. You're not winning without outside shooting. Teams play hard d, giannis is nullified; there's no space and his half court offense is his biggest weakness. Either we put the ball in his hands and surround him with the best shooters we have or just send him home because the way he is being used, is a bad look for him.

The thing is we didnt lose because of shooting.We gave up 50 points in 20 minutes.

Even so, the #1 reason we were cruising during the 1st half was our 3pt%. I mean, we hit 7 out of our 12 threes (58.3%) in the 1st half and 2 out of 14 in the 2nd half (14.3%). The Brazilians were happy to man the paint and let us shoot 3 pointers all night long. No way we make a deep run in the World Cup, unless we somehow hit those open threes with some consistency.

truly wrote:Also Giannis + shooters is not realistic.This isnt a team where you can sign whoever you want and have them play for you.

Not true.

Vasileiadis over Larentzakis
(38.9% from 3 last season in the Spanish league in 7.9 attempts per game)

Mitoglou over Vasilopoulos

Why on earth is Vasilopoulos a good fit for this team? Heck, I would even consider Sakota over him (6'11'', 41.2% from 3 last season in the Greek League, 40.5% for his career).

Bramos is a great catch & shoot guy as well. He was instrumental during Venezia's title run last season shooting 45.3% from 3 in 4.7 attempts per game. I get that he excluded himself from the national team during the qualifiers (and the WC?), but still, I bet we could have convinced him to change his mind. I mean, he could have played alongside the reigning NBA MVP. That's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Assuming he loves basketball, it doesn't get much better than that.

Anyway, it is what it is. I love this team no matter what. We lost one game. It's not the end of the world. Hopefully we'll bounce back and make it to the quarter finals.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,454

Post#667 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:03 am

jvalin wrote:Not true.

Why on earth is Vasilopoulos a good fit for this team? Heck, I would even consider Sakota over him (6'11'', 41.2% from 3 last season in the Greek League, 40.5% for his career).

Bramos is a great catch & shoot guy as well. He was instrumental during Venezia's title run last season shooting 45.3% from 3 in 4.7 attempts per game. I get that he excluded himself from the national team during the qualifiers (and the WC?), but still, I bet we could have convinced him to change his mind. I mean, he could have played alongside the reigning NBA MVP. That's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Assuming he loves basketball, it doesn't get much better than that.

Anyway, it is what it is. I love this team no matter what. We lost one game. It's not the end of the world. Hopefully we'll bounce back and make it to the quarter finals.

Greece has all kinds of good shooters. The federation just doesn't select them, because it's run solely based on what makes Panathinaikos look good, which is why Calathes always has a huge role on the team, despite that every major loss in the last 10 years was largely his fault.

The whole "Greece has no shooters" thing is a made up bunch of BS, by Greek journalists that are also Panathinaikos.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,700

Post#668 » by yannisk » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:18 am

Plossum wrote:So Brazil and Greece get to play again in the next round, yeah (assuming Greece beats NZ). That should be interesting.

No they don't play again the results from this round transfer to the next. Greece will play with USA and Turkey(or Czech Republic)
Plossum
General Manager

Post#669 » by Plossum » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:11 am

Bah that sucks. Brazil talking **** when they don’t have to play Giannis again is hilarious.
#LockUpChuck
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#670 » by TD75 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:11 am

The writing was on the wall from the pre-tournament games.

No idea what the point of those games was. There were a lot of horrible schemes and combinations of players on the floor that anyone who has watched a decent chunk of Bucks' games would know they would never work with Giannis.

That said, Giannis is the MVP. I know that Fiba basketball is a worse fit for his skill set than the NBA, but he has not adapted well.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
jvalin
Freshman

Post#671 » by jvalin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:15 am

Mirotic12 wrote:

Greece has all kinds of good shooters. The federation just doesn't select them, because it's run solely based on what makes Panathinaikos look good, which is why Calathes always has a huge role on the team, despite that every major loss in the last 10 years was largely his fault.

The whole "Greece has no shooters" thing is a made up bunch of BS, by Greek journalists that are also Panathinaikos.

In a vacuum, Calathes is our 2nd/3rd best player. It's just unfortunate that he's not a good fit next to Giannis.
Plossum
General Manager

Post#672 » by Plossum » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:28 am

There’s naturally less space give you can camp the paint and the three point line is shorter. This is where Giannis needs more to his game. He hasn’t quite mastered negotiating tight spaces on the floor.

Must admit I haven’t seen much of the Greek games. How are they using Giannis? Is he playing off ball or are they running their offence through him?
#LockUpChuck
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#673 » by Coach Carter » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:05 am

Mirotic12 wrote:

So dimitri gets his way.... Prob why he is not taking over the ΠΑΕ. Because if he does, he knows he has to fight marinakis, savidis and melissanidis for control.

EPO though takes the cake for me as they are in alliance with player agents. The big clubs can actually guarantee national team selection. Which is why you see players getting called up after they sign, regardless if they deserve it or not. Just hire a puppet manager and have your journalists write what you want.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#674 » by skones » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:45 am

Plossum wrote:Bah that sucks. Brazil talking **** when they don’t have to play Giannis again is hilarious.

If they end up having to, lord have mercy. With a convincing win, Greece is set up to be one of the better 2nd "ins."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,358

Post#675 » by emunney » Wed Sep 4, 2019 5:02 am

skones wrote:
Plossum wrote:Bah that sucks. Brazil talking **** when they don’t have to play Giannis again is hilarious.

If they end up having to, lord have mercy. With a convincing win, Greece is set up to be one of the better 2nd "ins."

Giannis playing Brazil again is the thing I want most
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Cythaps
Senior
And1: 414

Post#676 » by Cythaps » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:35 am

Beorn wrote:In order to advance to the knockout stage we have to:

A)Win vs N. Zealand to get our of the 1st round

B1)Win vs USA and Turkey/Czechs there

or

B2)Lose by the US and if Turkey/Czech Rep. wins vs Brazil, defeat Turkey/Czechia by a highest difference than they defeated Brazil.

It's actually half the difference plus one point. So if Turkey/Czechia beats Brazil by 10, Greece then has to beat them by (10/2+1=) 6 points, because there will be a three-way tie so you count the total point difference in both games between the tied teams. In the example above the tie-breaker will show Greece +5, Turkey/Czechia +4, Brazil -9. Oh, and USA has to win all their games in this scenario.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#677 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:06 am

Very disappointing and very predictable.
jvalin
Freshman

Post#678 » by jvalin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:22 am

Coach Carter wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

So dimitri gets his way.... Prob why he is not taking over the ΠΑΕ. Because if he does, he knows he has to fight marinakis, savidis and melissanidis for control.

EPO though takes the cake for me as they are in alliance with player agents. The big clubs can actually guarantee national team selection. Which is why you see players getting called up after they sign, regardless if they deserve it or not. Just hire a puppet manager and have your journalists write what you want.

I don't buy it. Given that there is no salary cap in Europe, it's only logical that the best players are playing for the big teams.

Mitoglou plays for Panathinaikos and he's an above average shooter at the PF position, yet he's out. Larentzakis and Vasilopoulos aren't playing for big teams, yet they are in. Mantzaris left Olympiakos this summer, yet he made the roster over Koniaris who had just signed for Olympiakos.

Coach Carter wrote:It seems we just picked the best players available and as a result there's no outside shooting. You're not winning without outside shooting. Teams play hard d, giannis is nullified; there's no space and his half court offense is his biggest weakness.

The way I see it, this is the problem right there, although I'd phrase it a bit differently: It seems to me we opted for a couple of guys in recognition of their hard work during the qualifiers (Larry-Vasilopoulos), whereas we should have picked those who are the best fit next to Giannis (for instance, Vasileiadis-Mitoglou).
jvalin
Freshman

Post#679 » by jvalin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:49 am

Plossum wrote:There’s naturally less space give you can camp the paint and the three point line is shorter. This is where Giannis needs more to his game. He hasn’t quite mastered negotiating tight spaces on the floor.

Must admit I haven’t seen much of the Greek games. How are they using Giannis? Is he playing off ball or are they running their offence through him?

Calathes and Sloukas run the offense. Giannis either demands the ball on the perimeter with a view to creating a shot via his elite slashing ability or sets a ball screen for Calathes/Sloukas and rolls to the basket. Hate to say it, but it seems to me that we don't know how to use him on offense. :(

Don't get me wrong, the Bucks were facing the exact same problem up until coach Bud revolutionized their offense. Giannis is a terrific player, but in order for him to maximize his potential, he needs to be surrounded by shooters.

The same goes for Ben Simmons at Philly. Remember the Sixers during the 2017-18 season? They were struggling during the first half of that season. It's only when they signed Ilyasova and Belinelli that they transformed into a big threat in the East. There was nothing fancy about those 2 players. I mean, they signed both of them via the buyout market. It was just that they put the right pieces around Simmons.

Greece should have built the whole team around Giannis. We don't have a bunch of knockdown shooters like Brogdon/Middleton/Brook Lopez/Mirotic/Ilyasova etc, but we have a few guys who would have been a great fit for this team. Unfortunately, most of them didn't even make the preliminary 18-man roster.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,851

Post#680 » by Fotis St » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:30 pm

As I predicted it when the 12 man roster announced.
We should have cut Bourousis and pick either Mitoglou or even Margaritis (who played at the WC Quals)

There is a pretty easy solution to revert some of our NT problems.

We should just play Giannis at the Center position for 32 minutes. (8min to Papagiannis+Bourousis)
32 minutes to Printezis at PF
32 minutes to Sloukas at SG

These are our Big 3 .

We should have cut Bourousis and pick either Mitoglou or even Margaritis (who played at the WC Quals)
Our NT that played the Qualifiers have a better big man roster than the Bourousis - Papagiannis duo.
Both are completely trash and unplayable. Calathes and Sloukas were feeding them on pick n roll and they both lost wide open layups instead of dunking the efing ball. Bourousis is the reason we lost the game. He is a slow as a turtle, he doesn't play D, opponents attacks him with high pick n rolls in every possession and he doesn't hit 3s any more. He looks toxic with his teammates too.
Papagiannis even on a gigantic body he plays like a p***sy, 0 basketball IQ.

Now if we want to make a run … this should be our rotation

PG Calathes (32) , Mantzaris (8)
SG Sloukas (32) , Thanasis (8)
SF Papapetrou (28) Papanikolaou (6) Thanasis (6)
PF Printezis (32) , Papanikolaou (8)
C Giannis (32) , Papagiannis/Bourousis (8)

This is the rotation we need to play better.
Since we don't have a Center who shoots 3s and be passable defender/rebounder like Brook Lopez, Giannis should eat most C minutes. Giannis is strong enough for everyone and he is fast enough to expose opponents Bigs.

Since we have a clown NT Org, and incompetent coaching staff for so many years … this is not happening.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks