ImageImage

The Greek National Team thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,114

Re: The Greek National Team thread 

Post#681 » by KidA24 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:53 pm

Plossum wrote:There’s naturally less space give you can camp the paint and the three point line is shorter. This is where Giannis needs more to his game. He hasn’t quite mastered negotiating tight spaces on the floor.

Must admit I haven’t seen much of the Greek games. How are they using Giannis? Is he playing off ball or are they running their offence through him?

The same way Larry Drew did.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
jvalin
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#682 » by jvalin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:16 pm

Fotis St wrote:PG Calathes (32) , Mantzaris (8)
SG Sloukas (32) , Thanasis (8)
SF Papapetrou (28) Papanikolaou (6) Thanasis (6)
PF Printezis (32) , Papanikolaou (8)
C Giannis (32) , Papagiannis/Bourousis (8)

Why only 14 minutes for Papanikolaou?

My 8-man rotation would be

Giannis (32)
Calathes (32)
Sloukas (32)
Papanikolaou (27)
Papapetrou (27)
Printezis (26)
Thanasis (16)
Bourousis/Papagiannis (8)

SUM: 200 minutes

PG: Calathes (32), Sloukas (8)
SG: Sloukas (24), Thanasis (16)
SF: Papanikolaou (27), Papapetrou (13)
PF: Papapetrou (14), Printezis (26)
C: Giannis (32), Bourousis/Papagiannis (8)

- Always play Calathes and Thanasis when Giannis is not on the floor, cause they are both bad fits next to Giannis.
- Always play Printezis when Giannis is not on the floor, cause he's at his best when utilized as a low post scorer. It's not an ideal situation for Printezis to be playing next to Giannis.

- I'd never play Mantzaris unless both Sloukas and Calathes are in foul trouble (excluding garbage time).
- I'd never play Larry unless Thanasis shoots one brick after the other from the perimeter (excluding garbage time).
- I'd never play Vasilopoulos (excluding garbage time).
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,851

Post#683 » by Fotis St » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:32 pm

Since we don't have a player like Brook Lopez …

Giannis should play Center and we need to pair him with a PF that can shoot the 3 ball for All Giannis minutes. That's Printezis and Papanikolaou in some occasions.

We should park Calathes and Papapetrou at corner 3s. Give Giannis the ball early at Point Position and set at wings at the 3pt line, Sloukas and Printezis.

Let Giannis run the game for us. Just Iso him at the Point position with opponents Center.

As simple as that.

I know it is working , anyone who follows and watches Bucks games several years knows it.

Giannis cannot be stopped by any Center. If Opponent Center sags off them he excels speed, euro steps him, easy 2.

Our coaching schemes are beyond stupid.

Greek NT is lead once again by a taverna owner level Basketball IQ.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,454

Post#684 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:29 pm

jvalin wrote:I don't buy it. Given that there is no salary cap in Europe, it's only logical that the best players are playing for the big teams.

Mitoglou plays for Panathinaikos and he's an above average shooter at the PF position, yet he's out. Larentzakis and Vasilopoulos aren't playing for big teams, yet they are in. Mantzaris left Olympiakos this summer, yet he made the roster over Koniaris who had just signed for Olympiakos.

It's very well known that the federation forced out Papaloukas and Spanoulis and Giannakis because of their affiliation with Olympiacos. It's also very well known they forced out Zisis because he was friends with Spanoulis and that they also tried to force out Bourousis for the same reasons. Once Bourousis fell out with the Olympiacos owners and played with Panathinaikos, all the bad press about him and the national team (which was endless) suddenly stopped and then the press started calling him "a leader".......

Hell, Panathinaikos fans often brag about how they got Spanoulis, Papalouaks and Giannakis off the team. Not only that, it's also very well known the federation has a beef with Galis, just because he ended things on a bad note with Panathinaikos.

The federation is headed by one of the most prominent and historical figures of Panathinaikos history, and it's not in any way a coincidence that anyone associated with Olympiacos gets torn to pieces by Greek media if they are ever in the Greek national team.

Also, EuroLeague just implemented their own version of the NBA's soft cap. They call it fair play rule, but it's the same principle as NBA of a soft cap with luxury taxes. That already existed for a few years, and for this upcoming season they made it much stricter - maybe more strict even than the NBA version.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,454

Post#685 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:34 pm

Printezis and Bourousis will be retiring after this tournament. Both have dropped numerous not so subtle hints in the press. So they won't be considerations going forward.

About Giannis as a center........it could work. But keep in mind he isn't strong enough (not by a long shot) to guard any decent big man around the rim. Any decent real center will back him down and score on him and control a lot of the rebounds. There are pluses to playing Giannis as a 5 and minuses.

It would work against some teams, and be stupid and a negative against some other teams. You couldn't have him as your main center and win any serious FIBA tournament.

You would have to have him along with a real center. He could play a similar role like Dikoudis did on defense, but Dikoudis couldn't be sued against the big centers that would go in the low post effectively. The same problem would be with Giannis.

So Giannis is only going to be a match up answer at center, like Dikoudis was. Some of these teams would back him down all game long if he was the center. Not only that, it would also make him pick up a ton of fouls.

As for players like Mantzaris and Thanasis - they have zero business being on Greece national team. Greece has all kinds of better players than them at their positions. Mantzaris is a EuroLeague 11th-12th man level player, and Thanasis is a EuroCup / FIBA Champions League level player. He's clearly only on the team because of Giannis. This is unprofessional and even wreaks of nepotism. He shouldn't be on the team.

Vasilopoulos shouldn't either, but he's just there because of injuries and he's old anyway. He probably retires anyway after this.

Larentzakis being on the team is no issue at all. People are hating on him for no reason. Every summer a scapegoat gets picked. He's obviously better as an all around player than Dorsey and Pappas are. So really no reason to complain about him. Actually, the coach should be using him way more.
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#686 » by TD75 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#687 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:14 pm

Fotis St wrote:Since we don't have a player like Brook Lopez …

Highlighting this, because many take for granted how important Brook was to last season.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#688 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:15 pm

How does this work? I assumed like this is fifa World Cup where the top 2 teams from each pool advance to the knock out rounds.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,902

Post#689 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:23 pm

emunney wrote:
skones wrote:
Plossum wrote:Bah that sucks. Brazil talking **** when they don’t have to play Giannis again is hilarious.

If they end up having to, lord have mercy. With a convincing win, Greece is set up to be one of the better 2nd "ins."

Giannis playing Brazil again is the thing I want most

Co-signing.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
jvalin
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#690 » by jvalin » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:15 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Printezis and Bourousis will be retiring after this tournament. Both have dropped numerous not so subtle hints in the press. So they won't be considerations going forward.

About Giannis as a center........it could work. But keep in mind he isn't strong enough (not by a long shot) to guard any decent big man around the rim. Any decent real center will back him down and score on him and control a lot of the rebounds. There are pluses to playing Giannis as a 5 and minuses.

It would work against some teams, and be stupid and a negative against some other teams. You couldn't have him as your main center and win any serious FIBA tournament.

You would have to have him along with a real center. He could play a similar role like Dikoudis did on defense, but Dikoudis couldn't be sued against the big centers that would go in the low post effectively. The same problem would be with Giannis.

So Giannis is only going to be a match up answer at center, like Dikoudis was. Some of these teams would back him down all game long if he was the center. Not only that, it would also make him pick up a ton of fouls.

As for players like Mantzaris and Thanasis - they have zero business being on Greece national team. Greece has all kinds of better players than them at their positions. Mantzaris is a EuroLeague 11th-12th man level player, and Thanasis is a EuroCup / FIBA Champions League level player. He's clearly only on the team because of Giannis. This is unprofessional and even wreaks of nepotism. He shouldn't be on the team.

Vasilopoulos shouldn't either, but he's just there because of injuries and he's old anyway. He probably retires anyway after this.

Larentzakis being on the team is no issue at all. People are hating on him for no reason. Every summer a scapegoat gets picked. He's obviously better as an all around player than Dorsey and Pappas are. So really no reason to complain about him. Actually, the coach should be using him way more.

Are you seriously comparing the defensive impact of Giannis with that of Dikoudis? :lol:

Thanasis isn't good enough to make the team??? I mean, come on now!

Larentzakis is obviously a better all around player than Dorsey???

Dorsey has played 104 games in the NBA. He's probably a Euroleague level player (he signed for Maccabi Tel Aviv for that matter). Larentzakis hasn't even played a single game at the Euroleague level throughout his career and he's almost 26 (3.5 years older than Dorsey). I would argue he's an above average player at the Eurocup level. For what it's worth, he hasn't even found a new team yet. I'd imagine a player as good as you portray him to be, would have at least signed with a team by now (about a month till the 2019-20 season starts).

(off the top of my head)

catch and shoot: Dorsey > Larry
shooting off the dribble: Dorsey > Larry
ball handling: Dorsey > Larry
court vision: Dorsey > Larry
athleticism: Dorsey > Larry
on-ball defense: Dorsey > Larry (Larry isn't explosive/quick enough to press the ball)
team defense: Dorsey < Larry
physical strength: Dorsey < Larry
size: Dorsey = Larry (they both stand at 6'5'' w/shoes on)
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#691 » by truly » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:28 pm

Fresh_Prince12 wrote:How does this work? I assumed like this is fifa World Cup where the top 2 teams from each pool advance to the knock out rounds.

There are actually 2 group stages before the knockout rounds.
Currently there are 32 teams grouped into 8 groups of 4 teams.The top 2 teams of each group advance to form 4 groups of 4 teams.
The twist here is that the results of the first group stage carry on the second one.
So USA for example will start the second group stage with a record of 3-0 while Greece will have a record of 2-1.Which is a massive advantage considering there are only 2 games played in that group stage.

After that the top 2 of each group,for a total of 8 teams,advance to the knockout stage.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#692 » by Coach Carter » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:29 am

I was watching the game the other day and i was confused as to why the coach was speaking english in the huddle. Then i watched an interview with nick ''the quick'' calathes and it all made sense. I'd imagine his dad ( i say dad cause his mum is irish) didn't speak greek to him nor take him to greek school.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#693 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Sep 5, 2019 5:58 am

Coach Carter wrote:I was watching the game the other day and i was confused as to why the coach was speaking english in the huddle. Then i watched an interview with nick ''the quick'' calathes and it all made sense. I'd imagine his dad ( i say dad cause his mum is irish) didn't speak greek to him nor take him to greek school.

I mean forget his dad and Greek school, the dude has been living and working in Greece for the last 10 years. And it's maybe 100 words you need to know to understand a coach, at most. Maybe he's not very quick between the ears.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#694 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Sep 5, 2019 7:12 am

Giannis needs to pull a Lebron with this Greek roster and coaching staff. Maybe he can get an NBA assistant of his choosing to take over, they’re already speaking English in the huddles. A certain baggy cargo shorts wearing red head comes to mind... :wink:

Have to imagine the Bucks are secretly hoping for a New Zealand win & Hellas exit today. Giannis is gonna smash the Kiwis’s front court but those Webster brothers are some tough little shotmakers. Fotu is fun too.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#695 » by Beorn » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:27 am

Mirotic12' posts aside, it's hard to understand the level of corruption and incompetence in our Federation. In this case it's more likely that they will reject Giannis' request, and then after he chooses not to come for the next tournament they will use all of their speaking mouths in greek media to spin their own tale and put the blame on his side, instead of facing their own inadequacy. Higher-ups in the Federation are closet racists too, the life-term president had infamously said "NBA it's dunking monkeys, it's not a sport" at some point and had spoken against the muslim minority in Thrace at another point.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,659

Post#696 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:34 am

Being on this Greek team is like a little reminder of life before Bud. Should make him happy to be a Buck. Is also good practice for next season having teams all out to stop him dunking.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#697 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:35 am

Beorn wrote:Mirotic12' posts aside, it's hard to understand the level of corruption and incompetence in our Federation. In this case it's more likely that they will reject Giannis' request, and then after he chooses not to come for the next tournament they will use all of their speaking mouths in greek media to spin their own tale and put the blame on his side, instead of facing their own inadequacy. Higher-ups in the Federation are closet racists too, the life-term president had infamously said "NBA it's dunking monkeys, it's not a sport" at some point and had spoken against the muslim minority in Thrace at another point.

Jesus that's grim. Giannis needs to get some **** wits sacked.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#698 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:41 am

For those not watching, Giannis is used to hold together lineups with PG/Giannis/non shooting forward/ PF/ Papagiannis (total lane clogger)
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#699 » by Beorn » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:53 am

Apart from that, we are using him mostly alongside Calathes at PG who is also a streaky -at best- shooter instead of Sloukas, who is our only off-the-dribble shooting threat. Ideally he should be our C, with Printezis(PF), 1 or both of our PGs and 1 of our other SFs, who are pretty much invisible in the tournament so far. Let Bourousis, Larentzakis and the other SF come off the bench, and extinguish Papagiannis from the rotation.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#700 » by AussieBuck » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:06 am

Beorn wrote:Apart from that, we are using him mostly alongside Calathes at PG who is also a streaky -at best- shooter instead of Sloukas, who is our only off-the-dribble shooting threat. Ideally he should be our C, with Printezis(PF), 1 or both of our PGs and 1 of our other SFs, who are pretty much invisible in the tournament so far. Let Bourousis, Larentzakis and the other SF come off the bench, and extinguish Papagiannis from the rotation.

I knew Bourousis was temperamental but the way floppy Veryjoe mentally dominated him was discouraging. It's a real problem when there's only 2 guys worth playing across the three perimeter spots. Trade him to Australia imo.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks