Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,772

Re: The Greek National Team thread 

Post#741 » by theFireBlanket » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:36 am

*missed the point differential

Back to Milwaukee.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#742 » by Coach Carter » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:44 am

Seems those refs aren't use to a player like giannis but the 5th was so obvious; if you can't see that, you shouldn't be working. I think we were up 10 at the time, so it swung the momentum.

If we make our FT's though we win. I don't know what it is but it seems we can't shoot all together. Must be a development thing. On the contrary, the slavic sides shoot it well.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#743 » by truly » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:50 am

Coach Carter wrote:Seems those refs aren't use to a player like giannis but the 5th was so obvious; if you can't see that, you shouldn't be working. I think we were up 10 at the time, so it swung the momentum.

If we make our FT's though we win. I don't know what it is but it seems we can't shoot all together. Must be a development thing. On the contrary, the slavic sides shoot it well.

We always sucked at FT shooting but Czechs were shooting with 65% from the line in the tournament and they went 21/22 today. :(
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#744 » by LedZepp007 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:56 am

I’m really glad they are done. Sad for G and T, but Greece’s program is truly a **** and they are incredibly rude to Giannis on a regular basis.

Time to get back to work with a real coach and a team that values him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
truly
Starter

Post#745 » by truly » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:59 am

LedZepp007 wrote:I’m really glad they are done. Sad for G and T, but Greece’s program is truly a **** and they are incredibly rude to Giannis on a regular basis.

Yeah thats just bs :-?
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,682

Post#746 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:19 am

truly wrote:
LedZepp007 wrote:I’m really glad they are done. Sad for G and T, but Greece’s program is truly a **** and they are incredibly rude to Giannis on a regular basis.

when? how?
truly
Starter

Post#747 » by truly » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:52 am

I just remembered that the best referees actually dont participate in the tournament due to the dispute between FIBA and euroleague.No wonder they suck.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:

LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#748 » by LedZepp007 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 12:09 pm

truly wrote:

First thing that comes to mind is accusing him of conspiring with the Bucks to sit out a couple of years back. As I recall, some of the higher ups had some rather nasty things to say about Giannis

The Bulls are the absolute worst.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#749 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:17 pm

Shame Giannis’s prime didn’t link up with the great trio of Greek guards and the guy who coached them.

Hopefully the Bucks have him chilling for most of preseason.
truly
Starter

Post#750 » by truly » Mon Sep 9, 2019 2:49 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Shame Giannis’s prime didn’t link up with the great trio of Greek guards and the guy who coached them.

Yep.But it's hard for such a small country to continuously produce players of that caliber even less 3 of them together.

As for Giannis,i think he is the same player we saw against the Raptors.He really really needs to improve his FT% and he has trouble establishing position in the post even against smaller players(ex Smart against USA) which limits him even more.

What do you think of Thanasis?
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#751 » by emunney » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:29 pm

I have to give respect to Skourtopolous for his humility in the presser.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
jvalin
Freshman
And1: 41

Post#752 » by jvalin » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:32 pm

No need for excuses. We failed to meet expectations. Hate to say it, but at the end of the day we weren't good enough. Hopefully, we'll learn from our mistakes with a view to make a deep run in the Olympics next summer. I mean, it took 5 years for the Bucks to learn how to use Giannis on offense. I guess you can't win unless you learn how to lose first.

1. Hire an established coach (like the Bucks did last year with coach Bud)
2. Instead of selecting the best players available (or those who curried the team during the WC qualifiers), build the team around Giannis --> surround Giannis with 3pt shooters (again, like the Bucks did last season with BroLo, Hill, Mirotic, Ilyasova, Connaughton, etc.)

(10-man rotation)

PG: Sloukas - Calathes (or vice versa)
SG: Dorsey - Bramos
SF: Papanikolaou - Thanasis
PF: Papapetrou - Mitoglou
C: Giannis - Koufos

green: about 45% from 3 last season
blue: above average 3pt shooter
orange: below average 3pt shooter
red: non-shooter (but it's OK, assuming Koufos will be a back-up to Giannis)

I believe this team would be good enough to compete for a medal in the 2020 Olympics.

Best of luck to the Czechs! Not the most talented team in the world, but they fully disserved to qualify to the quarter finals.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,456

Post#753 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:05 pm

truly wrote:I just remembered that the best referees actually dont participate in the tournament due to the dispute between FIBA and euroleague.No wonder they suck.

The Greek federation president is one of the main people responsible for the FIBA - EuroLeague war, and he is also one of the main people behind the EuroLeague refs being banned from FIBA tournaments................the cancer he and his Panathinaikos agenda are on the national team is absurd. Been wrecking things for 10 years now.

Chuck Diesel wrote:Shame Giannis’s prime didn’t link up with the great trio of Greek guards and the guy who coached them.

Greece's guards from mid to late 2000s:

Vassilis Spanoulis
Dimitris Diamantidis
Theo Papaloukas
Nikos Zisis

are >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

than these current Greek guards of:

Nick Calathes
Kostas Sloukas
Vangelis Mantzaris
Nikos Pappas, Giannoulis Larentzakis, Tyler Dorsey

Zisis was considered the 4th best guard Greece had then, and he was better than the so-called "best guards" Greece has now in Calathes and Sloukas.

Again, the Greek federation is to blame. Because of their pro Panathinaikos agenda, they forced Spanoulis and Zisis to retire like 5 years early. This same Greek national team would have been a very serious gold medal contender if they just still had Spanoulis and Zisis.

Greece federation also forced out the coach from then, Panagiotis Giannakis - also simply because he was connected to Olympiacos.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,456

Post#754 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Sep 9, 2019 10:09 pm

jvalin wrote:No need for excuses. We failed to meet expectations. Hate to say it, but at the end of the day we weren't good enough. Hopefully, we'll learn from our mistakes with a view to make a deep run in the Olympics next summer. I mean, it took 5 years for the Bucks to learn how to use Giannis on offense. I guess you can't win unless you learn how to lose first.

1. Hire an established coach (like the Bucks did last year with coach Bud)
2. Instead of selecting the best players available (or those who curried the team during the WC qualifiers), build the team around Giannis --> surround Giannis with 3pt shooters (again, like the Bucks did last season with BroLo, Hill, Mirotic, Ilyasova, Connaughton, etc.)

(10-man rotation)

PG: Sloukas - Calathes (or vice versa)
SG: Dorsey - Bramos
SF: Papanikolaou - Thanasis
PF: Papapetrou - Mitoglou
C: Giannis - Koufos

green: about 45% from 3 last season
blue: above average 3pt shooter
orange: below average 3pt shooter
red: non-shooter (but it's OK, assuming Koufos will be a back-up to Giannis)

I believe this team would be good enough to compete for a medal in the 2020 Olympics.

Best of luck to the Czechs! Not the most talented team in the world, but they fully disserved to qualify to the quarter finals.

I hate to break it to you, but you are really overrating players like Bramos, Dorsey and Koufos, especially Bramos. Bramos is athletic and he can shoot - that's all he can do. Other than a dunk or a 3 pointer, he's almost incapable of doing anything else on a basketball court.

Dorsey wasn't even good enough to make the team the last time he was at the training camp, and he looked awful in all the prep games - he's never done jack squat as a pro, other than G-League or end of season NBA games between bad teams that are tanking (losing on purpose).

Koufos has never played well any of the times he was with Greece. I don't see those 3 making some huge difference at all. Bramos is a scrub almost. He's a good shooter, but can't even dribble the ball for like 2 feet..............

As for Mitoglou - why are you so hyped on him? He's the 12th to 13th man of Panathinaikos - if that's the best Greek national team can do, that's downright scary. He's a complete nobody and bum in EuroLeague level.

About the language thing:

Greece's head coach spoke in Greek language for the entire game against New Zealand. He was speaking Greek right to Calathes numerous times. So either Calathes is a clairvoyant, or he at least understands Greek.

I mean, he's freaking lived in Greece for 10 years now - if he couldn't understand the language after 10 years, that would be really strange.
4xBuck
Sixth Man
And1: 569

Post#755 » by 4xBuck » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 am

truly wrote:[As for Giannis,i think he is the same player we saw against the Raptors.He really really needs to improve his FT% and he has trouble establishing position in the post even against smaller players(ex Smart against USA) which limits him even more.

Spot on, yah...

Limited is the best description of him I've ever seen. Greece had no chance with him on the floor.

How many 2nd rounders do think Horst can con a team out of for him?
truly
Starter

Post#756 » by truly » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:27 pm

4xBuck wrote:
truly wrote:[As for Giannis,i think he is the same player we saw against the Raptors.He really really needs to improve his FT% and he has trouble establishing position in the post even against smaller players(ex Smart against USA) which limits him even more.

Spot on, yah...

Limited is the best description of him I've ever seen. Greece had no chance with him on the floor.

How many 2nd rounders do think Horst can con a team out of for him?

Not what i said but suit yourself :dontknow:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:

GoBrewersGo
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#757 » by GoBrewersGo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:57 pm

Pitino to coach Giannis (if Giannis decides to play next summer)
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-J727P using RealGM mobile app
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,638

Post#758 » by greekbuck34 » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:02 pm

No matter who we get if you don't build a team around Giannis we will not do anything in fiba.
We need Giannis and shooters and I don't think we have enough in the greek pool. There will be always someone bad enough to leave wide open in order to keep 2-3 players in the paint at all times. Fiba rules make it even worse.

Pitino since he is american , he will try anything to please his superstar and he will probably attempt to do it and to hell with the other players but most of our best talent which is not that great nowadays does not fit with Giannis and in the end we will have a poor man's Jason Kidd's bucks at best imo.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
GoBrewersGo
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#759 » by GoBrewersGo » Fri Nov 8, 2019 2:04 pm

Pitino to take Giannis out to dinner in March.
https://youtu.be/9e1rgNPt_Lc

Sent from my SM-J727P using RealGM mobile app
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,914

Post#760 » by soxperry » Fri Nov 8, 2019 3:02 pm

I really hope he takes the summer off. He has played great but if im being honest he looks slower than usual.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks