Re: Projected Wins for 17-18 Season 

Post#61 » by Beorn » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm at 45.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,404

Post#62 » by GoldenAntlers » Thu Aug 3, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm feeling optimistic today. I think Giannis takes another step (even a small step will be huge) and closes out more games for us. Middleton comes back in shape and ready to play. Brogdan has a year experience and a playoff series under his belt. Guys like Snell, Delly, Telly now have a year in the apparently most difficult system to learn. Jabari comes back healthy and in shape. Our rookies don't completely suck. Playoff Thon becomes regular season Thon. Team shows promise of Spurs-level chemistry.

"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#63 » by smauss » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:04 pm

Wow, all this optimism! I thought I ventured onto the wrong board for a moment...... ;)
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,009

Post#64 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:11 pm

were going to start out decent. then teams with coaches and videotape will figure out how to beat us and we'll look rough for awhile. kidd will take 25 games to finally adjust with something weve bitched here about for months. and then we'll finish the season on fire again building up wins against half the league tanking. it will cost us 5-7 wins. with a smarter, less stubborn egotistical coach we should win 50-55.... but with kidd it will be more like 45-50.
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#65 » by Prince12 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:17 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:We're coming off a playoff series where we held the opposing team to 83, 77, 87, and 92 point totals.....and we lost two of those 4. The biggest question for me is if this core, minus Jabari, is ever going to be good enough offensively to be contenders. Way more of a concern for me than the defense.

Yeah, if that level of defense is somewhat sustainable (so let's just say we are past the point of giving up 60+ point first halves), this team should be in great shape this year. But definitely going to miss Jabari's scoring prowess.

Would be very nice if Middleton somewhat reinvents himself this year a bit and Snell can maintain efficiency at a higher volume. All those things would help a ton, actually wouldn't even mind Beasley back as a cheap, "instant offense" guy for games when he is on.

This is interesting. Those point totals are championship level defense and complete domination to be honest in the modern game.
Last season Dallas was the only team to average under 100ppg. The season before 8 teams didn't, the year before that 15.

The game has changed and whilst on the surface I agree we on paper should have a top ten defense and I believe it's critical it's still our offense to me that needs to be more consistent. It's almost at the point where no matter how good your defense plays you need to score 110 to win and our consistent dry spells and 15 point quarters just aren't going to cut it.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,835

Post#66 » by fansinceforever » Thu Aug 3, 2017 8:27 pm

Alright... There's expectations now. Let's see how these boys handle it..
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#67 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:06 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:were going to start out decent. then teams with coaches and videotape will figure out how to beat us and we'll look rough for awhile. kidd will take 25 games to finally adjust with something weve bitched here about for months. and then we'll finish the season on fire again building up wins against half the league tanking. it will cost us 5-7 wins. with a smarter, less stubborn egotistical coach we should win 50-55.... but with kidd it will be more like 45-50.

I thought you were making a joke about this last season at first;

we are going to start out decent, like 20-18, then teams with coaches and videotape will figure out how to beat us and we'll look like **** for a while. Kidd will lose the team for like 20 games, finally our owner will have a post game meeting with him telling him he is a loss away from being fired by the other owners, his ass will get saved by the return of Middleton. We'll finish the season on fire building up wins against half the league tanking. It costed us 5-7 wins. With a smarter, less stubborn, egotistical coach we should have won 50-55...but with Kidd we won 42
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#68 » by SKG » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:10 pm

52-30
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,009

Post#69 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:19 pm

M-C-G wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:were going to start out decent. then teams with coaches and videotape will figure out how to beat us and we'll look rough for awhile. kidd will take 25 games to finally adjust with something weve bitched here about for months. and then we'll finish the season on fire again building up wins against half the league tanking. it will cost us 5-7 wins. with a smarter, less stubborn egotistical coach we should win 50-55.... but with kidd it will be more like 45-50.

I thought you were making a joke about this last season at first;

we are going to start out decent, like 20-18, then teams with coaches and videotape will figure out how to beat us and we'll look like **** for a while. Kidd will lose the team for like 20 games, finally our owner will have a post game meeting with him telling him he is a loss away from being fired by the other owners, his ass will get saved by the return of Middleton. We'll finish the season on fire building up wins against half the league tanking. It costed us 5-7 wins. With a smarter, less stubborn, egotistical coach we should have won 50-55...but with Kidd we won 42

I was making a joke but I also wasn't. I think the way our season went last year, just like our playoff series went.... will be repeated again and again until kidd is removed.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#70 » by AussieBuck » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:27 pm

Too early, will wait and see if the Bucks do any Bucks things before the season rolls around.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#71 » by blazza18 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:53 pm

We're the Bucks. With Jason Kidd as head coach. We're going 40-42.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Dellyhas2gfs
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#72 » by Dellyhas2gfs » Thu Aug 3, 2017 9:59 pm

The same record as last year (42-43 wins) but done in a more consistent clip and better play in the playoffs would be an improvement
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#73 » by Nowak008 » Thu Aug 3, 2017 10:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:The 46.9 wins projected by ESPN does sound about right. However it would be an indictment of the front office if they only finished with that many wins given the team arguably has one of the top 2 players in the game on the roster.

Agreed.

This offseason couldn't have gone for the Bucks as it relates to the East. Hawks, Indy, Bulls all lost their best player and the Raps lost key rotation players in Patterson/Tucker/Joseph. The sea is truly parting for us. If we can't win 48+ games in this wretched conference with Giannis it will be huge indictment on the front office.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#74 » by DrWood » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:46 am

I'd predict 49 wins, but if you want to maximize your likelihood of being close, you regress to the mean a little bit.

most of that improvement is due to having Midds from the start and not having Jabari. plus a few games improvement to improvement of the youngins.
Xanadu
Sixth Man
And1: 433

Post#75 » by Xanadu » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:52 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:The 46.9 wins projected by ESPN does sound about right. However it would be an indictment of the front office if they only finished with that many wins given the team arguably has one of the top 2 players in the game on the roster.

It would mean one or more of these things:

-Middleton is not as impactful as thought

-Thon is not a starting caliber center capable of 25mpg of good defensive play each night

-Kidd is not a good coach

-The contract money given to Delly, Telly, Monroe, Henson, Snell is truly dead money.

The article says we're the third youngest team in the league weighted by projected minutes. I would find it very difficult to feel anything other than very optimistic for the future if we do make the leap to 47 wins this season.

Wonder what they used for Thon's age for that calculation? Also being young doesn't mean a lot by itself especially in the NBA. How much of that youth is top end talent matters much more than your teams average age.
Bucks fandom bringing me happiness still seems like a dream.
Xanadu
Sixth Man
And1: 433

Post#76 » by Xanadu » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:53 am

ElPeregrino wrote:

It would mean one or more of these things:

-Middleton is not as impactful as thought

-Thon is not a starting caliber center capable of 25mpg of good defensive play each night

-Kidd is not a good coach

-The contract money given to Delly, Telly, Monroe, Henson, Snell is truly dead money.

The article says we're the third youngest team in the league weighted by projected minutes. I would find it very difficult to feel anything other than very optimistic for the future if we do make the leap to 47 wins this season.

Double post sorry
Bucks fandom bringing me happiness still seems like a dream.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#77 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:13 pm

Nowak008 wrote:

Agreed.

This offseason couldn't have gone for the Bucks as it relates to the East. Hawks, Indy, Bulls all lost their best player and the Raps lost key rotation players in Patterson/Tucker/Joseph. The sea is truly parting for us. If we can't win 48+ games in this wretched conference with Giannis it will be huge indictment on the front office.

Or Giannis :reporter:
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,057

Post#78 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:20 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:

Nah. This guy is a stud who plays both ends of the court. He's better than Anthony Davis who I think most would have said was much better than Giannis as recently as 6-12 months ago.

We've got our Garnett. Up to Glenn Taylor to put the guys around him.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,164

Post#79 » by DingleJerry » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:23 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

Nah. This guy is a stud who plays both ends of the court. He's better than Anthony Davis who I think most would have said was much better than Giannis as recently as 6-12 months ago.

I agree overall with PP. I wouldn't call it an 'indictment' on Giannis, but if we win less than 47 it's likely he still hasn't learned how to shoot. If he makes a drastic leap with his shooting, it will probably be pretty tough to hold him below 47 wins in this crap conference. Still not an 'indictment' on him as he's still a top 10 player and clearly a winning player. The stuff around him is the problem, just have to build a team knowing his shooting limitations and plan accordingly.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#80 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 3:33 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

I agree overall with PP. I wouldn't call it an 'indictment' on Giannis, but if we win less than 47 it's likely he still hasn't learned how to shoot. If he makes a drastic leap with his shooting, it will probably be pretty tough to hold him below 47 wins. Still not an 'indictment' on him as he's still a top 10 player and clearly a winning player. The stuff around him is the problem, just have to build a team knowing his shooting limitations and plan accordingly.

All of this is true. Giannis is a legitimate #1 on a championship team.

With that said, there's a big difference between being that and being the "next LeBron", a phrase we all have heard and maybe even used.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks