bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Re: 2017/2018 Schedule - Mecca Game 10/26 Vs. Celtics 

Post#141 » by bucksbrewers3 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:54 am

Perishable517 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
Perishable517 wrote:
With the lights on and at night it's a gorgeous building. Classic design.

I mean inside. I don't give a **** what a building looks like outside when I'm in it.

It's loud. LOUD.

Nostalgia trip: Went to so many shows there when I was young. Three in one week, even (ACDC, Genesis, Foreigner). Was supposed to get tix for the Sabbath/BOC show (which would have been my first show) but when my buddies got back from vacation, we didn't want to sit in the nose bleeds. At least I missed out on the riot.

Anyways, yah, it's a dump inside (haven't been there since a UWGB/UWM game in the 90s). But, national TV, the Celtics, if they use the Robert Indiana floor (will they?) it will be cool.

I did like the lighting in there. I love the lighting at MSG. I'm hoping for that at the new arena.

Didn't ZAZA purchase the original floor and put it in a gym he built for the community in his home country
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#142 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 4:12 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
trwi7 wrote:It really wasn't that loud to me. I just don't get where that comes from. :dontknow:

It doesn't get loud when people watch the Admirals.

Counter point: The old posters here drastically overestimate how great it is. If the Bucks of the last 30 years played in that building, nobody would give a **** about it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#143 » by Perishable517 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:04 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:
Perishable517 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
I mean inside. I don't give a **** what a building looks like outside when I'm in it.

It's loud. LOUD.

Nostalgia trip: Went to so many shows there when I was young. Three in one week, even (ACDC, Genesis, Foreigner). Was supposed to get tix for the Sabbath/BOC show (which would have been my first show) but when my buddies got back from vacation, we didn't want to sit in the nose bleeds. At least I missed out on the riot.

Anyways, yah, it's a dump inside (haven't been there since a UWGB/UWM game in the 90s). But, national TV, the Celtics, if they use the Robert Indiana floor (will they?) it will be cool.

I did like the lighting in there. I love the lighting at MSG. I'm hoping for that at the new arena.

Didn't ZAZA purchase the original floor and put it in a gym he built for the community in his home country

I believe he got the old BC floor. I forget who has the Robert Indiana floor.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,934

Post#144 » by Perishable517 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:06 pm

trwi7 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
trwi7 wrote:It really wasn't that loud to me. I just don't get where that comes from. :dontknow:

Counter point: The old posters here drastically overestimate how great it is. If the Bucks of the last 30 years played in that building, nobody would give a **** about it.

It was loud because it is small and the Bucks were GOOD and it was full. You don't think it was loud in the early-mid 80's? I assume you were there.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#145 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:25 pm

trwi7 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

You are like the guy who hated high school and craps all over the ten year reunion. Some people liked high school and want to see old people. Neither you or them are wrong but you just are raining on people's parade at this point. I will have a blast at the game and I guarantee it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,577

Post#146 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Sep 1, 2017 4:11 pm

trwi7 wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:

I have no idea how old you are but did you go to a Bucks game at the MECCA?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#147 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 1, 2017 4:22 pm

I don't know how anyone can argue that the Mecca isn't a better place to watch basketball than the BC. It's not even close. It has nothing to do with "nostalgia". It's simply a MUCH better place to watch a game. Forget the too narrow concourse, the small concession stands, lack of bathrooms. To WATCH an actual game it kicks the BC's ass. To argue otherwise is being a contrarian just to be a contrarian.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#148 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 6:43 pm

Perishable517 wrote:Anyways, yah, it's a dump inside

I don't get it. I say it's a dump, people who actually like the place agree it's a dump and somehow I'm still giving the biggest hot take of all time.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#149 » by thomchatt3rton » Fri Sep 1, 2017 7:12 pm

Perishable517 wrote:
bucksbrewers3 wrote:
Perishable517 wrote:
It's loud. LOUD.

I believe he got the old BC floor. I forget who has the Robert Indiana floor.

Yep. Somebody just randomly found the R Indiana floor stored somewhere and totally forgotten about. Luckily the person recognized it and it was saved. Dont recall all the details.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,577

Post#150 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Sep 1, 2017 9:23 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Perishable517 wrote:Anyways, yah, it's a dump inside

I don't get it. I say it's a dump, people who actually like the place agree it's a dump and somehow I'm still giving the biggest hot take of all time.

"There's not a single redeeming quality to that building"

That's the hottest of takes.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#151 » by trwi7 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 9:37 pm

Dark, dingy, cramped but it looks nice lit up from the outside!

CountMe3Outs
Sophomore
And1: 219

Post#152 » by CountMe3Outs » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:02 am

Post#147 » by MickeyDavis » Yesterday 4:22 pm
I don't know how anyone can argue that the Mecca isn't a better place to watch basketball than the BC. It's not even close. It has nothing to do with "nostalgia". It's simply a MUCH better place to watch a game. Forget the too narrow concourse, the small concession stands, lack of bathrooms. To WATCH an actual game it kicks the BC's ass. To argue otherwise is being a contrarian just to be a contrarian.

At MECCA, you navigated cramped concourses, endured spartan concessions & restroom facilities, but at least found refuge in a fairly intimate basketball setting, where you felt some relatively direct connection to the game.

At the BC, you negotiate spacious tiled concourses, glass-walled atriums, improved concession offerings and facilites, only to be corraled into economy-class, where your snug seat is often fixed in the wrong direction. Your main connection to the game is a two-dimensional image, projected above tiny figures moving on a distant, brightly-lit court, the typical hushed ambiance occasionally broken by a garbled familiar voice over the PA.

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#153 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:55 am

Hardcore fans who only care about atmosphere and wins usually don't mind smaller or older buildings, the seats are usually closer to the court and it's easier to get it loud and intimidating.

The League prefers massive buildings because they offer tremendous retail opportunities and it's much easier to extract a few hundred bucks per person per visit with all the eating and shopping.

Family guys and casual fans prefer new because it's a more comfortable experience and doesn't smell like sweaty socks.

I'm in the first category, if I was in the country I'd definitely make my way to the Mecca.
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#154 » by Prickle » Sat Sep 2, 2017 9:00 am

So, the Bucks are doing something pretty unique and cool - playing in the small, outdated building where they had their glory days - and there are actually people on here who feel the need to hate on it? Whatever...

I never saw a Bucks game in the Mecca. However, I did see Sesame Street Live there as a 4-year-old, and I must say, the atmosphere in the building was electric!
GoBrewersGo
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#155 » by GoBrewersGo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Has anyone heard which floor the Bucks will use for the Return to the MECCA game? It seems like it would've been announced by now with the game being a week away. I noticed on the MECCA tickets that the 3 point and free throw lines are black, whereas the original MECCA floor had white lines. I'm wondering if the picture on the ticket is the replica floor they will be using. Anyways, if anyone knows any details, that would be great.
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#156 » by MadBlueEdwards » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:16 pm

GoBrewersGo wrote:Has anyone heard which floor the Bucks will use for the Return to the MECCA game? It seems like it would've been announced by now with the game being a week away. I noticed on the MECCA tickets that the 3 point and free throw lines are black, whereas the original MECCA floor had white lines. I'm wondering if the picture on the ticket is the replica floor they will be using. Anyways, if anyone knows any details, that would be great.

[tweet]
Read on Twitter
[/tweet}
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,723

Post#157 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Though I never saw a game at the Mecca, I have seen 100 at the Bradley Center and testify it is an awful place to watch a basketball game. The upper deck has such bad sight lines you have to watch the scoreboard, the lower bowl is cramped and my knees hit the seat in front of me, the food is crap and I will say it is improved from when Kohl was owner but nevertheless there is nothing to eat that wasn’t heated under a lamp for an hour, and half the seats are all facing weird hockey angles. There also are poor restaurant options within walking distance. The entry is ok I guess, the upper hallways are block and paint and feel like a mid major college stadium. Can’t wait for a new stadium.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks