Re: Name your all-time roster 

Post#41 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Lew
Giannis
Marques
Sid
Oscar
(if this isn't your top 5, you're nuts - these are the only legit 1st-team all-NBA threats the Bucks have ever had)

2001 Ray would like a word.

Cummings, Redd, Bogut, and Cassell all made one of the all-NBA teams in at least one of their best years too. Being a 1st-team all-NBA caliber player is a whole notch above that. Those guys were/are total studs. Ray was never in that class.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,021

Post#42 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:09 pm

2001 Ray was arguably the best offensive perimeter player in the league, and the closest thing to a superstar the franchise had since '83 Moncrief. Agree to disagree on that one.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#43 » by bucksbrewers3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Big O
Sid
Giannis
Baker
Jabar

Cassell
Allen
Johnson
Dandrige
Bogut
Pressey
Redd
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#44 » by bucksbrewers3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Idk how many of you guys play the game but I do and I think this is a fantastic idea. Excited about this years game with the changes and more attribute areas.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#45 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Fresh_Prince12 wrote:Nba 2k will be adding an all time roster to this year's version. Got me thinking who would put on a 13 man roster.

PG The big O
SG Ray
SF Giannis
PF Vin
C Lew

Bench
Marques Johnson
Sid
Cassell
Big dog
Dandridge
Paul pressy
Terry Cummings
Bogut, mainly for 09-10 season

It has been confirmed to have a 15 man roster

So add redd and WTH Parker.
SKG
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#46 » by SKG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:20 am

Ron Swanson wrote:2001 Ray was arguably the best offensive perimeter player in the league, and the closest thing to a superstar the franchise had since '83 Moncrief. Agree to disagree on that one.

Jesus was a super star
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,899

Post#47 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:04 am

SKG wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:2001 Ray was arguably the best offensive perimeter player in the league, and the closest thing to a superstar the franchise had since '83 Moncrief. Agree to disagree on that one.

Jesus was a super star

Wow man. Some of y'all really don't give a damn about defense, do you? I always know it's coming, but it still always surprises me. Fans don't have so much trouble comprehending the importance of defense in football or of pitching in baseball. What is it about basketball that makes it so difficult? Defense is literally, by definition, your ability to influence the other team's offense. Offense can't possibly be more important than defense, because then the other team's offense is more important than their defense, but their defense is your offense and vice versa.

It's literally not even a one-step logical deduction, but a tautology. And Ray was not a superstar. Good lord.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,269

Post#48 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:32 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
SKG wrote:

Jesus was a super star

Wow man. Some of y'all really don't give a damn about defense, do you? I always know it's coming, but it still always surprises me. Fans don't have so much trouble comprehending the importance of defense in football or of pitching in baseball. What is it about basketball that makes it so difficult? Defense is literally, by definition, your ability to influence the other team's offense. Offense can't possibly be more important than defense, because then the other team's offense is more important than their defense, but their defense is your offense and vice versa.

It's literally not even a one-step logical deduction, but a tautology. And Ray was not a superstar. Good lord.

Nobody will talk about the importance of defense more than me but even with Ray's defense, he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's the only Hall of Famer in Bucks history to spend more seasons with Milwaukee than any other team.
Read on Twitter
Prickle
Senior
And1: 221

Post#49 » by Prickle » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:38 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:Here are the premises I used:
- Bucks tenure is more important than what the player did before or after.
- Peak value has a slight edge over longevity when it's close.
- Picking the top scorers every decade would be so lame.
- The Bucks were really good in the 80's.
- You can only judge a player relative to the era he played in.
- Other than considering position, I tried to choose the most valuable players regardless of "fit".
- That said, being a team player helps you fit in anywhere. Only the most talented selfish players earned a spot.
- I favored good all-around players over the many one-dimensional scorers who defined the mediocre years.

Lew
Giannis
Marques
Sid
Oscar
(if this isn't your top 5, you're nuts - these are the only legit 1st-team all-NBA threats the Bucks have ever had)

Bogut
Cummings
Dandridge
Ray
Sam
(these 5 are almost as easy as the first 5)

Sikma/Lanier (damn close)
Baker
Pressey
Winters/Redd (did Winters play defense?)
Pierce (was sometimes listed as a pg)

Lanier/Sikma
Big Dog
Bridgeman
Redd/Winters
Lucius

Ervin
Ersan
Khris (should move to 3rd-team in a few years)
McGlocklin
Humphries

Sanders
Lister
Ellis
Salmons
Flynn

Moses
LRMAM
Jabari
Alvin Robertson
Mo

Monroe
Thomas
Kukoc
Murdock
Terrell Brandon

Brickowski
Tyrone Hill
Delfino
Charlie Bell
Buckner

I was gonna keep going until I found a spot for Knight and the Swag Twins, but I can't.

I'm just glad someone finally mentioned Eric Murdock. Even if he only made your 8th "All-Bucks" team, it serves as some validation for me purchasing his jersey in 1995. :D Now, if only someone could justify my 1993 Todd Day jersey purchase...
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#50 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:21 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:Nobody will talk about the importance of defense more than me but even with Ray's defense, he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's the only Hall of Famer in Bucks history to spend more seasons with Milwaukee than any other team.

Ray was a perennial back-up all-star and a consistent scorer for many years in the league. Guys like that will always make the hall of fame, as they probably should. But he had a lot of really good years after the Bucks, and a lot of pretty unimpressive years with them. I clearly said I care more about a player's peak and his time with the Bucks, and I refuse to devalue defense the way these awards so often do. It's ridiculous how backwards the basketball mainstream still is with regard to that.

Sid was a 2-time DPOY and a very effective offensive player in his era as well. He was basically the Gary Payton of the 80's. You're talking about a guy who was just one tier below the perennial MVP candidates. Ray was never that, and with the Bucks he played his worst defense while being a bit of a ball-hog and forcing shots and bickering over touches. He couldn't dribble and didn't have very much play-making ability, but he would still spend possessions dribbling around trying to make something happen and taking the offense completely out of its rhythm. He got better at playing team ball after he left.

The Bucks were well under .500 in his time there. People have Ray, Sam, and Big Dog all over their all-Bucks squads, but even when those 3 were together, the Bucks were roughly .500 in an extremely weak conference. They advanced in the playoffs once, in possibly the East's worst year. They were the poster boys for a team that's much better on paper than on the court because it's built around overrated scorers who don't play any defense and don't have much play-making ability to make others on the team better.

Sid and Marques were total studs. There's a pretty significant chasm between their impact and Ray's. They didn't have the hall-of-fame longevity Ray did, but they both spent more time with the Bucks and were much better players for them.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#51 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:30 pm

The idea that individual perimeter defense in basketball is as important as, or somehow offsets or even mitigates elite offensive production, is one of the biggest analytics promoted myths out there. I don't even get how people can believe that when we continuously see 3 of the top-5 players in the league (Harden, Curry, Westbrook) be trash on the defensive end, yet still have superstar and MVP impact. Guys like Lillard, McCollum, and Beal to a lesser extent as well.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,940

Post#52 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:44 pm

You can't compare basketball to football or baseball, where defenders/pitchers are literally paid to focus only on that side of the ball. Not even close.

Most here understand the value of defense, but in a team concept. In an ideal world every player would be good on both sides. That just doesn't happen, and like Swanson said, look no further than the best players in the league to realize that a massive impact can still be made on the game even as a defensive liability.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#53 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Obviously Ray's bad defense wasn't nearly bad enough to offset his good offense, and there are tons of other all-stars you can say that about too. But when it's Ray vs. Sid, a 2-time DPOY, it's a huge difference. Most of Ray's best years were for other teams, too. He started out as a ball-hog who forced a lot of shots for his first 3 years, had a couple really good years, and then went down the toilet again because he spent the summer of 2001 shooting He Got Game instead of rehabbing his knee. He didn't return to form until after he was traded to Seattle. He wasn't any better than guys like Sprewell, Houston, or Eddie Jones in his time with the Bucks.

You can't claim to have any understanding of the importance of defense if you have Ray ahead of Sid.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,940

Post#54 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:14 pm

He Got Game came out in '98..

And post summer-'01, Ray produced right in line with his Bucks peak that began in '99. In '01-'02, he shot his best 3pt% as a Buck, on the most attempts, and had a 60% TS. His PPG went up due to a higher usage in SEA, not because he regained form.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,934

Post#55 » by emunney » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 pm

So 2k18 released the Bucks all time team:

Big O
Sid
Ray
Dandridge
KAJ

Giannis
Baker
Bogut
Cummings
Lanier
Pressey
Jonny Mac
Redd
Pierce
JENNINGS

Big Dog, Marques, Winters, Bridgeman, Cassell all out. Jennings over Cassell would be my biggest problem and everyone else's, I'd guess, but I think Marques not making it is pretty inexcusable.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,227

Post#56 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 pm

2nd best scorer in franchise history doesn't make it. Garbage.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Re: Name your all-time roster - 2K18 alltime roster released pg.3 

Post#57 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Lol at Jennings. They probably needed to add a PG but if that's the case then excluding Sam makes it even more dumb. No Marques or Big Dog is a joke.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#58 » by GBPackers47 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 pm

no Ervin Johnson is an absolute crime
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,269

Post#59 » by FlagsFlyForever » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 pm

emunney wrote:So 2k18 released the Bucks all time team:

Big O
Sid
Ray
Dandridge
KAJ

Giannis
Baker
Bogut
Cummings
Lanier
Pressey
Jonny Mac
Redd
Pierce
JENNINGS

Big Dog, Marques, Winters, Bridgeman, Cassell all out. Jennings over Cassell would be my biggest problem and everyone else's, I'd guess, but I think Marques not making it is pretty inexcusable.

That's a pretty good team overall considering 2K has to sign contracts with every player who isn't currently active. They probably couldn't come to an agreement with the snubs such as Cassell and Marques.

Read on Twitter
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#60 » by Prince12 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 pm

Jennings inclusion actually made me spit my coffee out. That is hilarious.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus

Return to Milwaukee Bucks