ImageImage

The Ringer: Tjarks PG story - Brogdon, Rubio and Jackson

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Re: The Ringer: Tjarks PG story - Brogdon, Rubio and Jackson 

Post#41 » by bigkurty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Go look at the Spurs roster last year and tell me how many dynamic wing players were breaking down guys in half court sets. Now go look at their offensive ranking last year. What answers did you get?

I think guys like Jamal Crawford can sometimes have their value inflated by fans of teams who don't have a guy like that off the bench. Meanwhile San Antonio is sitting over the with the antithesis of athleticism and knocking out elite offensive efficiency year after year. Team ball is what wins game after game consistently. Not breakdown iso guys.

For every time a team goes to iso ball BS in hopes a Kyrie can single handily carry them to a win, they will also go to said player and lose. What we really need is a coach that understands that and holds his guys accountable for that. i.e. "Hey Khris, you are a great player but for the love of god stop the tough shot express routine possession after possession late in games." Or "hey guys, let me show you this simple play we can do late in games that would basically guarantee Khris a wide open three rather than the tough shot express BS
Read on Twitter
"

You could run that play with Giannis being the dive guy who provides the screen and any pg making the pass and probably get Khris 3-4 wide open 3's per game. That is how efficient half court offense should be played. That is also the kind of stuff San Antonio is trying to do late in games. Hell GS basically does the team ball approach on offense too. Its rare to see them go to full blown iso ball possession after possession.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#42 » by Jez2983 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 pm

BK I agree with what you said, but I'm unsure that we currently become a 'smart offense' team with our coaching staff.

Hence why people want a fast-scoring guard. Certainly getting rid of Kidd fits with my first sentence but it doesn't appear that's happening.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#43 » by Jez2983 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Marvin Berry wrote:I mean, based on watching Thon play all year?

Yeah he was terrible in December.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#44 » by DingleJerry » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:49 pm

Spoiler:
bigkurty wrote:Go look at the Spurs roster last year and tell me how many dynamic wing players were breaking down guys in half court sets. Now go look at their offensive ranking last year. What answers did you get?

I think guys like Jamal Crawford can sometimes have their value inflated by fans of teams who don't have a guy like that off the bench. Meanwhile San Antonio is sitting over the with the antithesis of athleticism and knocking out elite offensive efficiency year after year. Team ball is what wins game after game consistently. Not breakdown iso guys.

For every time a team goes to iso ball BS in hopes a Kyrie can single handily carry them to a win, they will also go to said player and lose. What we really need is a coach that understands that and holds his guys accountable for that. i.e. "Hey Khris, you are a great player but for the love of god stop the tough shot express routine possession after possession late in games." Or "hey guys, let me show you this simple play we can do late in games that would basically guarantee Khris a wide open three rather than the tough shot express BS
Read on Twitter
"

You could run that play with Giannis being the dive guy who provides the screen and any pg making the pass and probably get Khris 3-4 wide open 3's per game. That is how efficient half court offense should be played. That is also the kind of stuff San Antonio is trying to do late in games. Hell GS basically does the team ball approach on offense too. Its rare to see them go to full blown iso ball possession after possession.

I agree with your overall point about team ball and passing, I push that here all the time too. However, I think you're misconstruing us wanting an attack lead PG with playing ISO ball. I don't think anyone here wants that. Teams like GSW/SAS still often start off a PnR and you need a threat at PG to crease the D. Sometimes that guy pops of the screen, sometimes drive to finish, some to drive ankd kick for 3s, some dump to the roll man or pick and pop. This is what NBA offenses revolve around these days and why you want a big threat at PG. Even the Spurs do exactly this with Parker for the glory years and use Mills like that now too. We see way too much of high post iso as it is in MKE, I don't think anyone here is advocating for that necessarily.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,006

Post#45 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 am

bigkurty wrote:Go look at the Spurs roster last year and tell me how many dynamic wing players were breaking down guys in half court sets. Now go look at their offensive ranking last year. What answers did you get?

parker and manu are both breakerdowners.

I don't want selfish guys. just a guy who when the offense breaks down can take a guy off the dribble if he needs to. we got NOBODY like that and no Giannis doesn't count for me that way either.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,662

Post#46 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Spurs are the best example to use there. For all their championship years they had one of the fastest/quickest slashing PG's in the league in Tony Parker breaking down opposing defenses. And Manu coming off the bench in that combo guard role tearing up 2nd units. You can scheme stuff all you want, but you need talent in the NBA to win, and those guys had it in spades, regardless of where they were drafted.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#47 » by Prez » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Tbf he did he say last year, when Manu and Parker weren't even close to the same quick off dribble threats they once were. Parker had flashes here and there but that's it. And they still had an elite offense.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#48 » by emunney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

I don't want selfish guys. just a guy who when the offense breaks down can take a guy off the dribble if he needs to. we got NOBODY like that and no Giannis doesn't count for me that way either.

With last year's Spurs, I think it's more about the fact that Kawhi can get a midrange jumper literally whenever he wants. That's their bailout option.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#49 » by crkone » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm

emunney wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

With last year's Spurs, I think it's more about the fact that Kawhi can get a midrange jumper literally whenever he wants. That's their bailout option.

They took about 7 more pull up jumpers per game than the last place Bucks. That threat in itself opens things up a bit. The Bucks EFG% is 5th worse in the league on pull up jumpers, Spurs are about 3% better at 43%.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#50 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:18 pm

emunney wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:

agreed but still....who on our roster can create a drive even like the senior citizen versions of parker and manu? that would be my point. we are slow in the half court. perhaps I cant think of a single team in the league slower or more reliant on ball movement and postups.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#51 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
chonestown wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
we need a gaurd who can break a dude down. I don't think it needs to be a pg.

Yeah, I agree with this. Bigly.

I hope you guys have dreams about DeMar DeRozan on the Bucks tonight then you wake up and apologize.

Obviously Vaughn is a long ways off from even rookie DeRozan but I think the team is looking for him to fill that bench scoring role that we had in Mayo. We desperately need a guard that can shoot 3s off the dribble or get to the rim out of the pnr.

I think Brogdon comes back with some more versatility to his game after this summer and am looking at Sterling Brown to contribute this season as well.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#52 » by emunney » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Giannis and Monroe post ups. That's our crunch time ground game.

We should be focusing on having fewer close games. We don't need to target a 'type' of player other than 'good'.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,662

Post#53 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Any team with Giannis as your superstar needs to get out and run at every opportunity. We say it every year, but with the players we have now, it's beyond stupid that the offense is still playing at a "grit and grind Grizzlies" like pace. If the coaching staff can't figure this out after 2 years of this group being together, then changes are gonna have to be made.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM

Post#54 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 pm

emunney wrote:Giannis and Monroe post ups. That's our crunch time ground game.

We should be focusing on having fewer close games. We don't need to target a 'type' of player other than 'good'.

so in close games our solution is to tell the guys they shouldn't have let it stay close? when its a tie game with 5 seconds on the clock we let them know we cant allow ourselves into this position?

weve targeted good players. weve got good players. but were working with a recipe that's never been cooked ever in this league yet. big long tall stretchy guys are great but getting one quick basketball player on this team would be nice too imo. were not always going to have the opportunity for the wheel or a 15 second postup play.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks