F
12%

Total votes: 121

smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Re: Grade the Bucks Offseason 

Post#141 » by smauss » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Nowak008 wrote:Ever since DB became a mod he has become an optimist. Coincidence I think not. :reporter:

He used to be much more fun before he became Reasonable......... :D
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Perishable517
Analyst
And1: 1,944

Post#142 » by Perishable517 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:53 pm

Yah, I gave an A (I would have selected B+ but that wasn't an option). We signed Snell, a player who fit like a glove last season, to a reasonable contract. We did not make a stupid move, like trading Monroe or signing some other player to a stupid contract. I'm good with the draft picks, as well. I *really like* the fact we are keeping this team together for another season. There is something to be said with consistency. I'd give it an A if we could move Henson. I also like what Terry bought, leadership wise, to the team.
" If you take away the alc l r g on Malcolm Brogdon is Mom Bod :("
- emunney

"I’d place the phone directly between my cheeks while I let one rip right in John Hammond’s ear."
- BroncoBuck
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#143 » by kid idioteque » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

C for roster
F for Horst

D overall
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,834

Post#144 » by fansinceforever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:05 pm

C. the Front office seemed to get better after the Horst hire and I like DJ Wilson/Sterling Brown Draft.

They couldn't shed Henson or Telly, Snell is a meh signing. It's very possible we end up hating it and we probably don't ever love it. Horst might be the guy but this franchise needed someone that inspired hope, signified a real commitment to building the right way and alleviated the concerns swirling in the media.

After writing this, I guess maybe D or D+ was a better choice.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#145 » by smauss » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm curious if folks believe our roster is better than last year and why or why not?
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#146 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:42 pm

trwi7 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote: If Zanik is so great and Horst is so terrible, why doesn't LED (who certainly knows more about both of these guys than any of us), see it that way?

Well two of them wanted Zanik. Edens wanted a big name but didn't want to pay the price to bring one here and since Edens is governor and can overrule, they ended up with Horst. So nobody wanted Horst initially, hence why he was never a candidate until like a day before he was announced as the hire.

If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary? It's more likely that he saw Zanik work for a year and realized that Horst was simply better.
Read on Twitter
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#147 » by buckboy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:44 pm

The real thing that I took from this offseason is that I suspected our owners to be boobs. Now I know it.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#148 » by crkone » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:55 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote: If Zanik is so great and Horst is so terrible, why doesn't LED (who certainly knows more about both of these guys than any of us), see it that way?

Well two of them wanted Zanik. Edens wanted a big name but didn't want to pay the price to bring one here and since Edens is governor and can overrule, they ended up with Horst. So nobody wanted Horst initially, hence why he was never a candidate until like a day before he was announced as the hire.

If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary? It's more likely that he saw Zanik work for a year and realized that Horst was simply better.

Probably stemming from this:

http://woelfelspressbox.com/2017/06/bucks-continue-their-purge/

Zanik, McKinney and Gilmartin weren’t the only ones fired by the Bucks in recent weeks. Two members of the Bucks public relations department – Mark Rosenberg, the director of communications, and Erika Johnson, public relations coordinator, have been dismissed.
Besides the aforementioned firings, sources said some Bucks employees have been asked or had to take pay reductions.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,298

Post#149 » by KidA24 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:35 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Then why wasn't Horst part of the interview process?
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#150 » by raferfenix » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 pm

I wish I could be more optimistic about Horst.

Don't get me wrong I'm hoping for the best.

But it's a fair question whether he's there just to be a yes man to ownership / Kidd / Thorn.

Would love nothing more than for him to prove this skepticism was unnecessary upon reflection. We'll know more whenever the Bucks start making more significant transactions.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,143

Post#151 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Again, Kidd is the de facto GM. People can use circular logic to feel better about Horst's role, but I think thats nothing more than a serious case of denial. Horst is a puppet and the organization will sink or swim with Jason Kidd making final calls on trades and free agents. Now I don't expect that fact to prevent the #firekidd contingent from heaping praise on Horst the second we hear about a move that is overwhelmingly lauded. But the writing is on the wall here.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#152 » by M-C-G » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 pm

smauss wrote:I'm curious if folks believe our roster is better than last year and why or why not?

More from internal improvement of last years roster. Though I think Sterling Brown has a place in this league, Wilson I'm in wait and see mode.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#153 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 pm

crkone wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Probably stemming from this:

http://woelfelspressbox.com/2017/06/bucks-continue-their-purge/

Zanik, McKinney and Gilmartin weren’t the only ones fired by the Bucks in recent weeks. Two members of the Bucks public relations department – Mark Rosenberg, the director of communications, and Erika Johnson, public relations coordinator, have been dismissed.
Besides the aforementioned firings, sources said some Bucks employees have been asked or had to take pay reductions.

How is this related to Edens not wanting to promote Zanik to GM?

Read on Twitter
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#154 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:02 pm

KidA24 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

It was reported that they made the decision to name him GM before ever interviewing him. It seems like they knew what they had in Horst without an interview.

Read on Twitter
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Post#155 » by Wooderson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:14 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary? It's more likely that he saw Zanik work for a year and realized that Horst was simply better.

It was reported that they made the decision to name him GM before ever interviewing him. It seems like they knew what they had in Horst without an interview.

Then why have this whole horst and pony show prior to naming him? These guys care about optics and likely knew the fallout from how it all went down. Really doesn't make much sense.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,298

Post#156 » by KidA24 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:35 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary? It's more likely that he saw Zanik work for a year and realized that Horst was simply better.

"They knew he was better than Zanik"

They then didn't interview Horst and had Zanik as one of the two finalists for the job.

Your logic is failing me.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,790

Post#157 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:03 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary?

Because I would assume on that hiring he had the support and checkbooks from a couple other billionaires (with a b) who wanted Zanik in that spot all along, all the way up until Edens vetoed it.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#158 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Wooderson wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Then why have this whole horst and pony show prior to naming him? These guys care about optics and likely knew the fallout from how it all went down. Really doesn't make much sense.

It doesn't hurt to bring a wide variety of people in for interviews and explore all of your options. I don't think they made up their mind on Horst before the hiring process began. I think they made up their mind on Horst after interviewing the other candidates. I think Horst was always a candidate.

Read on Twitter
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#159 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:32 pm

KidA24 wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

"They knew he was better than Zanik"

They then didn't interview Horst and had Zanik as one of the two finalists for the job.

Your logic is failing me.

My logic is they liked Zanik. They liked Horst more. When the time came to make an official decision, they looped Horst in and gave him an official interview.

Read on Twitter
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager

Post#160 » by FlagsFlyForever » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:If Edens is so cheap, why was he okay bringing in Zanik as assistant GM and giving him a contract that paid him equal to a GM's salary?

Because I would assume on that hiring he had the support and checkbooks from a couple other billionaires (with a b) who wanted Zanik in that spot all along, all the way up until Edens vetoed it.

How did Zanik make it all the way through the process to be a finalist? If Edens hated Zanik and was never going to approve him to be GM, it seems like he would've made that point clear immediately. My guess is Zanik would be the Bucks GM right now if Horst didn't exist.

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks