ImageImage

OT: Australia Trip

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

OT: Australia Trip 

Post#1 » by JEIS » Fri Sep 1, 2017 1:35 am

I am taking a trip to Indonesia (Bali) for a friends wedding in June, then heading over to Australia for a week. Any suggestions on where to go and what to see would be greatly appreciated.

I know we have a lot of Aussie Bucks fans on this site.. figured this would be a productive way to get some tips on must see things.. places to eat.... all kinds of things while I am there. Thanks in advance for the help... Same goes for if anyone has been to or lives in Bali.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Re: OT: Australia Trip 

Post#2 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Sep 1, 2017 1:51 am

Where in AU? It's a 4-5hrs flight west to east coast, do you want to avoid this or are you happy to make your way East as well?
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,142

Post#3 » by JEIS » Fri Sep 1, 2017 2:12 am

Pachinko_ wrote:Where in AU? It's a 4-5hrs flight west to east coast, do you want to avoid this or are you happy to make your way East as well?

I am not 100% sure. More than likely fly into Sydney. I am planning to see the Great Barrier Reef.... It is likely a once in a lifetime thing, so I am pretty down to do and go wherever, so trying to figure out what is must see to make an itinerary.... I figued I would use suggestions to help determine where I should go.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#4 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:01 am

June is winter though so it's not the best time. If you go to Sydney you may as well stick with the touristy stuff, the Opera, Darling Harbour, the bridge and the like, it's all beautiful. If you venture in the country just be mindful of the distances because they are huge and will eat into your week in no time. Melbourne, same, just stick with the city centre, maybe add a winery tour one day or maybe Philip island to see a bit of the country. The Barrier reef is also worth it, they have some nice boat tours that you can dive and swim with the giant groupers. Also it would be nice to book a day for fishing on a chartered boat, it's fun and you might end up with fresh bluefin tuna for dinner. Or maybe a trip to Whitehaven beach (make sure it's not box jelly fish season or you'll be asked to wear a full body suit just for a swim).

Of all the places in AU by far my favourite is Tasmania, it's almost like a different planet. Read up on it, if nature is your thing see if you can squeeze it in, but you will need 3 days minimum.
brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,730

Post#5 » by brettski » Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:29 am

If you're planning on seeing the reef. Don't fly in to Sydney. If you're coming down from Bali you'll want to stop at either Cairns of the Whitsundays to check out the reef. Then you could continue from there down to Sydney or Melbourne. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of time flying back and fourth. Sydney <-> Cairns is about 3hrs each way so you're wasting 6 extra hours in the air.

Cairns is set up as a tourism city with heaps of options for cruises out to islands or pontoons on the reef. lots of accommodation options to. Big pack packer town.

Skip Brisbane (its boring - I live here) no where near as much to do as Melbourne or Sydney. Gold Coast is amazing but after Bali and the reef you probably want something other than beach related to do.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#6 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:50 am

One more thing, with your limited time, don't get sucked into seeing as many cities as possible. They all have their landmarks usually around the city center and other subtle differences, but other than that town planning and architecture is just copied and pasted. I'd pick one of Sydney or Melbourne and spend more time at the ocean, you'll have more fun and memories.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#7 » by Jez2983 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 3:59 am

Sydney - could do Hunter Valley for wine and food although a bit of a trek.

Melbourne - same thing for Mornington.

At that time of year you'd also be able to catch an AFL game or NRL game.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#8 » by Rastas » Fri Sep 1, 2017 12:05 pm

Consider the West Coast - Perth is like only 4hrs from Bali then if you want to see a reef go north to Ningaloo Reef ( best spot in the world to swim with Whale Sharks - and June is Whale Shark season) , also Broome is a very nice spot for a few days.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#9 » by crkone » Fri Sep 1, 2017 12:21 pm

June is prime drop bear season on the coasts too so consider that.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#10 » by machu46 » Fri Sep 1, 2017 8:34 pm

Absolutely catch an AFL game. I've only made it to Australia once and the game I went to was a gigantic blow out, but it was so cool to see it in person.

On my trip, I spent about a week in Melbourne and a week in Cairns with one day in Sydney. My girlfriend is from Melbourne, so that week was mostly just hanging out with her aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc.

There was a lot of fun stuff to do in Cairns; went white water rafting, went up this gandala kinda thing to some sort of village/zoo kinda area, went snorkeling. I enjoyed it a lot.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Coln72
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#11 » by Coln72 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 11:46 am

Steer clear of the southern half of Australia in June, it's gonna be cold and ****. Unless seeing an AFL game is on your bucket list.
Agree about Tassie though. Absolutley magneficent.
Knew Delly before it was cool
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#12 » by AussieBuck » Sat Sep 2, 2017 12:07 pm

Bump the thread in a closer to your trip, it's mid AFL season in June but there could be a big game and you shouldn't miss if there's a 80,000+ crowd game on.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#13 » by Prince12 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 12:35 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Bump the thread in a closer to your trip, it's mid AFL season in June but there could be a big game and you shouldn't miss if there's a 80,000+ crowd game on.

Or any Geelong game in general right..
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
trublu
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#14 » by trublu » Sat Sep 2, 2017 12:47 pm

Everyone posts are spot on.

Cairns is the best place to base yourself to see the GBR. You should be able to get a direct flight from Denpasar to Cairns via Jetstar (it's a budget airline, but it will get you there). I'd suggest getting out to Green Island as it's the closest part of the reef to the mainland. You can go snorkelling and take a ride in an underwater viewing platform. Lots of nice restaurants along The Esplanade as well. It's definitely a tourist town, so there's lots of different tours you can take. The Tourist Info Centres usually have hawkers out the front that will be happy to help you out. Cairns is in the tropics so June is the best time to go. It's 28 degrees (Celsius) every day with no rain and minimal humidity. No box jellyfish either.

You could then catch a direct flight from Cairns to either Sydney or Melbourne, but being an New South Welshman, I'd go with Sydney. Beautiful beaches, Taronga Zoo, The Opera House, Harbour Bridge and your choice of four codes of football to go and watch (Super Rugby, AFL, Rugby League and Soccer). The Hunter Valley is a 2 hour drive away, but if you like your wine, it's worth a visit. It will be winter so it will get pretty chilly though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:Could thon be suspended in the nba?

I commend people like you that can look for the silver lining in a situation like this.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Sep 2, 2017 1:06 pm

As a european the most remarkable thing I found about the AFL is fans from different teams sitting next to eachother with no police in between, and nobody's head gets bashed in. Amazing. Other than that, you know, there's a reason the rest of the world doesn't watch or play aussie rules. Don't tell anybody while you're there :)

Men in tight shorts though, if that's your thing.
Prince12
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prince12 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 2:26 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:As a european the most remarkable thing I found about the AFL is fans from different teams sitting next to eachother with no police in between, and nobody's head gets bashed in. Amazing. Other than that, you know, there's a reason the rest of the world doesn't watch or play aussie rules. Don't tell anybody while you're there :)

Men in tight shorts though, if that's your thing.

Yeah cause you pussies aren't built to play afl.

Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#17 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Sep 2, 2017 2:33 pm

thats right I don't do tight shorts you perv
Prince12
RealGM

Post#18 » by Prince12 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:25 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:thats right I don't do tight shorts you perv

Dj Wilson thinks you're an idiot.

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#19 » by thomchatt3rton » Sat Sep 2, 2017 5:38 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:thats right I don't do tight shorts you perv

Your avatar suggests otherwise.
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#20 » by The Rodzilla » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 am

the weather is starting to get better now, so in sydney taking a ferry to see the harbor is nice and then my recommendation if you would like to see some non ugly australian women and great beaches is to go to bondi beach and take the coastal walk down to coogee beach

then if you want to have some crappy weather and do nothing all day you could take a short plane trip to melbourne

Return to Milwaukee Bucks