Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,587

Re: RE: Re: 2017 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#301 » by blazza18 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Tonight's Halt absolutely destroyed me.

I just finished the episode I think you were talking about and yeah it was a stomach punch.

I realize critics like the show but overall halt and catch fire might be the most underappreciated show of this era of TV. Its really really good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Seems to happen to shows that have mediocre first seasons and massive improvements after that. Halt definitely falls into that category.

Maybe because I got on to it late and binged right through it but I never got the criticism of the first season.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Re: 2017 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#302 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:04 pm

blazza18 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I just finished the episode I think you were talking about and yeah it was a stomach punch.

I realize critics like the show but overall halt and catch fire might be the most underappreciated show of this era of TV. Its really really good.

Seems to happen to shows that have mediocre first seasons and massive improvements after that. Halt definitely falls into that category.

Maybe because I got on to it late and binged right through it but I never got the criticism of the first season.

I didn't start it until after season one ended and I don't really get the criticism either. The worst thing you can say is it didn't get Davis and Biche enough of their own storylines which, yea, but I still liked it a lot.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,874

Post#303 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

blazza18 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I just finished the episode I think you were talking about and yeah it was a stomach punch.

It's not like it was bad, I mean I kept watching. As best I can remember it premiered right as Mad Men was nearing the end of its run and it kind of felt like they were trying too hard to make Joe McMillan the tech industry Don Draper. I think with some distance between the two shows, like how you probably watched the first season, it likely works better.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#304 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 am

Another intersting similarity between halt and leftovers is both shows found some great actresses playing Nora and Donna and ran with it and expanded their roles.

Halt also expanded Cameron's role and I think shes the weak link of the cast so I guess they aren't perfect :)

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,716

Post#305 » by emunney » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Another intersting similarity between halt and leftovers is both shows found some great actresses playing Nora and Donna and ran with it and expanded their roles.

Halt also expanded Cameron's role and I think shes the weak link of the cast so I guess they aren't perfect :)

Carrie Coon was so obscenely good. And the Matt-centric episodes. Sheesh. A more artistically mature LOST in a lot of ways.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 pm

After the dumb controversy this week I gave Rick and Morty a shot. It's fine.
emunney
RealGM

Post#307 » by emunney » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Rick and Morty is great and has a large and vocal group of toxic people as fans.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,786

Post#308 » by tydett » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 pm

emunney wrote:Carrie Coon was so obscenely good. And the Matt-centric episodes. Sheesh. A more artistically mature LOST in a lot of ways.

Did not like the first season because I didn't understand the premise of the show, and assumed the "reveal" would come in the last episode of the season. Then I ruminated on it that year and it became must-watch TV. The Leftovers is a cannot-miss show.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

emunney wrote:Rick and Morty is great and has a large and vocal group of toxic people as fans.

I liked it enough to binge all of season one and part of two in two nights. Definitely laughed. I'm confused about the size of this fan group you mentioned and why they're so loud.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#310 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Holy crap Mr. Robot is back tonight. That snuck up on me.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,616

Post#311 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:16 pm

It's a Dan Harmon vehicle, so of course it's written insanely well and is thought provokingly funny. But yeah, the problem is the overtly ironic and obnoxious hipster fanbase that it attracts. I don't understand the whole McDonalds sauce thing.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#312 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
emunney wrote:Rick and Morty is great and has a large and vocal group of toxic people as fans.

I liked it enough to binge all of season one and part of two in two nights. Definitely laughed. I'm confused about the size of this fan group you mentioned and why they're so loud.

Yeah theres some hilarious Rick and Morty epidsodes, but lets be serious the main "loud" fanbase is just 18 to 32 year old dudes who need to get out. Rioting over BBQ sauce mixed with Sweet and Sour, sometimes I wonder just how many people who watch a show like that dont really get it.
emunney
RealGM

Post#313 » by emunney » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I think it's people who just identify with how Rick is a loud ****. He's like the platonic ideal of the loud **** genius they all wish they were IRL.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#314 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:08 pm

Oh so it's like the people who think Walter White was the hero of Breaking Bad.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#315 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Oh so it's like the people who think Walter White was the hero of Breaking Bad.

Minus sex tho.
emunney
RealGM

Post#316 » by emunney » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Oh so it's like the people who think Walter White was the hero of Breaking Bad.

Yep def along those lines.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#317 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:44 pm

“The Chinese were pussies!”-George Karl from "Furious George. My Forty Years Surviving NBA Divas, Clueless GMs, and Poor Shot Selection"
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#318 » by bizarro » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:“The Chinese were pussies!”-George Karl from "Furious George. My Forty Years Surviving NBA Divas, Clueless GMs, and Poor Shot Selection"

I think, perhaps, George had a distant relative who succombed to the allure of Chinatown's smoking opium before it was rendered illegal. Poor poor, George. Once 'Curious'...now just a total douche.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,010

Post#319 » by Siefer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Without diving too deep on the subject, the toxic and obsessive people in the Rick and Morty fandom are people that are toxic and obsessive about many of their pursuits. Rick and Morty is the latest focal point for this obsessiveness, and its mainstream success is giving these folks a ton of exposure. That exposure has highlighted the community's regular nonsense (I long ago abandoned the Rick and Morty subreddit), and now threatens their belief that this wonderful thing belongs to them and them alone.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,616

Post#320 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm

I'd say that's a pretty deep dive into the subject lol. I think the simple answer is that there are a lot of annoying D-bags who take things from their favorite cult shows/movies too far.

Like yeah, we get it. You guys like the show because it presents complex science-fiction ideas and compresses it into easily digestible comedy in internet-meme form. And it helps you cope with your depression.....cool. It doesn't make you some deep-thinking philosopher.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks