ImageImage

2018 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Who do you think will be the #1 overall pick?

Deandre Ayton
32%
Luka Doncic
40%
Mohamed Bamba
2%
Marvin Bagley III
13%
Michael Porter Jr
11%
Other
2%

Total votes: 186

leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 pm

bizarro wrote:
BucksFanSD wrote:Robert Williams is my hope and he would improve our rebounding a ton but I also don't think he lasts to 17.

yeah, emuney hinted at this a week or so ago. BUT, man, would Williams be a sweet sweet big to have in our mix. Like really really sweet. We don't have a single guy on the Bucks who has his combination of athleticism and grit. He's got an NBA body and NBA athleticism for sure.

Feels like almost a carbon copy of Bam, who'd be almost perfect for this team.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man

Post#602 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:40 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Robert Williams would be cool, but I have a hard time believing he'll be available. Still really high on Jontay Porter, think he could be a Myles Turner type-- floor spacer & shot blocker. Could also do a lot worse than Jalen Brunson, as he is clutch, tough, provides spacing and has a very high BBIQ.

Porter interests me as well. His per-minute numbers are pretty good across the board, even more impressive for a guy who should be a high school senior. I do worry that he's a little on the soft side, not super athletic and has short arms (7'0). But he's a smart, really skilled player (something the Bucks desperately need) and has many of the traits of an ideal C next to Giannis.

If you could trade back to late in the 1st, while picking up a 2nd, I'd be all for it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#603 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:50 pm

If Williams is there at 17 he's worth the pick. I do find his less than 50% FT shooting a concern. Not that rim runners haven't been successful as crappy FT shooters but it does make them a bit easier to guard when you can simply foul them.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,752

Post#604 » by emunney » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:15 pm

Carter is in. Much good, very want.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#605 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

emunney wrote:Carter is in. Much good, very want.

I love Carter. I think he's a far safer prospect than guys like bagley or bamba and I don't really agree with the idea he doesn't have as much of a ceiling.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#606 » by LuessiT » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:48 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
emunney wrote:Carter is in. Much good, very want.

I love Carter. I think he's a far safer prospect than guys like bagley or bamba and I don't really agree with the idea he doesn't have as much of a ceiling.

Bamba definately has a higher ceiling than Carter. It's just much less likely that he actually reaches that ceiling. I certainly wouldn't bank on it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,752

Post#607 » by emunney » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:21 pm

"Ceiling" is tied so tightly to skill development. One thing I like about all three guys is they've all got good hands (by far least true of Bamba, but still). I prefer Carter because he's so well rounded and has such a strong innate understanding of the game on both ends. He's match-up proof.

Bamba is obviously going to have immediate utility in limited minutes as a rangy rim protector. But what about Bagley? He's shown some signs of versatility offensively but everything centers around scoring. He's got a modern C skillset but probably isn't thick enough and you definitely don't want him filling the gaps on the back of your defense, and, despite his ability to make plays at the top of the rectangle, he almost never shows that on defense. He's a spectacular offensive 4 if his shooting continues to improve, fluid in the open floor with great body control and touch, and he's extremely difficult to keep off the glass. Big pluses and big minuses. Carter just checks every single box. I really like Bamba though and it wouldn't be an easy call.

One thing about Bamba is he's uncannily good at blocking shots to his teammates. A lot of his blocks are like touch passes.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#608 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Williams has some nice tools but I don't think he's as good a prospect as BAM! Dude can't shoot, like.....at all.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#609 » by LuessiT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Williams has some nice tools but I don't think he's as good a prospect as BAM! Dude can't shoot, like.....at all.

Yeah I'm not super high on him either. He's basicly a guy who's going to contribute and who you want on your roster during his rookie contract but you don't want to pay him afterwards. Which is kinda decent at 17 I guess, but just not my cup of tea.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,377

Post#610 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:41 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Williams has some nice tools but I don't think he's as good a prospect as BAM! Dude can't shoot, like.....at all.

Just watched his game against Kentucky and I thought I was watching a more physical Larry Sanders out there, right down to the dunking where he doesn't gather but just straight arms it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#611 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:11 pm

I'd still gladly take him at #17 and hope he irons out the FT stuff, but I just don't think his upside is super high.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#612 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'd still gladly take him at #17 and hope he irons out the FT stuff, but I just don't think his upside is super high.

I tend to agree because I can't fathom him ever being able to hit a shot outside the paint. I think measurements are going to be very important for Williams. He's listed at 6'9 but if he's actually smaller than that then he could drop because he's already pushing the limit of how short you can be and survive at C.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#613 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:50 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
bizarro wrote:
BucksFanSD wrote:Robert Williams is my hope and he would improve our rebounding a ton but I also don't think he lasts to 17.

yeah, emuney hinted at this a week or so ago. BUT, man, would Williams be a sweet sweet big to have in our mix. Like really really sweet. We don't have a single guy on the Bucks who has his combination of athleticism and grit. He's got an NBA body and NBA athleticism for sure.

Yup very similar, though Williams has been a better rebounder and shot-blocker at the college level. Bam's got a small advantage in strength while Williams is slightly more athletic. It'll be fun to watch them battle each other in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#614 » by LuessiT » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:
bizarro wrote:

Yup very similar, though Williams has been a better rebounder and shot-blocker at the college level. Bam's got a small advantage in strength while Williams is slightly more athletic. It'll be fun to watch them battle each other in the NBA.

I mean Bam has actual perimeter skills. He can pass some, is a surprisingly good ball-handler and is able to shoot. I have no troubles envisioning him as a 4 if he improves further. Williams has only one position in the NBA. And he's going to be undersized for it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#615 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:40 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:

I mean Bam has actual perimeter skills. He can pass some, is a surprisingly good ball-handler and is able to shoot. I have no troubles envisioning him as a 4 if he improves further. Williams has only one position in the NBA. And he's going to be undersized for it.

Maybe he's developed some in the NBA, because he sure didn't show any perimeter skills at Kentucky. I would have said ZERO chance he'll be a 4 in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,071

Post#616 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yup very similar, though Williams has been a better rebounder and shot-blocker at the college level. Bam's got a small advantage in strength while Williams is slightly more athletic. It'll be fun to watch them battle each other in the NBA.

Maybe he's developed some in the NBA, because he sure didn't show any perimeter skills at Kentucky. I would have said ZERO chance he'll be a 4 in the NBA.

Kentucky's bigs play in the post under Cal. Towns didn't show perimeter skills in college either.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#617 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:53 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Kentucky's bigs play in the post under Cal. Towns didn't show perimeter skills in college either.

Townes definitely did - not to the extent he has in the NBA - but it was obvious he had great skills. Same with Davis.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man

Post#618 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:

Williams is 6-10, 240 lbs with a 7-6 wingspan and a 40" vertical. That's more than big and athletic enough for today's NBA center. And really, that's all he needs to be. We don't need a PF. We already have one.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#619 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:46 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yup very similar, though Williams has been a better rebounder and shot-blocker at the college level. Bam's got a small advantage in strength while Williams is slightly more athletic. It'll be fun to watch them battle each other in the NBA.

Williams is 6-10, 240 lbs with a 7-6 wingspan and a 40" vertical. That's more than big and athletic enough for today's NBA center. And really, that's all he needs to be. We don't need a PF. We already have one.

Where are you getting those measurements? I've seen 6'9 and 7'4 wingspan. If he measures legit 6 10 with a 7 6 wingspan he's gonna fly up draft boards.
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,844

Post#620 » by tydett » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I tend to agree because I can't fathom him ever being able to hit a shot outside the paint.

Oh ****, the Bucks DNA light just started flashing in the FO.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks