2017-18 NCAA Basketball Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Re: 2017-18 NCAA Basketball Thread 

Post#241 » by DingleJerry » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 pm

This is relevant to the discussion. Looking at ending one-and-done

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,665

Post#242 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 pm

The last point there is interesting (Fultz @ Washington, Simmons @ LSU) - I hadn't really thought about it in the context of NBA impact, or change from how things used to be.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#243 » by midranger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Ending the one and done rule will make the NCAA product much better. dont know how it will effect the "payouts" to the other recruits but it will likely be Better for most of the best kids too.

I hope the NBA takes this step and pushes the draft to 3 or 4 rounds. Seems like a no brainer, excepting it will require investment from NBA teams/owners.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,275

Post#244 » by KidA24 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:55 am

midranger wrote:Ending the one and done rule will make the NCAA product much better. dont know how it will effect the "payouts" to the other recruits but it will likely be Better for most of the best kids too.

I hope the NBA takes this step and pushes the draft to 3 or 4 rounds. Seems like a no brainer, excepting it will require investment from NBA teams/owners.

Would be a much easier pill to swallow if every NBA team had a D-League team and kept players rights. Treat it very similar to MLB's minor league system.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#245 » by midranger » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:04 am

KidA24 wrote:
midranger wrote:Ending the one and done rule will make the NCAA product much better. dont know how it will effect the "payouts" to the other recruits but it will likely be Better for most of the best kids too.

Would be a much easier pill to swallow if every NBA team had a D-League team and kept players rights. Treat it very similar to MLB's minor league system.

Yeah, that would probably be a requirement. Seems you'd only need a few more G-league teams.

That's the hang up I could see the owners having.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#246 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:47 pm

By no means is this a reason not to do the proposed 3-4 round draft, but that coupled with the age limit being lifted would probably make recruiting pretty tough for the top 100 guys. Realistically, probably 30 of the top 100 would forgo college if 3 or 4 draft rounds, but there would be a lot of cases where a higher profile school has their PF lined up in recruiting and he declares for the draft a bit later in the process as his stock rises and now they're left holding the bag.

That's another small problem, though. I'm in favor of the ideas presented.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,059

Post#247 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:06 pm

Big 10 honks, who do you feel is going to finish higher in the conference this year: Penn State or Indiana? In a NCAA league and haven't made a Big 10 selection yet. Get point for each win, bonus point for win vs team drafted, and further bonus points if beat a ranked team. Penn State's non-conference schedule kind of sucks but feel they are best team left in Big 10.

And I don't have to take a Big 10 team. Other teams on my best teams available list: are Mississippi St, College of Charleston, Bucknell, Wake Forest, NC State, Syracuse, Utah, and Middle Tennessee. Bonus point for winning conference, making NCAA, winning each round in NCAA, and if make final 8 in NIT bonus points kick-in.

Current team:
11. Florida
12. Cincinnati
33. TCU
34. Rhode Island
55. Stanford
56. Oakland
77. TBD
78. TBD
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#248 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:50 pm

I'd go Indiana just off of reputation and Archie, but it's close, of course.

TeamRankings has Indiana about 20 spots ahead of Penn State in their ratings, KenPom has Penn State about 20 spots ahead of Indiana in theirs...so, it's a toss-up.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,666

Post#249 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 5:06 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Big 10 honks, who do you feel is going to finish higher in the conference this year: Penn State or Indiana? In a NCAA league and haven't made a Big 10 selection yet. Get point for each win, bonus point for win vs team drafted, and further bonus points if beat a ranked team. Penn State's non-conference schedule kind of sucks but feel they are best team left in Big 10.

And I don't have to take a Big 10 team. Other teams on my best teams available list: are Mississippi St, College of Charleston, Bucknell, Wake Forest, NC State, Syracuse, Utah, and Middle Tennessee. Bonus point for winning conference, making NCAA, winning each round in NCAA, and if make final 8 in NIT bonus points kick-in.

Current team:
11. Florida
12. Cincinnati
33. TCU
34. Rhode Island
55. Stanford
56. Oakland
77. TBD
78. TBD

I personally don't expect much from Syracuse this season, but we'll see. A ton of question marks on the team.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#250 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 6, 2017 5:27 pm

machu46 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Big 10 honks, who do you feel is going to finish higher in the conference this year: Penn State or Indiana? In a NCAA league and haven't made a Big 10 selection yet. Get point for each win, bonus point for win vs team drafted, and further bonus points if beat a ranked team. Penn State's non-conference schedule kind of sucks but feel they are best team left in Big 10.

Current team:
11. Florida
12. Cincinnati
33. TCU
34. Rhode Island
55. Stanford
56. Oakland
77. TBD
78. TBD

I personally don't expect much from Syracuse this season, but we'll see. A ton of question marks on the team.

I'm struggling with the ACC teams. My gut is saying NC State but is kind of risky b/c very easily could be in bottom tier again. I took Georgia Tech off my list due to the suspensions. Syracuse is now off the board too. Wake Forest may be the safest pick of them all, but they lost a big player (Collins) from last year.
machu46
General Manager

Post#251 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 5:34 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
machu46 wrote:

Current team:
11. Florida
12. Cincinnati
33. TCU
34. Rhode Island
55. Stanford
56. Oakland
77. TBD
78. TBD

I'm struggling with the ACC teams. My gut is saying NC State but is kind of risky b/c very easily could be in bottom tier again. I took Georgia Tech off my list due to the suspensions. Syracuse is now off the board too. Wake Forest may be the safest pick of them all, but they lost a big player (Collins) from last year.

Are those all of your choices?
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,718

Post#252 » by emunney » Mon Nov 6, 2017 5:43 pm

Kind of bummed about Okogie. He was one of the guys I had on my list to keep a close eye on this year. Reminds me of Cassell.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#253 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 6, 2017 5:43 pm

machu46 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
machu46 wrote:

For ACC these are left: NC State, Wake, BC, GA Tech, Clemson, Pitt.

Looking for a team that may sneak into the upper half in standings or play 500 conference ball and be a for sure NIT team and borderline NCAA.
machu46
General Manager

Post#254 » by machu46 » Mon Nov 6, 2017 6:40 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
machu46 wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:

For ACC these are left: NC State, Wake, BC, GA Tech, Clemson, Pitt.

Looking for a team that may sneak into the upper half in standings or play 500 conference ball and be a for sure NIT team and borderline NCAA.

Hmmmm...given those choices, Syracuse might not actually be that bad lol. Probably Clemson or Syracuse would be my choice.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#255 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 6, 2017 6:47 pm

Clemson, Wake, Ga Tech, Syracuse, Pitt in that order. I'm going strictly off of ratings, though.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#256 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Nov 6, 2017 8:10 pm

Yeah, I kind of feel like you could just toss them in a hat and hope for the best. Maybe will just play it safe and go with a strong mid-major instead of trying to find a sleeper team in a major conference. Thanks everyone!
machu46
General Manager

Post#257 » by machu46 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:11 pm

After last night's scrimmage, I'd say to stay away from Syracuse. They were REALLY struggling with an okay D2 team.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#258 » by buckboy » Tue Nov 7, 2017 2:56 pm

Current team:
11. Florida
12. Cincinnati
33. TCU
34. Rhode Island
55. Stanford
56. Oakland
77. TBD
78. TBD

CofC went 49th in my draft. Whatever that's worth. They are going to be good this year, there's a lot of wins on that schedule.

Our scoring is different too, with a lot of emphasis on post season wins, whether they're NCAA or not.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#259 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Nov 7, 2017 3:49 pm

CoC, Bucknell, Middle Tennessee all went off the board before me. I couldn't decide on ACC thus took flyer on Tennessee with hopes they can sneak into middle of SEC pack. Also took Penn State. If both can be near 500 ball in conference they will be solid picks for that slot.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#260 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Nov 8, 2017 3:42 am

LiAngelo Ball...the stupidity.
Go Bucks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks