ImageImage

The Jabari Discussion Thread - Back 2/2

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,777

Re: The Jabari Discussion Thread - Rehab, Game, Contract - NO DEAL, GOES TO RFA 

Post#521 » by Ayt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:Honestly, **** Jabari. You don't need a max contract to be set for life. It speaks a lot on his health if he is unwilling to take less, and if he really did want to be in Milwaukee, he wouldn't have required a max contract. End of story. If Chicago wants to max him and do a rebuild with two players with a combined three ACL tears then good for them.

Being upset at a guy for trying to make the most money he can is pretty stupid. I am trying to think of whatever walk of life where you have that opinion and people would say "yeah that makes sense, you should take less than the open market dictates", it's just silly.

Be happy we have RFA to figure it out and we either give him an extension we are comfortable with, he goes out and gets an offer, or he plays out the QO.

I don't blame him for wanting to get the most amount of money possible out of his first contract negotiation. I just think it speaks volumes to what his priorities are. Do we really believe he likes Milwaukee as much as he claims if won't take a lesser deal? That whole thing about wanting to spend his career here is clearly bull. When he said it was up to the Bucks if he would stay with the team he meant that it was up to the Bucks to give him max money or not. A healthy Giannis with 2 intact ACLs doesn't even have a max contract. How can Jabari even attempt to justify his max contract unless he knows this will probably be the last contract he ever signs? He doesn't care about the city he plays in. He doesn't care about having the chance to play with someone who will be one of the best players in the league. He doesn't care about winning. He cares about getting paid.

So what contract was offered that he turned down since you seem to have some inside knowledge the rest of us don't.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#522 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:53 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:Honestly, **** Jabari. You don't need a max contract to be set for life. It speaks a lot on his health if he is unwilling to take less, and if he really did want to be in Milwaukee, he wouldn't have required a max contract. End of story. If Chicago wants to max him and do a rebuild with two players with a combined three ACL tears then good for them.

Being upset at a guy for trying to make the most money he can is pretty stupid. I am trying to think of whatever walk of life where you have that opinion and people would say "yeah that makes sense, you should take less than the open market dictates", it's just silly.

Be happy we have RFA to figure it out and we either give him an extension we are comfortable with, he goes out and gets an offer, or he plays out the QO.

I don't blame him for wanting to get the most amount of money possible out of his first contract negotiation. I just think it speaks volumes to what his priorities are. Do we really believe he likes Milwaukee as much as he claims if won't take a lesser deal? That whole thing about wanting to spend his career here is clearly bull. When he said it was up to the Bucks if he would stay with the team he meant that it was up to the Bucks to give him max money or not. A healthy Giannis with 2 intact ACLs doesn't even have a max contract. How can Jabari even attempt to justify his max contract unless he knows this will probably be the last contract he ever signs? He doesn't care about the city he plays in. He doesn't care about having the chance to play with someone who will be one of the best players in the league. He doesn't care about winning. He cares about getting paid.

ReasonablySober wrote:Every player, including Giannis, prioritizes getting paid. Parker believes in his ability, and knows from experience he can come back and score. If he looks good he'll get a max offer. There's no reason in his mind he should have to accept less.

What this guy said
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,732

Post#523 » by emunney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Would be super interested to know what was offered if anybody knows. My guess is whatever it was wasn't very straightforward relative to a typical contract. My dream here is that Jabari comes back and is so good that all but one of us agree he's worth the risk.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#524 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Every player, including Giannis, prioritizes getting paid. Parker believes in his ability, and knows from experience he can come back and score. If he looks good he'll get a max offer. There's no reason in his mind he should have to accept less.

Why did Giannis leave money on the table if he prioritizes getting paid?
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#525 » by ackypoo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:24 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:

why didnt giannis take a min deal if he didnt?

everythings a scale.
emunney
RealGM

Post#526 » by emunney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:27 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:

For one reason, now he gets his next contract (where he can get 35% of the cap) a year sooner.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,037

Post#527 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Yea, Giannis is one of the last guys I'm holding up as helping out the team with his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#528 » by xTitan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Not sure how the whole super max thing works, but it appears Giannis only wanted 4 yrs, that way he can leave if mgmt fails to build a winner around him (super strong bet) or would he be eligible for the super max if he decided to stay?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#529 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm

xTitan wrote:Not sure how the whole super max thing works, but it appears Giannis only wanted 4 yrs, that way he can leave if mgmt fails to build a winner around him (super strong bet) or would he be eligible for the super max if he decided to stay?

Yeah, I feel very confident that Giannis got the deal he wanted and in exchange for it being a four instead of five, Hammond had the cajones to ask him to take a couple of million off.
emunney
RealGM

Post#530 » by emunney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm

xTitan wrote:Not sure how the whole super max thing works, but it appears Giannis only wanted 4 yrs, that way he can leave if mgmt fails to build a winner around him (super strong bet) or would he be eligible for the super max if he decided to stay?

He'll be eligible for the super max if the year before his extension kicks in he's MVP, DPOY, or on ANY All-NBA team; OR, if the two previous years he's any of those things in both years (except MVP -- only need one of those). Just seems very likely he'll qualify.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#531 » by LUKE23 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm

With Giannis, it will come down to whether we have a contender or not. He's not staying here for more money if it doesn't look like we have a potential title team, is my guess.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore

Post#532 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, Giannis is one of the last guys I'm holding up as helping out the team with his contract.

Any superstar that isn't taking the maximum amount of money is helping their team out.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#533 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:39 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, Giannis is one of the last guys I'm holding up as helping out the team with his contract.

Any superstar that isn't taking the maximum amount of money is helping their team out.

Four years vs five years. You're clearly wrong.
Dante80
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#534 » by Dante80 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:07 pm

LUKE23 wrote:With Giannis, it will come down to whether we have a contender or not. He's not staying here for more money if it doesn't look like we have a potential title team, is my guess.

Yes, Giannis is extremely competitive. He is also joined with Jason Kidd at the hip (mentally).

If Kidd goes (before the team can contend), Giannis goes. If Giannis "grows up" professionally, he will go to a better contender anyway.
The only way forward is to build a title contender with Kidd. Not an easy task.

And the Parker dilemma is a really big piece in that task. It is imperative that the FO does well on this one, and up till now they have (going to RFA was the correct decision).
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#535 » by skones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:09 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:

Do you think Lebron "helps out" Cleveland by signing these 1+1's?
WimpyDeer
Sophomore

Post#536 » by WimpyDeer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:

How would our cap situation be with Giannis on a max deal?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#537 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:

How would our cap situation be with Giannis on a max deal?

It saved the Bucks about $2.5 million this year. What do you think helps the organization more: that little amount or having Giannis locked in for another year?
emunney
RealGM

Post#538 » by emunney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:

So when LeBron takes a 1+1 deal, it's to help out Dan Gilbert?
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,240

Post#539 » by dbrodz7 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:20 pm

emunney wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:

Isn't he getting a max for that one year each time?
Misery loves company
emunney
RealGM

Post#540 » by emunney » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
emunney wrote:
WimpyDeer wrote:

Isn't he getting a max for that one year each time?

When you're turning down 3 guaranteed years, you're not taking the maximum amount of money.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks