ImageImage

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 980

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1021 » by Ryan5UW » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:12 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:If you are talking individual stocks, why not robin hood with it free. If you are talking index funds wouldn’t you be better off adding to whatever you 401k account is?

Places like Schwab and Ameritrade also have ETFs and mutual funds with no transaction fees, no loads on the funds, etc. Usually the pool of these is much deeper than what’s in the typical 401k. Not saying you’re wrong about the 401k, totally depends on the situation... just wanted to let people know those are options in online brokerage accounts too.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#1022 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Wooof, Canopy down big the last few days, which is especially weird given the news is that they are selling more than even expected...stay long stay strong fellow canopions.
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1023 » by ackypoo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 pm

i bought a bunch of gold and inverse etfs about...3 weeks ago. but even that stuff hastn been doing great. either way, itll be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,719

Post#1024 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:36 pm

So are we still hodling bitcoin?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#1025 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 pm

I've bought more XRP over the last month.

BTC is in a free fall. I certainly wouldn't sell. I'd hold or average down if you can afford it
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1026 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've bought more XRP over the last month.

BTC is in a free fall. I certainly wouldn't sell. I'd hold or average down if you can afford it

Is there any XRP news or just averaging down?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1027 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Is there any XRP news or just averaging down?

Just averaging down. I still need it to get past a buck to break even
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1028 » by bizarro » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Right now I am hosting 5 Master Nodes of a fringe Pivx Master Node project named ‘Birake’ (BIR). Really intelligent payout structure. Can trade on Cryptopia and Cryptobridge. I’ve averaged $250/day fiat even w BTC’s tank dive. Yesterday I made $850. My calculations are this could last for 1.5 more months.

In other news, I am seeing data and talk that NEO will/could dive to $7.50-7.87. I hold 200 some NEO so am considering a sell-off to recoup 150%.

Currently mining Aion w all gpu’s 2 z9 mini ASICS mining Arrrrrr (KMD offshoot privacy coin that is very interesting) w 2 FPGA’s experimentally leasing mining efforts to MiningRigRentals.

Good luck in the dip gents.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1029 » by BuckHole » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:51 am

Gianstoppable wrote:My roll is continuing, bought up 2500 shares of TTNP and it has gone up 14 cents since I did and continues to climb. Lets go!

I know some of you likely hate penny stocks but this company has a legit chance at making a jump. https://financialstrend.com/national-institute-on-drug-abuse-awards-a-grant-of-6-7-million-to-titan-pharmaceuticals-inc-nasdaqttnp-47089.html

This isn't looking very good at the moment.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1030 » by BuckHole » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:53 am

11/20/18 Gold spot price at $1221 oz. Remind me in a year if this was a good time to buy.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,620

Post#1031 » by Gianstoppable » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:54 pm

BuckHole wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:My roll is continuing, bought up 2500 shares of TTNP and it has gone up 14 cents since I did and continues to climb. Lets go!

I know some of you likely hate penny stocks but this company has a legit chance at making a jump. https://financialstrend.com/national-institute-on-drug-abuse-awards-a-grant-of-6-7-million-to-titan-pharmaceuticals-inc-nasdaqttnp-47089.html

No, its not. But everything looks solid with the stock, no bad news. I did however sell off at .58 cents and made a nice profit and bought back in at .39, its fallen a bit more but I'm hoping a big company buys them out or it just jumps up again.
#FreeChuckDiesel
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1032 » by M-C-G » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
BuckHole wrote:

No, its not. But everything looks solid with the stock, no bad news. I did however sell off at .58 cents and made a nice profit and bought back in at .39, its fallen a bit more but I'm hoping a big company buys them out or it just jumps up again.

I put a small amount in a penny stock, like 200 bucks. It opened my eyes to how much the market is manipulated by people buying short, I still don't understand the how it is manipulated, but they are.

Price goes up on wild 20% swings up, then the bottom falls out. Good news, price doesn't go up, good financials, price doesn't go up, bad news, the price doesn't go down in the midst of the manipulation. It's like nothing matters other than what some algorithms in the background are doing buying and selling. It's a terrible ride to be on, but I think if you can figure it out, you can ride the wave at the right time.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1033 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:37 am

Music producer DJ Khaled and boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. were charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission Thursday with promoting investments in initial cryptocurrency coin offerings without revealing that they’d been paid.

The SEC has said that cryptocurrency coins sold in initial coin offerings may be considered securities and subject to federal securities laws.

Both Khaled and Mayweather settled with the SEC and agreed not to promote any securities, even digital ones, for two years and three years, respectively. They also agreed to give back the money they’d received to the SEC and pay penalties with interest.

Mayweather failed to disclose that he’d received $300,000 from three different ICO issuers, including $100,000 from Centra Tech. Khaled failed to disclose a payment of $50,000 from the same company.

Centra has separately been charged by the SEC, which alleged that its ICO was fraudulent.

Centra could not immediately be reached for comment.

Both Mayweather and Khaled promoted Centra’s ICO on their social media accounts. Khaled called it a “game changer” while Mayweather encouraged his followers to get in on the ICO, saying he’d taken part.

Mayweather also commented on another ICO, saying he was going to make a lot of money.

“You can call me Floyd Crypto Mayweather from now on,” he tweeted.

The SEC, which has made it clear that ICOs can be fraudulent, encourages would-be investors to be wary or avoid those ICOs that are endorsed by celebrities.

“With no disclosure about the payments, Mayweather and Khaled’s ICO promotions may have appeared to be unbiased, rather than paid endorsements,”

“Social media influencers are often paid promoters, not investment professionals, and the securities they’re touting, regardless of whether they are issued using traditional certificates or on the blockchain, could be frauds,” said Steven Peikin, the SEC’s enforcement division co-director.

This is the first time the SEC has brought charges against individuals for promoting ICOs and the investigation is ongoing.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1034 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I've been toying with the idea of moving a portion of retirement funds from traditional index to an equal weight index. Has anyone else done this? Theory is that the traditional weighted index funds invest too heavily in the biggest companies. Equal weight invests in whatever companies comprise an index equally so the small companies (and better value plays) get as much as the big companies. I've done a bit of research on it and the principle behind it seems sound.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1035 » by M-C-G » Sat Dec 1, 2018 1:57 am

ackypoo wrote:i bought a bunch of gold and inverse etfs about...3 weeks ago. but even that stuff hastn been doing great. either way, itll be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

So you have touted the demise of the economy and I am seeing indicators, rather I have heard people discuss indicators such as the home market looking very cool in some leading indicator cities, but I am curious of what data you are looking at to make your determination. This sounds kind of like a leading question but it is an honest one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#1036 » by ackypoo » Sat Dec 1, 2018 2:08 am

M-C-G wrote:
ackypoo wrote:i bought a bunch of gold and inverse etfs about...3 weeks ago. but even that stuff hastn been doing great. either way, itll be like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

So you have touted the demise of the economy and I am seeing indicators, rather I have heard people discuss indicators such as the home market looking very cool in some leading indicator cities, but I am curious of what data you are looking at to make your determination. This sounds kind of like a leading question but it is an honest one.

dont have any data.

basing it off my historical knowledge of the market but its not something i can express in words.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1037 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Dec 1, 2018 2:17 am

Historically of course there will be a downturn/correction and bear market. It always happens. People have been predicting it for a long time and yes at some point they'll be "right".
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1038 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Dec 1, 2018 5:43 am

ackypoo wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

dont have any data.

basing it off my historical knowledge of the market but its not something i can express in words.

M-C-G
RealGM

Post#1039 » by M-C-G » Sat Dec 1, 2018 8:26 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Historically of course there will be a downturn/correction and bear market. It always happens. People have been predicting it for a long time and yes at some point they'll be "right".

I’m specifically curious because of these leading indicators in housing that I heard a you tuber has been tracking. And apparently the last 7 months or something like that have been showing every indication of recession but the stock market hasn’t realized it yet. Then you have the Fed talking about raising rates again on top of that, seems like a recipe for disaster but I know that I am in way over my head on this topic.

I can’t wrap my head around record employment, industry coming back to the US, etc and somehow we are set for recession according to some. I don’t know, I don’t get it. I know the company I work for that sells a lot to factories is booming and our outlook is very good for next year. Just having trouble making sense of it.

sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,946

Post#1040 » by sidney lanier » Mon Dec 3, 2018 3:23 pm

There sure are some bitcoin pessimists out there, like this guy.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-is-close-to-becoming-worthless-2018-12-03

So, it appears bitcoin is now entering a death spiral: If the price continues to drop and the cost of mining does not fall correspondingly (the cost of mining will algorithmically decrease, but not necessarily to same extent as the decline in prices), bitcoin will quickly go to zero.

Bitcoin proponents will argue that bitcoin’s price has dropped by large percentages before. Except this most recent decline is different in three significant ways. First, the magnitude of the recent decline dwarfs the magnitudes of past declines. Second, the losers in the recent decline are new investors who will likely retreat until there is more clarity around bitcoin’s use cases. Third, the futures markets have changed the game, enabling miners to estimate their mining losses and profits at the outset — if you can buy in a futures market at a price below my mining costs, why mine for a sure loss?

A lot of people seem eager to fling an I-told-you-so or two at bitcoin fans. But bitcoin is so different from other things I'm not sure the standard boom-bust just-like-tulip-bulbs analysis holds.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings

Return to Milwaukee Bucks