HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,588

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1121 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 am

bizarro wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
bizarro wrote:
Serious ? From a vantage point of ‘I want you to crush’...

Your website. Has a nice facade, but functionality? What’s going on. There’s no depth. I click key menu items and it goes to one pic or ‘404’ errors.

I had no issues.

Maybe it’s Tablet/IPad related? Anyhow, just trying to help. Really.

Maybe. I'm on Chrome.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 963

Post#1122 » by vegaspacker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:31 am

Penny stocks? What app is the best to buy pennies with, a guy i know has been harping on buying a particular.
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#1123 » by BuckHole » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:55 pm

vegaspacker wrote:Penny stocks? What app is the best to buy pennies with, a guy i know has been harping on buying a particular.

I use Robinhood. It works well for me. You can set up orders to buy/sell at a stock price. I’ve mostly unsuccessfully focused on penny stocks as well with a few hundred $. Now I’m sitting on LODE with the hopes of cashing out at anything above $.25/share. There’s a Reddit Robinhood penny stock chat where users discuss stocks; I haven’t had much success with it. I find I’m often too late to the party to make any real money. I’ve heard the phrase “buy the rumor, sell the news,” perhaps this when looking at upcoming earning reports.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#1124 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:07 am

LUKE23 wrote:I'm looking to get into investing, and know almost nothing. Any experienced people have a good place to start?

Read all the stuff that you can get your hands on for Warren Buffett. He's a great starting point. There's a book out there literally detailing events that happen to Berkshire from the beginning to now and his approach and rationale to every decisions. Read all of them once. Ask people questions. Read all of them again. I personally think that your foundation needs to be built on credible solid knowledge and facts in order to sustain above market gain year after year.

Afterward, you need to find your niche market that you have masterful knowledge of. It could be healthcare, construction, commodity, real estate, retail, etc... The bottom line is that you must have superior expertise of the field and understand the historical valuation of different assets in that class. It's perfectly fine if you don't know something, but don't be an idiot who pretends to know stuff and acts like you know it. That's when you lose money. Unlike the media emphasis on diversification, my approach is to accumulate and take massive positions in things that I feel and know very strongly about, and watch it skyrocket within my 5-10 years time frame and take profit on my set valuations. I never get flustered about my position initially dropping 10-20% bc I have deep conviction about the sustainment of the business for the next 10 years, and know the historical valuation of diff names in the asset class.

Lastly, don't be an idiot and day trade. Feel free to ask any question.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#1125 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:10 am

M-C-G wrote:
BuckHole wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Gold at $1279/oz on 12/26/18. Let’s watch how high it’ll get.

Gold took a nice jump up today. It’s at $1391/oz on 5/20/19.

I have a few silver and gold plays that have been pretty solid albeit unspectacular.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't buy this whole Peter Schiff nonsense about gold and silver. The guy has been wrong since 2009. But, I do own WPM as my gold/silver play in my Roth accounts. I personally think that you are going to make tons of money in the upcoming blockchain technology, and I'm not talking about bitcoin.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,417

Post#1126 » by th87 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:05 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Gold took a nice jump up today. It’s at $1391/oz on 5/20/19.

I have a few silver and gold plays that have been pretty solid albeit unspectacular.

I really don't buy this whole Peter Schiff nonsense about gold and silver. The guy has been wrong since 2009. But, I do own WPM as my gold/silver play in my Roth accounts. I personally think that you are going to make tons of money in the upcoming blockchain technology, and I'm not talking about bitcoin.

Any ideas on what to study as it relates to blockchain?
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#1127 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:19 am

th87 wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I’m not claiming to be an expert, and anyone who claims to be an expert outside of a blockchain programmer is lying to you. Any programmer who has any exposure to a blockchain project can get a 250-300K a year job w/ FANG and other big techs and bypass the whole multi days of tests and interviews that are the norms for these gigs. That’s how new this whole blockchain tech is.

Honestly, I thought the entire space is a scam until Bitcoin rigorously rebounds from its low. That’s not the action of a bubble full of scam price movement from my years studying bubbles and crashes.

As far as studying the language for blockchain, you would get better answers for that from some guys on reddit.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,417

Post#1128 » by th87 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:28 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
th87 wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

I’m not claiming to be an expert, and anyone who claims to be an expert outside of a blockchain programmer is lying to you. Any programmer who has any exposure to a blockchain project can get a 250-300K a year job w/ FANG and other big techs and bypass the whole multi days of tests and interviews that are the norms for these gigs. That’s how new this whole blockchain tech is.

Honestly, I thought the entire space is a scam until Bitcoin rigorously rebounds from its low. That’s not the action of a bubble full of scam price movement from my years studying bubbles and crashes.

As far as studying the language for blockchain, you would get better answers for that from some guys on reddit.

Thanks. I don't think I'd be able to get too far into the technical aspects of it. Do you mean new upcoming cryptocurrencies will be good long term plays?
MeloRoseNoah
Starter

Post#1129 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:35 am

th87 wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:
th87 wrote:

Thanks. I don't think I'd be able to get too far into the technical aspects of it. Do you mean new upcoming cryptocurrencies will be good long term plays?

There’s a diff bet crypto currencies vs blockchain technology. There’s a movement currently to build a platform utilizing blockchain tech that will digitalize everything. I’ll let you do the research and find out who is doing this. But in my opinion, that group is this era equivalent of Bills Gates and his friends. You will make a crap ton of money if you put money with these guys. Investing with them is available to us Joes and not limited to private equity.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#1130 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:20 pm

Now that many firms are going with no commission trades it will be interesting to see what happens with Robinhood
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1131 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:30 pm

Bump

Anyone heard of Fundrise? It's a way for normal Joes to invest in private real estate. Pool money, Funrise buys an apartment complex or some other venture and then you get a dividend. Seems legit way to invest in RE without actually buying the physical building. It's not a REIT. The main difference between a Fundrise investment and a REIT investment is that with Fundrise you are investing directly into tangible commercial real estate whereas with a REIT you are investing in a corporation that in turn invests your money into real estate. It's like crowdfunding a real estate purchase but someone else manages the property for you.

I'm just researching this at the moment and I'm sure there's downside (e.g. liquidity, fees, etc.). But looks like a promising way to diversify.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#1132 » by midranger » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:35 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Bump

Anyone heard of Fundrise? It's a way for normal Joes to invest in private real estate. Pool money, Funrise buys an apartment complex or some other venture and then you get a dividend. Seems legit way to invest in RE without actually buying the physical building. It's not a REIT. The main difference between a Fundrise investment and a REIT investment is that with Fundrise you are investing directly into tangible commercial real estate whereas with a REIT you are investing in a corporation that in turn invests your money into real estate. It's like crowdfunding a real estate purchase.

I'm just researching this at the moment and I'm sure there's downside (e.g. liquidity, fees, etc.). But looks like a promising way to diversify.

There’s a bunch of platforms to do this on. Some are debt deals, some are equity. Not sure what platform is the best, but Fundrise is a bigger one. I am evaluating roofstock as another. You can buy entire houses or shares of properties.

In addition to liquidity and fees as you mention, you’d have to file state income tax wherever the owner property is located.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#1133 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Jan 5, 2020 9:20 pm

Anyone heard of Fundrise? It's a way for normal Joes to invest in private real estate. Pool money, Funrise buys an apartment complex or some other venture and then you get a dividend. Seems legit way to invest in RE without actually buying the physical building. It's not a REIT. The main difference between a Fundrise investment and a REIT investment is that with Fundrise you are investing directly into tangible commercial real estate whereas with a REIT you are investing in a corporation that in turn invests your money into real estate. It's like crowdfunding a real estate purchase but someone else manages the property for you.

My main question on a platform like this is why are they going crowdsourcing? Guessing it is filled with lots of riskier investments that don't get banks or other investors.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,910

Post#1134 » by sidney lanier » Mon Jan 6, 2020 4:45 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

My main question on a platform like this is why are they going crowdsourcing? Guessing it is filled with lots of riskier investments that don't get banks or other investors.

I’m always skeptical about investments that offer us little guys a chance to swim with the whales. Maybe it’s on the level, but why they invite small investors in is the right question. Nerdwallet’s review questions the liquidity of these vehicles and what happens in the event of a downturn.

Maybe dip your toe in with fun money, but I wouldn’t see this as a major part of a small investor’s portfolio.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,885

Post#1135 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jan 6, 2020 9:44 pm

What are we investing in these days? One of my good friends keeps pushing Exact Sciences.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1136 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:38 pm

midranger wrote:

Anyone heard of Fundrise? It's a way for normal Joes to invest in private real estate. Pool money, Funrise buys an apartment complex or some other venture and then you get a dividend. Seems legit way to invest in RE without actually buying the physical building. It's not a REIT. The main difference between a Fundrise investment and a REIT investment is that with Fundrise you are investing directly into tangible commercial real estate whereas with a REIT you are investing in a corporation that in turn invests your money into real estate. It's like crowdfunding a real estate purchase.

There’s a bunch of platforms to do this on. Some are debt deals, some are equity. Not sure what platform is the best, but Fundrise is a bigger one. I am evaluating roofstock as another. You can buy entire houses or shares of properties.

In addition to liquidity and fees as you mention, you’d have to file state income tax wherever the owner property is located.

I skim roofstock once every 2-3 months. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1137 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 6, 2020 11:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:What are we investing in these days? One of my good friends keeps pushing Exact Sciences.

Index funds for me. I've been in them for 10 years now and they haven't steered me wrong yet. 8-)

I still throw a little money occasionally into BTC. No sh*tcoins for me. It's less than 5% of my investments but I'm still a believer and bullish in the long-term.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#1138 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Jan 7, 2020 3:51 pm

Quarterly Old Man Yelling at the Sky Reminder: If you haven't maxed out your tax advantaged accounts and mostly in index funds, you shouldn't be messing around with any of these app based investment tools (unless it is purely for entertainment value).
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1139 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:What are we investing in these days? One of my good friends keeps pushing Exact Sciences.

Index funds for me. I've been in them for 10 years now and they haven't steered me wrong yet. 8-)

I still throw a little money occasionally into BTC. No sh*tcoins for me. It's less than 5% of my investments but I'm still a believer and bullish in the long-term.

Considering we are in an 11 year bull run that is not surprising :)
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#1140 » by Whiteman » Tue Jan 7, 2020 4:24 pm

So this is the year my altcoins will make me rich, right?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks