ImageImage

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
JEIS
Analyst
Posts: 3,621
And1: 1,848
Joined: Jul 05, 2006

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1781 » by JEIS » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:27 pm

jschligs wrote:
JEIS wrote:
th87 wrote:
Shout out for the HYSR recommendation. Thank you!


All good Bro. Let's all make that money.


I've enjoyed your DD and TA on recent stocks, any others you're liking in coming months?



I don't know in the coming months, but There are a few companies that I think will do well if and when they go public. Footprint- A green company that has some pretty nice patents. They are working with some of the big boy in the food a beverage industry to have products that are better for commercial food industry and other industries.

Vertical farming companies.. Basically indoor farms.. No GMOs no pesticides... The millenials generation eats this stuff up, rightfully so... Keep cancer at bay... live longer, feed your loved ones better. Aerofarms, Plenty and Bowery Farms..

Plenty has backing from Benzo, so that can be good and bad. He is like Lex Luthor taking over the world.
Anti big business folks may revolt like they do with Walmart against Benzo. Heck Even Tesla supporter. Musk vs Benzo with the space stuff. But Benzo has the shipping in place.. Home delivery foods is quickly becoming a thing. there is a company called imperfect produce and even farms like Oberweis deliver food to homes.. Target does as well as most stores now. The biggest difference between these companies is the food is usually meh quality... If you can get organic non GMOs herbicide free, pesticide free food at a reasonable price, Who wouldn't prefer that? The vertical farms use a lot less water as well... Resource concervation.

Some of the casinos and draft kings and those type of stocks will be, and already have started to boom with legalized sports betting..

Crispr- Umm. They are playing god... Gene splicing/ I think they may be able to delete detect gene mutations. Prevent certain illnesses. Watch the movie Gattaca.. That could be our future.

The ones I threw out there in my initial posts, Were severely undervalued.. and have a great product or patents. Fuel Cell iEnergy s still my long hold. That I believe will be $5 sooner than later. Hysr blew up quick! and so did Nikola.. The Rona virus is kind of a wild card.

Vistagen VTGN is another penny stock I have a decent amount of shares in. They have a social anxiety nasal spray that they are working on. I feel pretty confident in that stock as well. Some would feel better with a nasal spray than a pill.. It has less of a stigma.

If I find or think of any others, I will let my fellow Real GM Brethren know.

AI stuff. MARK.. BlockChain. IBM Virtual reality stocks/video games People often hate their lives.When the graphics become realistic enough, that will likely take place of our lives... If you have ever been to disney and been on avatar flight of the passage you will know what I mean.

Oh yeah.. I would invest in disney as well.. Once the Marvel stuff hits disney plus, they will likely go up a bit, parks reopen in July, Sports will be back and they own a ton of stuff.. Marvel movies coming back out again. Pent up demand.


As far as entry points, That is harder to determine... Maybe put some money aside or at least in your account ready to go, to pounce on a good deal as they come... There is a chance a lot of stocks fall when the quarterly numbers come out.
User avatar
HaroldinGMinor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,332
And1: 3,641
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
       

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1782 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Quick question:

What does it say about a stock when it goes up significantly on down/neutral days, and goes down significantly on days the market is way up? Zoom and DraftKings both seem to follow this model.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
M-C-G
RealGM
Posts: 19,211
And1: 7,275
Joined: Jan 13, 2013
     

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1783 » by M-C-G » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:25 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Quick question:

What does it say about a stock when it goes up significantly on down/neutral days, and goes down significantly on days the market is way up? Zoom and DraftKings both seem to follow this model.


I suspect institutional movement is planned and word spreads. The other options are short movement or worse, that there exist a sizable black market network of insider trading that your average Joe will never know about.
User avatar
engelmartin
Analyst
Posts: 3,061
And1: 1,235
Joined: Jun 03, 2013
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1784 » by engelmartin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Nerdy, convoluted, slightly political post, so I used spoilers.
Spoiler:
Probably a good time to buy tobacco stocks. Tobacco companies are basically going to be the only companies that can afford to sell vaping products after September 9th because of exorbitant fees for regulation. Even if vaping is eventually made illegal it'll be a win win for them. Philip Morris owns Juul, RJ Reynolds owns Vuse, Imperial Tobacco owns Blu, etc.

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. District Court granted the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) request for an extension of the premarket review submission deadline for certain tobacco products. Applications are now required to be filed by Sept. 9, 2020 for many e-cigarettes, cigars and other deemed tobacco products."
https://cstoredecisions.com/2020/05/05/court-of-appeals-upholds-september-pmta-deadline/

The Pre-Market Tobacco Applications that manufacturers have to file are going to cost a ridiculous amount per each individual SKU, so even if vaping is never made federally illegal it'll still put all the smaller manufacturers out of business:
"It’s estimated that each PMTA will cost $117,000 to $466,000... For many businesses, this is an insurmountable hurdle and they will undoubtedly have to close up shop. The actual cost might also be even higher than this, depending on the amount of original research and analysis is needed to support the application."

https://www.blacknote.com/what-is-a-pmta-a-simple-explanation-of-how-it-will-affect-vapers/

Image
Baddy Chuck wrote:
The idea that Thon would have the coordination to jump around on trampolines while playing basketball is lost on me.
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1785 » by Stannis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:58 pm

Anyone an investor in Enphase Energy? They are a leader in microinverters for solar panels, behind SolarEdge. But they took a 25% drop today because they are under investigation by some firms for fraud.

I can't decide if this is legit or if this is a opportunity.
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
jschligs
Analyst
Posts: 3,667
And1: 1,976
Joined: Jul 20, 2016
     

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1786 » by jschligs » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Stannis wrote:Anyone an investor in Enphase Energy? They are a leader in microinverters for solar panels, behind SolarEdge. But they took a 25% drop today because they are under investigation by some firms for fraud.

I can't decide if this is legit or if this is a opportunity.


Seemed to bounce quickly mainly because of the sudden drop. A lot of folks were playing EPHN, there was a short seller report that called them out for falsifying revenue, but JP Morgan came back and defended them and called it a buy opportunity. Would've been a good chance to make a quick buck but I prefer to avoid some of the more "meme stocks" as kids are calling them these days. Things like Hertz, Luckin Coffee, etc. just aren't smart investments in my opinion.

On another note, not going to lie, Robinhood traders are market movers. We saw RH go down yesterday and markets immediately dipped. As soon as it was back the dip erased. Places like r/wallstreetbets and even Barstool's Dave Portnoy (Davey Day Trader Global - actually pretty hilarious) are causing the market to act in such odd ways. It's been fun to watch.
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1787 » by Stannis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:19 pm

jschligs wrote:
Seemed to bounce quickly mainly because of the sudden drop. A lot of folks were playing EPHN, there was a short seller report that called them out for falsifying revenue, but JP Morgan came back and defended them and called it a buy opportunity. Would've been a good chance to make a quick buck but I prefer to avoid some of the more "meme stocks" as kids are calling them these days. Things like Hertz, Luckin Coffee, etc. just aren't smart investments in my opinion.

Yea, I didn't have the stones to double down. But I didn't sell either. So I can't be mad at myself. I just added a few more shares. Once it gets on the news, it's too late.

I don't think Enphase is a meme stock. Definitely not like Hertz and Luckin. They basically have a duopoly with SolarEdge on solar-panel microinverters

They made a pretty good partnership with SunPower which that short report completely missed.

Getting into political territory here so I'm going to put it in spoilers:

Spoiler:
I think Solar/renewable energy stocks will see a big jump if Biden and other democrats wins the election. These names were already getting pretty high when it looked like Sanders or Warren were winning. I know Biden isn't Sanders/Warren, but he's still partnering with AOC so green initiatives are on the forefront.
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
machu46
Head Coach
Posts: 6,808
And1: 1,783
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: DC
       

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1788 » by machu46 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Can't say much about Enphase in terms of the stock, but we currently lease some solar panels from them at our house.

On an aside, this year has been very kind to me so far...beating the S&P 500 by over 30% YTD.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
User avatar
jschligs
Analyst
Posts: 3,667
And1: 1,976
Joined: Jul 20, 2016
     

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1789 » by jschligs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:27 pm

machu46 wrote:Can't say much about Enphase in terms of the stock, but we currently lease some solar panels from them at our house.

On an aside, this year has been very kind to me so far...beating the S&P 500 by over 30% YTD.


I was incredibly bearish after the initial recovery (still am, but not trading that way) and lost a decent amount of my investing "fun" money. The last month I'm up 93% almost exclusively on MSFT calls.
User avatar
Nowak008
RealGM
Posts: 14,418
And1: 4,077
Joined: Jul 07, 2006
Location: Waiting for PP at The Hague
Contact:

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1790 » by Nowak008 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:56 pm

Short FB stock imo
Image
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters


THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1791 » by Stannis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:12 pm

engelmartin wrote:Nerdy, convoluted, slightly political post, so I used spoilers.
Spoiler:
Probably a good time to buy tobacco stocks. Tobacco companies are basically going to be the only companies that can afford to sell vaping products after September 9th because of exorbitant fees for regulation. Even if vaping is eventually made illegal it'll be a win win for them. Philip Morris owns Juul, RJ Reynolds owns Vuse, Imperial Tobacco owns Blu, etc.

"Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. District Court granted the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) request for an extension of the premarket review submission deadline for certain tobacco products. Applications are now required to be filed by Sept. 9, 2020 for many e-cigarettes, cigars and other deemed tobacco products."
https://cstoredecisions.com/2020/05/05/court-of-appeals-upholds-september-pmta-deadline/

The Pre-Market Tobacco Applications that manufacturers have to file are going to cost a ridiculous amount per each individual SKU, so even if vaping is never made federally illegal it'll still put all the smaller manufacturers out of business:
"It’s estimated that each PMTA will cost $117,000 to $466,000... For many businesses, this is an insurmountable hurdle and they will undoubtedly have to close up shop. The actual cost might also be even higher than this, depending on the amount of original research and analysis is needed to support the application."

https://www.blacknote.com/what-is-a-pmta-a-simple-explanation-of-how-it-will-affect-vapers/

Image


Any big tobacco companies you think are good for vapes AND weed?

I was thinking Phillip Morris but they don't seem to have plans getting into the cannabis industry.

What are you thoughts on British American Tobacco btw?
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1792 » by Stannis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm

jschligs wrote:I was incredibly bearish after the initial recovery (still am, but not trading that way) and lost a decent amount of my investing "fun" money. The last month I'm up 93% almost exclusively on MSFT calls.

You seem pretty knowledgeable in options.

Any resources you would recommend to learn options?

I got approved for Level 3 option trading at Merrill, which gives me the ability to do more complex option like put writing, long equities, etc.

Do you just stick with standard calls/puts?

I haven't messed with them yet. It seems a lot easier to learn how they work than actually doing one. The estimated max loses on my order previews always scare me. :lol:
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1793 » by Stannis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Any tips on when to sell when certain stocks go up so fast?

I'm still a new investor. I was buying for long term gains. But I got some stocks that I'm already up 100%+ in just 6 months. These include names like DocuSign, Sea Limited, Etsy, and Okta. Obviously these names benefited from the pandemic. I think they are all richly valued. But I still think they have a lot of room to grow.
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
BucksFanSD
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,769
And1: 531
Joined: Jun 28, 2012

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1794 » by BucksFanSD » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:05 pm

With the number of cases rising I'm on the sidelines again. If I miss out so be it.
User avatar
jschligs
Analyst
Posts: 3,667
And1: 1,976
Joined: Jul 20, 2016
     

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1795 » by jschligs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:39 pm

Stannis wrote:
jschligs wrote:I was incredibly bearish after the initial recovery (still am, but not trading that way) and lost a decent amount of my investing "fun" money. The last month I'm up 93% almost exclusively on MSFT calls.

You seem pretty knowledgeable in options.

Any resources you would recommend to learn options?

I got approved for Level 3 option trading at Merrill, which gives me the ability to do more complex option like put writing, long equities, etc.

Do you just stick with standard calls/puts?

I haven't messed with them yet. It seems a lot easier to learn how they work than actually doing one. The estimated max loses on my order previews always scare me. :lol:


Investopedia has some very basic teachings on options. It's a good place to start. Otherwise TD Ameritrade's website/ThinkorSwim app has a ton of educational resources. Learn what the different options are, and learning what affects the premium of an option is priority number one IMO. Stock price, time to expiration, implied volatility, etc. If you want to be good at options, learn those and the greeks (delta, theta, gamma, vega) or you will get crushed.

I mostly stick to standard long calls/puts, but there are so many you can do. You can buy options as well as sell them. I don't do too much selling. Then there are straddles, strangles, etc. All that comes with time and experience. I'd stick to the easier ones for the first bit.

My advice for options is pretty simple, start small after doing your initial education. Find a $5-10 high volume stock (I think I started with Ford) and do some further expiration options. If you'd rather not do actual money, ThinkOrSwim has paper money that you can trade with to get your feet wet. As you begin to learn and understand how they function, you'll start to get more confident and can make some bigger moves, learn how to hedge, etc. Options are close to gambling, much riskier than just purchasing shares themselves, which of course, makes the potential return much higher. You can also exercise your options, which I never do, as you need to have the capital to buy 100 shares of whatever stock you have an option on. I always just sell the option when I want to get out as opposed to exercising it.

Another piece of advice, is you do need to be strong with your plays as the value of option can fluctuate big time based on the factors above. I've bought a few that were -80% within a couple of days, held firm, and eventually made 20% or more on them. However, I've also had options expire worthless which hurts, but I was well aware of the possibility.

Most of my portfolio is in long term stocks, but nothing gets the blood flowing more than playing options haha. And as always, never put in what you can't handle losing. Most of this is rambling, but I hope it helps. Feel free to PM me or message back if you have any other questions. I'm no expert, but I feel confident in what I'm doing.
User avatar
engelmartin
Analyst
Posts: 3,061
And1: 1,235
Joined: Jun 03, 2013
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1796 » by engelmartin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:52 pm

Stannis wrote:
Any big tobacco companies you think are good for vapes AND weed?

I was thinking Phillip Morris but they don't seem to have plans getting into the cannabis industry.

What are you thoughts on British American Tobacco btw?

British American looks like a good longterm buy, but I'm not all that familiar. Personally I'll just stick with Altria since they've got the most to gain considering they already control the market with JUUL.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
The idea that Thon would have the coordination to jump around on trampolines while playing basketball is lost on me.
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1797 » by Stannis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 pm

engelmartin wrote:Personally I'll just stick with Altria since they've got the most to gain considering they already control the market with JUUL.

I always get Altria and Phillip Morris confused. So do they both own the rights to sell JUUL?
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!
User avatar
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 26,998
And1: 9,678
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1798 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:38 pm

jschligs wrote:
Stannis wrote:
jschligs wrote:I was incredibly bearish after the initial recovery (still am, but not trading that way) and lost a decent amount of my investing "fun" money. The last month I'm up 93% almost exclusively on MSFT calls.

You seem pretty knowledgeable in options.

Any resources you would recommend to learn options?

I got approved for Level 3 option trading at Merrill, which gives me the ability to do more complex option like put writing, long equities, etc.

Do you just stick with standard calls/puts?

I haven't messed with them yet. It seems a lot easier to learn how they work than actually doing one. The estimated max loses on my order previews always scare me. :lol:


Investopedia has some very basic teachings on options. It's a good place to start. Otherwise TD Ameritrade's website/ThinkorSwim app has a ton of educational resources. Learn what the different options are, and learning what affects the premium of an option is priority number one IMO. Stock price, time to expiration, implied volatility, etc. If you want to be good at options, learn those and the greeks (delta, theta, gamma, vega) or you will get crushed.


I'd also suggest Khan Academy. They have free videos that walk through different investment options and how they work. They were super helpful for me.
GiannisAnte34
Pro Prospect
Posts: 922
And1: 544
Joined: Jun 19, 2019
 

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1799 » by GiannisAnte34 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:52 am

can anyone advise a good brokerage account that you can purchase penny stocks on?

I want to buy TPTW
User avatar
Stannis
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 11,705
And1: 4,603
Joined: Dec 05, 2011
Location: United States of Space
         

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#1800 » by Stannis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:14 am

GiannisAnte34 wrote:can anyone advise a good brokerage account that you can purchase penny stocks on?

I want to buy TPTW

I use Fidelity for my Pink penny stocks.

No fees.

Their interface looks a little outdated. But they have the lowest fees as far as I know.

I know TDAmeritrade is no/low fees as well, and you can do pink penny stocks. But I have no experience with them.

Sounds like you really want to hop on this stock.. tbh, Fidelity wasn't the fastest to setup if I remember correctly. So it might take like 3-4 days for you to finally get things going. You have to make your account, wait for approval, transfer some money over, and call them to be approved for pink slip stocks and I think penny stocks as well.

On the bright side, once you get it all done, you should be ready for the next pink penny stock.

Why TPTW btw?
Retired: 05/10/2020

Goodbye RealGM. Thanks for the Memories!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks