MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Re: OT: Investing 

Post#81 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 am

NomNomNomParker wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
skones wrote:
Agree. My company matches up to 11% and I take full advantage, but I realize that's mostly unheard of.

Wow that's great. My company is 4% match and you're immediately vested which is great but not 11% great.

I think the 401k is great for anyone who doesn't play the market, but I can get MUCH larger gains investing that into my TD account and playing the market myself. Yes, there is risk, but it's risk I'm willing to accept for the ability to make large amounts of usable income extremely quick.

How long have you done this? What's your yearly gains including trading fees?

I'm a firm believer that you have a 50/50 chance of beating the market. The market adjusts so fast now I think you are just lucky if you have an extended run. Actively managed accounts do worse than index funds (mostly due to management fees) and these are guys who do it for a living.

Do you have a strategy that seems to have worked? I do agree of shifting Bad 401k accounts to an IRA with Vanguard or someone with low fee index funds.
bucksfansince88
Analyst
And1: 1,777

Post#82 » by bucksfansince88 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:50 am

I need to become friends with a lot of you guys!
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#83 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:57 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
NomNomNomParker wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Wow that's great. My company is 4% match and you're immediately vested which is great but not 11% great.

I think the 401k is great for anyone who doesn't play the market, but I can get MUCH larger gains investing that into my TD account and playing the market myself. Yes, there is risk, but it's risk I'm willing to accept for the ability to make large amounts of usable income extremely quick.

How long have you done this? What's your yearly gains including trading fees?

I'm a firm believer that you have a 50/50 chance of beating the market. The market adjusts so fast now I think you are just lucky if you have an extended run. Actively managed accounts do worse than index funds (mostly due to management fees) and these are guys who do it for a living.

Do you have a strategy that seems to have worked? I do agree of shifting Bad 401k accounts to an IRA with Vanguard or someone with low fee index funds.

My 401K is in a Fidelity index fund for what it's worth. People can do what they want with their money but when a 401K is invested pre-tax and there's a company match, your gains better be ridiculous on a regular basis to beat that.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#84 » by Lippo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 am

should always have 401k up to companies match for a safe investment IMO,

but skip a vacation and invest that 3-5k in e-currency and thank me later...
my nephews had 300 bitcoin years ago, and sold it for 40 each to buy an eclipse and a gaming rig(at 16-17 years old, lol), today that would be 5.5+ mil,
god i couldnt take the regret, but at least he has it back to 6 figures by age 22 and lives as a day trader in a downtown loft.
milwaukee bunks
Senior
And1: 434

Post#85 » by milwaukee bunks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:08 am

Lippo wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:why do people act like bitcoin isnt a pyramid scheme?

lol its not at all

Bitconnect is

but bitcoin is a currency...you can pay your mortgage with in now, 401k;s, buy trips on expedia, get with the times...

agreed, there are plenty of places that accept it as currency where you can spend it the same day you make it, anyone not taking advantage of it is missing out. also advise checking out short-term p2p loans with btc, very good returns.
milwaukee bunks
Senior

Post#86 » by milwaukee bunks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:18 am

Lippo wrote:
milwaukee bunks wrote:
Lippo wrote:
about 1/2 that, might get 0.5 bitcoin a year, but that coin might be worth 30-50k in 12 months
8 x 1070 gtx rig costsbaround 4k, 1500-1600 electricity in a year maybe
$20-25/day not counting value increases.

you should be getting a better return than $25 on 8 1070s, and that should cost about $10-$12 a month at 0.09 kw/h

?? thats per card yeah 80-100 + drives and cpu /mo, i have meter....
i just have 2 1070's but they are about $35 a month total electricity, we pay .1311 here in milwaukee
i make maybe $85-$90 ($120 - $35) a month profit, just have my sli'd gaming computer during downtime,
nicehash winminer here 2-3/day per card + a bit for cpu
to lazy to do my own research and d/l algorithms.

I'm running about 35 1070s right now, 15 more on the way this week. I only run 5 per setup as I find it more stable and I am not using any 3rd party miners but mining to pools myself as I tend to get better hash rate this way. I feel most managed ones skim some for themselves. Each setup costs me about $12 a month in electricity to run using platinum server psu's at 50% load and overclocking/undervolting my cards. I am paying a lot less for juice than you are over here in Green Bay though. Each 5 card setup is generating close to $30 per day the way I am running and the current status of alt coins.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#87 » by ReginaldDwight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 am

Lippo wrote:should always have 401k up to companies match for a safe investment IMO,

but skip a vacation and invest that 3-5k in e-currency and thank me later...
my nephews had 300 bitcoin years ago, and sold it for 40 each to buy an eclipse and a gaming rig(at 16-17 years old, lol), today that would be 5.5+ mil,
god i couldnt take the regret, but at least he has it back to 6 figures by age 22 and lives as a day trader in a downtown loft.

Those early transactions made Bitcoin what it is. If everyone sat on it and never proved it had actual value it would be worth a **** today. Have read some things about it possibly one day breaking the half a million per bitcoin level. I dont know enough about it to say whether thats realistic but it should be interesting to see where it goes from here on out. The real issue longterm is really the energy sink that these coins require, wont be long till the government works its fingers in there.
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#88 » by Triple 7 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:37 am

The Rodzilla wrote:why do people act like bitcoin isnt a pyramid scheme?

Can you explain in detail how it is a pyramid scheme?
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#89 » by engelmartin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:47 am

I always knew that this group of guys that I hang out with on this board must have been super smart and succesful. One of the smartest boards on RealGM. Do I sound like a raptors fan?
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

OT: Investing 

Post#90 » by BuckHole » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 am

I need a primer in this. It’s really hard to wrap my old brain around (I don’t understand how the stock market works, sheesh). I need to watch some videos on the basics. Who wouldn’t throw a $1,000 at it and see where it takes you? However, I don’t know where to buy it or which to buy. Also, the wallet thing is confusing as hell. I realize I don’t have physical coins and i think it’s just a code that I store in a word document or written on a scrap of paper stored in a safe. How wrong am I?
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#91 » by midranger » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:56 am

paulpressey25 wrote:The fact RealGM now has a stock and bitcoin thread tells me we've officially reached the market peak.

In the words of Billy Ray and Winthrop, sell, sell, sell.

Truer words never written here.

I was more looking for what traditional asset classes people are looking to buy/avoid in 2018, rather than discuss the merits of cyber currency during an unsustainable run up. Everyone feels like a genius right now, but the bottom will feel just as bad.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,098

Post#92 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:01 am

What's something I can invest in with a super high risk/reward? My goal is to eventually own the Bucks.
Lippo
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by Lippo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:10 am

BuckHole wrote:I need a primer in this. It’s really hard to wrap my old brain around (I don’t understand how the stock market works, sheesh). I need to watch some videos on the basics. Who wouldn’t throw a $1,000 at it and see where it takes you? However, I don’t know where to buy it or which to buy. Also, the wallet thing is confusing as hell. I realize I don’t have physical coins and i think it’s just a code that I store in a word document or written on a scrap of paper stored in a safe. How wrong am I?

buy on coinbase
buy nano s
watch youtube video on how to use nano s
move ethereum or bitcoin to nano s , wait 10 years and 10-100x your investment
Lippo
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Lippo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 am

milwaukee bunks wrote:
Lippo wrote:
milwaukee bunks wrote:
you should be getting a better return than $25 on 8 1070s, and that should cost about $10-$12 a month at 0.09 kw/h

i just have 2 1070's but they are about $35 a month total electricity, we pay .1311 here in milwaukee
i make maybe $85-$90 ($120 - $35) a month profit, just have my sli'd gaming computer during downtime,

I'm running about 35 1070s right now, 15 more on the way this week. I only run 5 per setup as I find it more stable and I am not using any 3rd party miners but mining to pools myself as I tend to get better hash rate this way. I feel most managed ones skim some for themselves. Each setup costs me about $12 a month in electricity to run using platinum server psu's at 50% load and overclocking/undervolting my cards. I am paying a lot less for juice than you are over here in Green Bay though. Each 5 card setup is generating close to $30 per day the way I am running and the current status of alt coins.

yeah my psu is a corsair gold only, would have got platinum if knew waas gonna mine with it,,,
luv it, wish i had your ambition,
bet your heating bills are zero even Feb in GB, lol
milwaukee bunks
Senior

Post#95 » by milwaukee bunks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 am

Lippo wrote:
milwaukee bunks wrote:
Lippo wrote:

yeah my psu is a corsair gold only, would have got platinum if knew waas gonna mine with it,,,
luv it, wish i had your ambition,
bet your heating bills are zero even Feb in GB, lol

i'm the only house around with all of the upstairs windows open in the middle of winter, and its still stays mid 70s in here :lol:
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#96 » by BuckHole » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:39 am

Lippo wrote:
BuckHole wrote:I need a primer in this. It’s really hard to wrap my old brain around (I don’t understand how the stock market works, sheesh). I need to watch some videos on the basics. Who wouldn’t throw a $1,000 at it and see where it takes you? However, I don’t know where to buy it or which to buy. Also, the wallet thing is confusing as hell. I realize I don’t have physical coins and i think it’s just a code that I store in a word document or written on a scrap of paper stored in a safe. How wrong am I?

buy on coinbase
buy nano s
watch youtube video on how to use nano s
move ethereum or bitcoin to nano s , wait 10 years and 10-100x your investment

Thanks. I’m able to understand all that you conveyed. Coinbase is simple to use. App has value charts. Thanks, I got over my first hump.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#97 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 am

Many current investors have known nothing but up markets, regardless of what they invest in. It's all "easy money". It's been that way for years. There's going to be a whole lot of pain for some down the road.

I'm not saying pull put now, or a year from now. I have no idea. I never completely divest. I look at down markets as buying opportunities.

People here seem pretty savvy and knowledgeable. But so many people in general are going to be eaten by the bear.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#98 » by Mags FTW » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 am

PLASTICS
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,961

Post#99 » by sidney lanier » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:12 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Many current investors have known nothing but up markets, regardless of what they invest in. It's all "easy money". It's been that way for years. There's going to be a whole lot of pain for some down the road.

I'm not saying pull put now, or a year from now. I have no idea. I never completely divest. I look at down markets as buying opportunities.

People here seem pretty savvy and knowledgeable. But so many people in general are going to be eaten by the bear.

Hard to believe it's 30 years since Black Monday. 2008 wasn't the kind of gut punch those of us who were in the market in 1987 got. You're right -- most on this board have never seen a bear market with teeth. Or double-digit inflation, for that matter.

I guess those are good things in a way.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,733

Post#100 » by Serge28 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:19 pm

midranger wrote:Get disability insurance if you don't have it. Get term life insurance if you need it (i.e. people dependent on your income), because that will only get more expensive. Don't buy permanent life insurance, ever. No, really. Never. Refinance your student loans. Try to scare up 5.5k to fund a Roth IRA.

I'm curious as to why you say that. I work at a firm where permanent products (ULs and Indexed ULs) are our bread-and-butter so to speak. Heck, we're doing a $50 million Universal Life policy for an NBA starter right now.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks