ImageImage

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Re: OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#961 » by M-C-G » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 pm

Missing Rings wrote:I bought into CGC about 3 weeks ago when they were about $26 per share. Feeling really good right now.

There is a FB group if you are interested. Just investors and none of the crap you see on the Yahoo message board with trolls.

I'm sure you have done your research, but I think Bruce Linton is really visionary as the CEO. Love hearing that guy talk about the industry, where it is going, how strategic they are in their vision to be the major player, and now obviously partnered with Constellation.

Part of me thinks they are going to split off at some point, with the medical becoming its own entity and the ingestibles going with constellation in some form or fashion. Also, not sure if they plan to split the stock now with that investment, but constellation has a long history of splits that have made a lot of people really wealthy as their stock grew.
vlietinho
Veteran
And1: 480

Post#962 » by vlietinho » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:34 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Missing Rings wrote:I bought into CGC about 3 weeks ago when they were about $26 per share. Feeling really good right now.

There is a FB group if you are interested. Just investors and none of the crap you see on the Yahoo message board with trolls.

I'm sure you have done your research, but I think Bruce Linton is really visionary as the CEO. Love hearing that guy talk about the industry, where it is going, how strategic they are in their vision to be the major player, and now obviously partnered with Constellation.

Part of me thinks they are going to split off at some point, with the medical becoming its own entity and the ingestibles going with constellation in some form or fashion. Also, not sure if they plan to split the stock now with that investment, but constellation has a long history of splits that have made a lot of people really wealthy as their stock grew.

Bruce said there might be a stock split in 2019 but certainly not in 2018. They only asked shareholders to see how they would think about it, it might not happen at all. I agree he does really well. Hope some day the Thic Vic (APH) learns from him, but he just joined twitter so that's something :-?

Havent checked out FB or Yahoo yet, I'm currently a lot on reddit (although there's a lot of trolls and pumping there as well), but it's entertaining, and can also be informative if you are carefull
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#963 » by ackypoo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:19 pm

is a recession happening soon? how soon? and how can i profit from that without taking on massive risk (ie inverse etfs, shorts, or inverse puts)?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#964 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm

People have been "predicting" another recession, another correction, another crash for years. Sure at some point it will happen. It always does. But all of the so called experts are no different than psychics. Keep making predictions and eventually they will be right. Never mind all the times they've been wrong.

There is no way to time the market without taking on risk. You might get lucky. You probably won't. It's always the best strategy to diversify. The younger you are the more risk you should take. But it's ok to be younger and be more conservative as well. People of all ages are risk adverse. And that's not a bad thing. A bad thing is trying to get rich quick in the market. For every success there are 100 failures. I feel great when I buy a stock and it skyrockets. But I'm not betting my financial future on it. Each investment I make is a small part of my portfolio.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#965 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:35 pm

vlietinho wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Bruce said there might be a stock split in 2019 but certainly not in 2018. They only asked shareholders to see how they would think about it, it might not happen at all. I agree he does really well. Hope some day the Thic Vic (APH) learns from him, but he just joined twitter so that's something :-?

Havent checked out FB or Yahoo yet, I'm currently a lot on reddit (although there's a lot of trolls and pumping there as well), but it's entertaining, and can also be informative if you are carefull

Yeah, the option to perform a stock split was approved in a vote, I think in part to add some risk to people shorting, but again that was before the Constellation investment, so hard to know if that was just some kind of contingency plan...though I suspect with Bruce, it is all part of a very detailed and well thought out strategic plan.

I watched a Midasletter with the CEO of Tilray today...honestly, no idea how that share price is competing with Canopy. He basically said they have a plan to try to get to other countries and try to develop medical, etc...basically they are trading at a share price equal to Canopy with a business plan to try some time in the future to be where Canopy is today. I'm not putting a dollar into that company.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#966 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:40 pm

ackypoo wrote:is a recession happening soon? how soon? and how can i profit from that without taking on massive risk (ie inverse etfs, shorts, or inverse puts)?

It is risky business, but I remember the last time I was thinking we were upon a recession I was looking into a lot of VIX and VXX to try and make bank on market volatility. I watched it every day for a couple of months and all it did was take a crap and bleed investors dry. I came to the conclusion I wasn't a knowledgeable enough investor to play that game and just abstained.

I can't speak for anyone else, but can tell you that I know the Industrial sector is pretty strong with projects lined up to build/upgrade/expand a lot of factories in the US. That tells me the big manufacturers aren't anticipating a recession, but rather the opposite, they are gearing up for more production.

edit: should clarify, that is just my knowledge from talking to some of our sales force at work, that is not based on any kind of industry report or anything like that

edit2: oh, and make sure you are doing your own due diligence on that recession...there are actually paid trolls that hit up boards like yahoo and just spout gloom and doom nonsense and try to get people move from one stock to another, etc.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

OT: Investing - Stocks/Mutual Funds/Bonds/Crypto 

Post#967 » by BuckHole » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:48 am

Anyone listen to Peter Schiff? His economic predictions are interesting. I’m considering buying some gold as a hedge against inflation...and for fun. Gold isn’t a great investment, more of a holding.
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,772

Post#968 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:53 pm

This weed stock run has been ridiculous. CRON up over 20% again today. That stock has doubled in price in two weeks. I got out this morning simply because I don't know how to time these things without a firm accounting barometer and because I need the money for a wedding :) Happy with my 100% return and realize I may be leaving money on the table.

Would love to get back in on a dip/correction in the future.
vlietinho
Veteran

Post#969 » by vlietinho » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:07 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:This weed stock run has been ridiculous. CRON up over 20% again today. That stock has doubled in price in two weeks. I got out this morning simply because I don't know how to time these things without a firm accounting barometer and because I need the money for a wedding :) Happy with my 100% return and realize I may be leaving money on the table.

I'm still holding, but it has been insane the last week! Nothing wrong with taking profits though, congrats!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#970 » by humanrefutation » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 pm

AMD's share price has more than doubled since I bought in. Patience paid off.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#971 » by M-C-G » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 pm

vlietinho wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:This weed stock run has been ridiculous. CRON up over 20% again today. That stock has doubled in price in two weeks. I got out this morning simply because I don't know how to time these things without a firm accounting barometer and because I need the money for a wedding :) Happy with my 100% return and realize I may be leaving money on the table.

I'm still holding, but it has been insane the last week! Nothing wrong with taking profits though, congrats!

Yep, you never lose a profit you take (until you reinvest it later!)...but I'm holding 5-10 years, well that is what I am thinking anyway...but it is really nice to be way ahead on my CGC, and with all the noise that Aphria might be invested in by Diageo, I am loving the action.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#972 » by midranger » Wed Sep 5, 2018 12:23 pm

Ijust checked CGC. Looks like another big day. Congrats to everyone who got there early, in particular M-C-G who was pumping that stock on here before the whole weed thing took off. Hope y’all made a ton.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#973 » by M-C-G » Wed Sep 5, 2018 5:26 pm

midranger wrote:Ijust checked CGC. Looks like another big day. Congrats to everyone who got there early, in particular M-C-G who was pumping that stock on here before the whole weed thing took off. Hope y’all made a ton.

Thanks man, I'm obviously an enormous fan of Bruce Linton's vision. And yeah, I'm quite happy with the returns so far, kept buying on the dips and UP 97% on CGC on the year!
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#974 » by M-C-G » Wed Sep 5, 2018 6:57 pm

BuckHole wrote:Anyone listen to Peter Schiff? His economic predictions are interesting. I’m considering buying some gold as a hedge against inflation...and for fun. Gold isn’t a great investment, more of a holding.

I just put a few grand in PHYS...this was particular interesting because the shares are backed by actual gold. On the .001% chance that Trump would pull us out of the Federal Reserve and move back to the USD being backed by gold, watch out, gold should explode. So this seems safe because it is gold but with a small chance that it is a lottery ticket.
vlietinho
Veteran

Post#975 » by vlietinho » Thu Sep 6, 2018 12:34 pm

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/aphria-completes-divestment-of-all-us-cannabis-assets-with-sale-of-remaining-interest-in-liberty-health-sciences-692581271.html

Don't know if anyone around here has invested in Aphria? (it's where most of my money is, CGC 2nd)
But this is good news, they now can get a us listing, and/or are preparing for the Diageo deal (or another alcohol/tabacco/pharma comp.)
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#976 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
BuckHole wrote:Anyone listen to Peter Schiff? His economic predictions are interesting. I’m considering buying some gold as a hedge against inflation...and for fun. Gold isn’t a great investment, more of a holding.

I just put a few grand in PHYS...this was particular interesting because the shares are backed by actual gold. On the .001% chance that Trump would pull us out of the Federal Reserve and move back to the USD being backed by gold, watch out, gold should explode. So this seems safe because it is gold but with a small chance that it is a lottery ticket.

I have to believe his Goldman Sachs buddies would stop that before it even got off the ground but stranger things have happened.
chile
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#977 » by chile » Thu Sep 6, 2018 4:25 pm

Does anyone here have insight or recommended sources/reads for venture capitalism? It would be taking my first swing at this so curious if others have experience.

PM would be preferred.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#978 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 7, 2018 9:46 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#979 » by BuckHole » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:50 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I have to believe his Goldman Sachs buddies would stop that before it even got off the ground but stranger things have happened.

Schiff is no friend of Goldman Sachs. Have you listened to his podcast, read his books, watched his TV appearances, viewed his YouTube channel?
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#980 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:25 am

BuckHole wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Schiff is no friend of Goldman Sachs. Have you listened to his podcast, read his books, watched his TV appearances, viewed his YouTube channel?

I was referring to the president and his administration.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks