ImageImage

OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Re: OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#281 » by glenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:Started Bayonetta 2 over the weekend. So far, it seems...a lot like Bayonetta 1? I mean it is good, but I can't recall a sequel that has felt like such a direct continuation of its predecessor. Maybe it takes a hard turn in an hour or two, but that really struck me.

I just got my copy from Amazon today and it comes with a download code for part 1.* Would you recommend playing 1 first or jumping right into 2?

*Actually, it came with a blank space where the code should have been and I'm waiting on Nintendo to issue me a new one. I've never seen that before.
:reporter:
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,840

Post#282 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 pm

I finally got around to playing/finishing Uncharted 4. Damn, that was a great game.

Has anybody played Uncharted: The Lost Legacy? Is it worth it?
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#283 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:28 pm

glenn wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:Started Bayonetta 2 over the weekend. So far, it seems...a lot like Bayonetta 1? I mean it is good, but I can't recall a sequel that has felt like such a direct continuation of its predecessor. Maybe it takes a hard turn in an hour or two, but that really struck me.

I just got my copy from Amazon today and it comes with a download code for part 1.* Would you recommend playing 1 first or jumping right into 2?

*Actually, it came with a blank space where the code should have been and I'm waiting on Nintendo to issue me a new one. I've never seen that before.

I'd say definitely play the first. It's a good game and because both are almost identical to control, there's no real point in not playing it. It'll be like playing one long game for you if you play them back to back, since the transition is very seamless. For what it's worth, it'll also help you make a little sense of the completely nonsensical story.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#284 » by glenn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:For what it's worth, it'll also help you make a little sense of the completely nonsensical story.

:lol: I started the second one while waiting for my download code to be reissued and yeah, the story is pretty out there. I'll do what you suggest once I get it.
:reporter:
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#285 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:25 pm

glenn wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:For what it's worth, it'll also help you make a little sense of the completely nonsensical story.

:lol: I started the second one while waiting for my download code to be reissued and yeah, the story is pretty out there. I'll do what you suggest once I get it.

Yeah. I don't think the first is totally necessary to understand the second, but it'll create a baseline and make side character appearances mean more and what have you.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,827

Post#286 » by tydett » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm

bcks fan wrote:Just picked up a Switch last week. I have MK 8 so my wife and I can play together.

I can find about 30 min play sessions several times a week and was wondering if Breath of the Wild is enjoyable/doable if broken up into small chunks of time or if it would become overwhelming if I can't devote more to it. I have two boys under 4, so I get interrupted often if I do try to sneak some time into a game. Can you save anywhere/often? I'm ok if it takes me 6+ real time months.

Thanks

Odyssey and the moons is another good rec. In 30 minutes you could easily find 4-5 moons per world and work on progressing through the game.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#287 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm

tydett wrote:
bcks fan wrote:Just picked up a Switch last week. I have MK 8 so my wife and I can play together.

I can find about 30 min play sessions several times a week and was wondering if Breath of the Wild is enjoyable/doable if broken up into small chunks of time or if it would become overwhelming if I can't devote more to it. I have two boys under 4, so I get interrupted often if I do try to sneak some time into a game. Can you save anywhere/often? I'm ok if it takes me 6+ real time months.

Thanks

Odyssey and the moons is another good rec. In 30 minutes you could easily find 4-5 moons per world and work on progressing through the game.

Yep, this was my thought as well.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#288 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

Thanks

Now thinking about it, is there any first party Nintendo game that really can't be consumed in 30min chunks on the Switch? Zelda you can explore for 30min, Mario you can collect a few moons, MK8 you can do a race or two, Splatoon 2 matches are like 5min, etc....?

I think maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the only one, since its like a diehard JRPG? Haven't played it, know little about it.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,241

Post#289 » by dbrodz7 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

Now thinking about it, is there any first party Nintendo game that really can't be consumed in 30min chunks on the Switch? Zelda you can explore for 30min, Mario you can collect a few moons, MK8 you can do a race or two, Splatoon 2 matches are like 5min, etc....?

I think maybe Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the only one, since its like a diehard JRPG? Haven't played it, know little about it.

I own Zelda, Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart. I basically beat Odyssey and am now playing Zelda and I basically only play while I ride the exercise bike for 45 per night. So they both definitely work well for shorter windows. I have found that this makes exercising 100 times more desirable because I want to play the game and it completely distracts me while doing it.
Misery loves company
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#290 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

Even though I love(d) Zelda I think this is my main problem with Nintendo games for the past 20 years. I tend to gravitate towards the meaty games you find yourself binging over a weekend or spending an hour+ on every night. When you can play something for such a brief in and out session it makes it too easy to put aside. The game seems too inconsequential for my time.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#291 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

Even though I love(d) Zelda I think this is my main problem with Nintendo games for the past 20 years. I tend to gravitate towards the meaty games you find yourself binging over a weekend or spending an hour+ on every night. When you can play something for such a brief in and out session it makes it too easy to put aside. The game seems too inconsequential for my time.

I think that's fair, as I also desire another meaty game or two on the Switch right now (hoping Fire Emblem is sooner than later). But also, where I am at in life the most time I probably commit to a game in a night is 3-4 hours vs the 10-12 I could commit during my college years. So I also appreciate that the Switch has good, deep games that can be approached in small bites.
feldm093
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#292 » by feldm093 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Does this count under the subheading of "video games"?

Read on Twitter
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#293 » by Sauce Boss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:43 pm

feldm093 wrote:Does this count under the subheading of "video games"?

Read on Twitter

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,019

Post#294 » by humanrefutation » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
tydett wrote:

Celeste. At least for me. I've found that if I stop in the middle of a chapter, I find it hard sometimes to know what I've already done because the game isn't always linear. Also, I end up spending 10 minutes just building up my timing and reflexes once again.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 994

Post#295 » by Ryan5UW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 pm

ackypoo wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:Anybody have a rec for some good over the ear headphones? Wireless, preferably fold-able for travel.

guy at work got the sennheiser noise cancelling ones this past week, they are crazy. the weird silence when you put them on...i dont know how that noise cancelling thing works, but if you can get used to it i bet its awesome.

i think they might be these - https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC-550-Wireless-Cancelling/dp/B01E3XLNA0

but id have swore i saw them closer to $400 recently.

Cool, thanks - these look intriguing. These, the Bose and the Sony’s all have little things that aren’t ideal, but these might fit what I’m looking for best. I doubt the Best Buy by me will have all in stock, might need to order 2 or 3 and see how they all sound.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#296 » by ackypoo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:Anybody have a rec for some good over the ear headphones? Wireless, preferably fold-able for travel.

guy at work got the sennheiser noise cancelling ones this past week, they are crazy. the weird silence when you put them on...i dont know how that noise cancelling thing works, but if you can get used to it i bet its awesome.

i think they might be these - https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PXC-550-Wireless-Cancelling/dp/B01E3XLNA0

Cool, thanks - these look intriguing. These, the Bose and the Sony’s all have little things that aren’t ideal, but these might fit what I’m looking for best. I doubt the Best Buy by me will have all in stock, might need to order 2 or 3 and see how they all sound.

some best buys have them if thats where youre going - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless-over-the-ear-noise-canceling-headphones-black/5701801.p?skuId=5701801

there are some things i feel comfortable buying sight unseen off the internet, and sennheiser headphones are one of them. ive never had a pair i didnt absolutely love. but i also havent spent $400 on any.

good luck!
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#297 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm

ackypoo wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
ackypoo wrote:guy at work got the sennheiser noise cancelling ones this past week, they are crazy. the weird silence when you put them on...i dont know how that noise cancelling thing works, but if you can get used to it i bet its awesome.

some best buys have them if thats where youre going - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless-over-the-ear-noise-canceling-headphones-black/5701801.p?skuId=5701801

there are some things i feel comfortable buying sight unseen off the internet, and sennheiser headphones are one of them. ive never had a pair i didnt absolutely love. but i also havent spent $400 on any.

good luck!

Sennheiser rocks. If you don't mind spending the money, get these. I am sure they are amazing. My favorite pair of cans, the Sennheiser HD 598, is one of my favorite gadgets ever, period.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 994

Post#298 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 am

ackypoo wrote:some best buys have them if thats where youre going - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sennheiser-pxc-550-wireless-over-the-ear-noise-canceling-headphones-black/5701801.p?skuId=5701801

good luck!

MikeIsGood wrote:Sennheiser rocks. If you don't mind spending the money, get these. I am sure they are amazing. My favorite pair of cans, the Sennheiser HD 598, is one of my favorite gadgets ever, period.

You guys convinced me, thanks! The "**** my ex wife" fund is dwindling, but I think I can find a few hundred in it for some sweet headphones :D
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#299 » by jschligs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Any upcoming games that I need to be on the lookout for? I just picked up Nier and Horizon Zero Dawn at BB for $20 each, but I haven't even started looking at the summer games (or lack thereof).
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#300 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 pm

jschligs wrote:Any upcoming games that I need to be on the lookout for? I just picked up Nier and Horizon Zero Dawn at BB for $20 each, but I haven't even started looking at the summer games (or lack thereof).

If you are on PC, Into the Breach comes out next week on the 27th. It's the next game from the guys who made FTL, and it's basically a mix of Advanced Wars and FTL where you have time traveling mechs fighting kaiju monsters. It looks dope.

Beyond that, here is the outlook of big games with known release dates through May:

March
Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – March 6
Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – March 13
Kirby Star Allies (Switch) – March 16
Sea of Thieves (Xbox One, PC) – March 20
A Way Out (PS4, Xbox One, PC) – March 23
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4, PC) – March 23
Far Cry 5 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - March 27
MLB The Show 18 (PS4) – March 27

April
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (PC) – April 3
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4) – April 17
God of War (PS4) – April 20

May
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) - May 4
Dark Souls Remastered (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) – May 25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks