OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Superfito
Senior
And1: 82

Re: OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#981 » by Superfito » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:00 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:Anybody have any gaming monitor suggestions? Majority of time will be playing games and watching movies. Would like to keep it under $800 if possible.

Do you want 4k or not? The conversation begins there pretty much.

If you value color accuracy you want a 144hz IPS panel; if you value input speed then you want a 144hz TN panel. If you have an Nvidia card, make sure you get a G-Sync monitor. For that price you're probably looking at a 1440p monitor with good gaming specs.

The 4K HDR 144hz gaming monitors coming soon are viewed as the holy grail but they're still like $2k... in a few years I bet they're $1k. If you can somehow hold off, that's the best long term decision right now.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#982 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:36 am

jschligs wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Yea I know that, the jump from 20 to 60 was from Google Wifi. The jump from 65 to 200 was all Charter.

I can't remember - are you in Madison? I have Charter internet and if they're giving out free upgrades I want in.

Yea I’m in Madison. I’ve had Charter internet for about 2 years and a few months ago or so they upgraded their base internet speed to 100/10 from 60/5. Problem is, for existing customers they didn’t tell you that you had to request to move up to 100/10 so I’ve been sitting here using 60/5 since. It’s pretty shady if you ask me but it’s Charter. I suggest calling or chatting with their live support. The difference has been extremely noticeable.

Nice. I chatted with them today and they told me to exchange my modem and they'll give me that boost. Gonna do that tomorrow. Appreciate the tip!
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,218

Post#983 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:16 am

humanrefutation wrote:
jschligs wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
I can't remember - are you in Madison? I have Charter internet and if they're giving out free upgrades I want in.

Yea I’m in Madison. I’ve had Charter internet for about 2 years and a few months ago or so they upgraded their base internet speed to 100/10 from 60/5. Problem is, for existing customers they didn’t tell you that you had to request to move up to 100/10 so I’ve been sitting here using 60/5 since. It’s pretty shady if you ask me but it’s Charter. I suggest calling or chatting with their live support. The difference has been extremely noticeable.

Nice. I chatted with them today and they told me to exchange my modem and they'll give me that boost. Gonna do that tomorrow. Appreciate the tip!

When you say exchange your modem, do they provide you with a new one? Or do you have to go out and get something specific? I just checked my download/upload speeds and I'm at 60/5. Definitely would like the free upgrade.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: OT: 2018,Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#984 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:22 am

Matches Malone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
jschligs wrote:

When you say exchange your modem, do they provide you with a new one? Or do you have to go out and get something specific? I just checked my download/upload speeds and I'm at 60/5. Definitely would like the free upgrade.

They told me to bring it into the Charter office and they'll give me the exchange free of charge. And then they'll update my account.

They might be doing so because my modem is a little older. I got it back in 2015, and the chat person said I needed to upgrade it to get the 100mbps connection.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#985 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Nioh Complete Edition is $30 on Steam this weekend. Someone mentioned the PC version a couple pages back...JFYI. I've neverplayed it so I have no idea if it's any good.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,861

Post#986 » by jschligs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:54 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

They told me to bring it into the Charter office and they'll give me the exchange free of charge. And then they'll update my account.

They might be doing so because my modem is a little older. I got it back in 2015, and the chat person said I needed to upgrade it to get the 100mbps connection.

For whatever reason mine modem didn't need the switch. But glad you guys are going to get the free upgrade!
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,218

Post#987 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:37 pm

jschligs wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

For whatever reason mine modem didn't need the switch. But glad you guys are going to get the free upgrade!

Yes! Thanks again for the tip. You came in clutch.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#989 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:29 am

It’s sad that he has to confirm it’s in development considering they **** announced it 3 years ago.

They announced it way too soon. Really stupid move.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#990 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:31 am

MikeIsGood wrote:It’s sad that he has to confirm it’s in development considering they **** announced it 3 years ago.

Wasn't stupid that they announced it, everyone has been asking for it for years. It built hype, it probably moved a few units.

Problem is we are impatient as **** and want everything now. We hammer away at devs asking for teases for things that are far off, and when they break and give us that confirmation we get pissed that it's going to take awhile.

Last year's example is probably going to be Metroid Prime 4. Current example this year could end up being The Elder Scrolls VI. They finally confirmed it is happening this E3, but it could be four or more years. I think it's an expectation game, and in Square Enix's case, they have a history of being slow *cough* Final Fantasy XV *cough*. So we need to adjust appropriately when we make those asks.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#991 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:45 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:It’s sad that he has to confirm it’s in development considering they **** announced it 3 years ago.

Wasn't stupid that they announced it, everyone has been asking for it for years. It built hype, it probably moved a few units.

Problem is we are impatient as **** and want everything now. We hammer away at devs asking for teases for things that are far off, and when they break and give us that confirmation we get pissed that it's going to take awhile.

Last year's example is probably going to be Metroid Prime 4. Current example this year could end up being The Elder Scrolls VI. They finally confirmed it is happening this E3, but it could be four or more years. I think it's an expectation game, and in Square Enix's case, they have a history of being slow *cough* Final Fantasy XV *cough*. So we need to adjust appropriately when we make those asks.

I could not possibly disagree more. Announcing something, then going three consecutive shows without revisiting said announcement, is stupid.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#992 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:09 am

I wanted some Elder Scrolls feels after the TES6 reveal, so instead of get Skyrim SE at full price, I decided to wait for a sale and pick up ESO for $10. Just the base offering at this point (which I think comes with some of the expansions, now), but it's been quite fun so far. I'm still not an MMO person in general - all of the people makes me lose immersion - but there have already been some damn good quests and I'm only about 15-20 hours in.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#993 » by chuckleslove » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Meanwhile I'm still waiting on Half-Life 3
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,867

Post#994 » by engelmartin » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 pm

How many switch games that I actually want to play are coming out now? Is it worth it yet to get one?
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#995 » by chuckleslove » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm

engelmartin wrote:How many switch games that I actually want to play are coming out now? Is it worth it yet to get one?

I'd say Mario and Zelda alone are enough to justify it. There are also plenty of others that add even more value to it.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#996 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:00 am

Zelda's legit incredible, and I've never been a Zelda fan. Their E3 was impressive.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#997 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:29 am

This is what I would suggest with the Switch. Buy one. Treat it meticulously. Sign up for a free trial of Gamefly. Rent a couple games - Zelda and Odyssey - and try them for a couple weeks. If you aren't hooked by then, return it all, cancel Gamefly when the trial ends (it's one month IIRC), and move on with nothing invested.

If you decide to keep it, realize that you'll probably end up dumping at least $100 more into accessories - the must-haves being a screen protector, a MicroSD card, a carrying case, and a pro controller. That's without a single game, yet.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#998 » by jschligs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:54 am

Honestly I went from someone who hadn't purchased a Nintendo console since the original Wii on launch to someone who plays the Switch almost daily. I bought it on a whim because Best Buy had them in stock and I thought why not "treat yo'self" because I never do. Best, and only, impulse purchase I've had in years.

MikeIsGood wrote:I wanted some Elder Scrolls feels after the TES6 reveal, so instead of get Skyrim SE at full price, I decided to wait for a sale and pick up ESO for $10. Just the base offering at this point (which I think comes with some of the expansions, now), but it's been quite fun so far. I'm still not an MMO person in general - all of the people makes me lose immersion - but there have already been some damn good quests and I'm only about 15-20 hours in.

Haha crazy you say that...after E3 I went and re-downloaded ESO and have been playing a little bit more. I think I'm only level 8 or 9, but it's scratching that TES itch.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,201

Post#999 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Just stumbled on the E3 sale for Switch games last night. Any of you played Splatoon 2 or Mario + Rabbids? I already have Zelda, so I can't take advantage of the discount there.
Misery loves company
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1000 » by jschligs » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:Just stumbled on the E3 sale for Switch games last night. Any of you played Splatoon 2 or Mario + Rabbids? I already have Zelda, so I can't take advantage of the discount there.

I bought Splatoon 2 around launch. Fun third person shooter (ish) with a twist, thought it was perfect for the Switch. If you need something to play and it's around $20-30 I'd pick it up.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks