Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Re: RE: Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1321 » by MrHoneycutt » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:13 pm

emunney wrote:
MrHoneycutt wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:Anyone watching Safe with Michael C Hall? I'm about halfway through the season and it has been pretty entertaining thus far. A lot going on and a lot of cliff hanger endings.

I really enjoyed the first half of the series, but was kinda disappointed by the time it ended. Overall a good show, but hard not to be let down with how it all ties together.

Has anyone watched The Leftovers? Season 1 was pretty dark, and Season 2 was sort of amazing.

Season 3 is even better.

I'm about to watch the final episode tonight, and my head is spinning even trying to guess what will end up happening.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,016

Re: RE: Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1322 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:29 pm

MrHoneycutt wrote:
emunney wrote:
MrHoneycutt wrote:
I really enjoyed the first half of the series, but was kinda disappointed by the time it ended. Overall a good show, but hard not to be let down with how it all ties together.

Has anyone watched The Leftovers? Season 1 was pretty dark, and Season 2 was sort of amazing.

Season 3 is even better.

I'm about to watch the final episode tonight, and my head is spinning even trying to guess what will end up happening.

I gave up on the series after season one, but came back for the series finale. I **** loved it to the point where I probably regret not watching the second and third seasons.
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,523

Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1323 » by drone3 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:00 am

Really getting into 'Nobel' Norwegian series on Netflix. Really well made, great acting.
Triple 7
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#1324 » by Triple 7 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:04 am

drone3 wrote:Really getting into 'Nobel' Norwegian series on Netflix. Really well made, great acting.

I liked that a lot. Hoping for another season
"Is he not unique? No one plays like this guy. This guy is the new guy. This is the new form."
- George Karl on Giannis
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1325 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jun 6, 2018 11:59 am

I feel like Marc Maron. I haven’t heard of half of this stuff you guys are talking about.

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1326 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jun 6, 2018 12:46 pm

I’ve never heard of Marc Marin lol
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,999

Post#1327 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:36 pm

Finished Thor: Ragnarok last night. Excellent film. One of the best in the series, IMO.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1328 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:51 pm

Badgerlander wrote:I’ve never heard of Marc Marin lol

Then you haven’t watched GLOW. Quality show.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1329 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Jun 6, 2018 4:04 pm

You should check him out. He's been around as a comedian for a long time but he's more well known for his podcast WTF. As a comedian he's not everyone's cup of tea but on his podcast he's had guests from regular folks to well known actors & comedians to Barack Obama. He delves into lots of psychological pain and repression in a very comfortable way. It's an intimate podcast.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1330 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 5:35 pm

I thought Hereditary would just be a fun, niche horror film. Turn the brain off for a couple hours type stuff. The reviews are drastically increasing my expectations though.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 682

Post#1331 » by ejn1214 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 6:06 am

Just saw Upgrade. One of my favorites of the year so far. Smart, funny, and brutal.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1332 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:29 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:I thought Hereditary would just be a fun, niche horror film. Turn the brain off for a couple hours type stuff. The reviews are drastically increasing my expectations though.

I've learned to have my expectations WAY low when it comes to the buzzy hyped horror film of the year. The Witch and The Babadook suuuuccccckkkkkkeeed. The best thing about It Follows was the 80s synth soundtrack. None of the three were remotely scary.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1333 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:18 pm

So I watched the first season of The Americans when it first came on, and I thought it was alright but nothing special. Five or six years later and after seeing it on every "Greatest show on TV" list I gave it another look. Just finished the second season, and I still have no idea what the point of this show is. The entire season long arc with Nina was a complete waste of time. I really like Stan but I didn't need to spend thirteen episodes with whatever it was he was doing. Paige and her church. Echo and stealth. I just didn't give a **** about any of it. Literally nothing worked for me all season.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,747

Post#1334 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:44 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:

You should check him out. He's been around as a comedian for a long time but he's more well known for his podcast WTF. As a comedian he's not everyone's cup of tea but on his podcast he's had guests from regular folks to well known actors & comedians to Barack Obama. He delves into lots of psychological pain and repression in a very comfortable way. It's an intimate podcast.

I have listened to a few of his podcasts, and I don't understand what the hype is all about. I find him a little self centered and insecure and unprepared as an interviewer. He does seem like kind of a cool uncle type figure, or a cool crusty guy to talk to at the end of the bar.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1335 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:55 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

I have listened to a few of his podcasts, and I don't understand what the hype is all about. I find him a little self centered and insecure and unprepared as an interviewer. He does seem like kind of a cool uncle type figure, or a cool crusty guy to talk to at the end of the bar.

Yep, that's why he's not everyone's cup of tea. He's a sensitive guy, a comic. Not everyone can handle that type of personality.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1336 » by Badgerlander » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:44 pm

I’m not a fan of Pods, don’t know why anyone would eat those things
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1337 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 4:42 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:I thought Hereditary would just be a fun, niche horror film. Turn the brain off for a couple hours type stuff. The reviews are drastically increasing my expectations though.

I've learned to have my expectations WAY low when it comes to the buzzy hyped horror film of the year. The Witch and The Babadook suuuuccccckkkkkkeeed. The best thing about It Follows was the 80s synth soundtrack. None of the three were remotely scary.

Add It to that list too. The Witch left something to be desired but I was still a fan. It Follows had a couple jump scare moments and entertained me, which is what I care about more. If I'm not going to be frightened, at least keep me engaged.

On the flip side I loved A Quiet Place and thoroughly enjoyed Ouija: Origin of Evil. Lights Out is up there too.

EDIT: Just went back and was not misremembering, The Witch has a sinister soundtrack. One of my favorites in recent years.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,724

Post#1338 » by emunney » Thu Jun 7, 2018 5:25 pm

I thought It Follows was absolutely brilliant both in conception and execution. All the really weird technological dissimilitude made it tonally remind me more of an unsettling dream than of any other movie. There's a ton of little stuff I loved about that movie.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,880

Post#1339 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Jun 7, 2018 5:29 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So I watched the first season of The Americans when it first came on, and I thought it was alright but nothing special. Five or six years later and after seeing it on every "Greatest show on TV" list I gave it another look. Just finished the second season, and I still have no idea what the point of this show is. The entire season long arc with Nina was a complete waste of time. I really like Stan but I didn't need to spend thirteen episodes with whatever it was he was doing. Paige and her church. Echo and stealth. I just didn't give a **** about any of it. Literally nothing worked for me all season.

Based on what I know of your TV preferences, The Americans ranks pretty high on the list of TV shows I would've been pretty sure you wouldn't like.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1340 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2018 5:54 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:So I watched the first season of The Americans when it first came on, and I thought it was alright but nothing special. Five or six years later and after seeing it on every "Greatest show on TV" list I gave it another look. Just finished the second season, and I still have no idea what the point of this show is. The entire season long arc with Nina was a complete waste of time. I really like Stan but I didn't need to spend thirteen episodes with whatever it was he was doing. Paige and her church. Echo and stealth. I just didn't give a **** about any of it. Literally nothing worked for me all season.

Based on what I know of your TV preferences, The Americans ranks pretty high on the list of TV shows I would've been pretty sure you wouldn't like.

Spoiler:
I felt like I just watched 13 episodes so we could get to Nina being gone and Paige turning into a spy apprentice, and literally nothing else mattered. WTF?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks