ImageImage

2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: RE: Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1381 » by crkone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 am

blazza18 wrote:I had been mostly confused and out on Legion all season. Last nights finale pulled me back in though.
I think they wrapped it up nicely.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,380

Post#1382 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:16 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
MrHoneycutt wrote:
emunney wrote:Season 3 is even better.

I'm about to watch the final episode tonight, and my head is spinning even trying to guess what will end up happening.

I gave up on the series after season one, but came back for the series finale. I **** loved it to the point where I probably regret not watching the second and third seasons.

Just finished. I though S1 and S2 were better than S3 but I did enjoy the finale. After there were some brief interviews with Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta that explained somewhat what they were thinking. No surprise that Lindelof wrote a lot of "Lost" episodes. I haven't read Perrotta's book, I'm curious how much the HBO series deviated from it.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,724

Post#1383 » by emunney » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:18 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MrHoneycutt wrote:
I'm about to watch the final episode tonight, and my head is spinning even trying to guess what will end up happening.

I gave up on the series after season one, but came back for the series finale. I **** loved it to the point where I probably regret not watching the second and third seasons.

Just finished. I though S1 and S2 were better than S3 but I did enjoy the finale. After there were some brief interviews with Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta that explained somewhat what they were thinking. No surprise that Lindelof wrote a lot of "Lost" episodes. I haven't read Perrotta's book, I'm curious how much the HBO series deviated from it.

The first season has the broad strokes of the book with some changes. Everything after is new.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,380

Post#1384 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:27 am

emunney wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

The first season has the broad strokes of the book with some changes. Everything after is new.

Wow that's interesting. I figured the whole thing was in the book one way or another.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#1385 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 am

If you liked making a murderer, the staircase on Netflix is very good.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1386 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 pm

So... Hereditary is fun as hell. The overly enthusiastic critical acclaim is probably too much but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ReasonablySober wrote:
I thought this movie had a five minute stretch early to mid flick that was truly outstanding. The problem was everything else was pretty meh.

Spoiler:
There is some forced scenes. The first grief meeting fell flat for me for example.

Is the sequence you're referencing around Charlie's death? That's stuck with me the most. One of my most uncomfortable moments was when Toni Collette* finds the body and you hear her piercing, wretched cries while the camera stays on Paul who left her be.

Then there's the scene where Toni first sees her mom's ghost, Paul getting attacked in bed, Toni banging her head on the attic door, etc.. Just all well-executed psychological horror imo, like what The Witch aspired to be. I was creeped out for a good portion of the movie.

*Toni Collette man. What a performance. She oversold the part and it was perfect. This movie needed that kind of effort to really work. I could watch it again just for her.

I would suggest it to anyone considering.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,015

Post#1387 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:So... Hereditary is fun as hell. The overly enthusiastic critical acclaim is probably too much but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ReasonablySober wrote:
I thought this movie had a five minute stretch early to mid flick that was truly outstanding. The problem was everything else was pretty meh.

Spoiler:
There is some forced scenes. The first grief meeting fell flat for me for example.

Is the sequence you're referencing around Charlie's death? That's stuck with me the most. One of my most uncomfortable moments was when Toni Collette* finds the body and you hear her piercing, wretched cries while the camera stays on Paul who left her be.

Then there's the scene where Toni first sees her mom's ghost, Paul getting attacked in bed, Toni banging her head on the attic door, etc.. Just all well-executed psychological horror imo, like what The Witch aspired to be. I was creeped out for a good portion of the movie.

*Toni Collette man. What a performance. She oversold the part and it was perfect. This movie needed that kind of effort to really work. I could watch it again just for her.

Yea, you're right about the scene I was referencing. Everything there was awesome. But everything else didn't hit for me at all. Also, Toni Collette was the worst possible choice for the role. She's this generation's Jamie Lee Curtis.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1388 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:So... Hereditary is fun as hell. The overly enthusiastic critical acclaim is probably too much but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ReasonablySober wrote:

Spoiler:

Yea, you're right about the scene I was referencing. Everything there was awesome. But everything else didn't hit for me at all. Also, Toni Collette was the worst possible choice for the role. She's this generation's Jamie Lee Curtis.

Who do you think would have cast better? Not that I think Toni herself was crucial for the role but the way she approached it I have to commend. Vera Farmiga comes to mind as someone with a similar look.

Spoiler:
The dinner table scene and spiritual summons I was also a fan of. Sucks those didn't click.

The naked worshippers at the end could've been omitted though...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1389 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Spoiler:

Who do you think would have cast better? Not that I think Toni herself was crucial for the role but the way she approached it I have to commend. Vera Farmiga comes to mind as someone with a similar look.

Spoiler:
The dinner table scene and spiritual summons I was also a fan of. Sucks those didn't click.

The naked worshippers at the end could've been omitted though...

I actually take what I said back. I'd thought she'd been the main female role in a few horror movies that she wasn't in.
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1390 » by MrHoneycutt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
emunney wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Wow that's interesting. I figured the whole thing was in the book one way or another.

Started reading the book, it's interesting that Kevin Garvey is actually a businessman in early retirement in the novel.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1391 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Only seen the first season but I liked it. This is cool.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,618

Post#1392 » by blazza18 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 pm

Series ended on a bit of a cliffhanger so that is awesome news.

Does it feel like more shows get saved than they have previously?
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,880

Post#1393 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

blazza18 wrote:Does it feel like more shows get saved than they have previously?

This has definitely been a weird year with B99, The Expanse, and now Lucifer. It usually doesn't work like that, even with the streaming services.

Never seen a single episode of Lucifer though.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1394 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:26 am

X-Files 48 hour marathon on BBC America. One of the few series I’ve watched from beginning to end. Loved the way it was shot with the muted colors and lighting, and the atmospheric music.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,880

Post#1395 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:44 am

Watched the first episode of Marvel's Cloak and Dagger. It was surprisingly really good.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#1396 » by Bucksfan28 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Finally caught up. Westworld has been great this season. Maeve, who I previously thought was arguably the least interesting character, has ascended to become one of my favorite stories.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1397 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Succession is to Billions as Veep was to early House of Cards. Watched the first three episodes last night and they were alright, but once the show starts leaning into the jokes and absurdity you get how Succession could be entertaining.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#1398 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:43 pm

UPGRADE is one of my favorite movies in a LONG TIME.

Its right up my alley: Part B movie, part sci-fi thriller. What I didn't expect was how BEAUTIFULLY shot it was and how great the script was.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,747

Post#1399 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Creed II involves a mega fight in Moscow against Ivan Drago's son?

WHO DO I GIVE MY MONEY TO? SOMEONE TAKE MY MONEY PLEASE!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,724

Post#1400 » by emunney » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Detroiters, one of my personal favorites, starts Season 2 tonight. More people should be watching it.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts

Return to Milwaukee Bucks