And1: 7,312

Re: RE: Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#421 » by Mags FTW » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 am

RRyder823 wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

Lol who the **** is that review from. LOL

Good lord. I enjoyed the movie but damn it's not revolutionary

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Dude might spontaneously combust if he read something like Asimov’s Foundation series.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#422 » by FrieAaron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:02 am

"Black Panther" is not going to be taught in film school, lol. It is one of the best Marvel movies, though.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#423 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:11 am

FrieAaron wrote:"Black Panther" is not going to be taught in film school, lol. It is one of the best Marvel movies, though.

That reviewer is from India, reviewing movies in an Indian paper. Is it possible that something about the movie (I haven't seen it) resonates in India in some particular way it maybe doesn't here? It can be weird how certain things cross into another culture and become something they're not in the culture from which they came.
Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#424 » by Tfence92 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:35 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

Lol who the **** is that review from. LOL

If it was so incredible, why did he only give it a 4.5/5? :reporter:
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#425 » by humanrefutation » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Tfence92 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Lol who the **** is that review from. LOL

If it was so incredible, why did he only give it a 4.5/5? :reporter:

Ya'll are making a great point by citing the Hindustan Times. :lol:
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#426 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:30 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Anyone start McMafia? I think that's next on my list.

Highly recommended. I didn't get anything done this weekend because of it which is a pretty good sign.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#427 » by FrieAaron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:50 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:"Black Panther" is not going to be taught in film school, lol. It is one of the best Marvel movies, though.

That reviewer is from India, reviewing movies in an Indian paper. Is it possible that something about the movie (I haven't seen it) resonates in India in some particular way it maybe doesn't here? It can be weird how certain things cross into another culture and become something they're not in the culture from which they came.

Good point. And a question I definitely am not very equipped to answer. The most noteworthy thing about the movie I think is that it's a blockbuster with a largely non-white cast (Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis have pretty large parts). Which I don't mean to downplay at all - it's a big deal. It also touches on colonization a bit, so that's another issue that could definitely strike a chord. From a filmmaking standpoint, I think the most noteworthy thing about the film are the production design and costumes. Those are both very good.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#428 » by El Duderino » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 pm

I finally watched Almost Famous after all of these years since it came out. What a wonderful movie. My favorite scene from it.

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#429 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:06 am

FrieAaron wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:

Good point. And a question I definitely am not very equipped to answer. The most noteworthy thing about the movie I think is that it's a blockbuster with a largely non-white cast (Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis have pretty large parts). Which I don't mean to downplay at all - it's a big deal. It also touches on colonization a bit, so that's another issue that could definitely strike a chord. From a filmmaking standpoint, I think the most noteworthy thing about the film are the production design and costumes. Those are both very good.

Idk why, but that stuff is interesting to me. When I lived overseas, I would amuse myself trying to figure out why certain American cultural exports were really big and others were total non-entities despite being big deals in the US and elsewhere too.
Sometimes it seemed like there was an obvious reason, sometimes it made no apparent sense at all.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#430 » by FrieAaron » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:08 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:

Idk why, but that stuff is interesting to me. When I lived overseas, I would amuse myself trying to figure out why certain American cultural exports were really big and others were total non-entities despite being big deals in the US and elsewhere too.
Sometimes it seemed like there was an obvious reason, sometimes it made no apparent sense at all.

Like China not really caring about Star Wars and loving the Fast and Furious movies?
hege53190
Head Coach
And1: 2,671

Post#431 » by hege53190 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:15 am

El Duderino wrote:I finally watched Almost Famous after all of these years since it came out. What a wonderful movie. My favorite scene from it.

great movie. Some underrated scenes with Zoey Deschanel, Anna Paquin, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Jimmy Fallon.

The scene directly proceeding that scene is also awesome.

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#432 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 am

FrieAaron wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:

Like China not really caring about Star Wars and loving the Fast and Furious movies?

Is that true? I had no idea. But yeah, that's probably the best example I've ever heard of the thing. Can you imagine? Those poor people ... :D

But seriously, that kinda makes sense to me. Star Wars is a work of imagination. All of its charms (as far as I'm concerned) stem from the quality of Lucas' imagination and the world he created (its charms certainly aren't plot or acting or dialogue right?)

My intuition is that really imaginative things rely on cultural signs being still recognizable somehow, despite being changed and presented in interesting new forms via the imagination. That's what imagination is right? A new vision you've never seen but one that still makes sense or is appealing or immediately "familiar" somehow. We had never heard of Jawas before, but we were able to immediately understand them and take them for exactly what they are, because they're archetypal.

I can see how the imaginative vision Star Wars relies on might not translate well to certain cultures. Maybe Jawas would be baffling to them (a response I guarantee no western viewer had) Maybe Wookies wouldnt be endearing and cool, maybe they'd be stupidly laughable with their weird voices. Et cetera. And what good is Star Wars without it's Jawas and Wookies? No good at all, really.

On the other hand, the F&F franchise's charms (and they must have some) are all right on the surface and no translation is required- cool cars, chases, action, and hot women. That's pretty easy to import world-wide, I think (in fact I think F&F is particularly popular and successful all over the world).

ETA: I should note that I just made all of this up now and it may be totally untrue.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#433 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 am

Everything Sucks on Netflix was a really good watch. It starts off pretty heavy handed with the 90’s symbolism (it's a 90’s High School show), but the character development was excellent over the course of the season. It’s basically a mixture of Freaks and Geeks with My So Called Life but with a lighter tone. Not as good as F&G but still a very satisfying show to watch.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#434 » by RRyder823 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 am

Watching the live action Fullmetal Alchemist movie on Netflix and damn if they didn't just chop up brotherhood and try and cram as much they could in 2 hours. And just strait screwed it up

Spoiler:
How the **** do I leave out Scar?

blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#435 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Everything Sucks on Netflix was a really good watch. It starts off pretty heavy handed with the 90’s symbolism (it's a 90’s High School show), but the character development was excellent over the course of the season. It’s basically a mixture of Freaks and Geeks with My So Called Life but with a lighter tone. Not as good as F&G but still a very satisfying show to watch.

The soundtrack was sensational. Thought the casting of the kids wasn't great but they grew on me as the season went on. My favourite part of the show might have been the principle.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#436 » by HKPackFan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:44 am

blazza18 wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Everything Sucks on Netflix was a really good watch. It starts off pretty heavy handed with the 90’s symbolism (it's a 90’s High School show), but the character development was excellent over the course of the season. It’s basically a mixture of Freaks and Geeks with My So Called Life but with a lighter tone. Not as good as F&G but still a very satisfying show to watch.

The soundtrack was sensational. Thought the casting of the kids wasn't great but they grew on me as the season went on. My favourite part of the show might have been the principle.

On the content side, it shows 14+ from common sense media. It's not too raunchy for a 14 year old is it?
#FreeChuckDiesel
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#437 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am

Has some swearing in it and one of the characters is gay. You should be sweet.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#438 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

blazza18 wrote:

I agree on the casting. Luke was great, but characters like Kate and Tyler were a little rough to watch. The principal was great casting work and the interaction between him and Luke’s Mom were some of the best scenes of the show.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#439 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm

hege53190 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:I finally watched Almost Famous after all of these years since it came out. What a wonderful movie. My favorite scene from it.

great movie. Some underrated scenes with Zoey Deschanel, Anna Paquin, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Jimmy Fallon.

The scene directly proceeding that scene is also awesome.

PSH being very cool.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#440 » by Mags FTW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Sorry. Had to. :)

Return to Milwaukee Bucks