Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,874

Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#921 » by emunney » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:THE EXPANSE IS BACK

Finished the first season last night. I really liked it, though it took me a little bit to get into it. I like that it doesn't hold your hand as viewer very much(you have to be in the right mood to watch a show like that though). You have to pay attention to catch all the details and fully understand this world.

I'm excited to have the entire second season to binge watch now.

Yeah the 2nd season is still dense, but the price of entry in the first few episodes of the series is really steep. I like that kind of thing but I had to put on the subtitles.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,147

Post#922 » by BMatt07 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Damn, this movie is going to make a killing.

Read on Twitter
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,931

Post#923 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:01 pm

A Quiet Place is awesome. And I lucked into a good crowd that didnt make a sound.

Two questions though:
Spoiler:
1) Despite their grief, they really concluded that having another baby was smart?
2) No one could think of making a dog whistle on steroids before humanity was destroyed?
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,950

Post#924 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Ready Player One was great. Spielberg is still the GOAT.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,207

Post#925 » by FrieAaron » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:A Quiet Place was quite good and had a Hitchcockian feel to it. Though if you're annoyed by the sounds of crunching popcorn, nachos, and people fumbling with their bags of skittles, do NOT see it in a theatre.

Yeah that's the problem with a "quiet" movie. I'll admit the theater I saw it in was pretty quiet throughout and it was a full house. I was surprised.

My theater was also quiet.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,022

Post#926 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:36 am

Andre the Giant doc was really good. Loved Hulk Hogan talk about Andre beating the crap out of wrestlers he didn't like (such as Randy Savage and Big John Studd). The accompanying clips were awesome.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#927 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:19 am

Anyone else watching Rapture on Netflix? I’m through T.I.. I kinda thought it would be cheesy but I’m really enjoying it. I don’t even think you need to be a fan of rap/hip-hop culture to enjoy it. In fact, if you’re not you should give it a shot. Lots of good stuff here.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#928 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Andre the Giant doc was really good. Loved Hulk Hogan talk about Andre beating the crap out of wrestlers he didn't like (such as Randy Savage and Big John Studd). The accompanying clips were awesome.

There is youtube footage of him mercilessly beating a young King Kong Bundy in the ring, I guess KKB was too cocky. And a famous story about Andre trying the same with Kamala, who was actually a street smart city kid who had tucked a ‘22 in his trunks. There is a famous story of Bad News Brown pulling a gun on him on a bus. All this to say, I think Andre was a huge bully, and it was weird how everyone in the doc talked about him like he was so kind and gentle.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#929 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:11 am

Ric Flair talking about Andre drinking 106 beers one night. Hell the minimum he'd drink after a match was a case.

Yeah if he didn't like you he could be nasty.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#930 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:18 am

There were plenty of liberties taken in that doc about Andre's character.

Also, Hulk Hogan is a pathological liar so you can take almost anything he says as fiction.
Do it for Chuck
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#931 » by Bucksfan28 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm unnecessarily giddy for Unsane.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#932 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:I'm unnecessarily giddy for Unsane.

I thought it was ok enough. I like the idea that it was this secret movie they shot. Crazy that they made a feature length film using only an iPhone.
Do it for Chuck
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,502

Post#933 » by HKPackFan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Ready Player One was great. Spielberg is still the GOAT.

I really enjoyed it, but the plot changes and story changes always throw me off when they deviate from the books. It felt rushed to me when I compare to the books. I think I enjoyed the second half more as it got closer to source material and the movie pace matched the book pace towards the end.
#FreeChuckDiesel
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#934 » by freewhitemoon » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:45 pm

bizarro wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Finally started watching the Sopranos and I now get why it's considered one of the best shows ever. Nearly done with the first season and it's already captured my interest more than Breaking Bad ever did.

You know...I've been thinking about giving The Sopranos a full treatment. This little tidbit gives me the encouragement I need.

yeah i'm thinking about it too. I watched the first episode like 2 years ago and never really got into it
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,858

Post#935 » by blazza18 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 am

So Lost in Space looks more family show'y compared to actual sci fi. At least that's my take from the first couple of episodes. They were both entertaining if you're ok with that. The family seems likeable enough and the robot is pretty cool.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#936 » by Badgerlander » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Watching Peaky Binders on Netflix, love it
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#937 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Watching Peaky Binders on Netflix, love it

Great show.I thought it was done but they're doing another 6 episodes. Not until next year I think
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#938 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 am

Bucksfan28 wrote:**** crazy that S1 of The Wire is probably considered the third best.

It bugs me that so many people seem to dislike or underrate season 2.

Not only would the overall portrait of modern American civic institutions be incomplete without examining the vacuum left by the disappearance of good, working-class jobs (and the unions) but it's a great story with the can of dead girls, how the drugs get in etc.

Also I think Ziggy is a truly first-rate character who doesn't get enough appreciation. He's almost like something out of Shakespeare (like a dumb Iago) and I love the tangled familial-love triangle of affections/jealousy/loyalty/anger etc between him and his dad and nick. Great stuff.

...And yet another institution (family) fails the humans involved in it, and yet more humans are unable to escape their fates despite their best efforts and best intentions...
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#939 » by Bucksfan28 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 pm

thomchatt3rton wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:**** crazy that S1 of The Wire is probably considered the third best.

It bugs me that so many people seem to dislike or underrate season 2.

Not only would the overall portrait of modern American civic institutions be incomplete without examining the vacuum left by the disappearance of good, working-class jobs (and the unions) but it's a great story with the can of dead girls, how the drugs get in etc.

Also I think Ziggy is a truly first-rate character who doesn't get enough appreciation. He's almost like something out of Shakespeare (like a dumb Iago) and I love the tangled familial-love triangle of affections/jealousy/loyalty/anger etc between him and his dad and nick. Great stuff.

...And yet another institution (family) fails the humans involved in it, and yet more humans are unable to escape their fates despite their best efforts and best intentions...

No argument from me. I'm not sure how I'd rank them but S2 has always been a personal favorite.

On my first viewing I didn't understand where the gripe with it came from. From a strictly storytelling standpoint, I think they needed to veer from the Barksdale arc given Avon's fate at the end of S1. And that doesn't touch on the social commentary that you mention.

Agree on Ziggy also. I think the Sobotka trio in general doesn't get enough appreciation. Frank owns that entire season.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,967

Post#940 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:THE EXPANSE IS BACK

Finished the first season last night. I really liked it, though it took me a little bit to get into it. I like that it doesn't hold your hand as viewer very much(you have to be in the right mood to watch a show like that though). You have to pay attention to catch all the details and fully understand this world.

I'm excited to have the entire second season to binge watch now.

I binged the entire second season over last week. Holy **** this show rules so hard. You all needed to yell at me more to watch this show a lot sooner.

Spoiler:
The episode where Miller bonded with Julie/the protomolecule to redirect the station from hitting Earth and died(not convinced we won't see him again in some form) was legit one of the best episodes of TV I've watched in awhile.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks