So good, so good.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,647

Re: 2018 TV/Movie/Book Thread with Spoilers 

Post#963 » by emunney » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Fan of Detroiters on Comedy Central, coming back June 21.

Would also recommend Tim Robinson's episode of The Characters on Netflix.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#964 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Watching the Oliver Stone History Doc on Netflix. Man oh man, how Henry Wallace was swept under the rugs of chosen history. It's quite amazing to retrospectively consider the versions of mythologized US history we were given as young ones. That 1944 DNC was bonkers. It was like seeing the origination point of what the DNC recently did to Bernie's campaign. Granted, it was for a running mate for Roosevelt's 4th (!!!) term BUT they knew it would be the next president. Don't even get me started on Truman and McCarthy. Holy hell we have a mass-reckoning with this country's sordid past. I continue to be amazed how little the average American citizen actually knows about their country's history. Actually, I'm not amazed.

EDIT: I also see Amazon Prime finally redid their Prime Video section. Couldn't believe how wonky and amateur early 2000's that looked since its inception.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#965 » by trwi7 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:37 pm

I really don't know if I want to see Super Troopers 2. I'm leaning towards no.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#966 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pm

I'm 7 episodes into season 1 on Santa Clarita Diet. I'm digging it. I almost bailed after the first episode. Olyphant is great.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#967 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 pm

The first Super Troopers was funny but I feel that it gets all sorts of overrated.

*whispers* Beer Fest was the better movie
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#968 » by thomchatt3rton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:**** crazy that S1 of The Wire is probably considered the third best.

It bugs me that so many people seem to dislike or underrate season 2.

Not only would the overall portrait of modern American civic institutions be incomplete without examining the vacuum left by the disappearance of good, working-class jobs (and the unions) but it's a great story with the can of dead girls, how the drugs get in etc.

Also I think Ziggy is a truly first-rate character who doesn't get enough appreciation. He's almost like something out of Shakespeare (like a dumb Iago) and I love the tangled familial-love triangle of affections/jealousy/loyalty/anger etc between him and his dad and nick. Great stuff.

...And yet another institution (family) fails the humans involved in it, and yet more humans are unable to escape their fates despite their best efforts and best intentions...

Coming back to continue this discussion as I'm about to wrap up S2...

For one, I paid more attention to Ziggy with regards to your Shakespeare comment and saw it myself. He's a sincerely tragic figure. The arc felt more like a character from a play with his theatrical angst and inferiority complex. Idk if you listen to The Rewatchables, but one of their topics is "Heat check by a role player", and Zig takes it by a mile for S2.

My biggest gripe with the whole show however is not seeing Frank confront the Greeks. We get no payoff. It's obviously intentionally written that way, but as a Sobotka supporter, I needed to see that..

I can get with the heatcheck comment- He's kinda stretched thin a bit. And maybe it's better to think of him as a caricature, not a character per se (this is not a denigration- he's a caricature the same way Dickens' memorable types are caricatures).

I also like the small touch that the writers gave Ziggy a huge cock that he loves to get out- he's this this runt-of-the-litter dude who nobody respects, but goddamn it he's got a big dong and he's going to take it out constantly- that somehow completes his character in a way that if it wasn't there, there'd be something missing.
(In his diaries, the playwright Joe Orton said, regarding the actor Donald Pleasence's decision to play a character with a hearing aid and false teeth, "now I understand what a real actor brings to a part". Little touches like that (in this case by the writers, not the actor) mean a lot to me.

As far as Sobotka vs the Greeks: there is no satisfaction in The Wire! That would go against the whole theme of the show. The best, the very best, you can hope for are small, half-victories. :D
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#969 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 am

Westworld.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#970 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:50 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Westworld.

I gave up on season 1, couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#971 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:52 am

My wife and i decided to give Westworld a shot a few weeks ago. Turned on the first episode. Plot was strange. There was no exposition. Nothing made sense and I was waiting for something to happen to piece it all together.

Got through an hour and 10 minutes of the season finale before either of us realized it. :lol: Doubt we'll ever get back to it.
Do it for Chuck
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#972 » by GB_Packers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:37 am

Great premiere for Westworld, glad to have it back.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Post#973 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 am

Yea, that was an awesome return.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#974 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Westworld.

Has there ever been a show with this kind of production value and budget and critical acclaim that cared less about character development?

At times, it feels more like a video game than a tv show.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,766

Post#975 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Westworld.

I gave up on season 1, couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another shot

gotta give it like half the season then its gets really good.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,766

Post#976 » by ReginaldDwight » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:Westworld.

Has there ever been a show with this kind of production value and budget and critical acclaim that cared less about character development?

At times, it feels more like a video game than a tv show.

Spoiler:
Half the characters are robots and maybe more, they teased 2 new worlds last night so it should be interesting when we see them.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#977 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 pm

I was confused during most of the episode, but I think mostly because I forgot the details of what happened last season. A 1.5 year break is brutal. I'm going to watch a longer recap (HBO's 4-minute thing was useless), then re-watch.

Despite that, I thought it was great, it just felt like I was missing a lot.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#978 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

Westworld:

Spoiler:
Does everyone know Bernard is a robot? He was obviously hiding it from Charlotte, but what about the "cleanup crew" guys? I couldn't tell if they knew or not - I assume so since they were going to kill him?
tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,750

Post#979 » by tydett » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Westworld:

Spoiler:
Does everyone know Bernard is a robot? He was obviously hiding it from Charlotte, but what about the "cleanup crew" guys? I couldn't tell if they knew or not - I assume so since they were going to kill him?

Spoiler:
Early season "theorizing" from me is that they DO know Bernard is a robot, Tessa Thompson gave him some sort of code or secret, and they're trying to get it out of him by taking him back through the aftermath.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,729

Post#980 » by Licensed to Il » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Westworld

Spoiler:
I had the same question.. who all knows that Bernard is a robot? This is even more complicated than going back and reminding ourselves who knew this last season, when you factor in the multiple time lines of this season. Like.. even the interview/dialogue with Dorthy might be in the past or future. There just is so much to sort through in thos series, that it is very tough to follow and enjoy in real time. Its like the professor in college who you know is brilliant, but you also have no idea what he/she is talking about during lectures.

Im definately enjoying the series, and glad to have it back. My critique, is that we are starting season 2 and we don’t conclusively know who is the protagonist, antagonist, or who fights for who (Dellos seems nefarious, but nothing is what it seems on this show). And with all the robotics.. we don’t know if Ford is really dead (yes we saw his head blown off), or if any other characters we think are human are actually hosts (or vice versa).

Again, I think it is creative and exploring some really interesting questions about corporations, technology, and the nature of what is and is not real. And yet, ten years from now, I suspect some smarmy critic from the onion av club is going to use Westworld as the classic example of a show that tried so hard to hide the end game from the internet sleuths (super nerds) that the storytelling and charecterization really suffered.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks