Out of The League After Rookie Deal
14%

Total votes: 269

tydett
General Manager
And1: 6,822

Re: The New 2018 Thon Maker Poll!!!! 

Post#61 » by tydett » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:54 pm

So the real question is whether the Superstar vote came from KG, John Hammond, or Fotis?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,014

Post#62 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:56 pm

M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
We did have a passable backup in Spencer Hawes but you were more detracted by his off court stuff. So make up your mind. 8-)

No, Hawes is also very bad. We should have kept him for his expiring contract. Keeping him for his play is not defensible.

I don't really agree, he set picks, kept the ball moving and hit threes at a decent clip. If he was still here he would certainly be getting minutes over Thon and bringing more to the table.

Hawes is a player like Mirza or like Beasley, there are nights they are going to be pretty useful, nights they are going to be somewhat neutral and nights that you just need to plant their ass on the bench after two minutes.

The league seems to disagree with you, because Spencer Hawes is out there for anyone to take him and he isn't getting a nibble.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#63 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:57 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:
No, Hawes is also very bad. We should have kept him for his expiring contract. Keeping him for his play is not defensible.

I don't really agree, he set picks, kept the ball moving and hit threes at a decent clip. If he was still here he would certainly be getting minutes over Thon and bringing more to the table.

Hawes is a player like Mirza or like Beasley, there are nights they are going to be pretty useful, nights they are going to be somewhat neutral and nights that you just need to plant their ass on the bench after two minutes.

The league seems to disagree with you, because Spencer Hawes is out there for anyone to take him and he isn't getting a nibble.

Sure, but we don't have a third center and we have to pay him anyway. I don't know how anyone could look at our C rotation this year and not think we could have used Hawes this season. I'm not saying we couldn't find better, but we absolutely could have used him this season.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,014

Post#64 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Sure, but we don't have a third center and we have to pay him anyway. I don't know how anyone could look at our C rotation this year and not think we could have used Hawes this season. I'm not saying we couldn't find better, but we absolutely could have used him this season.

There are a lot of big men we could use this year. I would have gladly kept Joel Anthony, who is still sitting out there, over Spencer.
Brewhoopfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,915

Post#65 » by Brewhoopfan » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:13 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:

This is because the NBA is stupidly locked into being their own developmental league. The G league is helping to make it better, but if Hawes could convince someone he is 19-20 years old - he would be on a roster.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,881

Post#66 » by engelmartin » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:16 pm

Thon didn't even hurt anyone last night and that's when I officially quit on him

KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,673

Post#67 » by chonestown » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:19 pm

Thon's going to stay 7'1" and him and Giannis are buds.

Giannis : Thon :: Rodman : Jack Haley.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#68 » by emunney » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:25 pm

M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
We did have a passable backup in Spencer Hawes but you were more detracted by his off court stuff. So make up your mind. 8-)

Keeping Thon for his play is not defensible either. He's here because he's cheap and they expect something to click with him *any day now*. I think it won't but it's not my job.

You could sign two guys out of the G League today to play better than both of them. Hawes is a very good passer, a passable shooter and ball handler. He can set screens but he's a nothing as a roll man, like Thon. He does not do anything on an NBA level defensively. Thus he's not in the NBA.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#69 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:26 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Yo, Thon's gotta go. He's reached MCW levels of detracting from a basketball viewing experience.

Spencer can play in Russia for free as a debt to his President’s overlord.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#70 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:50 pm

emunney wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:

Keeping Thon for his play is not defensible either. He's here because he's cheap and they expect something to click with him *any day now*. I think it won't but it's not my job.

You could sign two guys out of the G League today to play better than both of them. Hawes is a very good passer, a passable shooter and ball handler. He can set screens but he's a nothing as a roll man, like Thon. He does not do anything on an NBA level defensively. Thus he's not in the NBA.

I definitely didn't say we couldn't do better, but we are paying him (more or less) and we could obviously use a third big that can do some of the stuff he does.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#71 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:51 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Yo, Thon's gotta go. He's reached MCW levels of detracting from a basketball viewing experience.

Yes, excellent, it wouldn't be a Spencer Hawes discussion without you pulling politics into it. I admire your dedication to it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#72 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:53 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

Yes, excellent, it wouldn't be a Spencer Hawes discussion without you pulling politics into it. I admire your dedication to it.

Cool. I was actually directly responsing to PP who brought up the very same topic. What did you think “off court stuff” was referring to?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#73 » by M-C-G » Fri Feb 2, 2018 4:58 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

Cool. I was actually directly responsing to PP who brought up the very same topic. What did you think “off court stuff” was referring to?

That's fine, like I said, it wouldn't be a Spencer Hawes discussion without some kind of political comments.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#74 » by kid idioteque » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:21 pm

At one point I thought my vote in the original poll of "spot starter" was too negative. Haha!

(I went with towel waver this time.)
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#75 » by kid idioteque » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:24 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:Hot take: If Thon was 19, I still don't think he has much potential. There are simply some things you can't teach and a lifetime in the gym isn't going to improve his hands, coordination, or instincts.

Then there are the mind-numbingly stupid things he does. Last night, he tried to harass an opposing guard, before being late in getting to Towns, then recovering to the high side. You are guarding KAT! You are infinitely undersized! How about devoting every ounce of energy to getting into position! It's like watch a middle schooler.

Yeah, I too am past caring what age he is. He's bad for any age.
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

The New 2018 Thon Maker Poll!!!! 

Post#76 » by BuckHole » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:27 pm

I don’t think Thon is Anthony Bennett gone. I think his strength is a major factor. I think he needs coaching and playing time. Perhaps he’s not meant for the NBA, but put him in the D league and see what he is against comparable talent. He’s not an MVP guy. He’s not a star guy. He’s a young player with major gaps in his play. If our coaches can’t fix him in a year or two. He gotta go!
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#77 » by TD75 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 5:29 pm

Sometimes I wonder what trade offers, if any, for, or involving Thon the Bucks got early last summer after Thon's performance in the Raptors series.

Then I realize I am not sure I want to know.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,884

Post#78 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:03 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Remember guys, after game three in the Toronto series the Raptors made big adjustments. I can't recall which games Thon looked good in, but am thinking they were the first three.

The adjustment was : They started Ibaka at C, Thon was fine against him, they
benched Valanciunas cause Thon was outscoring him and he could not guard him at the perimeter AND started Norman Powell who humiliated Khris
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,884

Post#79 » by Fotis St » Fri Feb 2, 2018 6:24 pm

I haven't voted on this poll ...
This poll made for those who wanted to change their vote ... There is no question on this poll.

So now that you are all revealed and voted they way you did ... let me say some words as I am still his fan.

This poll is for Thon at Center position.

Thon at PF could be totally different player from what you see him doing now. As you said, Thon made his mark on the Toronto series, benching Val on his worst year, and playing against similar size Ibaka...

Thon is (currently, maybe permanently) not a Center, Thon was a project on a league moving to alot of small ball lineups.

Thon is 95% a PF, and 5% small ball 5 against Ibaka. We lost a year on his development with the way Kidd and staff used him. Hawes should have been the backup C and Thon could play next to him. His potential is still there. I would take Thon over Teletovic every night as a long term backup PF while Giannis rests.

Thon's tools could potentially make him a mismatch at PF ... as he grows and improves his post moves.

Kidd has ruined his confidence throwing him like a a sack on heavyweight boxers...

So his potential in my opinion or Thon's ceiling is that he will be an above average PF and as he ages he will play some 5 like Horford. If Giannis' Bucks win a ring and he is in the roster, he could play in an all star game or win a Finals MVP like Iguodala.

It is certainly not his fault he plays out of position.
It is not his fault he overhelps on penetrator leaving his man who is torching us, this is a bad habit caught by our awful-trash Defensive scheme.

I love Thon, I wish him the best and I believe he will be settled at the PF position in the future.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#80 » by Nowak008 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 8:58 pm

It's just summer league you guys are overreacting.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks