Adam Silver - Possible new playoff seedings

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Re: Adam Silver - Possible new playoff seedings 

Post#21 » by Bucksfan28 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Stupid.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#22 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

This would be a good start but ultimately the top 16 teams in the league should be the playoff teams regardless of conference (and seeded as such).
Read on Twitter
mnstinks
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#23 » by mnstinks » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Fix the refereeing, star treatment, etc. A foul is a foul.
Not playoff seeding.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Re: RE: Re: Possible new playoff seedings 

Post#24 » by IrishRainbow » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:I don't really like it. Kind of removes the point of conference championships.

Here's how it would look if the season ended today, I think.

1 HOU
16 MIA

2 GSW
15 NOP

3 TOR
14 PHI

4 BOS
13 POR

5 CLE
12 DEN

6 SAS
11 OKC

7 MIN
10 MIL

8 WAS
9 IND

That's not what the bracket would look like, assuming there's essentially a "Houston" and "GSW" to give the 1 and 2 seeds a shot at playing in the finals.
Just looking at those top matchups...ugh. I get and like the whole Cinderella story line as much as anyone in the NCAA, but that's not a story worth watching in a 5-7 game series. I think you'd have to give byes or something. Top 2 teams from each conference get the top 4 seeds regardless of record in relation to remaining teams. They get reseeded amongst themselves and earn the first round bye. Leaving 5-16, 6-15, 7-14, 8-13, 9-12, and 10-11. That would allow more time to schedule the logistics of the first round and maintain some importance of conference championships. :don't know:

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using RealGM mobile app
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#25 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

Not a cap expert by any means but I’m not sure this would be an issue if there would have been cap smoothing in 2016 or whenever that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#26 » by HurricaneKid » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:51 pm

This was really interesting for a few reasons.

First off, he was asked a DIFFERENT QUESTION and said "I thought you were going to ask..." and the individual asking said to answer both (and Silver didn't even answer his initial question). So this is something he wanted out there.

I have always scoffed at the mere possibility because you need 23 Governors to vote to alter playoff to top 16 teams which makes it non-viable as you arent getting over half the east to vote against their own interests. But keeping 8 from each conference may well bypass the need for the ungettable votes.

I still don't think it works. Too many coastal teams. If LAL/LAC/SAC/POR plays Mia/Bos/Wiz/ATL/Brkn/NYK/Tor/Cle/Ind/ORL/Phi/Cha you have 7pm tipoffs meaning 4pm weekday games on the West Coast and 10pm tipoff on the EC. And if you have two of them you are talking about 6 and 830 tip which means 3pm and 11:30pm tip. That just doesn't work.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,393

Post#27 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Comparing to the NCAA is irrelevant, that tournament is one and done. Upsets can and do happen. Best of 7 series rarely see an upset. As I said in my first post Silver is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#28 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

In theory sounds great but the travel issue is real. It be a nightmare for teams on the Atlantic coast having to go out west, vice versa.

I'd rather them work on shortening the season. $$ hold up there though.

I do also miss the 5 game 1st round.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#29 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm

To me this only benefits the the 9th seeds left out that wouldve been in the playoffs in the other conference. And those teams will get bounced quick too so why overhaul it for that scenario?
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#30 » by bigkurty » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I’d be fine with it personally but yeah the travel would be difficult to manage.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Re: Possible new playoff seedings 

Post#31 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:12 pm

Badgerlander wrote:Love it, eliminate conferences and balance the schedule

That’s not what he’s talking about doing though. He’s keeping east 1-8 and west 1-8 but once playoffs start it’s a 1-16 formate regardless of conference.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#32 » by InsideOut » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Comparing to the NCAA is irrelevant, that tournament is one and done. Upsets can and do happen. Best of 7 series rarely see an upset. As I said in my first post Silver is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

You don't see it as a problem that you have a team winning one series by over 15 points a game and the next by 25 points a game when they could be playing a better and more equal team? To each their own but I can't believe you're more entertained by watching Cleveland beat Boston by 25 a game than watching a knockdown dragged out battle vs say a Spurs team. Most of those games I didn't even bother watching the 4th quarter.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:To me this only benefits the the 9th seeds left out that wouldve been in the playoffs in the other conference. And those teams will get bounced quick too so why overhaul it for that scenario?

Silver is talking about taking the top 8 in each conference just as they do now. But then they seed them 1-16 regardless of conference.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,623

Post#34 » by blazza18 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 pm

The best 16 teams no matter the conference should make the playoffs.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#35 » by bucksbrewers3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:15 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Comparing to the NCAA is irrelevant, that tournament is one and done. Upsets can and do happen. Best of 7 series rarely see an upset. As I said in my first post Silver is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

No, a problem does exist. You don’t get the 16 best teams in. That’s a problem.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#36 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:18 pm

bucksbrewers3 wrote:

No, a problem does exist. You don’t get the 16 best teams in. That’s a problem.

Every sport is like that. Sometimes you're in a strong conference/division and sometimes a weak one. Over the seasons it all evens out anyway.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#37 » by Beorn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:19 pm

As an foreigner with a different perspective about Conferences, divisions etc I find the current system dumb. The 16 best teams should get into the POs, regardless of conference. I don't care if it eliminates our team's possibilities in lucking into a Conference Finals because of a weak conference, it's the most just thing that could happen. Silver's solution is a step into the right direction.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,954

Post#38 » by BUCKnation » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 pm

I'm surprised to see so many people against it. This system would be way better. Travel is also a bit of a cop out considering the amount of days off teams get during the playoffs anyways.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#39 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:17 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:In theory sounds great but the travel issue is real. It be a nightmare for teams on the Atlantic coast having to go out west, vice versa.

I'd rather them work on shortening the season. $$ hold up there though.

I do also miss the 5 game 1st round.

I think all fans want the regular season shortened but the players and owners know how much money doing so would cost them so it will never happen. As for the five round first round series, the NBA wants to ensure that fans of all playoff teams get a minimum of two local playoff games.

As for the travel issue, this could be improved if they eliminated the 2-2-1-1-1 and went 2-3-2. There are enough off days in the postseason that travel is not really an issue.

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 pm

The best was after the lockout during Karl's first season here. 50 game season started in January. That was great.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks