ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers 2018-19 Season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,122

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-19 Season 

Post#201 » by DingleJerry » Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm

These are two large classes he has coming up (both in number of kids, and in importance of keeping the program on the upper tier). He has to start getting some real talent locked in.

For Carton, I support UW on it. I think this is him learning his lessson from Hauser/Herro. Rather than leaving all his eggs in the Carton basket, he played it safe and took Strickland rather than being left at the alter like was likely to happen after he blew up.

He did everything right with Carton. Identified him when he was more ranked in the 70-100ish range, which should be their sweet spot or target. He was on it first but the kid just kept improving and flying up rankings and getting other good offers. Kind of played himself out of our range so to speak. Gard saw the writing on the wall and locked someone else up instead of chasing this to the end just to see him go to a team with a more up tempo offense.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,166
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#202 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

DingleJerry wrote:These are two large classes he has coming up (both in number of kids, and in importance of keeping the program on the upper tier). He has to start getting some real talent locked in.

For Carton, I support UW on it. I think this is him learning his lessson from Hauser/Herro. Rather than leaving all his eggs in the Carton basket, he played it safe and took Strickland rather than being left at the alter like was likely to happen after he blew up.

He did everything right with Carton. Identified him when he was more ranked in the 70-100ish range, which should be their sweet spot or target. He was on it first but the kid just kept improving and flying up rankings and getting other good offers. Kind of played himself out of our range so to speak. Gard saw the writing on the wall and locked someone else up instead of chasing this to the end just to see him go to a team with a more up tempo offense.

This is pretty much in line with my take. They still were going after Carton and would've taken him, but the priorities changed when a guy that probably had UW as his 3rd or 4th option anyways after the increased attention now saw a depth chart of older players upon arrival and he's a guy that wants to play early.

Gard does need to get some higher rated guys in in this class to restock the 2020-2021 timeframe, so we'll see.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#203 » by DingleJerry » Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 pm

It was brought up at some point in recent months that UW supposedly doesn't graduate their guys. I saw all 4 players graduated last weekend, including Happ.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#204 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 15, 2018 2:40 pm

DingleJerry wrote:It was brought up at some point in recent months that UW supposedly doesn't graduate their guys. I saw all 4 players graduated last weekend, including Happ.

Yeah, it was like a 2-3 year blip in like 2008 and 2009 or somewhere around there when they had a fluky APR rating from a few guys not graduating and guys transferring among other things and then it was perpetuated by some Kentucky sports guy, which Marquette and Big 10 rival fans were happy to spread like a wildfire without any other context.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#205 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed May 23, 2018 4:22 am

Highlight tapes can be deceiving, but from what I’ve seen of a few of Strickland, he has a lot of potential to end up better than the 350whateverth rated recruit in his class...

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#206 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Osborne to FSU. 2019-2020 is likely going to be a very untested/young frontcourt but they'd still have time for grad transfers or just plugging in someone like Nnaji, a highly rated recruit.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#207 » by neiLz » Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 pm

Badgers with a transfer commit Owen Hamilton from N. Illinois

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#208 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 29, 2018 6:53 pm

ArodpwnsFavre wrote:Badgers with a transfer commit Owen Hamilton from N. Illinois

Read on Twitter

Walk-on/practice squad guy but probably means he's taking a roster spot that any transfer would've taken, meaning they won't be trying for anyone after Osborne, which isn't a shock.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,478

Post#209 » by neiLz » Tue May 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ArodpwnsFavre wrote:Badgers with a transfer commit Owen Hamilton from N. Illinois

Read on Twitter

Walk-on/practice squad guy but probably means he's taking a roster spot that any transfer would've taken, meaning they won't be trying for anyone after Osborne, which isn't a shock.

twas what i figured. was hoping they'd shoot higher :-( with a better transfer.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#210 » by Diggr14 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Ethan Happ is officially returning to Wisconsin.

Shocker.

However, if this team can learn how to shoot this summer... they have a punchers chance at another final four.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#211 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Diggr14 wrote:However, if this team can learn how to shoot this summer... they have a punchers chance at another final four.

I mean, Reuvers may be in for some improvement just due to the fact that he shot worse in games than we expected him to, but I'd say they should already be able to shoot.

King can shoot. Davison can shoot. Ford can shoot. Trice had a disappointing short season but can shoot. Pritzl seems to be able to shoot now. Anderson supposedly can shoot. Reuvers should be able to.

I think when healthy, this isn't really an issue and if it is an issue, they're not going to learn it over the offseason.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,267

Post#212 » by KidA24 » Thu May 31, 2018 2:50 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:However, if this team can learn how to shoot this summer... they have a punchers chance at another final four.

I mean, Reuvers may be in for some improvement just due to the fact that he shot worse in games than we expected him to, but I'd say they should already be able to shoot.

King can shoot. Davison can shoot. Ford can shoot. Trice had a disappointing short season but can shoot. Pritzl seems to be able to shoot now. Anderson supposedly can shoot. Reuvers should be able to.

I think when healthy, this isn't really an issue and if it is an issue, they're not going to learn it over the offseason.

I think it's not so much they need to learn how to shoot, but rather that they need to learn to shoot when the opportunity presents itself. This is something Pritzl seemed to learn over the course of the season last year. Hopefully the other guys follow suit.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#213 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu May 31, 2018 3:06 pm

KidA24 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I think it's not so much they need to learn how to shoot, but rather that they need to learn to shoot when the opportunity presents itself. This is something Pritzl seemed to learn over the course of the season last year. Hopefully the other guys follow suit.

Yeah, but I'm not sure who on the list is really left. Reuvers and Trice may qualify for that distinction, but I'm confident that you give them enough shots over the next few years and it'll happen. Trice did it plenty in his first freshman season.

They had the obvious depth/injury issues last year and seemed to figure it out last year as the year went by. Early in the year they fed Happ to no end which led to turnovers given that he was triple-teamed and is 6'7" (6'10" my ass) trying to pass out of the post.

Later in the year, as a few guys developed some confidence, they didn't force-feed Happ as much. Pritzl finding his stroke helped a bit, but the turnovers went down and they started to play pretty well even though they had a bunch of freshmen on the court and were missing some key contributors at guard.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,951

Post#214 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Awesome.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,650

Post#215 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Good article sort-of about Happ, focused on how big men have to be able to shoot to make it in the league now (with a few exceptions).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23762630/nba-draft-dilemma-big-men-ethan-happ-wisconsin-badgers
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#216 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm

There have been some whispers that Tyler Wahl will commit this weekend.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,650

Post#217 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:There have been some whispers that Tyler Wahl will commit this weekend.

Committing in general, or specifically to Wisconsin?
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#218 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:03 pm

It sounds like a done deal to UW, has told the other schools and is on campus this weekend. If they somehow can get the other 4 star from MN first name Zeke they'll have managed a good class considering how it looked. I doubt they get Zeke though, getting too much attention now so need to start turning over some other stones.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#219 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:19 pm

DingleJerry wrote:It sounds like a done deal to UW, has told the other schools and is on campus this weekend. If they somehow can get the other 4 star from MN first name Zeke they'll have managed a good class considering how it looked. I doubt they get Zeke though, getting too much attention now so need to start turning over some other stones.

Yeah, they were in early on Nnaji (this is a common trend for them) and Nnaji apparently has some family/friends around Madison so was leaning that way early but it does seem like too many big-time schools are sniffing around now.

Was this class ever looking bad? I think people overreact to things like Carton not putting UW in his top list. It goes this way a lot of years. They may get a few good gets really early like Kobe King but otherwise they'll cycle through a few declines from guys that have risen too high for UW's wheelhouse before eventually landing guys in their usual neighborhood of solid/good recruits.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#220 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:There have been some whispers that Tyler Wahl will commit this weekend.

Committing in general, or specifically to Wisconsin?

To Wisconsin as noted above.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks