ImageImage

Wisconsin Badgers 2018-19 Season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2018-19 Season 

Post#821 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:[quote="humanrefutation]So, yes, last season - the first year where Gard is basically running his own show without any meaningful leftovers from the 2015 title run - certainly counts. And it's a key piece of evidence that we have at this point of Gard's longterm potential at HC. These next couple seasons - if Gard even makes it into 2019-2020 - will be telling.[/quote]

Trice, Reuvers, Ford, Davison, King even if varying stages of disappointing along with bringing along Vitto and Showalter can at least give you some evidence that those other guys just suckedand that at the very least Gard can develop BIG caliber players. Remains to be seen if he keeps **** up for periods of time.

The current (young) supporting cast SHOULD still be good enough to carry them to the tournament even if underwhelming for parts of the year.[/quote][/quote]

I haven't seen enough growth from Trice, Davison, or King to reach that conclusion. And Vitto and Showie received the most important coaching - during their first couple developmental years - from Bo.

If Gard is truly good at shaping talent, then this current young surrounding cast should comfortably carry them into the tourney. And yet, at this moment, they're probably on the bubble.[/quote]

I think you’re holding Trice and Davison to a pretty high standard. Trice has come down from that lofty start but is still good and it’s ok for someone like Davison to not make a giant leap after last year. Both guys are somewhat limited physically. Regardless of limitations, they’ll have to have some of these guys step up even more next year, of course.

I swear that I’m not trying to make 1000 excuses but they’ve had one of the deeper schedules anyone can have. If they don’t win the games they should coming up soon there are no excuses.

I’m seriously close to your point of view at this point even if it doesn’t seem so. I just have different reasoning that basically the team is top 15-20 (Vegas STILL thinks so by the spreads they’re given) but they just **** up for very long periods of time. Longer than they can in this year’s deep league and we also saw a lull in the senior Nigel/Koenig team during conference play.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#822 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:51 am

By the way, Michigan, #2 team in the land, will only be favored by 1 or 2 points on Saturday. May move up from the public but just a fair warning. I will bet against UW but they still should be good if they don’t **** all over themselves for full halves.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#823 » by El Duderino » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Trice, Reuvers, Ford, Davison, King even if varying stages of disappointing along with bringing along Vitto and Showalter can at least give you some evidence that those other guys just suckedand that at the very least Gard can develop BIG caliber players. Remains to be seen if he keeps **** up for periods of time.

The current (young) supporting cast SHOULD still be good enough to carry them to the tournament even if underwhelming for parts of the year.

The problem i see going forward for Gard is it's hard to make solid, but nothing special talent wise rosters into consistent 20 plus game winners as Bo often could. That's not a dig at Gard because i think he's a solid coach, but Bo Ryan is in the College Basketball HOF for a reason.

So as long as Gard pulls in mainly middle of the pack type of recruiting classes and sometimes worse, i see lots of grind it out seasons in the future where his teams are perpetually on the bubble. He's not good enough like Bo was to turn pretty much any 12 players into a tournament team.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#824 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

The current (young) supporting cast SHOULD still be good enough to carry them to the tournament even if underwhelming for parts of the year.

The problem i see going forward for Gard is it's hard to make solid, but nothing special talent wise rosters into consistent 20 plus game winners as Bo often could. That's not a dig at Gard because i think he's a solid coach, but Bo Ryan is in the College Basketball HOF for a reason.

So as long as Gard pulls in mainly middle of the pack type of recruiting classes and sometimes worse, i see lots of grind it out seasons in the future where his teams are perpetually on the bubble. He's not good enough like Bo was to turn pretty much any 12 players into a tournament team.

I agree with this, though the 2 reasons for optimism is that he inherited that (whatever your opinion is) bad senior class. Trice and Ford class he was behind the 8 ball for it and while those guys are fine, they may not be his stock recruiting class. Wahl is solid for the 2019 class and 2020 remains to be seen, though it does not look like a top 25 class unless he gets Jalen Johnson. Other reason for optimism is that the team still should be fine. They're top 20 in NET and KenPom and we're obviously just mad about probably the lowest point. In theory, they should steal one soon and win most of the easy wins and still get near 20 wins. I have my doubts even at this point, though.

But I think a comparison that has been brought up a lot is Self to Weber. Weber is not Self but he's a solid D1 coach. Do we want to set the bar lower at UW? I don't know. But I can tell you that Illinois would probably give anything to get Bruce Weber back after 7 years of chasing the next bright, shiny object. If Alvarez fires Gard tomorrow I'm fine with it and you're exactly right about Bo being just that margin better that puts him in the HOF and takes some of the lesser teams to the tournament...but I'm also worried about what's next at a not very desirable program if they do move on.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#825 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:By the way, Michigan, #2 team in the land, will only be favored by 1 or 2 points on Saturday. May move up from the public but just a fair warning. I will bet against UW but they still should be good if they don’t **** all over themselves for full halves.

Opens at Michigan -1.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,451

Post#826 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 pm

Now moved to 2.5
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#827 » by buckboy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:11 am

I will do my best to move the line to 3.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#828 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:36 pm

This is the first Badger ball I've watched in two seasons and my god, it's gonna make my eyes bleed.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,901

Post#829 » by jschligs » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:This is the first Badger ball I've watched in two seasons and my god, it's gonna make my eyes bleed.

I wish I could say it’s because Michigan is a great team (they are), but this happens every game against every opponent. This team is just not a talented group outside of Happ.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#830 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:This is the first Badger ball I've watched in two seasons and my god, it's gonna make my eyes bleed.

It's time to tear down the program and start from scratch. You can sell his brand of basketball when you're winning, but this is not entertaining.

They consistently struggle to score 30 in a half, and half scored less than 20 multiple times this season.

Blow it up.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#831 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Gard needs them to pull of a win in this one so badly.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,671

Post#832 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:30 pm

Clearly as discussed in the past few weeks, I don't completely disagree with you guys. But it's an odd game to complain about with #2 Michigan in the house and us playing a great, competitive game.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#833 » by MAC1987 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Mags FTW wrote:

It's time to tear down the program and start from scratch. You can sell his brand of basketball when you're winning, but this is not entertaining.

They consistently struggle to score 30 in a half, and half scored less than 20 multiple times this season.

Blow it up.
The offense is not out of date as ppl suggest here. They run high pick and rolls, work the ball around, post up game with Happ, and they shoot quite a few 3s. They try to get the best shot possible. And it is working.

They just are not that talented and cant make shots. They dont have a guy that can go 1:1 whenever he wants other than Happ but 1 guy wont cut it. And Happ cant shoot. So defense can shut happ down and force others to make shots.

They are currently beating the number 2 team in the nation and will probably hold them to 50 points. Lol....

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#834 » by sdn40 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:36 pm

If that's what #2 looks like ......
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#835 » by MAC1987 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm

sdn40 wrote:If that's what #2 looks like ......
Give credit to the defense.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,451

Post#836 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm

I haven't watched a ton of college hoops this year but Michigan is a top team? Yuck
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
mkegb
Bench Warmer
And1: 548

Post#837 » by mkegb » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm

I’m not really a fan of Davidson, he hustles but makes too many bad decisions and isn’t a good shooter.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#838 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:42 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I haven't watched a ton of college hoops this year but Michigan is a top team? Yuck

They're really off their game today. Maybe us, maybe them, probably both. One of their top guys is a freshman who puts up like 17 per game and he has 0 today.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#839 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Of course that goes in.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#840 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm not sure what Belien can argue about here? His Freshman made a stupid mistake. Not anyone's fault but their own.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks