ImageImage

ATL: Finals (Dwight dealt for Mozgov pg 76)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,620

Re: ATL: Finals (Dwight dealt for Mozgov pg 76) 

Post#1541 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm

I mean, to be fair to Charlotte, they swapped Miles Plumlee's albatross contract for a year rental of Dwight, then flipped him for Mozgov and a couple 2nd's, so really they still came out slightly ahead at best, neutral at worst.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,746

Post#1542 » by Licensed to Il » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:18 pm

My point is how hard is it to just stay away from all three of those players?
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1543 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
machu46 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:Kemba to Knicks for their Euro #1 pick last year and #9 this year? Maybe eat Noah's contract if it helps you get more back. Full tank mode next year for top pick.

I don't think the Knicks would have any interest in acquiring Kemba in an expiring contract when they simply will not be competitive this season with or without him.

Its likely his prime spot to go as a FA so you get him in there and his bird rights for the extension. Still, could just wait and sign in FA but that's risky. Knicks are constantly in win now mode so I think they'd be very interested in him. I'm not necessarily saying they should be, but that's how they operate. But yea it was just an idea.

Eh, I don't think the Knicks are in win-now mode at all.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#1544 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Diggr14 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Why on earth wouldn't the Hornets have just waived him? They are paying 17M+ for 2 2nds vs just waiving him. And by waiving him they could have stretched him, etc.

MAN, that's pretty damning though. That's twice in a few years teams have dumped reasonable deals on Dwight for the worst contracts in the NBA.

Say you get a top 10 2nd in 2021. If they eliminate one and done players, you’re looking at acquiring the same value as a late 1st.

Still though, really damning. Once Howard is done with his current contract, he might not get another NBA shot..

I think that's a stretch. Both in top 10 and in the 40th pick being late 1st value. That certainly wasn't the case before when players were coming directly from HS. Enough guys aren't promised 1st rd spots that come back to school, etc.

I'm hoping stories come out at some point. I hear things about him being an annoying "Rah-Rah" guy but I can't see that decimating his value to this degree. There is something else going on here.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1545 » by Diggr14 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
Diggr14 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:Why on earth wouldn't the Hornets have just waived him? They are paying 17M+ for 2 2nds vs just waiving him. And by waiving him they could have stretched him, etc.

MAN, that's pretty damning though. That's twice in a few years teams have dumped reasonable deals on Dwight for the worst contracts in the NBA.

Say you get a top 10 2nd in 2021. If they eliminate one and done players, you’re looking at acquiring the same value as a late 1st.

Still though, really damning. Once Howard is done with his current contract, he might not get another NBA shot..

I think that's a stretch. Both in top 10 and in the 40th pick being late 1st value. That certainly wasn't the case before when players were coming directly from HS. Enough guys aren't promised 1st rd spots that come back to school, etc.

I'm hoping stories come out at some point. I hear things about him being an annoying "Rah-Rah" guy but I can't see that decimating his value to this degree. There is something else going on here.

You may be right. I think 10 spots added value is about right.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,754

Post#1546 » by Ayt » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm curious what Brooklyn does with Howard. He definitely doesn't fit the image I've had of them the last few years.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#1547 » by LuessiT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Ayt wrote:I'm curious what Brooklyn does with Howard. He definitely doesn't fit the image I've had of them the last few years.

I think they buy him out. They should tank this season anyway. It's the first time they hold their own pick.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,139

Post#1548 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm

machu46 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
machu46 wrote:
I don't think the Knicks would have any interest in acquiring Kemba in an expiring contract when they simply will not be competitive this season with or without him.

Its likely his prime spot to go as a FA so you get him in there and his bird rights for the extension. Still, could just wait and sign in FA but that's risky. Knicks are constantly in win now mode so I think they'd be very interested in him. I'm not necessarily saying they should be, but that's how they operate. But yea it was just an idea.

Eh, I don't think the Knicks are in win-now mode at all.

Firsts for everything I suppose. But yea I'm sure they're aware with Zinger down that this year is a wash, but they'll be right back at it the next year and Kemba would fit that plan, the responsible move would be to wait and just sign but when have they ever done the responsible thing. They just handed out like 18 mil per year last offseason to Tim Hardaway. Like I said, just an idea. I don't really know, but I'd guess if Cha called them they'd get a boner and seriously look into it
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1549 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:45 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ayt wrote:I'm curious what Brooklyn does with Howard. He definitely doesn't fit the image I've had of them the last few years.

I think they buy him out. They should tank this season anyway. It's the first time they hold their own pick.

Why not keep the expiring and see if you can collect an asset for it at the deadline?
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#1550 » by LuessiT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Why not keep the expiring and see if you can collect an asset for it at the deadline?

Cause you'll only get an asset by taking on bad long term contracts. I think the goal for the Nets is to sign FA's in 2019, not add more bad salary for picks.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#1551 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:55 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Cause you'll only get an asset by taking on bad long term contracts. I think the goal for the Nets is to sign FA's in 2019, not add more bad salary for picks.

True. I hadn't considered summer of 2019 for them as big players in FA. I think it'd be jumping the gun, although they've handled the residual effects of the Boston trade well so far.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,620

Post#1552 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 pm

I think what Marks has done in Brooklyn is an incredibly underrated rebuild job. He's positioned them as big players in a big market (NYC) for free agency in a couple years, plus has accumulated quite a bit of intriguing young talent on cheap deals (RHJ, LeVert, Jarret Allen, Russell, Dinwiddie) all without having their own 1st round pick for the last 3 years.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#1553 » by Diggr14 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:

True. I hadn't considered summer of 2019 for them as big players in FA. I think it'd be jumping the gun, although they've handled the residual effects of the Boston trade well so far.

They could always punt and pull a Philly.. by giving 3rd tier players like JJ Redick big 1-year deals to act as placeholders.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1554 » by bizarro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think what Marks has done in Brooklyn is an incredibly underrated rebuild job. He's positioned them as big players in a big market (NYC) for free agency in a couple years, plus has accumulated quite a bit of intriguing young talent on cheap deals (RHJ, LeVert, Jarret Allen, Russell, Dinwiddie) all without having their own 1st round pick for the last 3 years.

Completely agree. He's also taken on potential upside in his dealings (albeit limited in that regard) when taking waivers on Okafor and Stauskas. He's done a very admirable job given a s****y hand.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#1555 » by LuessiT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think what Marks has done in Brooklyn is an incredibly underrated rebuild job. He's positioned them as big players in a big market (NYC) for free agency in a couple years, plus has accumulated quite a bit of intriguing young talent on cheap deals (RHJ, LeVert, Jarret Allen, Russell, Dinwiddie) all without having their own 1st round pick for the last 3 years.

I don't know about the underrated part. Marks gets praised every year. Honestly his job hasn't been that hard yet. There was only one direction he could have gone to. Now comes the part where he can actually screw up majorly. Sign his guys to overpaid contracts, miss out on FAs, etc.. Going to be interesting since he has a lot more options now.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#1556 » by LuessiT » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

I don't know about the underrated part. Marks gets praised every year. Honestly his job hasn't been that hard yet. There was only one direction he could have gone to. Now comes the part where he can actually screw up majorly. Sign his guys to overpaid contracts, miss out on FAs, etc.. Going to be interesting since he has a lot more options now.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#1557 » by bizarro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Villanoeyebrows wrote:My point is how hard is it to just stay away from all three of those players?

I can't help but see the above pic as the reverse image to this:

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,276

Post#1558 » by KidA24 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I mean, the Bucks have done similar while completely wasting their first round picks the last 3 years.

Oh wait, the only young talent they have is Sterling Brown.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,666

Post#1559 » by chonestown » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 pm

LuessiT wrote:

To a point I agree because he has done well at a time when the stakes are low for him. However, his drafting has been smart, the trades are the sort of buy-low upside deals that gradually build depth at worst or unearth significantly better talent at best [think the Middleton trade], and he's installed a good young coach and allowed him time and space. As always, success in the NBA is capped by the top-level talent on your team, but they've reached that spot where they have an identity and can pitch to legit elite superstars. As long as Dolan is running the Knicks into the ground, BK has to look intriguing. The hard part of rebuilding is exercising patience. Marks has done that and he's given enough evidence that his acumen goes beyond a simple teardown.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,668

Post#1560 » by Max Green » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:00 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Max Green wrote:You **** kidding me

Once again Dwight gets traded for negative value. Max, you’ve got to see a trend here. 8-)

The trend is that we refuse to buy low on a guy who would be our best Center in the last 5 years.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus

Return to Milwaukee Bucks