ImageImage

OT - Milwaukee sports radio - Another New Station - Page 6

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Thrillwaukee
Ballboy
And1: 27

OT - Milwaukee sports radio - Another New Station - Page 6 

Post#1 » by Thrillwaukee » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:38 pm

I can’t really compare to any other cities, but is sports talk radio in Milwaukee as bad as I think it is?

540:
-Terrible sound quality
-Homer is difficult and obtuse and contrarian for no reason. Overall passive aggressive. Long silences/dead air while he looks something up or something.

1250:
-The Big Show is okay. I wish they would actually talk sports instead of Wendy’s every 15 seconds. Sparky is the only one who seems to want to talk sports. Hearing Butler or Ellerson talk about the NBA is LOL worth.

-Bill Michaels - just lol. Spends half the time advertising some event happening somewhere in Cudahy or something, the other half the time getting people’s names wrong

It’s disappointing because there are a lot of smart callers but neither station really gets to them. I feel like they spend a lot of time talking about what they are going to talk about.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,049

Re: OT - Milwaukee sports radio 

Post#2 » by MVP2110 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:43 pm

Thrillwaukee wrote:I can’t really compare to any other cities, but is sports talk radio in Milwaukee as bad as I think it is?

540:
-Terrible sound quality
-Homer is difficult and obtuse and contrarian for no reason. Overall passive aggressive. Long silences/dead air while he looks something up or something.

1250:
-The Big Show is okay. I wish they would actually talk sports instead of Wendy’s every 15 seconds. Sparky is the only one who seems to want to talk sports. Hearing Butler or Ellerson talk about the NBA is LOL worth.

-Bill Michaels - just lol. Spends half the time advertising some event happening somewhere in Cudahy or something, the other half the time getting people’s names wrong

It’s disappointing because there are a lot of smart callers but neither station really gets to them. I feel like they spend a lot of time talking about what they are going to talk about.

I used to hate Milwaukee sports radio and then I moved to GB. It's awful. Almost no opinions given on anything. Pretty much just recaps of what happened. Even most of their packer talk isn't them actually talking about what they think of the team. I miss Milwaukee radio
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#3 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:44 pm

Thrillwaukee wrote:I can’t really compare to any other cities, but is sports talk radio in Milwaukee as bad as I think it is?

540:
-Terrible sound quality

1250:

I'm curious, when do people listen to sports talk radio? In their cars? At their desks? Chilling at home? If I listen in my car, I just turn on SiriusXM to see what they might be talking about, but even that's rare. Twitter and RealGM is a better waste of time when it comes to sports stuff. Same information, faster.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Thrillwaukee
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Thrillwaukee » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:47 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:

540:
-Terrible sound quality

1250:

I'm curious, when do people listen to sports talk radio? In their cars? At their desks? Chilling at home? If I listen in my car, I just turn on SiriusXM to see what they might be talking about, but even that's rare. Twitter and RealGM is a better waste of time when it comes to sports stuff. Same information, faster.

I drive a lot for work and listen if I’m getting sick of music or audiobooks. Don’t have XM radio.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#5 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:51 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:

540:
-Terrible sound quality

1250:

I listen to the Le Batard Show podcast every day, usually first over lunch in my car, then later on the way home and when I'm cooking, cleaning or whatever. That's about 2:20 of listening. I like Bomani's Right Time podcast on Tuesday and Thursday but I save that for the weekend. Now Bomani and Pablo have a daily show that I'm not sure actually works on TV, but it's made for a good 45 minute podcast at night or in the morning before work.
Thrillwaukee
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Thrillwaukee » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

540:
-Terrible sound quality

1250:

I listen to the Le Batard Show podcast every day, usually first over lunch in my car, then later on the way home and when I'm cooking, cleaning or whatever. That's about 2:20 of listening. I like Bomani's Right Time podcast on Tuesday and Thursday but I save that for the weekend. Now Bomani and Pablo have a daily show that I'm not sure actually works on TV, but it's made for a good 45 minute podcast at night or in the morning before work.

By the time you listen to the podcast, isn’t it old news?

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#7 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:53 pm

Michaels has really gone downhill and gotten lazy over the years. His show is essentially a three hour commercial block at this point. He's not a bad Packers guy but needs to be pretty much a specialized post game show type guy. I really appreciate him running with the ball RE: the Bucks arena and calling out local leadership but when he interviews non football guests it's flat out embarrassing as you can hear him typing and clicking his mouse the entire time not listening to the guests answers. I think PP equated him to Handsome Dan from Wayne's World 2 which is hilarious and dead on accurate. Really wish they brought Jim Rome back to that spot. He's an acquired taste but I think that station needs a national guy to break up the monotony. Even if you don't like Rome's format, I think you can appreciate the fact that he has the balls to ask tough questions and give a great interview.

The Big Show is so blatantly first take. Clearly in their production meetings they bring up an issue and figure who's gonna take which side. I get it. Their job is to stir the pot and get people to call in and disagree but they're so in your face about it. Sparky used to be great but he's way too defensive now (especially when someone rightly calls out his friend Big Boy woelfel as a hack). Ramie does a decent job of moderating but he's got to stop the pandering and fake laughter at everything Gary and Leroy say. I do love Leroy, partly because of his legacy but he also comes off as the most genuine of that crew. That show is also too long and similar to Michaels just way too many commercials during non commercial air time. Ellerson I will say has gotten better over the years while Sparky has regressed.

Tim Allen is decent on the post game show for the crew, but hilariously bad with the homer takes.

I've really become a fan of Homer over the years. I'd listen more but as previously noted, the signal quality is so bad. I mostly stick to the Fan because it's broadcast over both AM and FM, so one of the two is gonna come in clear at all times. The thing I like most about Homer is he genuinely takes the time to listen to callers takes and addresses them without an agenda. Feels like an actual conversation moreso than the Fan which almost universally comes off like a twitter flame war.

920 is underrated but for some reason, likely because they're still pretty new, I always forget they are on the air. Their afternoon's biggest asset is when they get Ted Davis on. He's really gonna be missed when he retires. They also have some really really bad country song as their theme music in the afternoon that is so terrible it makes me turn the station.

All in all though, I can't complain in general. Improvements can be made but I think it's great for a market as small as Milwaukee to have 3 (four if you count the flagship) choices to choose from.
Do it for Chuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#8 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:56 pm

Thrillwaukee wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

By the time you listen to the podcast, isn’t it old news?

I don't listen for the news, I listen to the LBS for the laughs. I listen to Bomani because of the commentary.
Thrillwaukee
Ballboy

Post#9 » by Thrillwaukee » Wed Jun 6, 2018 2:59 pm

I totally forgot 920 was a sports station, I’ll have to check that out.

Also not joking - how does Tim Allen know so much about baseball if he’s blind? Like how can he make accurate assessments on players? I don’t mean to be rude.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:12 pm

There is no "news" on any of these shows so if you listen later via podcast it's fine. I don't listen to any of them anymore.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#11 » by M-C-G » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:16 pm

I've come around on the Big Show, but I completely understand why anyone wouldn't like it. The guys each have their schtick which can get tiresome, but overall, I like it enough.

Michaels, I don't understand the appeal unless he is talking about the Packers. I do appreciate that he has called out the Bucks team and Jason Kidd to the point where he was being really honest and critical, but beyond that he does not seem knowledgeable at all.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#12 » by M-C-G » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:16 pm

Thrillwaukee wrote:I totally forgot 920 was a sports station, I’ll have to check that out.

Also not joking - how does Tim Allen know so much about baseball if he’s blind? Like how can he make accurate assessments on players? I don’t mean to be rude.

Drew Olson is somewhat entertaining. But almost every time I switch it on, it is some national syndication.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#13 » by M-C-G » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:21 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:I'm curious, when do people listen to sports talk radio? In their cars? At their desks? Chilling at home? If I listen in my car, I just turn on SiriusXM to see what they might be talking about, but even that's rare. Twitter and RealGM is a better waste of time when it comes to sports stuff. Same information, faster.

About 20 minutes a day in the car, sometime I will stream it while I work, but usually reserve that time for Locked On Bucks podcast in season.

True story, I filed a BBB complaint against SiriusXM for not cancelling my subscription knowingly for a year, then jacking up the price at auto renewal which they said they turned off. When I found out I still had it running, I tried to cancel online and there was an "error" about 10 times over the course of two weeks. Then it gave you a number to call cancel which was mysteriously experiencing "technical issues" about another 10 times over the course of two weeks at which point I was furious.

Made the complaint and Sirius sent me a full settlement for something like 3 years of service, but I couldn't so much as get someone to talk to me until I filed that complaint, which sucks because I loved the fantasy sports station they had, but those guys are straight crooks. When I looked into past complaints I found that they were sued and over this type of behavior in the past and as part of the settlement would make changes to fix those problems, which was in like 2014, which they obviously didn't given it was just last year that I finally was able to cancel.
Thrillwaukee
Ballboy

Post#14 » by Thrillwaukee » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:22 pm

Bill Michaels wife/fiancé is a smoke show. I remember talking to her on a dating site once but we never met.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#15 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:35 pm

540:
-Terrible sound quality

I listen to Wilde and Tausch. They have quality analysis and guests. They have Shaq on right now as a type this, and have plenty of Packers on.
SupremeHustle wrote:
I'm curious, when do people listen to sports talk radio? In their cars? At their desks? Chilling at home?

You can stream 540 with the ESPN app. They also archive segments of their shows for podcasts through the app. They cut out all the commercials and most of the filler. I play those at work or in the car.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,615

Post#16 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:36 pm

Cronus pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of 1250 goes. I've drastically cut back my time listening to local radio and have just somewhat stuck to podcasts (Locked on Bucks, Lowepost etc.).

It use to irk me with how much they would talk Packers year round, especially the morning show and Big Show because they are local Milwaukee shows and have two pro sports teams in their backyard that they would regularly ignore. And people would tell them to talk more Bucks and then Gary Ellerson would get mad yell at the people for not calling in. But I've come to realize, even though I wanted them to talk more Bucks, when they did... it was bad.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#17 » by mlloyd10 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:49 pm

Chuck and Bart is the best of the three because those guys aren't fake.

If they dont know something, they dont make **** up.

Bill Michaels is annoying and arrogant...i want to punch Radio joe

The Big show is ok - Gary has gotten alot better in the past 3-4 years. Rami is fine along as he doesn't laugh

LeRoy needs to stick to football when he has options on things. His options on the NBA is laughable like saying Draymond Green is a top 5 player.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#18 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 3:53 pm

MTC....
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,047

Post#19 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 4:28 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Michaels has really gone downhill and gotten lazy over the years. His show is essentially a three hour commercial block at this point. He's not a bad Packers guy but needs to be pretty much a specialized post game show type guy. I really appreciate him running with the ball RE: the Bucks arena and calling out local leadership but when he interviews non football guests it's flat out embarrassing as you can hear him typing and clicking his mouse the entire time not listening to the guests answers. I think PP equated him to Handsome Dan from Wayne's World 2 which is hilarious and dead on accurate.

Both Bill Michaels and Homer are capable of some great commentary and sports radio. The challenge is neither of them are particularly invested in anything else other than the Packers. And the reason for that is because they know this market won't support sports talk radio that focuses on the Bucks and Brewers.

But that actually has forced me to Sparky, Woelfel and the Big Show because those guys do talk Bucks. Somedays it might be bad Bucks talk (or takes) but bad Bucks talk is better than no Bucks talk for me.

There was a good story yesterday noting that the Bucks got $200mm from Fox Sports for the local TV rights over the next six-years. That is a STUNNING number and one that the Kohl era business people have to be amazed at. Most of this is due to Giannis. So, the era of Bucks sports radio may be emerging if LED can ever figure out how to put a really good team around him.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Garden Of Edens
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#20 » by Garden Of Edens » Wed Jun 6, 2018 5:05 pm

I used to listen to the big show all the time but they turned me off after they start talking politics and all Ellerson does is race bait.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks