ImageImage

Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#1241 » by Diggr14 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 am

I was pining for this guy pre-draft... and loved the pick when Horst made it.

Brass balls on the guy, great pick. I think he’s going to be a Buck for a long time.

On the other hand, I saw DJ Wilson and Thon got their options picked up. We really need to dust off that DJ wilson thread. That pick was not so great by Horst- or was that the residual do-do from the Kidd/Hammond brain trust.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#1242 » by HKPackFan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 am

drone3 wrote:Missing a free throw and spilling a drink on court are pretty iconic plays

"SCREW YOU GUYS!! IMMA OUTTA HERE!"

#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1243 » by AussieBuck » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:06 am

Guessing he'll be at least a +3 dude by next season. **** brilliant pick, no doubt left after he tea bagged the Raptors with that end of quarter 30 footer.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#1244 » by HKPackFan » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 am

AussieBuck wrote:Guessing he'll be at least a +3 dude by next season. **** brilliant pick, no doubt left after he tea bagged the Raptors with that end of quarter 30 footer.

Read on Twitter

Dagger.

#FreeChuckDiesel
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1245 » by AussieBuck » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:39 am

HKPackFan wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Guessing he'll be at least a +3 dude by next season. **** brilliant pick, no doubt left after he tea bagged the Raptors with that end of quarter 30 footer.

Read on Twitter

Dagger.

Ah that sucks it's the measuring up that leads to it that paints the size of his basketball wang.

emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1246 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:43 pm

DiVincenzo is what Nemanja Nedovic should’ve been if his NBA potenial was realized. That’s for a small number of people. Maybe zero.
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1247 » by craig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Brewhoopfan wrote:I'm surprised at how quickly DDV can get his shot off. Almost too quickly, IMO, as it looks like he rushes it. He certainly doesn't need much daylight..

Good point, agree 100%. Gets it off so VERY quickly, that **IF** he can make a high %, he's got the chance to become a volume shooter too. But yeah, it seems so quick that it looks rushed/off-balance at times, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to sustain a really useful % if he shoots a lot. Hopefully the consistency and accuracy improves and he'll get his % up to an asset level. Maybe evolve into an asset-% gunner even with volume shooting.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#1248 » by Nowak008 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:59 pm

My inside sources tell me the Celtics called and offered us Tatum + Brown + the Kings pick for DDV but we smartly turned it down.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#1249 » by chonestown » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm

If there is justice in this consarned world, WD habitually addresses Henson as "Jawn."
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#1250 » by jmart762 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:25 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:You think Kidd runs a play like this for a rookie?

I mean, did he run plays for anyone?
Double point guard alley oop. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-bucks-are-exploiting-defenses-with-unique-point-guard-to-point-guard-alley-oop/

Which lasted a good couple of games before teams recognized it and we still forced it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using RealGM mobile app
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,416

Post#1251 » by MiltownHawkeye » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Given I was one of the few people who saw the Bucks/Wolves game in Iowa, I'm just glad my eye test/praise for DDV where I said he looked like a quicker more dynamic Brogdon hasn't aged poorly.
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,747

Post#1252 » by emunney » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:38 pm

You've got to recognize DDV for busting the mold and not doing the Jordan shrug like **** everybody else would have done here:

Iconic NCAA Finals moment.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,375

Post#1253 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 pm

HKPackFan wrote:

Read on Twitter

Dagger.

In an alternative universe, Kidd is coach and tells him he isn't allowed to shoot threes until he develops his post game some more. Got to love Bud giving guys the freedom to chuck, but chuck responsibly.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,375

Post#1254 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

jmart762 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:You think Kidd runs a play like this for a rookie?

I mean, did he run plays for anyone?
Double point guard alley oop. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-bucks-are-exploiting-defenses-with-unique-point-guard-to-point-guard-alley-oop/

Which lasted a good couple of games before teams recognized it and we still forced it.

Just having off ball action is so damn refreshing. DDV is a guy that just knows how to play basketball. Between adding Ersan and Lopez, it is like our entire BBIQ doubled over night.
jmart762
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#1255 » by jmart762 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:36 pm

M-C-G wrote:
jmart762 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:I mean, did he run plays for anyone?

Just having off ball action is so damn refreshing. DDV is a guy that just knows how to play basketball. Between adding Ersan and Lopez, it is like our entire BBIQ doubled over night.
Funny thing is this play would work well with DDV

LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#1256 » by LuessiT » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:51 pm

I feel validated in how I judged his abilities pre draft, but I drew a somewhat wrong conclusion overall. Few takes I had that turned out true or not:

- Not as good of a shooter as some were saying - mostly true
- Good playmaker but not a good ball handler - true
-> Won't be able to utilizie his playmaking skills due to being an off-ball player - wrong. Bud's system is definately helping him but it seems like I generally underestimate playmaking skills when not paired with ball handling skills
- Active defender but bites on fakes, often out of position - first part true, second false
-> Won't be a positive defender - mostly false. Definately underrated his quick twitch athleticism on defense. Seems to excel at chasing after quicker guards and has a knack for blocks.
- Athleticism isn't functional, won't show up on the box score except on rebounds - true for offense, mightily false for defense. The way he recovers on defense is amazing.
- Elite rebounder - true

The only part where Donte has been worse than I expected is shooting-percentage. Everywhere else he's met or surpassed my expectations so far.
craig
Senior
And1: 128

Post#1257 » by craig » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:59 pm

The good rebounding is really nice.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#1258 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:26 pm

I know Donte's had some moments, and makes some real nice basketball plays, but his shooting remains a concern. Just 18% from 3 (including a bank job in Portland) and 36% overall in six November games. Most of his misses haven't really even been close and he looks like he's tightening up.

I'd start to give more of his minutes to Patty C and, if Donte's shooting doesn't come around by end of November, give Sterling a shot.
MidnightBuck
Junior
And1: 219

Post#1259 » by MidnightBuck » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:08 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:I know Donte's had some moments, and makes some real nice basketball plays, but his shooting remains a concern. Just 18% from 3 (including a bank job in Portland) and 36% overall in six November games. Most of his misses haven't really even been close and he looks like he's tightening up.

I'd start to give more of his minutes to Patty C and, if Donte's shooting doesn't come around by end of November, give Sterling a shot.

As far as his shot goes, I think the kid's just having some rookie nerves. He was a consistent shooter at Nova and has shown flashes in the NBA thus far this year. Once he gets really comfortable in the NBA his shot will fall at a more reasonable clip (I'd predict 35%ish by year-end). Also, the most valuable thing he's given the team so far is his defense. He's been, I'd argue, the best perimeter defender on the team this year. Connaughtan has looked fantastic, but he's not a 30 minute per night guy. He, like Donte, is a burst of energy guy. They are doing a nice job keeping each other fresh and the team is playing well with either of them on the floor. Let's not create an issue where there isn't one.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,723

Post#1260 » by msiris » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:26 pm

MidnightBuck wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:I know Donte's had some moments, and makes some real nice basketball plays, but his shooting remains a concern. Just 18% from 3 (including a bank job in Portland) and 36% overall in six November games. Most of his misses haven't really even been close and he looks like he's tightening up.

As far as his shot goes, I think the kid's just having some rookie nerves. He was a consistent shooter at Nova and has shown flashes in the NBA thus far this year. Once he gets really comfortable in the NBA his shot will fall at a more reasonable clip (I'd predict 35%ish by year-end). Also, the most valuable thing he's given the team so far is his defense. He's been, I'd argue, the best perimeter defender on the team this year. Connaughtan has looked fantastic, but he's not a 30 minute per night guy. He, like Donte, is a burst of energy guy. They are doing a nice job keeping each other fresh and the team is playing well with either of them on the floor. Let's not create an issue where there isn't one.
Patty C has been the better player.
Ride the tank

Return to Milwaukee Bucks