Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#641 » by H2tObes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 am

I do believe Bud will find great use for him
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#642 » by xTitan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:46 am

When does summer league start?? I'm going to have to DVR some games this year........would've have been spectacular to see SPellman join DD had that Atlanta deal gone down.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#643 » by crkone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:47 am

He's about the same size as Jrue.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ajb905
Rookie
And1: 310

Post#644 » by ajb905 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:56 am

DrWood wrote:
ajb905 wrote:
Prez wrote:Saw this comp earlier in the thread, how is Gary Harris as a comp?

Probably like most comps: extremely optimistic. Harris was a focal point of MSU his freshman year.

Smallish combo guards are limited defensively. He seems heady, so should be fine. But I don't think will provide a lot of value on that side. His shooting and decision making (ball movement) seem to be his key strengths. Doesn't have much creation potential. When he gets to the rim its typically crafty, as even though his combine measurements jump off the page, he's a 2 footed jumper and those values don't translate to functional great athleticism (he's fine).

He's 6'5" and extremely athletic.

JFC, who have you guys been watching?

He has a 8 ft 1 in standing reach and 6 ft 6 in Wingspan. Those are close to avg PG measurements. Height isn't as important functionally.

He's great athlete measurement wise, but probably an avg functional NBA athlete. In game he might jump high for a rebound if he has time to load off of 2 feet and can run well in a break. But he's not going to have a significant advantage athletically.

http://analyticsgame.com/nba/average-nba-position-draft-measurements.html
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#645 » by xTitan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:57 am

Looking at Donovan Mitchell's numbers vs DD's their last year in college and I thought more people would be excited about this pick. The numbers are pretty similar, both strong, athletic, smart...good handles.....just saying.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#646 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 am

xTitan wrote:Looking at Donovan Mitchell's numbers vs DD's their last year in college and I thought more people would be excited about this pick. The numbers are pretty similar, both strong, athletic, smart...good handles.....just saying.

I see some Donovan Mitchell but didn't say anything because I didn't want to get attacked.
#FreeChuckDiesel
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#647 » by raferfenix » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:45 am

Read on Twitter
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,838

Post#648 » by VooDoo7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 am

What number will he be wearing? #10?
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#649 » by skones » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 am

xTitan wrote:Looking at Donovan Mitchell's numbers vs DD's their last year in college and I thought more people would be excited about this pick. The numbers are pretty similar, both strong, athletic, smart...good handles.....just saying.

Except Donovan Mitchell has elite length and explosiveness.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#650 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:14 am

The thing that stuck with me long before we drafted him was a Jay Wright quote "we teach our players that they are never more open than when they first get the ball". I remember thinking we need more players and coaches like that.
slappyg
Junior
And1: 269

Re: RE: Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#651 » by slappyg » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 am

RRyder823 wrote:
randy84 wrote:Need to think of a white dude comparison.

Nik Stauskas.
a bigger more athletic Delly

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app

Rex Chapman would be my comp. This is the most excited I have been about a pick in a long time(excluding when we had #2). Donte is going to be alot of fun to watch and is going to be a great fit. Just need him to stay healthy and all the naysayers will be jumping on the bandwagon.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,527

Post#652 » by th87 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:24 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
GoBrewersGo wrote:My biggest knock on him is his wingspan. I can maybe see why his skill set would intrigue Bud though.

The Spurs preach the .5 second rule where in a half of a second, a player either needs to make the decision to shoot if they're open, pass, or attack the closeout. Villanova's system appears to do some of that, and DiVincenzo seems to have that skill set. He kind of reminds me of a JJ Barea type player, though, obviously DDV is taller and can jump higher, but have a similar style. Maybe I'm wrong on that comparison. I think it was Seth Greenberg who compares him to Bobby Sura.

On a sidenote, I'm wondering if DiVincenzo will attempt to participate in the dunk contest.

Sent from my SM-J727P using RealGM mobile app

Dude, I was just about to say Bobby Sura. I can see that from what I've seen of him. I'd take it.

I say more Wes Welker or Jeff Query
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#653 » by LuessiT » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 am

Look, I didn't like DDV. I thought there were better options we should have selected over him.

That said, DDV brings a lot of skills we truely need here. First off, he's a true competitor. That is a skill that is super underrated. When the game is on the line, he's going to make the extra effort play. That is something I liked about Malik Newman (and that is why I'm really sad he signed with LA). Secondly, Donte is a solid shooter. I say solid because I'm not sold on his shooting. He's a 70% FT shooter and just shot over 40% in his first year. I don't really trust his shooting.
He's also a good decision maker - probably his #1 skill. He can pass, he can attack closeouts and he can score at the rim. He's perfect as a 5th option that has to make decisions on the perimeter.
Also, he's an excellent rebounder. He's not going to box out his opponent and secure another rebound but he's going to go after the rebounds noone is going after. Not sure how many posetions he's going to add exactly but it's going to be sizeable.

So basicly he's going to do the little things (extra effort, rebounding, etc.) while doing the required (shooting, passing) so I'm not upset with the pick. If we managed to trade back and still get him it would have been a home run. Without that I'm a bit worried we missed out on elite positional talent (Okobo, Spellman). But all in all I'm confident our selection was much better than last year.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#654 » by midranger » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:37 am

I too am fairly confident that we drafted someone better than one of the worst G League players in this year's first round.

Kudos to all involved.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Douggystyle29
Junior
And1: 37

Post#655 » by Douggystyle29 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 am

I'm very happy with the pick. I think he was my second choice behind Zhaire Smith.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Re: RE: Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#656 » by crkone » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:40 am

skones wrote:

Except Donovan Mitchell has elite length and explosiveness.
Donovan has 4 inches on his wingspan and 2 inches on his standing vert but is shorter, has less of a standing reach, and DD has 2 inches on Donovan's max vert.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#657 » by JayMKE » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:44 am

more intriguing than DJ Wilson
FREE GIANNIS
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#658 » by AussieBuck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 am

Prez wrote:Saw this comp earlier in the thread, how is Gary Harris as a comp?

As I said I was purely going off descriptions from the board and his measurements. Low standing reach, shooter with some ball skills, hustle defender. Mental image to me reading that was Gary Harris.

I've watched some video now and I dunno who he compares to. I'm warming to the pick. Still bummed we didn't get Z Smith.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#659 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 am

VooDoo7 wrote:What number will he be wearing? #10?

No...Todd Day has been hanging in the rafters for a while and 10 is not available.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#660 » by freewhitemoon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:09 am

DrWood wrote:He's 6'5" and extremely athletic.

JFC, who have you guys been watching?

I can't imagine you have watched him much in games and came away believing he'd be an elite athlete at the NBA level. For all this stuff about his vertical, he has no highlight dunks and really only dunks on uncontested fast breaks. On defense his athleticism looks about average.

I didn't like the pick but he does have some good qualities, especially if his jumper translates. He plays hard and has good speed but he's not extremely athletic lol

Return to Milwaukee Bucks