Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#661 » by bizarro » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:22 am

freewhitemoon wrote:
DrWood wrote:He's 6'5" and extremely athletic.

JFC, who have you guys been watching?

I can't imagine you have watched him much in games and came away believing he'd be an elite athlete at the NBA level. For all this stuff about his vertical, he has no highlight dunks and really only dunks on uncontested fast breaks. On defense his athleticism looks about average.

I didn't like the pick but he does have some good qualities, especially if his jumper translates. He plays hard and has good speed but he's not extremely athletic lol

To chime in, he does indeed have elite athleticism. NBA athleticism. The vert is one thing - it's superb tying best for max vert. BUT, it's really the other tests - namely, lane agility, 3/4 court, and shuttle where he finished 5th (10.78), 9th (3.11), and 11th (3.11). Those are really really good results. You are looking at a definitive NBA athlete. And, for reference sake: Steph Curry max vert 35.5". Lane agility 11.07. 3/4 court 11.07.

SOooooo, what this tells you is: DD comes in a guy who moves as quickly as Darren Collison with a 10" better max vert.

You're nuts - patently nuts - if you think that isn't elite NBA athleticsm. Seriously.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#662 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:23 am

I can't help but wonder what people would think about this pick if he was dark skinned. My guess is no one would use Bobby Sura as a comp.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#663 » by freewhitemoon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 am

bizarro wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:
DrWood wrote:He's 6'5" and extremely athletic.

JFC, who have you guys been watching?

I can't imagine you have watched him much in games and came away believing he'd be an elite athlete at the NBA level. For all this stuff about his vertical, he has no highlight dunks and really only dunks on uncontested fast breaks. On defense his athleticism looks about average.

I didn't like the pick but he does have some good qualities, especially if his jumper translates. He plays hard and has good speed but he's not extremely athletic lol

To chime in, he does indeed have elite athleticism. NBA athleticism. The vert is one thing - it's superb tying best for max vert. BUT, it's really the other tests - namely, lane agility, 3/4 court, and shuttle where he finished 5th (10.78), 9th (3.11), and 11th (3.11). Those are really really good results. You are looking at a definitive NBA athlete. And, for reference sake: Steph Curry max vert 35.5". Lane agility 11.07. 3/4 court 11.07.

SOooooo, what this tells you is: DD comes in a guy who moves as quickly as Darren Collison with a 10" better max vert.

You're nuts - patently nuts - if you think that isn't elite NBA athleticsm. Seriously.

I guess this guy is the best athlete in the NBA then?

Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,769

Post#664 » by Baddy Chuck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:36 am

HaroldinGMinor wrote:I can't help but wonder what people would think about this pick if he was dark skinned.

This thinking works a lot better if most people at 17 didn't want the whitest player since Larry Bird.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#665 » by bizarro » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 am

freewhitemoon wrote:
bizarro wrote:
freewhitemoon wrote:

I guess this guy is the best athlete in the NBA then?

DUDE. You are out of your element. Connaughton is an elite athlete, yes. And, he's actually a nice rotation player for the Blazers (I live in Portland). BUT, THOSE NUMBERS ARE NOT MADE UP. There's a significant difference between athleticism, basketball athleticism, and speed of gameplay. Man, I don't even know why I'm talking to you. Whatever.
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#666 » by TD75 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:47 am

No matter what people might think about DDV, he might already be one of our top guys in terms of mentality. Sometimes this is undervalued, but, especially in this Bucks roster, this can be very important.

I can't help but feel that what Bud mentioned in the interview after the pick is interesting

"For me personally, to get to coach a competitor like him, that's really, probably the first characteristic you want to look for in players is that competitive spirit; I think he is an elite competitor ..."
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
freewhitemoon
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,351

Post#667 » by freewhitemoon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:54 am

bizarro wrote:
DUDE. You are out of your element. Connaughton is an elite athlete, yes. And, he's actually a nice rotation player for the Blazers (I live in Portland). BUT, THOSE NUMBERS ARE NOT MADE UP. There's a significant difference between athleticism, basketball athleticism, and speed of gameplay. Man, I don't even know why I'm talking to you. Whatever.

I'm confused. You're the one using his combine numbers to say he's an elite athlete. My point was that his in game athleticism isn't as good as his vertical and stuff suggest.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Post#668 » by buckboy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 am

SupremeHustle wrote:
GoBrewersGo wrote:My biggest knock on him is his wingspan. I can maybe see why his skill set would intrigue Bud though.

The Spurs preach the .5 second rule where in a half of a second, a player either needs to make the decision to shoot if they're open, pass, or attack the closeout. Villanova's system appears to do some of that, and DiVincenzo seems to have that skill set. He kind of reminds me of a JJ Barea type player, though, obviously DDV is taller and can jump higher, but have a similar style. Maybe I'm wrong on that comparison. I think it was Seth Greenberg who compares him to Bobby Sura.

On a sidenote, I'm wondering if DiVincenzo will attempt to participate in the dunk contest.

Sent from my SM-J727P using RealGM mobile app

Dude, I was just about to say Bobby Sura. I can see that from what I've seen of him. I'd take it.

It's a terrible comp. Sura couldn't hit water from a boat.

Edit: Bernman already covered this.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM

Post#669 » by buckboy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:01 am

freewhitemoon wrote:
bizarro wrote:

I'm confused. You're the one using his combine numbers to say he's an elite athlete. My point was that his in game athleticism isn't as good as his vertical and stuff suggest.

You're talking about watching him in games and not being impressed with his athleticism.

I didn't need the combine to tell me he is an elite athlete.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,279

Post#670 » by xTitan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:34 am

I'm sick of all this bull, loved the pick,we'll find out soon enough
buckboy
RealGM

Post#671 » by buckboy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 am

Badgerlander (I think) referenced how good he was in the pick and roll too. Obviously a difference at this level, but I'm getting more excited about this pick.
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#672 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 am

I love Donte, but isn't it a reach when you had Lonnie and even Huerter on the board?
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,457

Post#673 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 am

buckboy wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
GoBrewersGo wrote:My biggest knock on him is his wingspan. I can maybe see why his skill set would intrigue Bud though.

The Spurs preach the .5 second rule where in a half of a second, a player either needs to make the decision to shoot if they're open, pass, or attack the closeout. Villanova's system appears to do some of that, and DiVincenzo seems to have that skill set. He kind of reminds me of a JJ Barea type player, though, obviously DDV is taller and can jump higher, but have a similar style. Maybe I'm wrong on that comparison. I think it was Seth Greenberg who compares him to Bobby Sura.

On a sidenote, I'm wondering if DiVincenzo will attempt to participate in the dunk contest.

Sent from my SM-J727P using RealGM mobile app

Dude, I was just about to say Bobby Sura. I can see that from what I've seen of him. I'd take it.

It's a terrible comp. Sura couldn't hit water from a boat.

Edit: Bernman already covered this.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#674 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:33 am

My bad. I got Bobby Sura confused with Bobby Shmurda.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,003

Post#675 » by midranger » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:06 am

I'm sticking with Delaware Delonte West
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
SupremeHustle
RealGM

Post#676 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:46 am

midranger wrote:I'm sticking with Delaware Delonte West

I can't help but to think you are only comparing him to West because they are both made of skin and bones.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#677 » by pilprin » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:I love Donte, but isn't it a reach when you had Lonnie and even Huerter on the board?

I like Lonnie's game, but the dude seems weird. IMHO he's not that much better to be that weird.

Huerter...just never was a fan...fully admit I did not see enough of him to make a legit judgement, but I don't see how this pick was a reach...even if you preferred one of the others. I like Donte's swagger and confidence. We needed someone with a little piss and vinegar. Its the same reason I would not have been upset with a Graysen Allen selection in the 2nd round...despite the fact that his is a douche on the court. However, every good team has a douche.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#678 » by Ill-yasova » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:13 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
midranger wrote:I'm sticking with Delaware Delonte West

I can't help but to think you are only comparing him to West because they are both made of skin and bones.

Maybe they both had sex with LeBron’s mom?
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Re: RE: Re: Round 1 - Donte DiVincenzo 

Post#679 » by smauss » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:35 pm

xTitan wrote:I'm sick of all this bull, loved the pick,we'll find out soon enough
Amen! Preach!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using RealGM mobile app
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Shy Gorgeous-Al
Junior
And1: 299

Post#680 » by Shy Gorgeous-Al » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm

pilprin wrote:
Shy Gorgeous-Al wrote:I love Donte, but isn't it a reach when you had Lonnie and even Huerter on the board?

I like Lonnie's game, but the dude seems weird. IMHO he's not that much better to be that weird.

Huerter...just never was a fan...fully admit I did not see enough of him to make a legit judgement, but I don't see how this pick was a reach...even if you preferred one of the others. I like Donte's swagger and confidence. We needed someone with a little piss and vinegar. Its the same reason I would not have been upset with a Graysen Allen selection in the 2nd round...despite the fact that his is a douche on the court. However, every good team has a douche.

Don't get me wrong, I love Donte and a fan of him. I think he is dynamic as an offensive player and even as a defensive player. He is underrated in that aspect.

I'm not that big Lonnie guy. However, I do recognize is ceiling on both ends. I think he is very promising though it's tough to judge how good he is going to be be...his celing that is. Very system dependant. As far as personality goes, I definitely agree that i'm drawn more to Donte's.

Huerter is a guy I love as a prospect. I think his game is taylor made for the NBA. Very good all-around offensive player. OBviously he is known for his shooting, but he is excellent in Isolation and creating off the dribble either as a passer or as a scorer. The fact that he such an efficient player from all 3 levels is very big. Good defender as well, though I'm not sure how to predict his defensive floor or ceiling tbh. Very unexpected on that end...shows great defensive awareness and IQ off the ball and good lateral quickness on the ball. Challeneges shots int he paint and always in position. Just don't know how strong and big he is...doesn't have a very big frame, and obviously it's tough to predict how he is going to compete athletically against NBA level athletes.

As far as his personality, Meh. Don't like him in that regard.

So all in all, it's a fine pick I believe. Just that Lonnie was considered a lottery pick and was even projected to be selected around the 9-12 range at some point. Huerter was a late riser just like Donte( though I feel like he was off the radar because he didn't get much exposure), though I think that Huerter has a bigger chance to become a starter and even a good one compared to Donte.

Donte was considered a 2nd round pick just before the combine, so in terms of value it might not look like the best value is what I meant. Who knows what's going to happen really. Nonetheless, I like it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks