ImageImage

The Donte DiVincenzo Decision...

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Was Donte DiVincenzo the best player available at pick 17?

Absolutely YES
14%
Definitely NO
38%
At the time of the draft, YES, but not in the few seasons.
5%
At the time of the draft NO, but he will be in a few seasons.
7%
Your Thon Maker poll was better.
36%

Total votes: 95

TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Re: The Donte DiVincenzo Decision... 

Post#101 » by TD75 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 pm

- Do I believe DDV will be useful (more useful than our last 1st round picks)?
Yes. I am very confident he will contribute, even as early as the coming year. I wish him the best.

- Would have I picked him at 17 before Draft Day?
He was in my list. I am not sure about 17 though. I would have been more comfortable to trade down for him at ~20 and get a (future) second rounder and pick DDV there. What this team needs beyond talent is talent at very low contracts and the draft is the most direct way to acquire them.

- Would have I picked him at 17 on Draft Day knowing what the 1,2, 3, ... ,16 picks were, namely if I was in the in the place of the GM yesterday and it was my turn to announce the pick?
No, it seemed to me that the talent available at that point gave us options with better upside (but maybe not as NBA ready as DDV in my opinion).

- Overall evaluation
Meh. Does not move the needle significantly. However, covers some areas Bucks need talent in.
Unfortunately, Bucks are behind Celtics and Sixers and need players that will make a significant difference. They don't have the picks in the immediate future to acquire them though, unless they are so lucky to get another star at the range they will be picking.

- Highlight of the night
Horst's frantic interview a few minutes after the pick, while the draft was underway. That is when I knew they would not buy a second round pick.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
pack15412
Senior
And1: 285

Post#102 » by pack15412 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 pm

No reason for anyone to get heated about this pick. Time may tell us that better players were available, but this point in the draft is a crap shoot. I'd be downright shocked if he turned out to be a bust of the Rashad Vaughn or DJ Side Show Bob Hair variety, because he shows more basketball ability and looks more athletic than either of them. Vaughn was supposed to be a shooter, but never could. DJ dances OK?

I'd bet a few car payments DDV has a better NBA career than either of them. I think his floor is a solid rotation guy.

As for the leaks, it happens all across the league. Kind of amazing to me the intel Woj and others get and have no idea what motivates teams to leak that anywhere. Happens every draft, we just had the Hawks rub it in our face publicly again like they did the day they were supposed to trade us Josh Smith. Apparently, never do business with the Hawks.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,790

Post#103 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:26 pm

The whole "better than DJ Wilson/Rasahd Vaughn" narrative probably should stop. It really doesn't strengthen any argument for drafting anyone.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#104 » by TD75 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:30 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:The whole "better than DJ Wilson/Rasahd Vaughn" narrative probably should stop. It really doesn't strengthen any argument for drafting anyone.

I imagine the following scenario, a couple of years from now.

Horst in a meeting with the Bucks owners, with a purpose to evaluate his contributions:

"At least my picks were better than DJ Wilson/Rashad Vaughn".

hilarity ensues
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#105 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:46 pm

Guys, I'm going to close this one up and send you to the regular Donte thread.

This was a fine exercise and Supreme got his poll results but now we're trending to the same discussion as here ->

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1717419&start=620
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks