ImageImage

The Donte DiVincenzo Decision...

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Was Donte DiVincenzo the best player available at pick 17?

Absolutely YES
14%
Definitely NO
38%
At the time of the draft, YES, but not in the few seasons.
5%
At the time of the draft NO, but he will be in a few seasons.
7%
Your Thon Maker poll was better.
36%

Total votes: 95

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Re: RE: Re: The Donte DiVincenzo Decision... 

Post#21 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:08 pm

weezybaby856 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:DDV was one of my favorite prospects. I fell in love with his game early in the season when I watched Nova and Xavier play. DDV can do everything and has room to e eventually be very good at doing everything. Hes tough and smart with very underrated athleticism and has that microwave ability to get hot and score in bunches. All aspects we lack in roster construction.

Was I hoping we took Lonnie Walker when he fell? Sure. But I was pretty dead set on Huerter or DDV being the pick so i think we did good getting 1 of those guys.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

We need more posts like this. This was very nice. I wish you were the President of Everything right now.
I cant tell if you're trolling me or not. I'm 100% Italian, of course I'm gonna love a kid named DiVincenzo, it's in my blood lol.

I appreciate the thoughtful and informed take. Also, if he's like a microwave can he be Donte the Microwave Vincenzo? I loved Vinny the Microwave.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: The Donte DiVincenzo Decision... 

Post#22 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:11 pm

I voted your Thon poll was better because this is a very loaded question. Best player available is a really high standard. Like 15 guys were in the running. The other poll had choices covering bases.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#23 » by mke_design » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:12 pm

I’m going to go with the Aaron Nagler approach and say let’s see them take the floor and actually play. That’s my take.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#24 » by Rockmaninoff » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:13 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol. This organization sucks.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#25 » by crkone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:13 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
70% FT is a pretty significant red flag in regards to how well his shooting will translate. It's not a sure thing of course, but it is cause for concern.

Why do you think that? I'm just curious I haven't looked into how good FT% is as a predictor of three point ability translating, but on the surface it seems weird that standing there 15 feet away shooting a stationary shot is the best predictor for him not being able to make 23 foot shots while moving and being guarded.

I agree it seems kind of counter-intuitive but historically it's held pretty true. And it's not really that 3PT% in college isn't an indicator at all, only that FT% is also a pretty strong one. Take a look at Lonzo last year - 42% from three but 69% FT. Obviously that's an anecdote. Here's a pretty good article going further in to it. They also include a link to their (admittedly not-perfect) tool. I can't access it currently, but I believe it predicts DDV to be around a 33-34% 3PT shooter.

36.46% predicted.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#26 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:15 pm

crkone wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
dbrodz7 wrote:
Why do you think that? I'm just curious I haven't looked into how good FT% is as a predictor of three point ability translating, but on the surface it seems weird that standing there 15 feet away shooting a stationary shot is the best predictor for him not being able to make 23 foot shots while moving and being guarded.

I agree it seems kind of counter-intuitive but historically it's held pretty true. And it's not really that 3PT% in college isn't an indicator at all, only that FT% is also a pretty strong one. Take a look at Lonzo last year - 42% from three but 69% FT. Obviously that's an anecdote. Here's a pretty good article going further in to it. They also include a link to their (admittedly not-perfect) tool. I can't access it currently, but I believe it predicts DDV to be around a 33-34% 3PT shooter.

36.46% predicted.

OK, so not too shabby. That's good because I think his success is very much tied into how well his shot translates.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#27 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, that's hard to hear. Some more organizational incompetence, unfortunately. That was the ideal scenario I envisioned; Atlanta coveting a player in our spot and offering us to trade down for their package of two first round picks. We could have had Spellman at 30, who was actually my top option at 17 even. All these types of gaffes have added up to the Bucks having a dearth of depth the last few years.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,574

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Donte DiVincenzo Decision... 

Post#28 » by Frank Nova » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
weezybaby856 wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:
We need more posts like this. This was very nice. I wish you were the President of Everything right now.
I cant tell if you're trolling me or not. I'm 100% Italian, of course I'm gonna love a kid named DiVincenzo, it's in my blood lol.

I'm being 100% sincere, my friend. :)
I appreciate that then lol. I know it's very "non Bucks" to be optimistic but this is a different case for me personally. I genuinely liked the player we took and it's someone I gave a little extra attention to throughout the process because of how impressed I was with him. If DDV went a few picks later or what not, I would've said "love the pick". I'm a legit fan of the player, not just because my favorite team took him, that's just a bonus for me.

RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,114

Post#29 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Could someone break down that tweet for me? I have a hard time seeing them here. Something about we could have drafted down and still had DDV? Is this is a solid source?
mke_design
Analyst

Post#30 » by mke_design » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Rockmaninoff wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does this reflect poorly on us? Woj tipping picks caused the Hawks to nix a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#31 » by H2tObes » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit confused here. Woj and Sham spoil every pick 10 minutes before they come out, don't they?
mke_design
Analyst

Post#32 » by mke_design » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:20 pm

FrieAaron wrote:Could someone break down that tweet for me? I have a hard time seeing them here. Something about we could have drafted down and still had DDV? Is this is a solid source?

It’s from the Hawks GM. He said the tipped picks via twitter and leaking caused him to nix it.

Bernman
RealGM

Post#33 » by Bernman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm

mke_design wrote:How does this reflect poorly on us? Woj tipping picks caused the Hawks to nix a deal.

We recklessly allowed him to have that information before it was absolutely necessary. They should have held the info close to the vest until the end. That was my personal suggestion to leverage teams picking below us, especially ATL w/ the two picks, to offer us a deal if they were targeting specific players.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,638

Post#34 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

mke_design wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does this reflect poorly on us? Woj tipping picks caused the Hawks to nix a deal.

You make the deal before you let it be known who you take. I don't understand why you would make your pick known while you're negotiating the deal. Woj doesn't have a crystal ball. Someone had to have told him within our organization while we were still negotiating a trade with Atlanta.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
mke_design
Analyst

Post#35 » by mke_design » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Bernman wrote:
mke_design wrote:How does this reflect poorly on us? Woj tipping picks caused the Hawks to nix a deal.

We recklessly allowed him to have that information before it was absolutely necessary. They should have held the info close to the vest until the end. That was my personal suggestion to leverage teams picking below us, especially ATL w/ the two picks, to offer us a deal if they were targeting specific players.

Weird. Sounds like a lot of teams are reckless then.

mke_design
Analyst

Post#36 » by mke_design » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:24 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
mke_design wrote:
Rockmaninoff wrote:

You make the deal before you let it be known who you take. I don't understand why you would make your pick known while you're negotiating the deal. Woj doesn't have a crystal ball. Someone had to have told him within our organization while we were still negotiating a trade with Atlanta.

Yet every team has their teams pick tipped.

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#37 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Bernman wrote:

When you're trading in assets and trying to maximize those all you have is information. When someone else gets that intel you lose value.

You would think hedge fund owners would understand that simple financial concept. It should be a strength.
ajb905
Rookie
And1: 310

Post#38 » by ajb905 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This front office inspires no confidence. They tried to keep things close to the vest by closing off workouts. But it seemed like DDV was heavily tied to them the last 48 hours. That they were having discussions about a trade down and that the info leaked causing it to fall apart is embarrassing.
kid idioteque
Analyst
And1: 2,542

Post#39 » by kid idioteque » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Doron Lamb 2.0
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,057

Post#40 » by MVP2110 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 pm

I don't get why it's a big deal considering every team has their picks tipped. Even the best run ones.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Milwaukee Bucks