ImageImage

Clown show continues: leak kills reported 19 & 30 for 17 (page 9)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Re: Clown show continues-leak kills deal 

Post#121 » by averageposter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Unless I'm mis remembering I think woj put us all in the middle of the Doncic trade before Memphis had picked much less Dallas.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#122 » by Nowak008 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't understand how any of this leaks. Wait until the last possible moment in case someone calls you, if nothing happens, call in your pick to the league office. Done.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#123 » by midranger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Nowak008 wrote:I don't understand how any of this leaks. Wait until the last possible moment in case someone calls you, if nothing happens, call in your pick to the league office. Done.

Seems self evident. Better to be an apologist though.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
averageposter
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#124 » by averageposter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm

midranger wrote:
Nowak008 wrote:I don't understand how any of this leaks. Wait until the last possible moment in case someone calls you, if nothing happens, call in your pick to the league office. Done.

Seems self evident. Better to be an apologist though.

I agree with you, but I would guess the reason to share with Woj is Woj shares with you. He's probably as much asset as liability for most of the teams.
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#125 » by PedroGrande » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Its a bad look on the bucks. But everyone is doing it. Its worse for Travis Schlenk to brag about it.

Its like a pro poker player explaining a fish why he played bad. YOU DONT. You shut up and let them make the mistake again and again and profit with it unless you are so insecure that is so important to you to tell the public how good you are.
"Hope isn't a plan"
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#126 » by wichmae » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:16 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
wichmae wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
My scenario is based on accepting Schlenk's timeline, and making logical conclusions based on that. The Bucks were prepared to take DDV at 17. The Hawks engaged with them on talks to move up from 19 to 17 because they were interested in two players who they were concerned wouldn't be there at 17. One of those guys wasn't DDV. Obviously, once the Bucks turned in the pick, if it wasn't one of their guys, that would moot the benefit of moving up because that would assure them that one of their two guys would be there at 19. That would also prevent the Bucks from picking their guy and trading him to Atlanta (which is always how its done).

Once the Hawks saw via social media that the Bucks were planning to take DDV, they pulled out of the trade because they concluded one of their two guys would be there at 19. If Woj/Shams just got that from the conference call, then effectively you're saying that the Hawks were discussing a trade with the Bucks that was already mooted because the Bucks turned in their pick already. You see how that Schlenk's story is absolutely illogical if the leak didn't come from somewhere else?

As to who leaked it? Whether it was DDV, his agent, or someone else, it doesn't really matter. The Bucks control who they leak their pick to. But in this case, I imagine that the Bucks had a board and were discussing who they planned to pick at 17 if all else failed, and they obviously concluded that DDV was the guy they wanted. Now, whether someone with the organization subtly leaked it to the media (which happens all the time), or they told DDV they planned to take him and he/his agent leaked it, is unclear to me.

But saying that Shams/Woj/Givony must have gotten this from the conference call effectively makes Schlenk's story illogical.

Thats a logical way to approach it but then youre assuming Schlenk as a trustworthy source of information. In the timeline based argument were taking mere minutes here. If it was leaked to an agent of DDV they were going at 17 then they would have virtually minutes or maybe even seconds to then leak that information onto a reporter and then that reporter post it on Twitter and minutes/seconds later Schlenk learn about it at virtually the exact same time that it would have taken for him to hear it in the conference call. If there was a 5-6 pick gap here from where pick 15 was made to where DDV was picked I could buy the agent player leak situation but I just dont see a feasible way all that could happen in the allotted timeline to where they would just find out on the call. The most likely scenario is that the ""leak" was from when the Bucks just didnt take their player they wanted and took the one they wanted in DDV. Or that Schlenk in a weird convoluted way is taking a shot at the whole picks being leaked situation. Either way the whole things makes little sense and really benefits basically no one. So why saw it?

As I've already acknowledged in this thread, Schlenk could be full of it, but I don't see the benefit of him making up a story like this. If anything, the story makes it look like he almost gave up an asset to move up for someone who was going to be there at 19. Imagine if the story was reversed - we'd be thanking the heavens that twitter saved Horst from being conned by the Hawks.

As to the mere minutes of this - I don't think the whole scenario has to take place within that 6-8 minute window after the Suns made their pick. The "source" could have very well leaked the Bucks' interest in DDV before the Suns even submitted their pick - as in "if DDV is there at 17, we're gonna take him" or alternatively "the Bucks have told us they're going to take DDV if he's there at 17." Hell, the Hawks might have had this deal in place with the Bucks at 17 before the Bucks were on the clock - contingent on their guy being there at 17. That happens all the time.

Even within that scenario, you've got multiple people involved here and it doesn't sound implausible to me that the facts at Schlenk reported them could take place in that scenario.

One would have to think that this information would have been relayed during the trade talks. Who knows if it was or wasnt, but that would be dealing in bad faith on our part if it wasnt part of the conversation. "Hey well entertain this but we have a guy we really like at 17 so if he's there were taking him". If it truly was a much earlier conversation to the point of informing a player/agent they were going to take a guy at 17 and then mysteriously trade back. Seems like you would burn a bridge with an agent. None of any of this makes really any sense besides just taking it at the logical shallow value.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#127 » by wichmae » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 pm

I truthfully dont think they are true leaks. I think the picks from the call were posted on Twitter and a rival GM made an ill advised statement which got blown out of proportion. This is probably the most likely scenario.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Post#128 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/leaked-nba-draft-picks-helped-hawks-gm-travis-schlenk-avoid-making-trade-181358328.html

Reporters weren’t the only ones breaking draft news before teams were even on the clock. Boston Celtics guard Terry Rozier called Danny Ainge live on Bleacher Report’s draft show, and the president of basketball operations unknowingly told everyone watching he was taking Robert Williams with the 27th pick while the Philadelphia 76ers were still picking at No. 26.

What a clown show that Danny Ainge is running over there.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#129 » by WimpyDeer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 pm

PedroGrande wrote:Its a bad look on the bucks. But everyone is doing it. Its worse for Travis Schlenk to brag about it.

Its like a pro poker player explaining a fish why he played bad. YOU DONT. You shut up and let them make the mistake again and again and profit with it unless you are so insecure that is so important to you to tell the public how good you are.

I agree. This says more about Schlenk than it does Horst.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#130 » by midranger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:27 pm

I'm betting Scary Terry will be punished for that ****.

For us, the dysfunction is to be expected and embraced.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
PedroGrande
Analyst
And1: 731

Post#131 » by PedroGrande » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:31 pm

midranger wrote:I'm betting Scary Terry will be punished for that ****.

For us, the dysfunction is to be expected and embraced.

I feel bad for laughing :D
"Hope isn't a plan"
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#132 » by Gam » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:31 pm

god this board is insufferable some times
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#133 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Its a good thing Woj gets so many scoops.. zero personality.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#134 » by crkone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Donte was in the audience so if there is any video of him on the phone we'll definitely know it was him or his agent spreading the news. Guess we'll have to wait for the draft vid.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
wichmae
RealGM

Post#135 » by wichmae » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:38 pm

crkone wrote:Donte was in the audience so if there is any video of him on the phone we'll definitely know it was him or his agent spreading the news. Guess we'll have to wait for the draft vid.

Yeah the draft vid if they do one like last years will tell a ton.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#136 » by crkone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 pm

wichmae wrote:
crkone wrote:Donte was in the audience so if there is any video of him on the phone we'll definitely know it was him or his agent spreading the news. Guess we'll have to wait for the draft vid.

Last years sounded like Horst was turning down a trade and saying they're keeping the pick.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,768

Post#137 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm

crkone wrote:
wichmae wrote:

Last years sounded like Horst was turning down a trade and saying they're keeping the pick.

Apologist!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#138 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/leaked-nba-draft-picks-helped-hawks-gm-travis-schlenk-avoid-making-trade-181358328.html

Reporters weren’t the only ones breaking draft news before teams were even on the clock. Boston Celtics guard Terry Rozier called Danny Ainge live on Bleacher Report’s draft show, and the president of basketball operations unknowingly told everyone watching he was taking Robert Williams with the 27th pick while the Philadelphia 76ers were still picking at No. 26.

What a clown show that Danny Ainge is running over there.

1. Re-read the title. "Clown show continues" this one act doesn't make someone a clown show, but if you screw up every single thing, yes its a clown show.
2. Danny Ainge has earned the benefit of the doubt.
3. He was disclosing a player they were planning on drafting. He didn't blow up a trade.
BucksStatsGuy
Sophomore
And1: 655

Post#139 » by BucksStatsGuy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Guys, there isn't a conference call. Not sure where you are getting that. Unless they changed it this year. There is a chat room where all 30 teams are in and when someone calls in a pick it gets updated. There isn't some conference call that Woj is tapped into where he's getting info. When it's your turn on the clock, you get a call from the league on a special phone line. And you call them back when you make the pick.

Woj might know somebody in those chat rooms (they are usually team reps), but the pick is already in. He's not getting his info from this chat room, the gains there aren't really that great. I doubt that the Bucks are having discussions with ATL after the pick was in. If Schlenk isn't lying, that really only means that someone leaked it. Occam's Razor here. There is a period in which teams often "decide" who they want, but wait to call it in. I can guarantee during this period that people are texting who they picked, because in their mind, the guy is theirs already. It's stupid. But I know it absolutely happens. Either we called DDV early, again, stupid, or someone leaked it. Either way, it's coming from the team. This isn't a Woj/NBA draft protocol problem.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#140 » by SupremeHustle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 pm

BucksStatsGuy wrote:Guys, there isn't a conference call. Not sure where you are getting that. Unless they changed it this year. There is a chat room where all 30 teams are in and when someone calls in a pick it gets updated. There isn't some conference call that Woj is tapped into where he's getting info. When it's your turn on the clock, you get a call from the league on a special phone line. And you call them back when you make the pick.

Woj might know somebody in those chat rooms (they are usually team reps), but the pick is already in. He's not getting his info from this chat room, the gains there aren't really that great. I doubt that the Bucks are having discussions with ATL after the pick was in. If Schlenk isn't lying, that really only means that someone leaked it. Occam's Razor here. There is a period in which teams often "decide" who they want, but wait to call it in. I can guarantee during this period that people are texting who they picked, because in their mind, the guy is theirs already. It's stupid. But I know it absolutely happens. Either we called DDV early, again, stupid, or someone leaked it. Either way, it's coming from the team. This isn't a Woj/NBA draft protocol problem.

There it is.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks