ImageImage

Clown show continues: leak kills reported 19 & 30 for 17 (page 9)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Re: Clown show continues-leak kills deal 

Post#61 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
How isn't it their problem? They leaked the pick.

Because every single pick leaked.

So what? Is there some rule requiring the Bucks leak the pick?

You aren't understanding how the picks get leaked.

Between the call into the league office, the submission, the card printing, the call to the agent, the information is leaked.

Because every single pick is leaked, it comes back to a breakdown in the team and the league and the agent

Everybody in the Bucks war room could be a sealed room with no phones and it still gets leaked
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,936

Post#62 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

sdn40 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
sdn40 wrote:We don't have nearly enough information. What if the pick was "leaked" once the team knew they were keeping it and not accepting any trade offers on the table?

Then, effectively, you're saying that Schlenk's story is a total lie. A 100% fabrication. Your scenario is impossible based on what Schlenk alleged.

Which, of course, is a possibility. But I find that hard to believe.

There are lots of talks and phone calls - the exact timing is my issue - there is room for overlap

Not in that scenario. Think it through and you'll understand why.
drat456
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#63 » by drat456 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

This is why I hate media leaks. It ruins everything smh
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#64 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

Is our Front office a train wreck or just a slighty incompetent? lulz, choose your side
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#65 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Its the wording of the quote. He said the Hawks pulled back a trade they had in place with the Bucks. If the pick was made, why would they still be actively negotiating with the Hawks?

I don't know the exact logistics or timing - no one does

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick and we’re coming down and we’re actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like,” Schlenk said. “There’s were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take. So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up…"
It's either a lie or the Bucks were actively looking to trade.

ETA: How does a team pull back a trade if the other team already killed it by saying they were keeping the pick?

He says talking to Milwaukee - he doesn't say a deal was in place. You are filling in some gaps to fit a doomsday scenario. I'm just not willing to excuse the idea that there could have been some overlap in the timing when the Bucks decided to keep the pick is all. He does say they pulled an offer - but I still say there could have been overlap there. Either way, there are bigger fish to fry IMO
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,640

Post#66 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:39 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Its the wording of the quote. He said the Hawks pulled back a trade they had in place with the Bucks. If the pick was made, why would they still be actively negotiating with the Hawks?

I don't know the exact logistics or timing - no one does

"Last night, for instance, we had the 19th pick and we’re coming down and we’re actually talking to Milwaukee on the 17th pick, talking about trading up to get a guy we like,” Schlenk said. “There’s were a couple of guys we felt really good about on the 19th pick, obviously Kevin [Huerter] was one of them, and it leaked who Milwaukee was going to take. So, all of a sudden, we were able to pull back out of that deal and keep the draft pick instead of packaging picks to move up…"
It's either a lie or the Bucks were actively looking to trade.

ETA: How does a team pull back a trade if the other team already killed it by saying they were keeping the pick?

Thanks for pointing this out. Here I thought this was one things the Bucks potentially **** up that I was thinking I could give them a pass on. But you're right if this timeline is correct.

Bucks gonna Bucks.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#67 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm over it. What's done is done.

I do find it kind of ironic though that of all the years the Bucks decide to make their draft process private and were super quiet about it, a leak comes out on draft night, potentially costing them a future asset/pick.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,545

Post#68 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 pm

:roll:

It's a "clown show" if DiVincenzo is a complete bust. It's not a "clown show" that we may have missed out on a meager 2nd rounder thanks to Woj being the most successful spoiler of the 21st century. They had plenty of other opportunities to get a 2nd round pick. The outrage is so misplaced here.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#69 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 pm

I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick "meager" when that's been the strength of our drafting the last few years. I think there weren't many opportunities to get a 2nd round pick this year more than most because of that Bulls/Warriors debacle last year.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#70 » by WimpyDeer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I'm over it. What's done is done.

I do find it kind of ironic though that of all the years the Bucks decide to make their draft process private and were super quiet about it, a leak comes out on draft night, potentially costing them a future asset/pick.

Every pick leaked. The Bucks weren't the only ones keeping there cards close to their chest either.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:

Because every single pick leaked.

Between the call into the league office, the submission, the card printing, the call to the agent, the information is leaked.

Because every single pick is leaked, it comes back to a breakdown in the team and the league and the agent

Everybody in the Bucks war room could be a sealed room with no phones and it still gets leaked

No, I'm understanding how picks get leaked. You're just not grasping the logic of how this falls on the Bucks.

Once the Bucks turn in the pick, the trade with the Hawks is done. The Hawks were not in on DDV, so they obviously wouldn't agree to a trade with the Bucks once the pick is turned in.

According to Schlenk, the Bucks and Hawks had a deal to move up for the Hawks to move up from 19 to 17. The Hawks were interested in two players, one of them being Huerter. They had heard that the Bucks were interested in one of their two guys.

Once it was leaked that the Bucks planned to take DDV at 17, the incentive for the Hawks to move up completely dissipated. They knew that one of their two guys would be there at 19.

The only way that leak happens is if the Bucks leak to someone who they're picking at 17. If they seal up the war room, this doesn't happen. The league has no way of being able to leak it until the Bucks tell them who they're taking at 17.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:45 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick "meager" when that's been the strength of our drafting the last few years. I think there weren't many opportunities to get a 2nd round pick this year more than most because of that Bulls/Warriors debacle last year.

You are conveniently ignoring about 10 other aspects of the trade scenario. The Bucks don't know who the Hawks are trading up for, you don't know the Bucks board, or the value at that point.
You are assuming way too many things
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#73 » by wichmae » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 pm

This literally makes zero sense. The draft is held via conference call. The "leaks" (Woj, Shams, and whomever else) come when the picks are made on the call, and submitted to the league rep's at the draft. The league rep then fills out the card to give to the commissioner to be announced. ATL by virtue of being a professional NBA franchise is in this call. Just as 28 other NBA teams are. All the media does is tweet out the information that happens during the call. This legitimately sounds like PR recovery mode and passing the blame onto someone else. ATL knew who the pick was the exact same time the media at the draft found out.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

No, I'm understanding how picks get leaked. You're just not grasping the logic of how this falls on the Bucks.

Once the Bucks turn in the pick, the trade with the Hawks is done. The Hawks were not in on DDV, so they obviously wouldn't agree to a trade with the Bucks once the pick is turned in.

According to Schlenk, the Bucks and Hawks had a deal to move up for the Hawks to move up from 19 to 17. The Hawks were interested in two players, one of them being Huerter. They had heard that the Bucks were interested in one of their two guys.

Once it was leaked that the Bucks planned to take DDV at 17, the incentive for the Hawks to move up completely dissipated. They knew that one of their two guys would be there at 19.

The only way that leak happens is if the Bucks leak to someone who they're picking at 17. If they seal up the war room, this doesn't happen. The league has no way of being able to leak it until the Bucks tell them who they're taking at 17.

They were talking about a deal - nowhere does it say a deal was in place - big difference
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,686

Post#75 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:46 pm

I don't doubt the Bucks had something cooking with Atlanta but it could very well be that there were other things going on that we aren't privy to that led the Bucks to not accept their offer. Schlenk appears to be in CYA mode to me. Also possible the Bucks royally screwed up. Not enough info to say one way or the other.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#76 » by crkone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm

The Bucks also only have 5 minutes on the clock. They have to be on the phone with the league and with Atlanta at the same time drafting a player and brokering a trade. The absolute timing is needed here to actually get who is to blame for this. Was Milt on the phone with the league and someone there spoiled it? Did this happen several minutes before the Bucks were on the clock and Bud decided to call Givony and leak it? Did Horst call Donte several picks early and he DM'd Givony? Was it another team that the Bucks were negotiating with at the same time who deduced who the Bucks were going to draft?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:50 pm

sdn40 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:

Were talking about a deal - nowhere does it say a deal was in place - big difference

Obviously, nothing is set in stone until the trade is submitted to the league office - which it wouldn't be until the Bucks picked whoever the Hawks wanted at 17. But ultimately, that distinction is irrelevant to this scenario because leaking the pick effectively killed the trade even if the Bucks wanted to go forward with it.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#78 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:51 pm

sdn40 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:I wouldn't call a 2nd round pick "meager" when that's been the strength of our drafting the last few years. I think there weren't many opportunities to get a 2nd round pick this year more than most because of that Bulls/Warriors debacle last year.

You are conveniently ignoring about 10 other aspects of the trade scenario. The Bucks don't know who the Hawks are trading up for, you don't know the Bucks board, or the value at that point.
You are assuming way too many things

I'm not assuming anything because I wasn't even talking about the specific Hawks trade. Just the fact that 2nd round picks haven't been "meager" for us in the past and that it seemed more difficult to buy back in this year than any other year. I don't know where the Hawks thing came into play with your post?
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by sdn40 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

Were talking about a deal - nowhere does it say a deal was in place - big difference

Obviously, nothing is set in stone until the trade is submitted to the league office - which it wouldn't be until the Bucks picked whoever the Hawks wanted at 17. But ultimately, that distinction is irrelevant to this scenario because leaking the pick effectively killed the trade even if the Bucks wanted to go forward with it.

Or the pick was leaked because the Bucks decided not to go forward with it - or 10 other scenarios. For instance teams call players all the time and say they are going to draft them. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I'm not willing to go with guilty until proven innocent in this case
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by humanrefutation » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm sitting here trying to imagine a scenario with completely exculpates the Bucks. The only way the Bucks come off with a pass here is if they decided to say no to the Hawks. And then we can argue about whether that was the right move (if they were completely sold on DDV, I'm ultimately fine with it). That wouldn't fit in with the timeline Schlenk claimed here, obviously, but it's possible Schlenk is full of ****.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks