ImageImage

2019 Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,657

Re: 2019 Draft Thread 

Post#1301 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:17 pm

Been watching a lot of highlights of Carsen Edwards the last couple days. He would be an interesting pick if he was still there at 30. A bit small, but has good wingspan and can shoot from Curry quite easily. I just worry about guys like that as they never seem to translate to the next level.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#1302 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Been watching a lot of highlights of Carsen Edwards the last couple days. He would be an interesting pick if he was still there at 30. A bit small, but has good wingspan and can shoot from Curry quite easily. I just worry about guys like that as they never seem to translate to the next level.

Out of everyone in the Bucks range, Edwards seems like the one with the best chance of becoming an all star. His range and the ease in which he gets it off is very Lillard like. And while his combine numbers weren’t great, his in-game athleticism looks way more than adequate.

He’s my #1 option at this point.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1303 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:44 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Been watching a lot of highlights of Carsen Edwards the last couple days. He would be an interesting pick if he was still there at 30. A bit small, but has good wingspan and can shoot from Curry quite easily. I just worry about guys like that as they never seem to translate to the next level.

He's in my top 10 of realistic options at #30, but I prefer Shamorie Ponds if we go with a small guard. Edwards definitely has the potential to be a spark plug gunner off the bench, but I don't really see him becoming more than that even if he reaches his ceiling. His finishing around the rim in particular is worrisome:

2017: 52%
2018: 57%
2019: 49%

2 out of 3 years he was downright pathetic finishing around college level athletes.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,657

Post#1304 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

machu46 wrote:

He's in my top 10 of realistic options at #30, but I prefer Shamorie Ponds if we go with a small guard. Edwards definitely has the potential to be a spark plug gunner off the bench, but I don't really see him becoming more than that even if he reaches his ceiling. His finishing around the rim in particular is worrisome:

2 out of 3 years he was downright pathetic finishing around college level athletes.

I like Ponds, but I worry about his ability to get his teammates involved. He did a lot of 1v5 basketball at St. John's.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1305 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:51 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:

Out of everyone in the Bucks range, Edwards seems like the one with the best chance of becoming an all star. His range and the ease in which he gets it off is very Lillard like. And while his combine numbers weren’t great, his in-game athleticism looks way more than adequate.

I'm not an Edwards fan. We've probably all played with players like him at one point and hated it - he takes every shot - and eventually teammates just stand around because you know he's not going to pass. And he'll kill the team when he's off. Also, he's just not that good a player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#1306 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
machu46 wrote:

I like Ponds, but I worry about his ability to get his teammates involved. He did a lot of 1v5 basketball at St. John's.

He definitely showed a questionable shot selection from time to time. Same goes for Edwards though and I think Ponds showed more as a passer than Edwards ever has. Edwards played on much more talented teams for the most part and just never really created for anyone but himself.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#1307 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
machu46 wrote:

Ponds a good passer though, so I wondering if it was just minimizing opportunity cost?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,192

Post#1308 » by skones » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:07 pm

KZ Okpala has a little Paul George in him. Fresno State Paul George that is. If you're looking for upside and crossing your fingers that 30 turns into a starter/fringe star, he's one of the best bets.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1309 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

skones wrote:KZ Okpala has a little Paul George in him.

He's a guy who could slip. I get a Kelly Oubre type vibe from him - he's not as athletic as Oubre but probably a little smarter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#1310 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:

I'm not an Edwards fan. We've probably all played with players like him at one point and hated it - he takes every shot - and eventually teammates just stand around because you know he's not going to pass. And he'll kill the team when he's off. Also, he's just not that good a player.

Prior to this year though Edwards wasn't like that. His team was good previously and then he lost all the other starters and was the only one left. So this year he was in that 'chucker' type mode you're fearing, which made sense due to how much worse his team was. But previously he was not like that which leads me to believe he does understand team ball and playing the right way. And its important to note that his teams always won, which has been a good trend among late picks Gs who've succeeded lately.

But obviously that's just me watching from afar, I think this will come to them meeting and talking with him and his mindset. If he comes into the league determined to be a Kemba style scorer type player as opposed to understanding his role in the team then I pass. If you get good Bball IQ vibes from him then I'm good with it.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,192

Post#1311 » by skones » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:

He's a guy who could slip. I get a Kelly Oubre type vibe from him - he's not as athletic as Oubre but probably a little smarter.

I think Okpala as FAR ahead of where Oubre was in shot creation when he was coming out of Kansas. I think Okpala's problems are a combination of lack of experience and a really poor situation at Stanford. He's got some shake, and he plays upright using the full range of his size and length to his advantage when he gets into those in between areas. As he gets stronger I think he sees some pretty noticeable gains in explosion which should help him finish over and around guys at the next level.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,980

Post#1312 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:

I'll believe that when Hammond is able to withstand the urge to draft him and his elite length.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#1313 » by LuessiT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:

He has to be the Magic pick. L E N G T H.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#1314 » by leroyjw10 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:

Prior to this year though Edwards wasn't like that. His team was good previously and then he lost all the other starters and was the only one left. So this year he was in that 'chucker' type mode you're fearing, which made sense due to how much worse his team was. But previously he was not like that which leads me to believe he does understand team ball and playing the right way. And its important to note that his teams always won, which has been a good trend among late picks Gs who've succeeded lately.

But obviously that's just me watching from afar, I think this will come to them meeting and talking with him and his mindset. If he comes into the league determined to be a Kemba style scorer type player as opposed to understanding his role in the team then I pass. If you get good Bball IQ vibes from him then I'm good with it.

Agreed. He chucked because he had to. He won't have to in Milwaukee. But I like that he has the scorer's mentality, so it's there when needed.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,980

Post#1315 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

He has to pick the Magic pick. L E N G T H.

And then Tacko Fall in the 2nd. Book it. :)
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#1316 » by emunney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 pm

skones wrote:KZ Okpala has a little Paul George in him. Fresno State Paul George that is. If you're looking for upside and crossing your fingers that 30 turns into a starter/fringe star, he's one of the best bets.

Really like his strength and decisiveness on drives. Anybody who can put it on the deck and get a shoulder past someone at 6-9 I'm going to like.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#1317 » by emunney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

Where I always land on Edwards is that I just need my littles to be better passers.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,059

Post#1318 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:44 pm

Who's the raw kid with interesting measurables and an incredible work ethic in this class that somehow falls to #30?
emunney
RealGM

Post#1319 » by emunney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Who's the raw kid with interesting measurables and an incredible work ethic in this class that somehow falls to #30?

Kabengele I hope.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1320 » by emunney » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm

emunney wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Who's the raw kid with interesting measurables and an incredible work ethic in this class that somehow falls to #30?

Kabengele I hope.

I don't know much about Roby's work ethic, but...

Return to Milwaukee Bucks