mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Re: 2019 Draft Thread 

Post#161 » by mattg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 am

BroncoBuck wrote:
mattg wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Is the emoji at the thought of Herro declaring after this season? Because that is pretty funny.

I think he’s probably a 2 year guy, but if his shot starts falling he could easily go in the first round this year in which case he’d be stupid to not leave.

The emoji was for the hilarious obvious bait post from a salty Wisconsin fan.

I own a Grant Hill Duke jersey, loved Duke growing up. I’m a Wisconsin transplant. Kentucky fans were ready to run Herro out of town during the Duke game. He can’t play defense and is utterly useless when his shots aren’t falling. Him going one and done would be a ridiculous move on his part.

:lol:

Have you ever read a UK message board? They’re ready to fire calipari every game, at every player’s throat for every mistake. So yeah, when duke comes out with their stacked lineup in the first game of the year and shoots the lights out to start the game every team in the country is gonna get run over. But putting significant stock in that game...that’s such a dumb way to evaluate prospects. Duke played their A+ game and stomped and UK played like trash.

I know you have an intense vitriol and wish for Herro to fail so I’m not going to try arguing with you, but safe to say you’re quite wrong when you claim “utterly useless when his shot isn’t falling”
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#162 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm

mattg wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
mattg wrote:I think he’s probably a 2 year guy, but if his shot starts falling he could easily go in the first round this year in which case he’d be stupid to not leave.

I own a Grant Hill Duke jersey, loved Duke growing up. I’m a Wisconsin transplant. Kentucky fans were ready to run Herro out of town during the Duke game. He can’t play defense and is utterly useless when his shots aren’t falling. Him going one and done would be a ridiculous move on his part.

Have you ever read a UK message board?

That'd be like going to an Ohio State football board. I'd rather get root canal.
mattg
General Manager

Post#163 » by mattg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:23 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
mattg wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Have you ever read a UK message board?

That'd be like going to an Ohio State football board. I'd rather get root canal.

Yeah it’s pretty awful. The point being those fans on the whole are absurd so using the idea “they were ready to run X player out of town” as a justification of much of anything is hilarious. Diehard UK fans are like a bunch of inbred magic giannisons.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,659

Post#164 » by BroncoBuck » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:02 pm

mattg wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:
mattg wrote:I think he’s probably a 2 year guy, but if his shot starts falling he could easily go in the first round this year in which case he’d be stupid to not leave.

Have you ever read a UK message board? They’re ready to fire calipari every game, at every player’s throat for every mistake. So yeah, when duke comes out with their stacked lineup in the first game of the year and shoots the lights out to start the game every team in the country is gonna get run over. But putting significant stock in that game...that’s such a dumb way to evaluate prospects. Duke played their A+ game and stomped and UK played like trash.

I know you have an intense vitriol and wish for Herro to fail so I’m not going to try arguing with you, but safe to say you’re quite wrong when you claim “utterly useless when his shot isn’t falling”

I don’t understand where you are coming from with this Herro nonsense. I’m not a diehard Badger fan at all, far from it. I would’ve gone to UK if I was him too, Badgers play style didn’t suit him at all. The point I was making is that Kentucky has played a string of garbage teams and it’s really inflated Herro’s worth. In the two games they played legitimate teams he was ran off the court. He’d be a fool to enter the draft this year, he has way too many flaws in his game.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#165 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 pm

The Duke/Texas Tech game tonight should be fun. I love Jarrett Culver on TT. He's rated a 2nd rounder by NBAdraft.net, but I'm guessing he'll end up a top 10 pick, and the Bucks won't have a chance at him. I'm not sure he has a weakness - maybe a questionable first step? He's at least a Josh Hart level player. But playing against Duke should expose any weakness he has - hopefully he's matched up against Barrett.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#166 » by LuessiT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Ruzious wrote:The Duke/Texas Tech game tonight should be fun. I love Jarrett Culver on TT. He's rated a 2nd rounder by NBAdraft.net, but I'm guessing he'll end up a top 10 pick, and the Bucks won't have a chance at him. I'm not sure he has a weakness - maybe a questionable first step? He's at least a Josh Hart level player. But playing against Duke should expose any weakness he has - hopefully he's matched up against Barrett.

Yeah don't quote nbadraft.net, like... ever. That site is garbage. Most decent mocks have him lottery already. I personally think he's going to end up in the 4-7 range.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#167 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:51 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The Duke/Texas Tech game tonight should be fun. I love Jarrett Culver on TT. He's rated a 2nd rounder by NBAdraft.net, but I'm guessing he'll end up a top 10 pick, and the Bucks won't have a chance at him. I'm not sure he has a weakness - maybe a questionable first step? He's at least a Josh Hart level player. But playing against Duke should expose any weakness he has - hopefully he's matched up against Barrett.

Yeah don't quote nbadraft.net, like... ever. That site is garbage. Most decent mocks have him lottery already. I personally think he's going to end up in the 4-7 range.

What're a couple of good mocks to go by?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,719

Post#168 » by emunney » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:01 pm

Hoopshype has an aggregate mock (with a bunch of individual mocks displayed)

https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/17/zion-williamson-mock-draft-college-basketball-rumors-updates/

Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#169 » by LuessiT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Stepien is pretty good come draft time (they're slow to update). That said I like their articles more than the info on the site itself. Lots of knowledgeable people writing, e.g.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/12/16/jackson-hoys-updated-top-100/

There is always DX (although I think DX draws wrong conclusions - like I agree with every point they make but disagree with their conclusion).

And then there are all major news outlets. Even those are better than nbadraft.net.

There are a few that creep up trying to fill the void of DX but as of right now I haven't seen any that is persistent enough. A few of them in podcast form.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#170 » by LuessiT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:18 pm

emunney wrote:Hoopshype has an aggregate mock (with a bunch of individual mocks displayed)

https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/17/zion-williamson-mock-draft-college-basketball-rumors-updates/

Thanks, haven't seen that one. Could be useful.
emunney
RealGM

Post#171 » by emunney » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:22 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Stepien is pretty good come draft time (they're slow to update). That said I like their articles more than the info on the site itself. Lots of knowledgeable people writing, e.g.

There is always DX (although I think DX draws wrong conclusions - like I agree with every point they make but disagree with their conclusion).

And then there are all major news outlets. Even those are better than nbadraft.net.

There are a few that creep up trying to fill the void of DX but as of right now I haven't seen any that is persistent enough. A few of them in podcast form.

Totally agree on DX. I feel like they just value the wrong things in players. They're really good at describing players and then not great at knowing how good that makes them.
mattg
General Manager

Post#172 » by mattg » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 pm

BroncoBuck wrote:
mattg wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

I don’t understand where you are coming from with this Herro nonsense. I’m not a diehard Badger fan at all, far from it. I would’ve gone to UK if I was him too, Badgers play style didn’t suit him at all. The point I was making is that Kentucky has played a string of garbage teams and it’s really inflated Herro’s worth. In the two games they played legitimate teams he was ran off the court. He’d be a fool to enter the draft this year, he has way too many flaws in his game.

Inflated his worth? Because UK has played some poor teams in the non conference? He’s struggled with his biggest strength so far, if anything his value is suppressed because of that. Even despite him doing other things well that people doubted he might be able to effectively. Like I’ve said repeatedly, I think he’s probably a 2 year player, but it’d be silly to discount the possibility of him going this year.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#173 » by LuessiT » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:52 pm

emunney wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Ruzious wrote:What're a couple of good mocks to go by?

Totally agree on DX. I feel like they just value the wrong things in players. They're really good at describing players and then not great at knowing how good that makes them.

I mean the draft isn't science, it's pseudo-science. There is no defined metric that shows what makes a good NBA player and what doesn't. You see things, you draw conclusions and then you evaluate based on the result.
With enough resources, in theory everyone should see similar things. I mean NBA scouts probably got access to more stuff but there are a lot of things out there for draft nerds. You don't get to see practices but you do get information about them.
Then comes the conclusions you draw from the information you gathered. That is obviously a black box and a major key to drafting. But to me that isn't the only thing that determines good drafting. The evaluation part is another big aspect. Evaluating where you were wrong - and why? I think I learned a lot by being wrong a lot of times and noticing why. I don't see any evolution in DXs approach. They still value the same stuff. No adaption.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#174 » by LuessiT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:55 am

Zion getting the Giannis treatment.
emunney
RealGM

Post#175 » by emunney » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:36 pm

LuessiT wrote:Zion getting the Giannis treatment.

The only way to reliably defend either one of them is to fall down and hope for a whistle. They have different body types but they are extremely similar players.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#176 » by LuessiT » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:05 pm

emunney wrote:

The only way to reliably defend either one of them is to fall down and hope for a whistle. They have different body types but they are extremely similar players.

Their mindset is super similar too. I'm a bit 'worried' about his length in terms of finishing, but more in the sense of 'will he be a 20 or 25 ppg scorer'-way.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,798

Post#177 » by SirChurros » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:07 pm

LuessiT wrote:
emunney wrote:

Their mindset is super similar too. I'm a bit 'worried' about his length in terms of finishing, but more in the sense of 'will he be a 20 or 25 ppg scorer'-way.
6'10" wingspan. He'll be fine. He'd also probably best the most explosive player in the NBA today if he we're an NBA player today.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#178 » by LuessiT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Krispy Kreme wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
emunney wrote:

6'10" wingspan. He'll be fine. He'd also probably best the most explosive player in the NBA today if he we're an NBA player today.

He's going to play the PF spot and with a 6'10 wingspan he's going to be on the shorter end there. I don't see him being an elite finisher. He's probably going to get to the line as much as Harden to be an elite scorer.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#179 » by LuessiT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Brazdeikis is a player but I'm somewhat down on his jumpshot now. Poole may be the better Michigan prospect.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,279

Post#180 » by Finn » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:36 pm

Curious about your take on Livers a year or 2 down the road.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks