ImageImage

Giannis Thread - MVP

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,151

Re: Giannis Thread 

Post#341 » by Willie Colon » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:42 pm

RubberSoul wrote:I love Giannis but his style of being an athletic physical freak that scores primarily on out athleting people probably won’t age well when he hits his 30’s.

Or a major injury.
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
higharc
Junior
And1: 225

Post#342 » by higharc » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:12 pm

https://defpen.com/giannis-antetokounmpo-fainting-goat/

Giannis Antetokounmpo and the Fainting Goat Strategy

(...)

This is why watching others become startled is endlessly pleasing. We get to watch that surprise unfold and then even get to become surprised by their unique reactions. This fascination even translated to animals a few years ago as “fainting goats” became the latest subject to become viral.

(...)

Giannis Antetokounmpo has been in the league for six years but his skill level has never been as high as it is this season. He is averaging an astonishing 25/13/6 and has not needed a jumper to get to the hoop whenever he so desires. His gallops to the rack evoke as much terror as a tornado and his spin move blows you away with a similar wind speed.

What often happens during these stampedes to the hoop is defenders get blown by or pushed back. Giannis is then awarded a dunk, a layup, or a trip to the charity stripe. To offset this, opposing teams have begun to defend Giannis a little differently this season. Their reaction is hilariously goat-esque: Just literally fall to the ground as fast and as convincingly as possible.

(...)

:lol:
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,622

Post#343 » by blazza18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 am

Per bref - Giannis already has 16 offensive fouls. Last season he 39 offensive fouls. He's been a bit unlucky but mostly a lot out of control.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#344 » by HKPackFan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am

blazza18 wrote:Per bref - Giannis already has 16 offensive fouls. Last season he 39 offensive fouls. He's been a bit unlucky but mostly a lot out of control.

Teams are game planning for him to get offensive fouls. It's the only way to stop him and every team is trying it now.

(edit: not stop him, but at least slow him down). No one has stopped him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#345 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:35 am

They do it because it's the only defensive strategy that works: the fainting goat.

Dante80
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#346 » by Dante80 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:26 pm

blazza18 wrote:Per bref - Giannis already has 16 offensive fouls. Last season he 39 offensive fouls. He's been a bit unlucky but mostly a lot out of control.

I think it is a combination of things.

1. Giannis is even stronger this year. You really need a wall like Robin Lopez or Adams to stop him in his tracks and most of the time, the defender is not fast or strong enough to backtrack with him to the rim. If you combine this with the fact that Giannis does not have a credible perimeter/midrange shot, the defender sags off and has a limited but still available time to position himself for the charge. Some of those chargers are not even planned, but simply a combination of the defender being completely off-balance backtracking and Giannis bumping on him, thus sending him hilariously out of bounds.

2. Giannis is driving sometimes with reckless abandon. When he zones in like that he loses sight of the rest of the court, puts his shoulder down and charges in to bully/overpower the defense. He is too strong, too fast and too confident on his ability to get to the rim. This can and does get abused by the opponent defense though, either by drawing a charge (selling the contact) or doubling on the rim and forcing him to either do a precarious pass on to the perimeter or try a considerably harder to make off-balance shot.

Most of his TOs this year are not live ball, but either charges or travelling calls. To alleviate that, Giannis has to work on playing smarter in these circumstances, not simply harder (as he does now). I really believe that this lapse is partly a result of the Kidd "energy and effort" influence on him. He simply tries too hard sometimes.

He will get the hang of it, but it is a big adjustment, and he has a lot of work to do. I'm wondering whether Bud using him in the post would help even more. Last year, Giannis posting up was lethal and he is even stronger this year.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#347 » by emunney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:53 am

Sooooo... Giannis is still leading the league in dunks, which is impressive. But what's more impressive is that coming into tonight's Nuggets game he had 32 UNASSISTED dunks. #2 in the league is LaVine with 11. 5 guys have 10.

Giannis had 32.

He had six more dunks tonight. Three were unassisted.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#348 » by Jez2983 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:17 am

emunney wrote:Sooooo... Giannis is still leading the league in dunks, which is impressive. But what's more impressive is that coming into tonight's Nuggets game he had 32 UNASSISTED dunks. #2 in the league is LaVine with 11. 5 guys have 10.

Giannis had 32.

He's actually Shaq. But he can handle the ball and pass.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,737

Post#349 » by yannisk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am

Jez2983 wrote:
emunney wrote:Sooooo... Giannis is still leading the league in dunks, which is impressive. But what's more impressive is that coming into tonight's Nuggets game he had 32 UNASSISTED dunks. #2 in the league is LaVine with 11. 5 guys have 10.

Giannis had 32.

he even shooting the Fts at Shaq rate
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#350 » by Jez2983 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 am

yannisk wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Giannis had 32.

he even shooting the Fts at Shaq rate

That thought occurred but he's clearly not that bad.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#351 » by HKPackFan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:24 am

#FreeChuckDiesel
Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#352 » by Nightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Derrick Williams gave an interview to Greek media before the Euroleague games:

http://www.gazzetta.gr/basketball/euroleague/article/1294311/sygklonizei-o-oyiliams-gia-gianni-einai-pio-axiolatreytos-exo-apo-gipedo

Summary:
He was asked about Giannis and said that he had the pleasure of knowing him outside the field as well due to his friendship with Thanassis. He said that due to his life story, Giannis remains very humble no matter how successful he becomes. He believes that he is already Top 3 next to LBJ and KD, and he has as good chance as any to get MVP this year, but outside the court he is even better even adorable :D .
Nightfall
Sixth Man

Post#353 » by Nightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Giannis had 32.

The current stats :

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_id=2019&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&shot_type=DUNK&is_playoffs=N&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=12&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&order_by=fg

Highlights:
50% are unassisted dunks (35/70).
The second Gobert, has played 2 games more than Giannis
So in 15 Games 140 points made from dunks (without calculating won FTs during dunking). Makes 9.3 Pts/G just from dunking :o
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#354 » by emunney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Nightfall wrote:

Giannis had 32.

The current stats :

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/shot_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_id=2019&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&shot_type=DUNK&is_playoffs=N&q1=Y&q2=Y&q3=Y&q4=Y&q5=Y&time_remain_minutes=12&time_remain_seconds=0&time_remain_comp=le&order_by=fg

Highlights:
So in 15 Games 140 points made from dunks (without calculating won FTs during dunking). Makes 9.3 Pts/G just from dunking :o

...and another 7.7 ppg on layups.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Nightfall
Sixth Man

Post#355 » by Nightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:39 pm

emunney wrote:
Nightfall wrote:

Giannis had 32.

The current stats :

Highlights:

...and another 7.7 ppg on layups.

So 17 PPG from dunks and lay ups. And people say that when he develops jump shot he will be un-guardable...What is he now ?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#356 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#357 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Read on Twitter
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#358 » by glenn » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Surprised he was that candid.
:reporter:
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,622

Post#359 » by blazza18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really sucks the results haven't been there for him so far this season. He's shooting better than the 10% he's currently on.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WimpyDeer
Sophomore
And1: 142

Post#360 » by WimpyDeer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:53 pm

blazza18 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really sucks the results haven't been there for him so far this season. He's shooting better than the 10% he's currently on.

Ehhh.. I don't think a single 3PA from last night looked like it was going in after it left his hand. His mechanics need work. I'm worried Jason Kidd did serious damage to his approach.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks