RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Giannis Thread 

Post#361 » by bizarro » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 pm

WimpyDeer wrote:
blazza18 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really sucks the results haven't been there for him so far this season. He's shooting better than the 10% he's currently on.

Ehhh.. I don't think a single 3PA from last night looked like it was going in after it left his hand. His mechanics need work. I'm worried Jason Kidd did serious damage to his approach.

Doesn’t matter. Last night showed he can get rid of the hitch/glitch in his upward motion. He’s gotta keep letting them fly. Keep putting the work in. Bud is such a blessing for his development.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#362 » by emunney » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Marques thinks there's too much head tilt. Probably true but I think this is a better illustration of the fact that he brings the ball up over his head while he's still dropping his hips to jump.

Read on Twitter
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,900

Post#363 » by Plossum » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm

ESPN has published RPM data for first games of season. Giannis currently ranks 23rd at +3.27. Interestingly, Midds #10 at +4.74 and Bled #14 at +4.32. Brook same as Giannis too. Bodes well for rest of year that multiple guys are having big impact on the floor and it’s not all falling on Giannis.
#LockUpChuck
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#364 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 pm

I've been screaming about the head tilt for years LOL
good to see someone else noticed it
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,900

Post#365 » by Plossum » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm

His form looks fine. He just tends to lean back a bit (agree re head tilt) which seems to upset his balance a bit.
#LockUpChuck
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#366 » by mattg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 pm

His form is not fine lol. It’s closer to completely effed than fine. Emunney nailed it that his entire motion is discombobulated and he brings the ball up before his lower half has risen to match that. His release point has no consistency because of this. IMO his J needs to be rebuilt from the feet up or he will never be a decent shooter. Imagine a jump shot as a wave, like when you shake a blanket/towel out. One wrist flick causes the wave to smoothly pass through the fabric. Now imagine while the towel ripples from that wave if halfway through you flicked your wrists again. That’s where Giannis’ J is right now. The only times his J looks decent is when he shoots instantly off the catch with no hesitation.

Factor in the head tilt, hesitancy to shoot and a few other issues with it and the prognosis is not good.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#367 » by HKPackFan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:33 am

I hope Giannis doesn't have everyone coming up to him being a shot Dr. Too many people changing his form is going to get him confused too.

I remember being new to a sport and everyone wanted to correct me on what to do, it's overwhelming and not helpful.

I trust bud will have someone working with him to fix it and move forward.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#368 » by Coach Carter » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:37 am

Keep shooting? This is bad advice. His form is ugly AF.

I've said it before, he needs to study durant's J, whereby the legs are in sync with the arms and the head is straight.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,401

Post#369 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:16 am

Needs more Tai chi.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#370 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 am

HKPackFan wrote:I remember being new to a sport and everyone wanted to correct me on what to do, it's overwhelming and not helpful.

Did someone come from behind you to show you how to hold your golf club? :D
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#371 » by HKPackFan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:07 am

The Herald is the main newspaper for the Miami area.

I find this article interesting for two reasons:

#1) We are ONE MONTH AWAY and there is an article in the main local paper, about the Bucks coming to town!

#2) WE ARE ONE MONTH AWAY AND A LOCAL NEWSPAPER IS BRINGING UP THE FACT THAT A PLAYER ON THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS WILL BE COMING TO FRIGGIN MIAMI. Miami!?!?!? MIAMI!!!!!!! With more celebrities and banana boat friends then you can count. This is not some little town or small market town, talking about the big news of a new windmill being installed in town which will power the exit sign of the fire station. THIS IS **** MIAMI!!!!!!!!! With Glitz and Glamour and Botox to Rival L.A.

AND THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE ARRIVAL OF GIANNIS ONE MONTH BEFORE IT HAPPENS.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/article221975275.html

A big, fat chunk of Florida’s Greek community is gearing up to support the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo on Dec. 22 when he faces the Miami Heat.

The 23-year-old, 6-foot-11, 242-pounder has been nicknamed the “Greek Freak” due to his dominance on the hardwood. Off the court, he is a gentle giant known for his charity and humble nature.

”There is no drama or flash with Giannis,” said Aleco Haralambides, a Miami attorney and Greek community leader.

“He exhibits classic Greek ideals of humility, hard work and excellence while at the same time coming across as wholesome kid from the neighborhood.”

Haralambides adds: “Gia sou, Giannis!” which is the Greek phrase for “greetings.”

Born in Athens, Giannis Antetokounmpo (pronounced YAHN-iss ah-deh-toh-KOON-boh) is of Nigerian descent. If his name is too hard too pronounce, just call him “John.”

(OK the last line is stupid, that joke is 3-4 years too old) But seriously THey are talking about Giannis coming to town, this city has plenty of stars walking around, and it's never newsworthy. I've been in bars/restaurants/clubs in Miami enough times where there was someone famous there. I remember at a Steakhouse Rodman with a crew of transvestites was parading around the place (I had no idea it was rodman until the waiter told me). If you watched the first couple of season of ballers I've been to all those restaurants and they were plenty of stars/celebs/sports icons in them. MY POINT IS it's usual not noteworthy in miami if a star is in town.

Yet Giannis is coming to Miami in a month, and it's making the news.

We have arrived.

#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#372 » by HKPackFan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:17 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:I remember being new to a sport and everyone wanted to correct me on what to do, it's overwhelming and not helpful.

Did someone come from behind you to show you how to hold your golf club? :D

Argh. I'm trying to learn the sport badminton. Not the american version, the real asian version, hardcore **** man. Difficult to learn. Every ass clown was trying to teach me how to play. I even hired a highly reputed coach, and while I was still learning, every other guy on the court even though they knew I had this super pro coach, they still all wanted to give me pointers.

It just took me a long time to get the muscle memory. My coach told me, tens of thousands of reps, before the muscle memory is there. Now people leave me the **** alone but once in a while I still get attempted advice on the court. There's still a bunch of things I need to refine, it just take a long time and lots of practice. I usually ignore most advice unless it's strategic. How to hold, swing, jump, etc, leave me the **** alone, I'll get it eventually, takes a lot of practice, and my coach knows better, he was a professional and still trains Olympians and professionals, don't need johnny on the spot telling me to hold my racquet at a different angle.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#373 » by Jstock12 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I like Bud telling him to keep shooting them. It's much harder to completely lose confidence in your shot when you know that your coach wants you to shoot even if you miss all of them. Confidence can do wonders. There were plenty of players with **** up mechanics who were great shooters. Obviously, your form is important, but so is the confidence in your ability.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 469

Post#374 » by Ruben Quevedo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Jstock12 wrote:I like Bud telling him to keep shooting them. It's much harder to completely lose confidence in your shot when you know that your coach wants you to shoot even if you miss all of them. Confidence can do wonders. There were plenty of players with **** up mechanics who were great shooters. Obviously, your form is important, but so is the confidence in your ability.

You can have an imperfect form and still be a very good shooter if you have a "talent" for shooting. I don't think Giannis has that.

I'm all about the "let it fly" philosophy, but Giannis' mechanics are so messed up that I doubt more reps will help significantly. Improving his confidence/mentality could get him to 33-35%, but at this point I'd be surprised if he ever does better than that.
emunney
RealGM

Post#375 » by emunney » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:53 pm

mattg wrote:His form is not fine lol. It’s closer to completely effed than fine. Emunney nailed it that his entire motion is discombobulated and he brings the ball up before his lower half has risen to match that. His release point has no consistency because of this. IMO his J needs to be rebuilt from the feet up or he will never be a decent shooter. Imagine a jump shot as a wave, like when you shake a blanket/towel out. One wrist flick causes the wave to smoothly pass through the fabric. Now imagine while the towel ripples from that wave if halfway through you flicked your wrists again. That’s where Giannis’ J is right now. The only times his J looks decent is when he shoots instantly off the catch with no hesitation.

Factor in the head tilt, hesitancy to shoot and a few other issues with it and the prognosis is not good.

Yeah, I wouldn't even bother messing with the small things like the head tilt. Maybe in a few years you can make those little tweaks.

I think the towel snap is a useful way to think about how the power transfer is getting **** up. I would also encourage people to think about how they jump when they're trying to jump as high as they can. You swing your arms back and drop your hips, and your arms and hips come up together so your hips are fully extended as your arms reach up over your head. You don't swing your arms over your head while you're squatting and hold them there while you explode up.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#376 » by Jstock12 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Ruben Quevedo wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:I like Bud telling him to keep shooting them. It's much harder to completely lose confidence in your shot when you know that your coach wants you to shoot even if you miss all of them. Confidence can do wonders. There were plenty of players with **** up mechanics who were great shooters. Obviously, your form is important, but so is the confidence in your ability.

You can have an imperfect form and still be a very good shooter if you have a "talent" for shooting. I don't think Giannis has that.

I'm all about the "let it fly" philosophy, but Giannis' mechanics are so messed up that I doubt more reps will help significantly. Improving his confidence/mentality could get him to 33-35%, but at this point I'd be surprised if he ever does better than that.

35% would be plenty to keep the defenders honest.
Ruben Quevedo
Pro Prospect
And1: 469

Post#377 » by Ruben Quevedo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:07 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Ruben Quevedo wrote:

I'd take 33% and be happy.
Jstock12
RealGM

Post#378 » by Jstock12 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:13 pm

Ruben Quevedo wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Ruben Quevedo wrote:

I'd take 33% and be happy.

I actually thought he'd be a 33% shooter this season, based on the trend from his last 4 seasons.

14-15 15.9%
15-16 25.7%
16-17 27.2%
17-18 30.7%
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#379 » by GB_Packers » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Giannis shooting 33-35 percent from three is all he would need, beyond respectable for a guy with his ability to get to the rim at will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
emunney
RealGM

Post#380 » by emunney » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:19 pm

If he'd hit 24% so far, he'd have an extra ppg.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks