ImageImage

OT: TV and Movie Thread (with spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,977

Re: OT: TV and Movie Thread (with spoilers) 

Post#941 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Nah it's still absolutely awesome. Much better than the middle seasons.
buckbeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#942 » by buckbeer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Think I've been watching too much TV recently. This month I've watched the entire Blindspot seasons 1, 2 and 3, and 15 episodes of season 4, and the first 6 episodes of Billions. Once I start watching, I can't stop.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,231

Post#943 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:53 pm

Last season of GoT was good. Picked up the pace. Lots happened.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#944 » by RRyder823 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Last season was absolutely God awful. Nothing but fan service and characters making stupid decisions that dont fit the characters left and right.

Hopefully DnD do the last season right but everything that they've had to write themselves, post books, has been second rate at best

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#945 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 pm

GoT runs at a different pace in the latter seasons, but has remained a great show. Given the methodical storytelling and constant foreshadowing early on, it kinda needed to evolve into what it is now. You can only tease things so much and they pushed that limit with the Whitewalkers.

ReasonablySober wrote:Nah it's still absolutely awesome. Much better than the middle seasons.

I don't think there's even a noticeable quality dip during any particular stretch. The only season I'd maybe acknowledge that would be 5, but given all that preceded it, you'd almost have to expect that.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#946 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Yea, as a fan there's no way I'm gonna enjoy when the writers give me what I want to see. How horrible after literal years of not doing so.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#947 » by RRyder823 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, as a fan there's no way I'm gonna enjoy when the writers give me what I want to see. How horrible after literal years of not doing so.
Yeah why should a show that gained popularity by defying conventional tropes, giving the audience what they didnt expect and punishing characters for doing stupid things be criticized when all they did was the exact opposite the last season

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#948 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, as a fan there's no way I'm gonna enjoy when the writers give me what I want to see. How horrible after literal years of not doing so.
Yeah why should a show that gained popularity by defying conventional tropes, giving the audience what they didnt expect and punishing characters for doing stupid things be criticized when all they did was the exact opposite the last season

What exactly did you expect to happen? Littlefinger sitting on the Iron Throne at the end? Dany wiped out? Jon Snow to stay dead when he's probably the key figure in the entire lore?

Yea, it's easy to kill off or punish characters along the way, but Martin's books were leading us to where we are now.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#949 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Sure give me more seasons of Dany trying to abolish slavery and an entire kingdom preparing for the biggest war of their lives that'll never happen. The show needed to become at least a little predictable and start paying off what it built toward.

Also, Littlefinger's death was a long-time coming.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#950 » by RRyder823 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

What exactly did you expect to happen? Littlefinger sitting on the Iron Throne at the end? Dany wiped out? Jon Snow to stay dead when he's probably the key figure in the entire lore?

Yea, it's easy to kill off or punish characters along the way, but Martin's books were leading us to where we are now.
I mean there's not making them make stupid decisions that should've led to their death in the first place..... We'll call that option B.

Theres also not making Tyrion come up with stupid plans which was done with the express purpose of getting an Ice Dragon because well.... Ice Dragon (all after Jon decided to level up for no apparent reason)

Or not deciding to spend screen time on a sex scene where the guy has no penis but was added to the story because people "shipped" them

Or Westeros now having Ravens that fly faster then fighter Jets

Or have something they showed at Winterfell mean something leading up to Littlefingers death.

They went very Hollywood story telling in season 7 which isnt what built the show. If you enjoyed the season I get it. There were some great moments. Hell I'll even admit Spoils of War had a great ending but even that lost something when they had Bron reloading and firing a batista by himself in the span of 10 minutes and then had Jamie swim under water in full plate armour.

Go Epic. It's what the shows been leading up to. But those epic moments should be led up to with better story telling

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#951 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:05 am

Why should we expect any of the characters be incapable of making stupid decisions? What does that criticism even mean? That can't be the crux of this argument.

The travel thing is stupid and never bothers me. This is a land of magic and dragons. Who the hell is to say that ravens can't fly faster than fighter jets. It's fantasy FFS.

Tyrion's a drunk with no military training. He should have been over his head earlier in the series but no one complained then.

Or not deciding to spend screen time on a sex scene where the guy has no penis but was added to the story because people "shipped" them

Dude. Mouth stuff.

As has been mentioned, Littlefinger had it long coming. Sansa should have had him killed over Ramsey alone.
Bucksfan28
General Manager

Post#952 » by Bucksfan28 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 am

New stranger things trailer is **** dope
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#953 » by RRyder823 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:26 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Why should we expect any of the characters be incapable of making stupid decisions? What does that criticism even mean? That can't be the crux of this argument.

The travel thing is stupid and never bothers me. This is a land of magic and dragons. Who the hell is to say that ravens can't fly faster than fighter jets. It's fantasy FFS.

Tyrion's a drunk with no military training. He should have been over his head earlier in the series but no one complained then.

Dude. Mouth stuff.

As has been mentioned, Littlefinger had it long coming. Sansa should have had him killed over Ramsey alone.
It's not that they should be incapable of making stupid decisions. But if you going to have them make mind boggling stupid one then in the world GoTs has provided people generally die.

I get you dont have a problem with the Ravens flying faster then Jets but they have established rules in that world and they simply dont. And the problem is simply such an easy fix it makes it even sillier. Just have Dany chilling at the wall as backup. Problem solved

Never said Littlefinger didnt have it comming. Problem is they could've done that the moment Bran showed up at Winterfell. Literally no need for the Sansa Arya story arc.

I get the Tyrion point. That said hes been established as a very smart character and season 7 is nothing but him comming up with bad ideas.

You liked it. I hated it. Different tastes I guess.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#954 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 pm

I didn't expect a TV death to hit me as hard as the one on The Rookie in the last episode. But welp, here I am, totally destroyed.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#955 » by skones » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Lost in all of the hooplah about GOT are the two little gems in Crashing and High Maintenance. Both are very very good.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#956 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Watched The Dirt last night. Fun movie on motley Crue, good work Netflix.

I get the 'problematic' reviews and then some that feel it was too tame but if you go in knowing motley Crue was problematic and it's a Netflix movie so obviously couldn't be rated X and just take it for what it is it's a fine look at a crazy ass band.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,722

Post#957 » by HaroldinGMinor » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:41 pm

The most ridiculous thing that happened on last season's GoT was when Euron Greyjoy found Yara and the Sandsnakes in the dark in the middle of the ocean.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#958 » by MissKhriddleton » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:00 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:The most ridiculous thing that happened on last season's GoT was when Euron Greyjoy found Yara and the Sandsnakes in the dark in the middle of the ocean.

But magic.

Last season of GOT sucked hard.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#959 » by RRyder823 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:25 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:The most ridiculous thing that happened on last season's GoT was when Euron Greyjoy found Yara and the Sandsnakes in the dark in the middle of the ocean.
That was bad. I have a bigger issue with him actually being able to build a fleats worth of ships in a year or two

Nightfall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,278

Post#960 » by Nightfall » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:05 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
That was bad. I have a bigger issue with him actually being able to build a fleats worth of ships in a year or two

Not only that :lol:
Spoiler:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks