ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1261 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Jul 5, 2019 12:09 am

I've never played a Borderlands game and the Handsome Collection is $5.90 on Steam right now, think I'll pick that up. Also going to grab Doom, Rainbow Six Siege, and XCOM2.
#FreeChuckDiesel
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#1262 » by jschligs » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:09 pm

Amazon, Best Buy and Gamestop have Civ VI available for $30 on Switch right now. Have been meaning to pick this up for travel.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#1263 » by BMatt07 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:30 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I've never played a Borderlands game and the Handsome Collection is $5.90 on Steam right now, think I'll pick that up. Also going to grab Doom, Rainbow Six Siege, and XCOM2.

Borderlands 2 is absolutely fantastic, my favorite game of last generation.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#1264 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 am

Need some PC help. The budget desktop I originally built for gaming-only (with low/mid graphic needs) has turned into my daily driver. PoE is a demanding game to run well because of the amount of things happening on the screen, and honestly I'm 100% back-in on PC gaming for the first time since my early 20s, so I'm down to upgrade there regardless. I also work a lot on it and run multiple Google Drive, document, Outlook, DocuSign, media windows running at once. The PC I build is performing admirably, but it just can't handle this load well.

So I'm hoping I can upgrade what I built vs. starting brand new. Would a CPU/GPU/PSU (if needed) upgrade work? It looks to me like my mobo was updated to be compatible with the newest Ryzen 3rd gen with a BIOS update...I just don't know how to do that really, and still don't know if it's smart to do so.

I don't have a budget per se, but I'd like to stay $500-600 if possible. I can go higher if I can really future proof the thing. One other thing to note is that I have dual 2K monitors and don't plan to upgrade anytime soon - I do not need to build for 4K. I also don't need to build for ultra settings on games. I guess high would be nice, and I know PoE takes a lot of processing power regardless. I don't know if that is a different kind of power than graphic realism or whatever.

Thoughts? I asked Reddit also, and someone suggested a Ryzen 5 3600 + GXF 1070 8GB, which would be ~$700 retail. I could watch sales to try to get a bit lower. Just not sure if it's best action.

Also would be open to a new cooler. I never even used the one I got, because it needed an attachment and I never cared to figure it out, as the cooling was fine with what was on-board on the GPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nNn7WD
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1265 » by jschligs » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I would give it a couple of weeks until the Sapphire 5700 XT comes out. The non-Sapphire version came out and it’s benching marking as the best bang for the buck in a long time, just the fan is crap. Couple that with the new Ryzen 3000 series that just came out recently and you’d be set for half a decade.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1266 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:28 pm

jschligs wrote:I would give it a couple of weeks until the Sapphire 5700 XT comes out. The non-Sapphire version came out and it’s benching marking as the best bang for the buck in a long time, just the fan is crap. Couple that with the new Ryzen 3000 series that just came out recently and you’d be set for half a decade.

Cool. That's what I'm going for, so I'll heed your advice and wait a bit.

These custom-cooled ones from Sapphire - would I still need a dedicated cooler? I don't have the one from the original build installed :P
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,954

Post#1267 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Hmm. As someone who doesn't enjoy busywork (ala Red Dead Redemption 2) I'm a little worried about new Fire Emblem.

That said, I read a preview in Kotaku and the author said she loved all the interactions with the students.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1268 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Hmm. As someone who doesn't enjoy busywork (ala Red Dead Redemption 2) I'm a little worried about new Fire Emblem.

That said, I read a preview in Kotaku and the author said she loved all the interactions with the students.

I was initially worried, as well. Still am, but am hopeful it isn't as bad as it could be. I've got some hands-on preview videos queued-up to watch on YT this evening.

Switch is suddenly loaded with games I want to play. This comes out in a couple weeks and will totally consume my life, but also want to play DQ Builders 2 (came out today), and Marvel Alliance 3 comes out next week - no news on that game yet, so not sure if it will be good or not, but 2 was wonderful back in the day.

Also have SMM2 which is quite a good time. Happy to be headed back to the Switch for a while.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#1269 » by jschligs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:59 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
jschligs wrote:I would give it a couple of weeks until the Sapphire 5700 XT comes out. The non-Sapphire version came out and it’s benching marking as the best bang for the buck in a long time, just the fan is crap. Couple that with the new Ryzen 3000 series that just came out recently and you’d be set for half a decade.

Cool. That's what I'm going for, so I'll heed your advice and wait a bit.

These custom-cooled ones from Sapphire - would I still need a dedicated cooler? I don't have the one from the original build installed :P

The stock fans on the Sapphires are much better than the first party ones AMD makes. It'll be great for what you're doing so you won't need to change anyything out.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1270 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:13 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I was initially worried, as well. Still am, but am hopeful it isn't as bad as it could be. I've got some hands-on preview videos queued-up to watch on YT this evening.

Switch is suddenly loaded with games I want to play. This comes out in a couple weeks and will totally consume my life, but also want to play DQ Builders 2 (came out today), and Marvel Alliance 3 comes out next week - no news on that game yet, so not sure if it will be good or not, but 2 was wonderful back in the day.

Also have SMM2 which is quite a good time. Happy to be headed back to the Switch for a while.

It is sounding to me like Fire Emblem integrating some aspects of Persona, which I am 100% all-in for.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1271 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

It is sounding to me like Fire Emblem integrating some aspects of Persona, which I am 100% all-in for.

Yea, you're first one I thought of when I started seeing people say Fire Emblem is now a Persona game.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1272 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

BMatt07 wrote:

Just fully ascended for the first time. Between that and beating Elder (yellow), I think I'm probably throwing in the towel this league once I get to 90. That's a nice trifecta of goals.

Still playing?
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#1273 » by StickeeFingaz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 pm

I've been getting back into Apex Legends since Season 2 started. Still getting used to mouse and keyboard though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1274 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:12 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, you're first one I thought of when I started seeing people say Fire Emblem is now a Persona game.

If you're worried, I'd suggest checking out some longer-form, non-IGN videos. I know you've said you typically like the shorter videos (at least for reviews), but pretty much everyone other than IGN has gone into much more detail on what the non-combat elements involve. Either for or against, it might give you a better idea of what to expect and if you'll be cool with it or not.

I've watched/read Kotaku, Polygon, GameXplain, and NintendoLife this evening. GameXplain's video in particular is excellent.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1275 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Yea, you're first one I thought of when I started seeing people say Fire Emblem is now a Persona game.

If you're worried, I'd suggest checking out some longer-form, non-IGN videos. I know you've said you typically like the shorter videos (at least for reviews), but pretty much everyone other than IGN has gone into much more detail on what the non-combat elements involve. Either for or against, it might give you a better idea of what to expect and if you'll be cool with it or not.

I've watched/read Kotaku, Polygon, GameXplain, and NintendoLife this evening. GameXplain's video in particular is excellent.

I watched a lot of video and read a lot of impressions, and I think what I'm most encouraged about is you can auto-train, though I don't think that's a good thing. I just really hate busywork (unless busywork IS the game ala Stardew). But the problem is obviously if you don't train and do the wandering around the castle you probably don't get to know the characters.

I don't know. I hope when the final reviews start coming in they're gonna say the game ramps up in the back half (or sooner).
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#1276 » by Sauce Boss » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:40 pm

I was a little tepid for the new Fire Emblem, but I’m feeling reassured by recent articles and videos. It seems as though it has some bones to it with the school interactions. I’ve been playing Valkyria Chronicles 4 as a holdover, but as much as I enjoy it the character development is non-existent by comparison. So I’m feeling pretty good about Fire Emblem at the moment.

I also broke down yesterday and bought Super Mario Maker 2. I’m loving it so far. The single player is ostensibly bare-bones, but I’m throughly enjoying it as a string of well made Mario maps. We’ll see if it has legs once I dive into creation tools and community maps.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#1277 » by TroyD92 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm super excited for the new fire emblem. I'll finally buy a switch for it.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1278 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:04 pm

I downloaded the DQB2 demo, and it's so much damn fun. I don't know how this will impact my FE purchase in 12 days (probably not at all), but I'm thinking I might pick-up DQB2 right now. I planned to wait until after FE when it might be on sale or whatever...but I'm weak.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1279 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am

I think I stopped playing Breath of the Wild after finishing two of the main bosses and having like 25% done. Picking it up again and all it's done (new playthrough, I don't remember much about the first) and it's hard for me to come up with a negative about it. Might be the perfect game.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#1280 » by BMatt07 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:46 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
BMatt07 wrote:

Just fully ascended for the first time. Between that and beating Elder (yellow), I think I'm probably throwing in the towel this league once I get to 90. That's a nice trifecta of goals.

Still playing?

Yeah I'm still playing my Cyclone Slayer, although I'm losing some steam lol.

I've beat all content, it's gotten to the point where I'm really just min-maxing at this point. I think the only upgrade I really need at this point is a watcher's eye jewel with double Pride modifiers, which are selling for around 50 exalts at the moment.

Not sure if I have the will to grind the currency to buy one lol.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks