And1: 34,743

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1281 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:51 pm

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,589

Post#1282 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm

DQB2 is so fun. I stayed up into the early morning hours playing and I didn't even realize it. There are so many QOL improvements over the first game. If anyone is remotely interested I'd encourage you to check it out.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#1283 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Anyone do any Amazon Prime shopping today?

I bought a battery pack and got the free $5 credit for picking up a $25 gift card. I also got the $10 whole foods discount, too.

I was thinking of buying one of these echo dot + philips hue bundles, but I found out that I can't use my original first generation echo to trigger the bulbs, which essentially defeated the purpose of the bundle.

Theoretically, I was hoping I could use the first generation echo to trigger the echo dot to turn on the bulbs, but I was told by Amazon that it wouldn't work - I'd need to either buy a philips hub or upgrade my first generation echo to have any interaction between the bulbs and the echo.

Otherwise, I'd have to rely on the dot to turn on the bulbs, and the dot was going in my bedroom and the bulbs were going in my living room (where the echo is) so that won't work.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1284 » by jschligs » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 am

humanrefutation wrote:Anyone do any Amazon Prime shopping today?

I bought a battery pack and got the free $5 credit for picking up a $25 gift card. I also got the $10 whole foods discount, too.

I was thinking of buying one of these echo dot + philips hue bundles, but I found out that I can't use my original first generation echo to trigger the bulbs, which essentially defeated the purpose of the bundle.

Theoretically, I was hoping I could use the first generation echo to trigger the echo dot to turn on the bulbs, but I was told by Amazon that it wouldn't work - I'd need to either buy a philips hub or upgrade my first generation echo to have any interaction between the bulbs and the echo.

Otherwise, I'd have to rely on the dot to turn on the bulbs, and the dot was going in my bedroom and the bulbs were going in my living room (where the echo is) so that won't work.

Mostly small crap. Bought a couple Fire Sticks for basement bar TV and couch area TV, Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted Drake's Collection and that was it. The sale was pretty meh as per usual.

I've been meaning to get a Hue, but I really struggle to pay that much for lightbulbs. Are they really that great?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1285 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 am

I'm pretty sure the 4K Firestick and Echo Dot was a mistake because the deal was only live for about 15 minutes. They honored the purchase, though.

As for everything else nothing really tempted me. There's a bunch of gaming sales but my backlog and the fact that FE is coming out next week means it didn't make sense for me to get anything.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1286 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 am

jschligs wrote:I've been meaning to get a Hue, but I really struggle to pay that much for lightbulbs. Are they really that great?

I don't own any. But one of my coworkers bought several of the color bulbs and has them connected to his echo products and he swears by them. Apparently certain colors look pretty cool and help him relax.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 964

Post#1287 » by Ryan5UW » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:46 am

I have a bunch of Lifx smart bulbs - some that go the full color gamut, some that are tunable white. I love them, they're easy to set up and control (via Alexa or just the app) and I really like that they have a "mini" bulb that fits perfectly into some can lights I have in my kitchen... plus you don't need a hub.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1288 » by crkone » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/17/20697601/nintendo-switch-new-model-battery-life-improvements?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Nintendo is unveiling an updated version of its Switch console today, with promises of improved battery life. The new model will include approximately two extra hours of battery life, bringing the estimates of usage to between 4.5 hours and 9 hours. Nintendo’s current Switch has an estimated battery life of between 2.5 hours and 6.5 hours.

Nintendo’s Switch product page doesn’t reveal exactly how the company has achieved this improved battery life, but it’s likely thanks to a new system-on-chip inside and updated memory. A recent FCC listing revealed that Nintendo was planning to update the Switch with a new CPU and storage. This new model, dubbed HAC-001(-01), should start appearing in stores soon. You’ll need to check for serial numbers starting with XKW to make sure you get the model with the best battery life.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1289 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Looking for some advice on wireless ear buds.

Wasn't sure I'd like totally wireless earbuds so went with some cheap enacfire ones off Amazon. They worked great so if anyone is looking for a cheap option I give them a thumbs up.

Now want to upgrade to something a little nicer. I'm not an Apple guy and don't like the look so those are out. Debating between the Jabra elite 65T or the Samsung Galaxy buds. I use them for work calls (and music, pods,ect) so call quality is very important for me. The Jabras have great reviews for that but are a little bigger than my current buds and I don't love that the left is a slave to the right. More mixed reviews on the Samsung's call quality but they check the other boxes for me.

Currious if anyone has either brand and your experience especially with call quality. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,219

Post#1290 » by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Looking for some advice on wireless ear buds.

Wasn't sure I'd like totally wireless earbuds so went with some cheap enacfire ones off Amazon. They worked great so if anyone is looking for a cheap option I give them a thumbs up.

Now want to upgrade to something a little nicer. I'm not an Apple guy and don't like the look so those are out. Debating between the Jabra elite 65T or the Samsung Galaxy buds. I use them for work calls (and music, pods,ect) so call quality is very important for me. The Jabras have great reviews for that but are a little bigger than my current buds and I don't love that the left is a slave to the right. More mixed reviews on the Samsung's call quality but they check the other boxes for me.

Currious if anyone has either brand and your experience especially with call quality. Thanks

I went with the Jabra elite 65T. Much richer sound and more bass than air pods. The Apple airpods were okay when I used them, but they don't fit my ears very well. Jabra fits seamlessly in my ears and I don't feel like they're going to fall out when I'm at the gym. Also the voice assistance was pretty good on them as well. Really depends what you want to use them for. I mainly just use them for the gym and stick with my Sony MX3's for anything at home or on an airplane etc. They are also fine in the Sauna or steam room if you do that sort of thing.

I'll also throw in that the Bose Soundsport free are decent too.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Bucknado
Sixth Man
And1: 1,195

Post#1291 » by Bucknado » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:45 pm

I have smart lightbulbs, thermostat, doorbell, cameras, etc. all connected to Alexa and love them. My wife thought it was dumb and expensive at first but now when she is lying in bed and can tell Alexa to turn up the AC and turn off all of the lights in the house, she can't go back.

We also have sensors on the doors and windows. If you open the front door in the evening, the hallway lights come on. We can also adjust the temp in our house while we are on vacation.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1292 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 am

Matches Malone wrote:

I went with the Jabra elite 65T. Much richer sound and more bass than air pods. The Apple airpods were okay when I used them, but they don't fit my ears very well. Jabra fits seamlessly in my ears and I don't feel like they're going to fall out when I'm at the gym. Also the voice assistance was pretty good on them as well. Really depends what you want to use them for. I mainly just use them for the gym and stick with my Sony MX3's for anything at home or on an airplane etc. They are also fine in the Sauna or steam room if you do that sort of thing.

This is what I have, also. The "sport" version, which has a slightly higher water resistance (sweat). They're great thus far. Don't fall out while running. Connect easily. The biggest downfall honestly is that the case is a PITA to open, which is super minor.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 964

Post#1293 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:56 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

This is what I have, also. The "sport" version, which has a slightly higher water resistance (sweat). They're great thus far. Don't fall out while running. Connect easily. The biggest downfall honestly is that the case is a PITA to open, which is super minor.

That’s exactly what I have too - the sport version Jabras. Absolutely love them, no complaints at all. My case isn’t all that bad to open actually. I’d buy them again or give them as a gift, they’re great.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 75

Post#1294 » by gbmb34 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:12 am

Ryan5UW wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

That’s exactly what I have too - the sport version Jabras. Absolutely love them, no complaints at all. My case isn’t all that bad to open actually. I’d buy them again or give them as a gift, they’re great.

I actually didn't love the Jabras (sport or otherwise) so I bought a pair from Anker.

Wife lost one of the buds so I was hoping for a prime deal on these Anker ones but I ended up biting the bullet and grabbing another pair of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GKHYVM8/ref=sr_1_10?camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B07GKHYVM8&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&sr=1-10&tag=ianker-20

The sound quality isn't quite as good if you are super into music but the 100 hours with the case and 8 hours on a charge is a real game changer. A lot will depend on your wants and needs but these also work great for exercising and are a little bit cheaper.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1295 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Battery life isn't super important to me as I strictly use ear buds for exercise. I have Sony 1000MX3s for travel and general use, and a wired Sennheiser pair for my office when I want to zone out (or in). But yeah, I also know having about $1000 worth of headphones is a luxury and most people only need/want/have one pair. So I can see why battery life is important in ear buds... I guess my point being that I think it's overall less important than in a "normal" headphone style as there definitely is a demo that uses them just for exercise in short bursts.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#1296 » by jschligs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:12 pm

crkone wrote:https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/17/20697601/nintendo-switch-new-model-battery-life-improvements?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Nintendo is unveiling an updated version of its Switch console today, with promises of improved battery life. The new model will include approximately two extra hours of battery life, bringing the estimates of usage to between 4.5 hours and 9 hours. Nintendo’s current Switch has an estimated battery life of between 2.5 hours and 6.5 hours.

Nintendo’s Switch product page doesn’t reveal exactly how the company has achieved this improved battery life, but it’s likely thanks to a new system-on-chip inside and updated memory. A recent FCC listing revealed that Nintendo was planning to update the Switch with a new CPU and storage. This new model, dubbed HAC-001(-01), should start appearing in stores soon. You’ll need to check for serial numbers starting with XKW to make sure you get the model with the best battery life.

I would actually buy the new Switch just for the battery life. I never play it docked, usually about 30-60 minutes before I fall asleep and my fiance gets ready for bed and then when I travel.

My thought was to buy the new one and then mod my old one. I haven't seen any incredibly stable emulators on it yet, but saw one that was able to run the original Xbox. Give it 10 months and I bet there is a stable version.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1297 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:07 am

Read a really great essay on Polygon today about Fight Nighy Champion and how the guy stressed how great the story mode was and how the game itself holds up. I remembered liking it when it came out almost ten years ago so I picked up a digital DL for the Xbone. Can confirm. This is a fighting game that completely whips ass. I really should be going to sleep but I’m about 30% through the story mode and I can’t put it down.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1298 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:43 am

Matches Malone wrote:

I just ordered a pair of the Jabra Elite 65t - they were on sale for $114.99 on Prime Day with 20% cash back on my Prime Visa Card, bringing the cost down to about $95. I had been reading reviews online and it seemed like all of the tech sites I visit gave it glowing ratings, but the reviews on Amazon were much less stellar. Figured at that price, they were at least worth a trial run.

I used them for the first time today while running errands, and I'm still not completely sure they're for me. The fit is good (once you actually insert them correctly - I was doing it wrong for the first hour). The sound quality isn't amazing, but it still solid. The hearthrough feature is nice. The case is nifty - it's cool to have my music start piping through the headphones the moment I put the right one in - but I wish it wasn't made of plastic. I'm not sure I like the ear tips, either. My biggest issue came with the sound cutting out of them a few times when I was shopping - might have been random, but it was a concern. I'm going to mess around with them for the next week to so before making a final call.

Out of curiosity, are you using the standard 65t at the gym or the "Active" 65t? I'm not sure if the standard ones I bought are going to be gym friendly.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,219

Post#1299 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:58 am

humanrefutation wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I just ordered a pair of the Jabra Elite 65t - they were on sale for $114.99 on Prime Day with 20% cash back on my Prime Visa Card, bringing the cost down to about $95. I had been reading reviews online and it seemed like all of the tech sites I visit gave it glowing ratings, but the reviews on Amazon were much less stellar. Figured at that price, they were at least worth a trial run.

I used them for the first time today while running errands, and I'm still not completely sure they're for me. The fit is good (once you actually insert them correctly - I was doing it wrong for the first hour). The sound quality isn't amazing, but it still solid. The hearthrough feature is nice. The case is nifty - it's cool to have my music start piping through the headphones the moment I put the right one in - but I wish it wasn't made of plastic. I'm not sure I like the ear tips, either. My biggest issue came with the sound cutting out of them a few times when I was shopping - might have been random, but it was a concern. I'm going to mess around with them for the next week to so before making a final call.

Out of curiosity, are you using the standard 65t at the gym or the "Active" 65t? I'm not sure if the standard ones I bought are going to be gym friendly.

I should have been more specific in my post. They are the active version. I believe they come with added grip and sweat/water protection.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1300 » by humanrefutation » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:03 am

humanrefutation wrote:
jschligs wrote:I've been meaning to get a Hue, but I really struggle to pay that much for lightbulbs. Are they really that great?

I don't own any. But one of my coworkers bought several of the color bulbs and has them connected to his echo products and he swears by them. Apparently certain colors look pretty cool and help him relax.

Just an an update to this - I ended up picking up a starter pack - 3 color bulbs and a hub - for $99. Connects to my Echo. Installation was seamless. The colors are quite vivid. Controlling everything with Alexa is really nice. You can even set "Routines" with Alexa, where depending on what you say, the bulbs will react. I created some custom ones for me - like, when I say "Alexa, I'm leaving" the bulbs will turn off and anything I'm listening to on my Echo devices will stop. It's very easy to do and works very well.

I downloaded a couple apps to add some nice scenes. The effects are cool - even a bit trippy. I loved having the "storm" scene on today where the bulbs were fading from Grey to Blue to popping white with "lightning."

The only complaint I have so far is that these bulbs are about 10-20% dimmer than the bulbs I replaced. My only solution will be to add another lamp to my living room, which isn't a huge deal, but means I'll have to buy another bulb. I'll just wait for a sale to do so.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks