OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1921 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:14 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:I’ve been traveling so much that I haven’t played Outer Worlds much. My laptop is more powerful than my desktop, but it just doesn’t seem like the right experience for the game.

So I downloaded BG2 again for another run through it in prep for BG3, hopefully next year. Downloaded some new mods with updated classes, weapons, abilities. It didn’t age perfectly, but it’s done pretty damn well for a 20 year old game. The story and quests and characters are timeless. Reinforces it being part of my video game pantheon.

Did you play Divinity Original Sin 2 yet?

Yep, at release. Wonderful game. One of the reasons I'm so happy that Obsidian got the contract for BG3.

ETA: Sorry, I meant Larian. I have Obsidian on my mind from Outer Worlds, and replaying BG2.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,017

Post#1922 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 am

God damn the Outer World story was weak as hell.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1923 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:52 pm

PoE 2 (formerly 4.0) looks in.sane. They also announced the next league, revamped end game, Mac OS, and a beta mobile. That was intense.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1924 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Having some fun with with Jedi: The Fallen Order, though not as much fun as I was with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I loved the 2013 reboot. I don't know why I never played the sequels. I Red Box'd Jedi so I'm gonna complete that, then go back to TR.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,139

Post#1925 » by BMatt07 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 am

MikeIsGood wrote:PoE 2 (formerly 4.0) looks in.sane. They also announced the next league, revamped end game, Mac OS, and a beta mobile. That was intense.

I don't understand how those developers can churn out content at such an accelerated rate. Either way, I cannot wait to jump back in for this upcoming league.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/dwtnsj/exilecon_information_and_reveals_thread/
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1926 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:37 am

BMatt07 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:PoE 2 (formerly 4.0) looks in.sane. They also announced the next league, revamped end game, Mac OS, and a beta mobile. That was intense.

I don't understand how those developers can churn out content at such an accelerated rate. Either way, I cannot wait to jump back in for this upcoming league.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/dwtnsj/exilecon_information_and_reveals_thread/

Did you play 3.8? I intended to skip the league, and I'd still like to really, but I'm finding it hard to resist. I fired it up tonight and am having a blast. I will probably end up playing through the weekend. I am so hyped.
Whiteman
Rookie
And1: 209

Post#1927 » by Whiteman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 pm

Hearthstone battlegrounds are damn addictive. Not sure how long they can keep it interesting, but for now it's a great addition.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1928 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:10 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Having some fun with with Jedi: The Fallen Order, though not as much fun as I was with Rise of the Tomb Raider. I loved the 2013 reboot. I don't know why I never played the sequels. I Red Box'd Jedi so I'm gonna complete that, then go back to TR.

There is absolutely nothing I hate more in a game than one that doesn't respect the player's time. Jedi does this with some puzzles and backtracking and I rage quit about 25% of the way through. I'm pissed because in there is a really entertaining action game.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#1929 » by chuckleslove » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:49 am

Half-Life: Alyx

I don't have a clue what it is yet but yeah.

I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#1930 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:22 am

Anyone buy Stadia yet? Thoughts on it? Thinking about doing it since I travel a bunch.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1931 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:35 am

SupremeHustle wrote:Anyone buy Stadia yet? Thoughts on it? Thinking about doing it since I travel a bunch.

I wanted to believe in this thing but everyone says don't do it. Maybe six months from now.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1932 » by jschligs » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:Anyone buy Stadia yet? Thoughts on it? Thinking about doing it since I travel a bunch.

I wanted to believe in this thing but everyone says don't do it. Maybe six months from now.

1. Thank you for changing your avatar back to my #1 girl, Olivia.

2. Avoid Stadia at all costs right now. I have not heard one good thing about it except for from a few reviewers that I question. If you have data caps, which many ISPs do, good luck playing more than a few days.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,044

Post#1933 » by Siefer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 pm

I know I'm about 4 months late on this, but Fire Emblem: Three Houses is great. Just hit the time skip (~40 hours) and apparently I'm on the "weird route."

Spoiler:
I'm playing as Black Eagles, and I took Edelgard's side in the conflict with the church.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1934 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Anyone want to give me some gut-check build advice? I think I'm settling into what I might want to do to upgrade. I haven't managed to get any feedback on Reddit, unfortunately.

Current setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrclark3/saved/L6mccf
  1. R3 1300X
  2. Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4
  3. Memory: 16GB
  4. GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
  5. PSU: 550X 80+ Bronze
  6. Case: Fractal Design Define C ATX Midtower
  7. Monitors: Dual 27" 2K, 60hz, IPS

Targeted upgrades:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrclark3/saved/mHxx6h
  1. CPU: R5 3600 - $194
  2. GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8GB Windforce OC 3x - $500

The budget build was fine when I wasn't sure how much I'd game and I didn't use the machine for anything else. Since then, it's become my main machine, I've switched from a mounted TV to dual IPS monitors, and it is not handling multitasking super well. It's workable...but I want to upgrade.

I'd prefer to upgrade rather than start over. From what I've gathered, this CPU/GPU combo compliments nicely. I'd like to stick to Nvidia cards because I don't want to deal with all of the driver issues the 5700xts have. I also want to future-proof these two components as much as reasonably possible, as it's the two expensive parts (aside from monitors).

I've confirmed the triple-fan card fits in my case with room to spare (though I am open to gut-checks if anyone is dubious). The 2070S cards recommend 650W PSUs; however, what I have gathered online from most sources if that 550W is enough unless you plan to do significant overclocking - which I will do none of, aside from what is done factory on an OC card. Per PCPP build, this should be a 400W power build.

The mobo will need two bios updates. This is the part I am most nervous about. Again, what I have gathered online is that people don't have issues with this and 3600 compatibility (aside from day-one), but as someone lacking experience it makes me more nervous. I would prefer not to replace the mobo right now, as it seems like it would ultimately become a full new build replacing the memory with it. And if I'm completely starting over, I might wait another year.

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Am I crazy? Bottlenecking myself somewhere? Ugh.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#1935 » by TroyD92 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:46 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Anyone want to give me some gut-check build advice? I think I'm settling into what I might want to do to upgrade. I haven't managed to get any feedback on Reddit, unfortunately.

Current setup:
  1. R3 1300X

Targeted upgrades:

The budget build was fine when I wasn't sure how much I'd game and I didn't use the machine for anything else. Since then, it's become my main machine, I've switched from a mounted TV to dual IPS monitors, and it is not handling multitasking super well. It's workable...but I want to upgrade.

I'd prefer to upgrade rather than start over. From what I've gathered, this CPU/GPU combo compliments nicely. I'd like to stick to Nvidia cards because I don't want to deal with all of the driver issues the 5700xts have. I also want to future-proof these two components as much as reasonably possible, as it's the two expensive parts (aside from monitors).

I've confirmed the triple-fan card fits in my case with room to spare (though I am open to gut-checks if anyone is dubious). The 2070S cards recommend 650W PSUs; however, what I have gathered online from most sources if that 550W is enough unless you plan to do significant overclocking - which I will do none of, aside from what is done factory on an OC card. Per PCPP build, this should be a 400W power build.

The mobo will need two bios updates. This is the part I am most nervous about. Again, what I have gathered online is that people don't have issues with this and 3600 compatibility (aside from day-one), but as someone lacking experience it makes me more nervous. I would prefer not to replace the mobo right now, as it seems like it would ultimately become a full new build replacing the memory with it. And if I'm completely starting over, I might wait another year.

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? Am I crazy? Bottlenecking myself somewhere? Ugh.

Honestly the biggest bottle neck I can see is that you only have 16gb Of ram, but it does depend a bit what you use your pc for. For example I do a lot of production work on mine and that can be very strenuous on ram (I use 32gb). Bios are extremely easy to update and most are relatively streamlined. You’ll just need to download/extract to a usb storage and load them from the boot menu. Almost all modern bios have an option to create a backup as well so I wouldn’t worry as much as you are about it. Just pull up a video or guide on your phone and follow it step by step for your first time and you’ll be fine (worse case scenario you’ll have the backup)
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1936 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Anyone want to give me some gut-check build advice? I think I'm settling into what I might want to do to upgrade. I haven't managed to get any feedback on Reddit, unfortunately.

Current setup:
  1. R3 1300X

Targeted upgrades:

Honestly the biggest bottle neck I can see is that you only have 16gb Of ram, but it does depend a bit what you use your pc for. For example I do a lot of production work on mine and that can be very strenuous on ram (I use 32gb). Bios are extremely easy to update and most are relatively streamlined. You’ll just need to download/extract to a usb storage and load them from the boot menu. Almost all modern bios have an option to create a backup as well so I wouldn’t worry as much as you are about it. Just pull up a video or guide on your phone and follow it step by step for your first time and you’ll be fine (worse case scenario you’ll have the backup)

Thank you - I forgot to mention what I use the machine for now.

I game, do some work (online SaaS apps, like Jira, as well as Slack), stream, and photo edit. I have IPS displays because of the editing piece. Not like "iPhoto" photo editing, but Lightroom. I don't see this as something I do so often that I need a crazy processor, but true color definition is important to me.

I can certainly upgrade to 32GB if it will help. I'm not worried too much about investing more money in RAM, especially if my mobo will get through bios updates successfully. I have multiple external HDs, so what you describe shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I'll get some more RAM, if nothing else, just to future proof.
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#1937 » by TroyD92 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:05 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:

Current setup:
  1. R3 1300X

Targeted upgrades:

Thank you - I forgot to mention what I use the machine for now.

I game, do some work (online SaaS apps, like Jira, as well as Slack), stream, and photo edit. I have IPS displays because of the editing piece. Not like "iPhoto" photo editing, but Lightroom. I don't see this as something I do so often that I need a crazy processor, but true color definition is important to me.

I can certainly upgrade to 32GB if it will help. I'm not worried too much about investing more money in RAM, especially if my mobo will get through bios updates successfully. I have multiple external HDs, so what you describe shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I'll get some more RAM, if nothing else, just to future proof.

Ram is one of the best long term investments especially now that DDR5 is coming out sometime next year. So you might want to wait until that releases. I’d really recommend a dedicated USB stick instead of a external hard drive. Also make sure to not remove the usb until after you can use see/use the desktop (just to be safe)
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#1938 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Ram is one of the best long term investments especially now that DDR5 is coming out sometime next year. So you might want to wait until that releases. I’d really recommend a dedicated USB stick instead of a external hard drive. Also make sure to not remove the usb until after you can use see/use the desktop (just to be safe)

I can get another 2 sticks of what I have now for $65, so I'll do that. That's easy. Good to know about the usb stick - will order one. Don't think I've had one in about 2 decades :lol:
TroyD92
RealGM

Post#1939 » by TroyD92 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:Ram is one of the best long term investments especially now that DDR5 is coming out sometime next year. So you might want to wait until that releases. I’d really recommend a dedicated USB stick instead of a external hard drive. Also make sure to not remove the usb until after you can use see/use the desktop (just to be safe)

I can get another 2 sticks of what I have now for $65, so I'll do that. That's easy. Good to know about the usb stick - will order one. Don't think I've had one in about 2 decades :lol:

Haha I have two, one I used for projects when I was in college and another for installing new OS's.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1940 » by jschligs » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:14 am

Will echo what Troy said, and I’m super jealous of the 2070 Super. If I wasn’t buying a truck I’d be all over it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks